PDA

View Full Version : Hoops regroups

bornadog
30-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/137277/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbandrewhooper246c.jpg

Breaking a personal best on the bench press just last week, utility Andrew Hooper believes he is fitter, stronger and more focused than ever before.

Twelve months ago Hooper admits to not working hard enough during his post-season break and while he fought hard to turn his season around and break into the senior side, he knew more had to be done.

He decided then and there that football had to become a 365 day a year dedication, he had to be stricter in the off season and he was going to give it his all.

The 21-year-old was spurred on further with the appointment of Senior Coach Brendan McCartney who told him to focus on the basics and be as professional as he can.

Despite a minor set-back suffering osteitis pubis during the Dogs pre-season campaign, Hooper has adopted that advice both on and off the field and is already seeing results - lower skinfolds and a number of strength and power personal bests in the gym.

“I think I have turned that around a lot - losing skinfolds and being a lot fitter this year,” Hooper said.

“You have to be professional about it and have good habits all the way through the year - during the off season and the on season.

“I am always looking at improving - you don’t want to be happy at where you are at, you always want to improve and figure out what your weaknesses are to make yourself a better player.”

While featuring predominantly in the forward line for the Bulldogs last year, Hooper is embracing the return to defence for VFL affiliate Williamstown - a position that he dominated during his junior playing days.

Known for his pressure acts in the forward line Hooper believes his stint in defence is not only developing his intensity but also adds a versatility to his game being able to play at both ends of the ground.

“I was looking forward to it before I moved down into the back line because that is where I played in my juniors,” he said.

“The pressure acts do have to increase being down in the backline. As a defender you always have to tackle and put your opponent under pressure - it brings it out in a different scenario.

“I do miss kicking goals - a few goals is always nice.”

The main focus this season has been on nullifying the opposition’s small forwards and working on his delivery out of the backline as well as using his pace to his advantage.

“I think I need to do the basics to focus on getting into the best position in defence and really focus on being tight and my ball use running out of the backline, because your target down the field is really your main focus,” he said.

“My role has been to play on the small zippy forwards and to use my pace as one of my strengths running out of the backline.”

As well as developing his own game Hooper has been looking at footy through a different lens coaching at Maribyrnong College.

“I am coaching at Maribyrnong College twice a week - taking on the responsibility of coaching by myself sometimes, it is really good to have that experience with the young kids,” he said.

“Having that responsibility and helping them become good players - they are coming a long way in improving their skills.”

Building his accountability as a player and in a coaching role Hooper is only looking forward.

LostDoggy
30-05-2012, 10:14 PM
It really is a make or break year for the Worminator , with Higgins Dahlhaus and DJ above him he just has to get through each week working hard enough for a chance at playing Seniors , last year I liked the idea of Hooper and Dahlhaus at FP but the game plan under General Mac doesn,t really have a FP position per se , in order for Hooper to tick all the boxes for elevation he has to show he has the tank to play as a midfield rotation either as a forward/ midfield or defense/ midfield and also the defensive mindset the game plan requires

He is just 21 and I hope he does have a solid AFL career but I,m not sure thats going to happen as a Bulldog , I like Andy and I wish him all the best however it pans out

ratsmac
31-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I not a fan, I hope he can prove me wrong but I'm yet to see anything special from the man.

BulldogBelle
31-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Going to be tough playing as a defender at AFL level at 172cm's

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Going to be tough playing as a defender at AFL level at 172cm's

Add to the end of your post: … without a particular talent that makes up for the lack in physical size.

BulldogBelle
31-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Add to the end of your post: … without a particular talent that makes up for the lack in physical size.

I was trying to be nice ;-)

Hooper isn't super fast, he doesnt seem to have a massive tank, hasn't kicked bags of goals, doesnt seem to have super smarts around the fall of the ball and doesnt really have silky skills

He also doesnt seem to have the dogged determination and tenacity that Libba senior for instance had even being a few cm's shorter

azabob
31-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Hooper has the perfect role model already at the club in Luke Dalhalus.

comrade
31-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Hooper has the perfect role model already at the club in Luke Dalhalus.

Hooper can only dream of doing the things Dahl is capable of.

azabob
31-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Hooper can only dream of doing the things Dahl is capable of.

Yep, not really sure why the article was written.

jeemak
31-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I think we're going to be a little short for players in the defensive half of the ground that can play on the small zippier types. I had a look at his highlights from his Vic Country days a few weeks ago as it happened, and his ability to read the play coupled with his composure stood out to me.

If he gets a decent run at it, he might find a niche there. Having OP recurring again will pretty much ruin him though, as he is a player that needs to be keeping fit and on the park to keep in shape.

Desipura
31-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Wont be on the list by years end. If he plays 50 games, I will personally get a signed jumper of his (this is a safer bet than Stack)

bornadog
31-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Wont be on the list by years end. If he plays 50 games, I will personally get a signed jumper of his (this is a safer bet than Stack)

Have to agree on this one.:D

jeemak
31-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Irrespective of where I think he might fit down the track, I'm probably in the same camp.

Somebody has to make way for the 5 draft selections we've got coming our way.