PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - May 29

bornadog
31-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

Friday night against Geelong was a learning experience for all of us.

We had a slow start and perhaps that was due in part to where we played the previous week and the culmination of some fatigue after a couple of weeks – but that is certainly no excuse.

Our opposition were very good at creating space for one another and very good at denying us the ball and it took us some time to adjust to that – but we did adjust which was pleasing.

I think what pleased us the most was how we were able to get ourselves back into our game through our contest and commitment to putting our bodies in and competing.

I know that you as a group of Members would have enjoyed seeing that as well.

Room for improvements were we just have to get better at defending the ground when a team is organised and systematic as the Cats were.

We have shown we can match good opposition.

The motto of the night was we created some opportunities through our effort and our contest and some we took, some we didn’t take.

We are confident we can rebound strongly this week and we are looking forward to the opportunity to take on a strong interstate club in Sydney.

We are going to back in our basics and our brand of football and see where it takes us.

There is a long way to go but the season is very much even through any one of ten or eleven clubs - we are one of those and we are confident that we will play better footy as the season unfolds on a more consistent basis.

Sincerely,

Brendan McCartney

bornadog
31-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Love this positive attitude and Macca feels we will get better as the season progresses.

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Love this positive attitude and Macca feels we will get better as the season progresses.

Although our draw gets harder and the younger pups will tire.

KT31
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Although our draw gets harder and the younger pups will tire.

It is a building and learning season if we grow and put up a contest and give it a shot, that will be a major positive on last season.

bornadog
01-06-2012, 10:08 AM
It is a building and learning season if we grow and put up a contest and give it a shot, that will be a major positive on last season.

Last season was also a positive, introducing ten debutants. This season we are building on that.

Cyberdoggie
01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Last season was also a positive, introducing ten debutants. This season we are building on that.

I think we've only used 30 players so far this year, one of the least in the AFL.
This also shows that the coach likes to stick with players, will be interesting to see if he starts to blood more of the young guys as the season goes on.

chef
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I think we've only used 30 players so far this year, one of the least in the AFL.This also shows that the coach likes to stick with players, will be interesting to see if he starts to blood more of the young guys as the season goes on.

We have only had 7 players play ever game, one of the least in the AFL too.

LostDoggy
01-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

Friday night against Geelong was a learning experience for all of us.

We had a slow start and perhaps that was due in part to where we played the previous week and the culmination of some fatigue after a couple of weeks – but that is certainly no excuse.

Our opposition were very good at creating space for one another and very good at denying us the ball and it took us some time to adjust to that – but we did adjust which was pleasing.

I think what pleased us the most was how we were able to get ourselves back into our game through our contest and commitment to putting our bodies in and competing.

I know that you as a group of Members would have enjoyed seeing that as well.

Room for improvements were we just have to get better at defending the ground when a team is organised and systematic as the Cats were.

We have shown we can match good opposition.

The motto of the night was we created some opportunities through our effort and our contest and some we took, some we didn’t take.

We are confident we can rebound strongly this week and we are looking forward to the opportunity to take on a strong interstate club in Sydney.

We are going to back in our basics and our brand of football and see where it takes us.

There is a long way to go but the season is very much even through any one of ten or eleven clubs - we are one of those and we are confident that we will play better footy as the season unfolds on a more consistent basis.

Sincerely,

Brendan McCartney

I love the little bits thrown in at the end of the sentence to assuage the “Accepting Mediocrity” crowd.

w3design
01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Two things might make a huge difference for us:

1. Stop giving the opposition a head start.

2. Kick a wee bit straighter.

Those two added to our strong contesting should make us competitive at least with most teams.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Two things might make a huge difference for us:

1. Stop giving the opposition a head start.

2. Kick a wee bit straighter.

Those two added to our strong contesting should make us competitive at least with most teams.

3. Stay injury free.....please.