PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldog Dylan Addison is returning to Sydney - just for the weekend

Hotdog60
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/06/01/1226380/873293-dylan-addison.jpg

RELENTLESS Western Bulldogs defender Dylan Addison returns to his home town of Sydney tomorrow carrying a damning slice of history into his clash against the Swans at the SCG.

Such was the dearth of elite AFL development in NSW, Addison became the only player from the state taken in the 2005 draft, but this worrying lack of talent was lost in the euphoria of the Swans' first premiership in 72 years.

Addison found out just how peripheral AFL was in Sydney when he went to St Gregory's College at Campbelltown, considered Sydney's premier rugby league secondary school.

"There were only four blokes I knew at school who played AFL, and three of them were me and my two brothers," Addison told The Daily Telegraph.

"The other bloke's gone overseas but my brothers are still playing for St George (in the Sydney Football League) and going alright."

Addison was also the only NSW player among 75 teenagers invited to the AFL's pre-draft camp, although another Sydney boy, Kieren Jack, was added as a state-based nominee and later rookie-listed by the Swans.

Addison, who began with the Bankstown Bombers, and Jack, from Pennant Hills, were teammates in NSW under-aged teams and Addison has admired from a distance what the son of rugby league legend Garry Jack has been able to achieve.

"He started fairly late but his work ethic and his contested stuff was always his main strength and that obviously shows with the footy he is playing at the moment," Addison said. "Everyone needs to grow when they come to an AFL club in terms of their football and he's probably done the most growing of just about any player in the AFL."

Jack's career has blossomed into a fairytale and powerful AFL promotional tool, winning the Swans 2010 best and fairest in a career that has now spanned 98 games.

For 24-year-old Addison it has been a tougher and more anonymous journey, attempting to establish a career amid injuries.

Addison managed just four games during last season but the heavily contested style of new coach Brendan McCartney has made Addison's cannon-ball approach a valuable commodity.

For someone who attacks the ball so aggressively it's hard to believe that he played soccer until the age of 12, when he became bored with the round ball sport.

His father had played rugby league until 18 before being convinced to play Aussie rules by a school teacher and Addison received the same encouragement from his father, so wandered across to the adjoining AFL ground at Bankstown Sports Park. It quickly became obvious he was a natural.

Addison played senior football with St George at 16, crediting contests against bigger bodied men as an important part of his development.

He is delighted with the growth of AFL in Sydney, returning to the Bankstown Bombers last year to find the number of junior teams has doubled.

Addison believes the GWS Giants will give the game a further boost but he has no desire to return to Sydney and play.

"I love going back to see family and friends.

"There will probably be about a dozen at the game (tomorrow).

"It's exciting what's happening with footy in Sydney, but I don't see it as an opportunity for me."

With the Swans and GWS into their second year running junior academies, talented teenagers now have the opportunity to stay in Sydney.

LINK (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/meet-the-swan-who-got-away/story-e6frexwr-1226380873323)

LostDoggy
02-06-2012, 09:58 AM
After last year you would be forgiven thinking that Addison was never destined to be a key part of the Senior side , roll forward to 2012 under General Mac and after probably his best pre-season he was given a chance to commit to role in our depleted backline and has never looked back , possibly the most improved player after Minson

EasternWest
02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I can't stand this kid.

Greystache
02-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I can't stand this kid.

I'd have him in power over Julia Gillard ;)

AndrewP6
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I can't stand this kid.

Joke post?

azabob
02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Joke post?

I think you will find eastern west use to be called DFA4PM.

AndrewP6
02-06-2012, 10:58 PM

Oh. *AndrewP6 slowly backs away, looking sheepish and red-faced. :o

EasternWest
02-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Snitch.

I have to admit, I'm surprised it was Andrew that got hooked ;).

EasternWest
02-06-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd have him in power over Julia Gillard ;)

Very adroit. It even took me a second to catch your drift.

AndrewP6
02-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Snitch.

I have to admit, I'm surprised it was Andrew that got hooked ;).

Hahah... In my (very ordinary) defence, I'm distracted trying to write school reports. Or something.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWrcNRunwJ37FsaD4jyTkaXEynMOeybEJvexz4GZV pquN27xtFJQ

Hotdog60
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWrcNRunwJ37FsaD4jyTkaXEynMOeybEJvexz4GZV pquN27xtFJQ

Very funny but only the oldies would know who he was.:D

w3design
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Very funny but only the oldies would know who he was.:D

Ooops. Guess that includes me!! Or is this just another act of electrickery??:)

Desipura
26-06-2012, 07:36 AM
According to the Age, Addison looks like he will be offered a new 2 year contract. Whilst he has been ok, I cannot see the point in doing this now.
Unfortunately where our list is currently at means Addison's value (hardness at the player and ball) stands out more than his weaknesses (lack of pace, skills and decision making under pressure).
Clay Smith will be offered a new contract and Higgins is waiting until the end of the season.

So basically we have signed a player no other club would look at taking in (Addison) looking at signing Smith who is as we know a kid with potential and have not signed Higgins who has not delivered on his potential, he would appeal to other clubs.

azabob
26-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Desi, are you able to find out the go with Minson?

Thanks for the other info.

Desipura
26-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Desi, are you able to find out the go with Minson?

Thanks for the other info.

Are you referring to Minson's contract status? If so, as mentioned in other posts he is out of contract at seasons end.

azabob
26-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Are you referring to Minson's contract status? If so, as mentioned in other posts he is out of contract at seasons end.

Sorry Desi I didn't see you referred to the AGE at the start of your post, I thought you knew someone from the club. I know Minson is out of contract so I thought he'd be first cab off the rank.

chef
26-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Is Minson restricted or unrestricted in terms of free agency?

Sockeye Salmon
26-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Is Minson restricted or unrestricted in terms of free agency?

10 years - unrestricted

azabob
26-06-2012, 09:20 AM
10 years - unrestricted

SS is your gut feel is Minson will walk? My feeling is the longer it plays out the least likely he will sign.

Mantis
26-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Dylan would be rubbing his hands together with glee.

Played his worst game for the year on the type of player he has traditionally struggled on and is rewarded with a new deal... I know the negiotiations would have been going on for some time, but the timing is a strange one. I would have preferred we sign this type of player towards the end of the season.

Desipura
26-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Played his worst game for the year on the type of player he has traditionally struggled on and is rewarded with a new deal... I know the negiotiations would have been going on for some time, but the timing is a strange one. I would have preferred we sign this type of player towards the end of the season.
Our slogan for 2013 should read "Western Bulldogs, job security is our number 1 priority.
(Even if no one else loves you, we do!)

Mantis
26-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Our slogan for 2013 should read "Western Bulldogs, job security is our number 1 priority.

So our next re-signings will be James Mulligan and Andrew Hooper?

Sockeye Salmon
26-06-2012, 09:52 AM
SS is your gut feel is Minson will walk? My feeling is the longer it plays out the least likely he will sign.

I have no idea whatsoever.

Did I hear Higgins has also put off contract talks to the end of the year? That is a bad sign, too.

G-Mo77
26-06-2012, 10:20 AM

What's the difference if it's now or at the end of season? It's still the same result. Obviously they think he's a required player and wanted him for future seasons so why wait on it?

Mantis
26-06-2012, 10:41 AM
What's the difference if it's now or at the end of season? It's still the same result. Obviously they think he's a required player and wanted him for future seasons so why wait on it?

Because throughout his time with us he has bever shown the ability to be a consistent performer over the course of a season, which is what we want a player of his age to do.

I would have preferred that we wait until the end of the season and then make the call... but maybe that's just me.

G-Mo77
26-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Because throughout his time with us he has bever shown the ability to be a consistent performer over the course of a season, which is what we want a player of his age to do.

I would have preferred that we wait until the end of the season and then make the call... but maybe that's just me.

No, I can see where you're coming from in that regard. It's obvious he's in our 2 year plans though so stalling wouldn't change anything. I doubt his value would drop or inflate at season's end.

Desipura
26-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Makes sense in a warped way doesnt it?

Bulldog Revolution
26-06-2012, 04:58 PM

A bit harsh comparing Addison to those two

You're not a fan, but others are

Remi Moses
26-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Hasn't been a consistent performer.
Ashleigh McGrath a 30 y/o veteran defender towelled him up.
It's not as if he'd be a high priority out of contract!

LostDoggy
26-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Dylan would be top 10 in our best and fairest this year if counted right now! People were crying out for him to do something this year.... He's played exactly how a back pocket should and will only get better. Think he's been outstanding, puts his body on the line every contest and does a lot that goes un noticed. Absolutely stoked he's got this contract!

Remi Moses
26-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Dylan would be top 10 in our best and fairest this year if counted right now! People were crying out for him to do something this year.... He's played exactly how a back pocket should and will only get better. Think he's been outstanding, puts his body on the line every contest and does a lot that goes un noticed. Absolutely stoked he's got this contract!

Never doubted his efforts, it's not keeping his feet and his ordinary disposal that are the issues.
This has been his best season, but why couldn't we wait until the season's over before offering a new contract.

anfo27
26-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't see an issue with Addison getting another contact. He is obviously in the coaches plans, hasn't been dropped so Macca is liking what Dylan is doing so why wait? Sign him up & move on to the harder decisions.

Mantis
26-06-2012, 08:14 PM
A bit harsh comparing Addison to those two

You're not a fan, but others are

Those names were added as a joke.

immortalmike
26-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I have no idea whatsoever.

Did I hear Higgins has also put off contract talks to the end of the year? That is a bad sign, too.

If he didn't leave when Gold Coast came knocking. I doubt he'd leave now.

Minson on the other hand...

bornadog
27-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Dylan would be top 10 in our best and fairest this year if counted right now!:eek:

and that is the reason we are travelling so badly.

BulldogBelle
27-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Never doubted his efforts, it's not keeping his feet and his ordinary disposal that are the issues.
This has been his best season, but why couldn't we wait until the season's over before offering a new contract.

Disposal in the back-line has never been a harder skill. It's mainly a confidence thing, which DFA may understandably lack, being potted by his own supporters on a regular basis... so maybe this contract presents the shot in the arm of confidence we think he may need.

I'm happy with him! and wrapped for him in being offered a contract. I still think he did okay as a defensive forward (aka the Saints prelim 010)

The Bulldogs Bite
27-06-2012, 02:30 AM

Yeah, no dis-respect to Dylan, but I wouldn't have thought he's a player that we would put before others on the list to re-sign. In fact, he'd probably be last -- escaping the cut by a small margin.

He has been OK this year but his last few games have been a little down. His game v Brisbane was a shocker, although not entirely his fault, given he was never going to keep up with McGrath.

Minson is pretty vital to us, but I would not be surprised to see him go to a contending club. Couldn't blame him.

On Higgins: meh. I don't really rate him; I'd be willing to listen to offers. If a club would be willing to part with a late first rounder, I'd absolutely jump at it. If it was an early second round pick, I'd also look at it. Of course, if we aren't getting a pick that satisifies us, I would prefer to keep him given our forward half woes.

Remi Moses
27-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Disposal in the back-line has never been a harder skill. It's mainly a confidence thing, which DFA may understandably lack, being potted by his own supporters on a regular basis... so maybe this contract presents the shot in the arm of confidence we think he may need.

I'm happy with him! and wrapped for him in being offered a contract. I still think he did okay as a defensive forward (aka the Saints prelim 010)

Give me a spell,he falls over to often ( must be supporters potting him) Yes he has improved but why not wait until seasons end?

Remi Moses
27-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah, no dis-respect to Dylan, but I wouldn't have thought he's a player that we would put before others on the list to re-sign. In fact, he'd probably be last -- escaping the cut by a small margin.

He has been OK this year but his last few games have been a little down. His game v Brisbane was a shocker, although not entirely his fault, given he was never going to keep up with McGrath.

Minson is pretty vital to us, but I would not be surprised to see him go to a contending club. Couldn't blame him.

On Higgins: meh. I don't really rate him; I'd be willing to listen to offers. If a club would be willing to part with a late first rounder, I'd absolutely jump at it. If it was an early second round pick, I'd also look at it. Of course, if we aren't getting a pick that satisifies us, I would prefer to keep him given our forward half woes.

Have to disagree on Will. Reckon the club's been pretty patient and lived through some Will Faux pas .

Desipura
27-06-2012, 08:02 PM

I'm happy you are stoked, to say he has been outstanding is an exaggeration or maybe you are easy to please.
Or maybe I am hard to please. Either way, if we were challenging the top sides, I highly doubt Dylan would be in the top 22 players on our list.
Top 10 in the best and fairest.............that tells me our list is in worse shape than I initially thought!
By the way, I knew Dylan would be getting a lot of senior games this year under BMac due to his fearless approach.

Go_Dogs
27-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Definitely agree with your sentiments, Addison has, overall, been good this year. He's not really suited to playing on a guy like McGrath who still has a bit of pace off the mark, and Addison got exposed on the weekend, but he'll bounce back.

As far as those questioning the signing, whose to say that we hadn't put an offer that was slightly lower than Addison and his management wanted, he played a stinker on the weekend, and they reconsidered? Either way he wasn't going to be delisted and this way we know exactly what we have to play with as far as TPP. I think it's a reasonable outcome.

Rocco Jones
27-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Definitely agree with your sentiments, Addison has, overall, been good this year. He's not really suited to playing on a guy like McGrath who still has a bit of pace off the mark, and Addison got exposed on the weekend, but he'll bounce back.

So who is Dylan suited to playing against? Slow, small guys? Basically he offers next to nothing offensively and as a negating small defender can only play on slow, small guys. If only we could match him up against Gia each week!

Desipura
27-06-2012, 08:35 PM
So who is Dylan suited to playing against? Slow, small guys? Basically he offers next to nothing offensively and as a negating small defender can only play on slow, small guys. If only we could match him up against Gia each week!

This is harsh but true. There is no matchup for Dylan.

Rocco Jones
27-06-2012, 08:38 PM
This is harsh but true. There is no matchup for Dylan.

The only match up for Dylan is the match up we should be trying to expose with a line breaker or someone with foot skills like Vez.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-06-2012, 08:50 PM
The only match up for Dylan is the match up we should be trying to expose with a line breaker or someone with foot skills like Vez.

This is one of the most frustrating things about our team selection.

Addison is as good as he'll ever get right now, and whilst he's contributing to a poor side, we really need to be putting time into players who may be able to offer us something in the future. Vez is a prime example.

Worst case scenario? Vez isn't up to it, we delist him, we move on.

Go_Dogs
27-06-2012, 09:10 PM

It's a fair enough point that he's fairly limited in who he can play against, but he's played some good games this year, so there must be a role for him somewhere, some weeks. When there is, he does it well. Perhaps if we had a better list he'd be a horses for courses/depth player at this stage, but right now he's one of the few defensive smalls we have. He's never going to be a star, but he can play a role.

Bulldog Joe
27-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I think we are judging Dylan harshly on his game against Brisbane. The truth is that no-one really does well on a leading forward who gets the ball delivered perfectly.
Dylan was a victim of the overall lack of pressure.

He has had a consistent year and while he won't ever be a match winner, every team still needs foot soldiers.

Go_Dogs
27-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Vez is a prime example.

On Vez, I'd agree if it were trying him forward. As a defender, he isn't strong defensively, and offensively, we have Murphy, Wood and Howard ahead of him. All 3 are either better/younger, and at the moment I can't see Vez coming back as a defender unless there's an injury.

Greystache
27-06-2012, 09:22 PM
On Vez, I'd agree if it were trying him forward. As a defender, he isn't strong defensively, and offensively, we have Murphy, Wood and Howard ahead of him. All 3 are either better/younger, and at the moment I can't see Vez coming back as a defender unless there's an injury.

Agree.

His best form in AFL footy has been shown as a forward. He should be given a run there and if he can't cut it he should be delisted. He's a similar type to Gia and Higgins, and with Gia appearing to be on his last legs and Higgins' body always questionable he could fill a need as a midsized leading forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Agree.

His best form in AFL footy has been shown as a forward. He should be given a run there and if he can't cut it he should be delisted. He's a similar type to Gia and Higgins, and with Gia appearing to be on his last legs and Higgins' body always questionable he could fill a need as a midsized leading forward.

Agreed with both of the above.

I liked the trial down back, but he's much better suited to a role up forward.

w3design
27-06-2012, 10:00 PM

As far as those questioning the signing, whose to say that we hadn't put an offer that was slightly lower than Addison and his management wanted, he played a stinker on the weekend, and they reconsidered? Either way he wasn't going to be delisted and this way we know exactly what we have to play with as far as TPP. I think it's a reasonable outcome.

1: Dylan has had 2-3 times as many good game as poor ones this season.
If we could say this about every player, we would have had more wins than losses.

2: Name me one player on our, or anyone else's list, that is always successful week in and week out playing on every type of opponent. Even Judd and Ablett could not claim that.

He has his faults and weaknesses, but sh1t, so does every other player in the league.
But you cannot doubt his courage, or his effort.
Is it fair to expect more than that of any player?

No he will never be a champion, but if he continues to do his best, continues to improve because of effort, and continues to contribute, I for one would have him in the team. Certainly until we find some one who can and will give us more, which is not the case at present.

Mantis
28-06-2012, 12:45 PM
No he will never be a champion, but if he continues to do his best, continues to improve because of effort, and continues to contribute, I for one would have him in the team. Certainly until we find some one who can and will give us more, which is not the case at present.

If our back 6 had been at or close to full strength this year I doubt Dylan would have played many games.

Doc26
28-06-2012, 01:08 PM
But you cannot doubt his courage, or his effort.

Is it fair to expect more than that of any player?

Certainly until we find some one who can and will give us more, which is not the case at present.

Paulv, in a round about way I think the Dylan nay sayers would be in general agreement with you. The point of difference, if any, is should courage and effort be enough to warrant selection in our Top 22 moving forward without demanding far more in other critical elements that relate more to skill and decision making ?

1. No one can question Dylan's courage or his effort. He has this in spades over most on our list.

2. I would not expect any more from Dylan per se to what he gives us regularly. With that said, courage and effort will take you so far, the key to this point is that he has obvious limitations with his skill level and decision making, particularly under pressure, that as a Club we should ultimately demand greater excellence from players in our Top 22. He's ~25 now, we're not going to see a step change shift in his skill development.

3. At this point Dylan has arguably been in our Top 22 for 2012 given injuries and gaps in our list, that is, I can accept it without necessarily being an advocate. I also accept that he's an easy target that can assist others in escaping more deserving critical assessment.

When we become a serious contender there will not be a spot for Dylan in our Top 22.

always right
28-06-2012, 01:14 PM
If our back 6 had been at or close to full strength this year I doubt Dylan would have played many games.

I imagine our first choice back six would look like this....

Hargrave Lake Austen/Morris
Murphy Williams Wood

Of these six, Addison is probably competing against Hargrave, Wood and Murphy. Of these three Murphy and Wood provide good defensive run which Addison doesn't. This means he is really competing with Hargrave for the last spot.

Addison has certainly outperformed Hargrave this year although how much of that is due to injury is not certain. At his best, Hargrave gives our side more than Addison although some might argue that this could be Hargrave's last or second last year so it makes sense to invest time into Addison.

Addison has made the most of his opportunities and I have a soft spot for him but it's difficult to see him being part of any potential premiership tilt in the next three years. On the other hand we are going to be introducing new players into the back six in the next few years so perhaps the coaches see a need for a reliable lockdown, strong bodied defender whilst they build the defensive structure for the future.