PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 10

GVGjr
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
This is the round 10 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against the Sydney Swans is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Remi Moses
03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Haven't seen any of the game( thank god)
Anchors- the whole side what an insipid pathetic performance
Listening to the game Sydney kicked 10 goals from turnovers
7 rebound goals. Sounds like murder on the run and spread.
I get the contested ball stuff but we need to address these needs at the draft table:mad:

F'scary
03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
b: 42 & 27. The rest stank.

a: see last sentence

comrade
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
This should be a pretty one sided thread :D

always right
03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Bankers: only one.....Picken

Anchors: too many to list so I'll stick to two......our coaches for the most rediculous set up at stoppages where Sydney players were allowed to set up in numbers on the defensive side of the pack from where they were able to sweep the ball forward unchallenged.....time and time again. Also.....our lack of accountability for Rhys Shaw. Any chance of playing someone on him with pace? Dahlhaus did nothing so why couldn't he have been assigned to Shaw?

Ghost Dog
03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
God did they get some space. Acres of it. Awful watching us get burnt off to watch them waltz in for goal. What the hell was going on?

LostDoggy
03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Bankers - Picken 2 goals, Cordy so much potential, Austin solid again

Anchors - too many to mention, so frustrating when easy goal chances get wasted. When is Panos going to get a go, no good having tall forwards who can't kick goals.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Quite a few seniors had a very dirty day.

Eastdog
03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Quite a few seniors had a very dirty day.

Agree lots of bad performances from our senior players. What did you think of Cordy and Roughead today. Could they be good tall timber for us going forward.

LostDoggy
03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Bankers

Liam Picken- Easily our best. Ran hard all day and gave his absolute all. Was a lock in when I saw him attempt a ridiculous diving smother when we were 80 points down.

Mitch Wallis- Went hard all day, tough day when a second year player looks like the only mid who wants it.

Ayce Cordy- Jumped hard and high all day and really attacked the footy. Didn't go his way but you can't fault his effort.

Anchors

Daniel Giansiracusa- We all know he isn't the quickest but he's one of the very fittest at the club. In the first half he simply jogged after his opponent who bolted up the ground, received a handball as the spare man and hit up a target who kicked a goal. Absolutely lamentable from a senior player.

Tory Dickson- No where near it today.

Coaching staff- Totally outclassed around the stoppages today. From first bell to last.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Agree lots of bad performances from our senior players. What did you think of Cordy and Roughead today. Could they be good tall timber for us going forward.

As the commentators noted, had Cordy been a draft pic, he would have been top ten. We just have to persist and he has worked so hard to get there, one would want him to start hitting his stride soon; just takes patience. Jordan can contest well in the air, but will have to work very hard on his kicking. Very much hope he can sort that out. Was a wet day and not that great for talls. What are your views Eastdog?

We looked psyched out today. Usually reliable players like Dahl and Gia seemed lead footed.
I love Bmac, but we looked out coached today badly

Eastdog
03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
As the commentators noted, had Cordy been a draft pic, he would have been top ten. We just have to persist. Jordan can contest well in the air, but will have to work very hard on his kicking. Very much hope he can sort that out. Was a wet day and not that great for talls. What are your views Eastdog?

Cordy and Roughead have a lot of potential and I think will be quality players. We have to remember there still young so they have a lot of footy ahead of them. Roughy needs to really work on his kicking as many on WOOF have said.

bornadog
03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Tory Dickson- No where near it today.

Seemed to play a different role today, 3 kicks and 13 handballs and 6 tackles.

bornadog
03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Anchors

* Picken - Best on ground for us, all guts. I wonder how he would go in a pure midfielder role?

* Minson - 48 hitouts, tried hard all day but was fighting a losing battle.

* Wallis - 19 year old that racks up alot of disposals and is improving every week.

Bankers

* Attempting to kick the ball off the ground and missing - put your head over the ball, it doesn't work.

* The TEAM - poor effort after some good games in the past 4 to 5 weeks.

Greystache
03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Seemed to play a different role today, 3 kicks and 13 handballs and 6 tackles.

Yeah he seemed to be higher up the ground. I didn't think he was able to have the impact he can deeper in the forward line, but we're quite limited in what we can do given Higgins and Gia already play that role nd are a really limited to do anything thing else. Losing his ability to kick accurately at goal hurts too.

We're really at a bit of an impass with Gia and Higgins, they're too alike to play together in the same forward line, they have the same strengths which is a bit of guile and the ability to poach a goal here and there, but they're also both one effort players who are slow, can't/don't provide any defensive efforts, and can't win a contest or at least break even when in a disadvantaged position.

I said in the MC thread I'd like to see Higgins go back to defence again, I'd also like to see Gia play through the midfield more too, he's one of the fittest at the club yet spends most of his time deep in the forward line.

bornadog
03-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I said in the MC thread I'd like to see Higgins go back to defence again, I'd also like to see Gia play through the midfield more too, he's one of the fittest at the club yet spends most of his time deep in the forward line.

I agree with this, Higgins goes back and Gia more in the midfield. I would also like Dahlhaus to play deep. He seems to be a bit lost at the moment playing midfield and higher up the ground. His defensive efforts in the forward line are being missed.

Greystache
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Bankers

Picken- Was terrific and I'm really enjoying seeing him impact the scoreboard. I thought in the 2nd half it was worth releasing him from his tagging role and allowing him to hunt the ball. He was one of the few who wasn't blindly kicking the ball around the corner and actually showed some poise.

Other than that, it's more of a case of who was the least Anchor

Anchors

Probably no point individualising, we had so many terrible players on the day.

Goals over the back- It's getting rediculous how many goals we concede over the back of a contest, our defenders don't get goal side of their opponents anywhere near enough, and our midfielders even when deep in our defensive 50m hunt the ball rather than positioning themselves strategically to minimise damage.

Slipping over and fumbling- You'd honestly think we'd never seen water before. Sydney handled the conditions so much better than we did it was laughable.

Kicking blindly round the corner- They say the captain sets the example for the team, it sure is the case with kicking. We had 10 players that didn't even look when widly hooking the ball across their body somewhere in the direction of our goals.

Greystache
03-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I agree with this, Higgins goes back and Gia more in the midfield. I would also like Dahlhaus to play deep. He seems to be a bit lost at the moment playing midfield and higher up the ground. His defensive efforts in the forward line are being missed.

Agree on Dahlhaus too, his impact has been reduced playing further up the ground. He's one of the few forwards we've got with pace, and he also has poise and can apply defensive pressure, which are areas we're sorely lacking.

LongWait
03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Anchors:

Our stoppages play is not just bad - it is embarrassing. The coaching staff simply must be more successful in teaching the players how to position themselves, block, play off etc.

Eastdog
03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Bankers

Picken kicking those 2 quick goals in the 2nd quarter. Otherwise not too much.

Anchors:

Our spread I thought was very poor today and our lack of effort.

Sedat
03-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Anchors:

Our stoppages play is not just bad - it is embarrassing. The coaching staff simply must be more successful in teaching the players how to position themselves, block, play off etc.This.

Sydney carved up like a Christmas turkey today. And yet we led the stoppages and contested possessions at half time - makes a mockery of the stat when the team en masse led by our captain just bash it on the boot and make it someone else's problem. It's like we're a team of Nick Maxwell's - and no that isn't a compliment.

jeemak
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Bankers:

Minson - Thought he battled throughout the day, with consistent effort and some effectiveness

Picken - See above

Cordy - Didn't stop trying throughout the day

Anchors:

Boyd - He set a record for the most blind kicks instead of handballing to a team mate with vision of the field of play today

Gia and Higgins - Didn't offer up any resistance, at all

Team - Played under 10's wet weather football, against a side that played smart and mature wet weather football. Too often did we panick while our oponents were composed, and too often did we position ourselves poorly whether it be at stoppages or when allowing our opponents to get goal side and be dangerous

Shambolic display today. I'm not going to say anything about the coaches, I just can't fathom how any of what we saw was the result of the players executing a plan.

Our leaders were nowhere to be seen today.

Desipura
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Bankers:
Minson, battled well, is playing within his limitations. (I give credit to BMac for this)

Picken, has to be one of the best taggers going around, can also get his own ball

Cordy, I liked how he was offering encouragement to Vespa to fire up in the 3rd quater. A year from now Cordy should have added more strength and should be a decent player for us.

Anchors:
Higgins did not want to get dirty, tried to play dry weather footy.

Gia, had one kick in the first quarter, was never involved in the play.
Shaw, Mattner and Grundy got the ball out with ease in no small part due to the above 2 players lack of defensive efforts as well as playing Roughy and Cordy in the forwardline.

I think Gia's body is failing him, and should seriously consider hanging up the boots at seasons end.
When he is getting so little of the ball and not creating or scoring goals along with the opposition defence getting the ball out with ease, that is a recipe for disaster!

bornadog
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Bankers:
Higgins did not want to get dirty, tried to play dry weather footy.

How do you account for 12 of his 19 disposals being contested?

A lot of posters wanting to blame Higgins for our loss, but there were plenty of others that didn't contribute at all.

Desipura
04-06-2012, 09:44 AM
How do you account for 12 of his 19 disposals being contested?

A lot of posters wanting to blame Higgins for our loss, but there were plenty of others that didn't contribute at all.
How many in the first quarter when the heat was on?

bornadog
04-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Was the ball even in our 50?

Ozza
04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I found it hard to concentrate on the game - whilst trying to entertain my 18-month old; so can someone clarify for me -

I was under the impression from the commentary that Picken was on Jetta - who was probably one of the best 2 or 3 on ground.

Ozza
04-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Bankers:

Boyd and Griffen - kept their feet and won clear possessions when others couldn't.
Wallis - had a solid game.
Cordy - handled the conditions reasonably well - and although he didn't have much of it - made a good account of himself when the ball got down to him. Shame about the set shot though.

Anchors:

Players going to ground constantly. Cros and Gia ,in particular , went to ground and once they didn't find a teammate or win possession clearly - were out of the contest.

Addison and Hargrave - both had ordinary days in defence. Shaggy a 200th to forget.

Roughead - doesn't know how to play the game yet. Doesn't anticipate/read the play at all.

always right
04-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I found it hard to concentrate on the game - whilst trying to entertain my 18-month old; so can someone clarify for me -

I was under the impression from the commentary that Picken was on Jetta - who was probably one of the best 2 or 3 on ground.

Picken was on him in the first half and did an outstanding job when the swans were dominating....even kicking two goals himself. He was moved off Jetta as we attempted to get back into the game which is when Jetta found a bit of the ball. Picken eventually went back onto him but by that time the swans were all over us and Jetta was more involved.

Considering how little support Picken received from teammates yesterday he was terrific. It wouldn't surprise if he picked up every one of the coach's votes.

always right
04-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Higgins was poor like most of his teammates. I potted him in the first half for playing from behind but to his credit he played more in front in the second half and took a couple of string marks on the lead as a result.

Of the usual suspects who get criticised on this board, Gia was probably the worst. Didn't look great when he let Mattner kick the ball to a teammate in the second quarter and then jogged after him as Mattner ran up the ground and received the ball back. Gia was never going to catch him but his lack of effort was appalling.

soupman
04-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Bankers: Picken, for obvious reasons.

Anchors:

Lake and company for repeatedly trying these ridiculous mid air half volleys that never came off. I can understand kicking the ball in front of you to enable you to pick it up with less pressure, but having wild swings like lake's in front of McGlynns are just a joke.

The coaching staff. We won the contested ball by putting all our players defensive side of the contest with instructions to just run at the ball and force it forward through scrappy kick, knock ons and handballs. Sydney just did the logical thing, let us fight over it and sat all their players behind the footy also, except they just waited for us to hit the ball into their hands. At times it was seriously like rugby at ruck contests, with each side only lining up on their respective side.

If we are going to try this push it forward by any means approach we need to at least man up the Sydney bloke who sits that kick behind the contest, and also put a player or two in amongst all the Sydney guys to ensure if it gets there we have some numbers.

Finally what was with getting the ball on the run and booting it forward to no one but 3 Sydney blokes. We did this repeatedly. Why not go for the short contest to Cordy where there is at least one of our players, or how about we handball it around until we get some numbers pushing forward. Did we not practice this handballing under pressure stuff in the pre-season?

Mofra
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Bankers:

Cordy - The kids keeps presenting, and fights hard when the ball is on the ground.
Higgins - The only other forward that actually made it to contests and gave second efforts
Picken - Sometimes beaten at the packs but never dropped his head

Anchors:

Gia - Woeful effort today, made worse by his half-hearted efforts to chase out of the F50
Dickson - Seemed to be nowhere near the ball all day
Lake - a shocker, rare to see him missing kicks off the ground, dropping marks and electing to punch when he gets front spot

always right
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
^^^^^^^What Soupaman said.

LostDoggy
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
How bad was Lake yesterday? It was like the 2011 version. Got beat by a dud like LRT.

Eastdog
04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
How bad was Lake yesterday? It was like the 2011 version. Got beat by a dud like LRT.

We really need to get our defence back. Morris, Markovic, Williams being injuried leave big gaps in defence. Lake before he got injured was a great fullback. Lets hope he can get back to that again. How do you think his season has gone this year?

LostDoggy
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
We really need to get our defence back. Morris, Markovic, Williams being injuried leave big gaps in defence. Lake before he got injured was a great fullback. Lets hope he can get back to that again. How do you think his season has gone this year?

1 poor game for the defence out of 10. Good players back would be great but I'm more concerned about the forwards and the midfield spread.

bornadog
04-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Picken was on Jetta in the first half and kept him out of the game. He was then moved on to Bolton and Jetta kicked his goals after that. Wood picked up Jetta for awhile but was subbed off and I think Pearce went on to Jetta.

bornadog
04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Dickson - Seemed to be nowhere near the ball all day

had 13 handballs and only three kicks, laid 6 tackles.

Eastdog
04-06-2012, 01:02 PM
1 poor game for the defence out of 10. Good players back would be great but I'm more concerned about the forwards and the midfield spread.

There worries. The forward line is just not up to scratch. We do have some good young mids coming through Libba, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Smith but there still young. Boyd, Cross, Gia, Higgins are not young in footy terms anymore and are getting on a bit. Boyd though does rack up lots of posses but his efficiency is not vey good. Griffen is an outstanding midfielder.

LostDoggy
04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Anchor - Etihad Stadium's roof.

That's all I've got.

Desipura
04-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Agree, it was one of those games where he would fall at a crucial time, try to outmark an opponent when he should have punched or turned it over with no pressure.
He sometimes has those games where I wish he goes nowhere near the ball.
LRT brought back memories on when we used to make David Mensch look like Carey.

Happy Days
04-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Agree on Dahlhaus too, his impact has been reduced playing further up the ground. He's one of the few forwards we've got with pace, and he also has poise and can apply defensive pressure, which are areas we're sorely lacking.

Any chance he's carrying something groin-related?

Looks to have lost half a yard.

Greystache
04-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Any chance he's carrying something groin-related?

Looks to have lost half a yard.

I've thought that for a few weeks, even in the games he's played well in I've felt it was more on smarts than his athletic abilities. I haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was carrying something.

Murphy'sLore
04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh great.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Bankers: Picken, for obvious reasons.

Anchors:

Finally what was with getting the ball on the run and booting it forward to no one but 3 Sydney blokes. We did this repeatedly. Why not go for the short contest to Cordy where there is at least one of our players, or how about we handball it around until we get some numbers pushing forward. Did we not practice this handballing under pressure stuff in the pre-season?

Print this. Frame it. Send it to the Whitten Oval.

LongWait
04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I've thought that for a few weeks, even in the games he's played well in I've felt it was more on smarts than his athletic abilities. I haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was carrying something.

Looks (from afar mind you) suspiciously like OP.

cambo
04-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Bankers

Picken

Anchors

Whoever at the club who is responsible for us playing games in Darwin, it kills us for weeks on end after going there, happens every time we play up there, I spoke to one of the trainers a few years back and he said it can take some players 4 to 5 weeks to fully recover from Darwin trip
We were flat as a tack from word go yesterday