PDA

View Full Version : Matty Robbins battle with depression

AndrewP6
05-06-2012, 08:58 PM
From the Herald-Sun. Talks about the multiple concussions he sustained, and the correlation to the depression he suffered. Played his last two years with the condition, didn't tell anyone at the club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/former-bulldog-matthew-robbins-tells-of-awful-effects-of-multiple-concussions/story-fnantfnw-1226384003954

The Bulldogs Bite
05-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for posting.

It's certainly an issue that needs to be investigated more closely.

As for Robbins, I am glad to hear he's back on track. He was a really nice guy, and I admired the way he played. He became one of my favourite players and undoubtedly was extremely courageous.

Throughandthrough
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Depression is (sadly) far more common amongst AFL players then the public knows

Ghost Dog
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Scotty West.

KT31
06-06-2012, 04:41 PM

In general more prevalant in society than known.

G-Mo77
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM

It's more common anywhere than the anyone knows. It's not something you want everyone to know about which is half the battle.

It takes a brave person to stand up and say they are suffering from depression.

SonofScray
06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
The accepted stat is that 1 in 5 Australians will experience mental health issues at some stage in their lives. I think it is actually more, given what we know about some demographics' willingness to seek support and subsequently have their issues diagnosed. There is still a lot of stigma around mental health though which is a real shame. It shouldn't take a brave person to seek help and get the right supports in place.

The data coming out of the USA re: head injuries in athletes and depression/suicide is worrying. A few high profile cases recently in the NHL and NFL. The NHL is going through a major change in its culture along the lines of AFL's 'the head is sacrosanct (for better or wise, I might add).'

Rocco Jones
06-06-2012, 07:02 PM
The accepted stat is that 1 in 5 Australians will experience mental health issues at some stage in their lives. I think it is actually more, given what we know about some demographics' willingness to seek support and subsequently have their issues diagnosed. There is still a lot of stigma around mental health though which is a real shame. It shouldn't take a brave person to seek help and get the right supports in place.

Great post, totally agree.

The data coming out of the USA re: head injuries in athletes and depression/suicide is worrying. A few high profile cases recently in the NHL and NFL. The NHL is going through a major change in its culture along the lines of AFL's 'the head is sacrosanct (for better or wise, I might add).'

This is a tough one. I often get annoyed at how the tribunal deals with any contact to the head, thinking they are taking away a part of the game/being too harsh on accidental and incidental circumstances but is the risk worth the 'entertainment' or whatever you want to call it. I think I pretty much support the AFL tribunal's stance when it comes to head contact.

The area I am not so sure on is free kicks for 'high' contacts during tackles. I get where they are coming from but the current situation sees players who are tackled 'trying' to get high contact. Say what you will about modern footy, players are very hard. Players are very willing to take contact to the head if it results in a free kick to their team.

I wonder what would happen if a player suffered a major injury while ducking/slipper movement Shuey and the Eagles do.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Not too sure about that one SOS. Takes a brave person to open up about many things.
Anyhow, has anyone seen Matty at functions and the like?
Maybe a large part of it has to do with leading such a relatively mundane existance outside of AFL.

SonofScray
06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Not too sure about that one SOS. Takes a brave person to open up about many things.
Anyhow, has anyone seen Matty at functions and the like?
Maybe a large part of it has to do with leading such a relatively mundane existance outside of AFL.

Its does, you are right. What I am saying is that given the statistics and the actual nature of mental health, it shouldn't be as big a deal. Stigma makes it so.

Maddog37
06-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Part of the problem is that you tend to blame yourself and do not want to burden anyone with your emotional baggage. It can be a trap as the pressure builds and you mask it with other things like sport or booze but when your wheels stop spinning the problem is still there. It can take a long time to work through and you need to be vigilant you do not slip back when stressed etc.

Certainly talking to someone is the very best thing you can do.

G-Mo77
06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Part of the problem is that you tend to blame yourself and do not want to burden anyone with your emotional baggage. It can be a trap as the pressure builds and you mask it with other things like sport or booze but when your wheels stop spinning the problem is still there. It can take a long time to work through and you need to be vigilant you do not slip back when stressed etc.

Great post.

Being a man also comes I to play. Men are suppose to be strong not just physically but emotionally and mentally. It seems like a sign of weakness that you don't want to show to anyone.

Ghost Dog
07-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Its does, you are right. What I am saying is that given the statistics and the actual nature of mental health, it shouldn't be as big a deal. Stigma makes it so.

Right. I get what you are saying. It's really hard to hear of champs like Matty and in the past, Scotty West dropping their chins post career. I hope the fold can help them move on. In West's, case it's great to see him still involved in the game.

Mofra
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Good on Matty in coming out with this.
The more high-profile people who come out, the less stigmatised it becomes and people will feel more comfortable in seeking help

LostDoggy
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
This is a subject close to my heart as I've suffered from depression myself. I had good family and friends, good job, financial security, bought my own property when I was 22. These are all things that in most cases would make someone satisfied and content with their life. The other side of the coin however is vastly different. You lose interest in things that have been a large part in your life and you can't explain why. You lack motivation and feel like there is no point to life. Fortunately I sought help and worked on strategies to deal with the problem. I still have bad days but am no longer diagnosed as depressed.

People assume that AFL players have it all and live glamorous lives, but one can't help but think that the reality is vastly different and depressive illnesses are much more prevalent than people realise.

Good on Matty Robbins for speaking about his personal experiences.

SonofScray
07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Heath Black's story is pretty interesting re: mental health and his life as a professional footballer.

LostDoggy
08-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Yes, that's true, but sometimes when you talk to people you get inane and thoughtless responses like "get over it" or "move on" or "lighten up and be a bit more positive". People mean well, but they lack empathy. Sometimes they're scared of being sucked into someone else's darkness, or that they'll be burdened them with a problem that will challenge their own self-perception. But you're right, for the afflicted person it helps to off-load.

I think there needs to be more emphasis on the fact that there is a significant medical/biochemical component to depression. That would take a lot of blame out of discussing the issue.

LostDoggy
08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Good luck Matty. One of my favourite players. Always gave 100% regardless of the scoreboard.