PDA

View Full Version : Luke Dahlhaus signs with Bulldogs until 2015

divvydan
07-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Eliza Sewell
Herald Sun
June 07, 2012

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/06/06/1226386/750735-luke-dahlhaus.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs have secured their most exciting prospect, Luke Dahlhaus.

Arguably the AFL's most dynamic teenager, Dahlhaus has signed to the end of 2015.

He was contracted for next year, but the Dogs have rewarded his impact on the competition with a revised deal for 2013, plus an additional two seasons...

Full Story (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/luke-dahlhaus-signs-with-bulldogs-until-2015/story-e6frf9jf-1226386755396?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HeraldSunAfl+%28Herald+Sun+%7C+AFL%29)

Greystache
07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Very good news. Dahl seems like a great kid who appreciates being at the club, he reminds me a lot of Ryan Griffen in that regard. Let's hope he has a similar career.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Very good news. Dahl seems like a great kid who appreciates being at the club, he reminds me a lot of Ryan Griffen in that regard. Let's hope he has a similar career.

I was thinking the same thing.

Great news.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Sensational news. Just love watching this kid do his stuff.

chef
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Happy Days:)

Mantis
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Good news... I look forward to watching him develop over the coming years.

LostDoggy
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Glad we have secured him for the next few years , kid is all class. He is going to be a star.

Ghost Dog
07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
King of the Kids!!!! Great photo

Mofra
07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Hopefully that gives him enough time to grow the dreads back a little when he chops them off at the end of 2012

LostDoggy
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Was really happy to read this on Fox Sports News this morning. Thanks Luke!! :)

KT31
07-06-2012, 12:49 PM
:):):):):):):):)

Eastdog
07-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Great News.

AndrewP6
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Great news to read!

stefoid
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Club renegotiated 2013 (up obviosuly) which he was already contracted for and added two years to it. No Brainers.

Says he is learning how to deal with a tag

Murphy'sLore
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Woo hoo!

LostDoggy
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Onya Grommit!

The Coon Dog
07-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Fantastic news & obviously something all Bulldog fans are happy about.

Just makes you wonder tho, every club could have drafted him & none did, he had to get rookied first. Makes you wonder just how all recruiters miss these gems.

stefoid
07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
King of the Kids!!!! Great photo

Which one is Dal? :D

Remi Moses
07-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Some recruiters must watch games blindfolded.
How he didn't initially get drafted is incredible, really.
The recruiters are to obsessed with beep tests and athletes and kids who've played other sports, some seem like they're more interested in the actual story than picking up a natural footballer.

Go_Dogs
07-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Great news, well done to all parties for getting it done.

azabob
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
The recruiters are to obsessed with beep tests and athletes and kids who've played other sports, some seem like they're more interested in the actual story than picking up a natural footballer.

Some? All of them. Apparently his disposal wasn't great, hence why combined with his lack of height and size saw him slip.

GVGjr
07-06-2012, 10:46 PM

Everyone knew he could play but his size put off clubs. Fortunately clubs have seen the benefits of quick small forwards.

Sockeye Salmon
07-06-2012, 11:12 PM

That doesn't make sense.

Dahlhaus tested the house down, top results in pace and agility. The problem was he couldn't kick.

By your reasoning, he shouldn't have been drafted!

azabob
07-06-2012, 11:19 PM
That doesn't make sense.

Dahlhaus tested the house down, top results in pace and agility. The problem was he couldn't kick.

By your reasoning, he shouldn't have been drafted!

I said the same in an ealier post, and combined with his lack of size, no one thought he was worth the punt.

jeemak
08-06-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm really glad we've given him the opportunity to get settled on our list and learn to become a professional footballer that has to deal with constant attention and how to work within his limitations.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years for him. If he can maintain the level of intensity he's currently bringing to games on a weekly basis then we'll have a player, though he's still very much in the development category for mine.

Having said that, I'm loving that he and the club are willing to commit to eachother over an extended period.

chef
08-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Some? All of them. Apparently his disposal wasn't great, hence why combined with his lack of height and size saw him slip.

Apparently he had the worst disposal efficiency in the league.

Mofra
08-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Fantastic news & obviously something all Bulldog fans are happy about.

Just makes you wonder tho, every club could have drafted him & none did, he had to get rookied first. Makes you wonder just how all recruiters miss these gems.
His kicking efficiency was poor at u18 level, and he was very small too. That's enough to put most off him, or at least take him from "probable" to "maybe".

Smith's kicking is also poor and there were a myriad of arguments against taking him largely on that basis, but I'm still convinved he will be very good for us.

Dahlhaus seems to have been drafted more on attitude than ability for mine, and that attitude has translated into doing the work required to make the grade - listeing to the interview, he seems genuinly grateful for his opportunity.

LostDoggy
08-06-2012, 11:17 AM
This is great news - glad we gave this young man the opportunity which he has seized and embraced wholeheartedly. Hope he goes on to be a 200+ gamer for us, cult-figure all the way!

Maddog37
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
His kicking efficiency was poor at u18 level, and he was very small too. That's enough to put most off him, or at least take him from "probable" to "maybe".

Smith's kicking is also poor and there were a myriad of arguments against taking him largely on that basis, but I'm still convinved he will be very good for us.

Dahlhaus seems to have been drafted more on attitude than ability for mine, and that attitude has translated into doing the work required to make the grade - listeing to the interview, he seems genuinly grateful for his opportunity.

If you get a chance have a look at Brett Kirks kicking action. Really reminded me of Clays style. Kirk had a fair career so you never know.

Mofra
08-06-2012, 02:46 PM
If you get a chance have a look at Brett Kirks kicking action. Really reminded me of Clays style. Kirk had a fair career so you never know.
Jobe Watson is another who cleaned up his action quite alot.
Clay's ball drop is terrible so I'd expect some improvement to come, as long as he gets to serviceable his other attributes should make him quite effective.

Dahl's disposal ability seemed to turn around much quicker

strebla
08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks he should receive the prized number 6 next year. I just really like the way he goes about it with courage and flair which in my mind are the two things you can't teach.

immortalmike
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM

To be fair Kirk (despite flowery media perception) was only ever an okay to decent player but made up for it by being a ruthless competitor and an elite leader. Plus he was a rookie pick not a first round draft pick. Maybe we did overreach with Smith in the draft.

On Topic: Dahlhaus signing for that long is awesome and should be good for supporter morale....

The Coon Dog
09-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Am I the only one who thinks he should receive the prized number 6 next year. I just really like the way he goes about it with courage and flair which in my mind are the two things you can't teach.

Libba for mine, but happy Dahl has 40, all the kids disappointed when Harbrow left would be happy now.

Hotdog60
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Libba for mine, but happy Dahl has 40, all the kids disappointed when Harbrow left would be happy now.

Didn't Grommet get offered a lower number but said he was happy with 40.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I'd rather young kids make their own number, rather than them taking on the numbers of former greats. It satisifies nobody but the fans and media, which inevitably brings more pressure.

Everitt getting #3 is an example in hindsight.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd rather young kids make their own number, rather than them taking on the numbers of former greats. It satisifies nobody but the fans and media, which inevitably brings more pressure.

Or Rocky Stoneham

Or Mark Kellett?

The Pie Man
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Apparently he had the worst disposal efficiency in the league.

Read an article earlier this year where this was raised as the major obstacle to his being drafted, and before the rookie draft in an interview with the Dogs he asked them to have a look at footage of where he was winning possession and consider that when reviewing the quality of his disposal.

Seems that far too much emphasis is put into stats - good on Dahl for raising it the way he did. Same could apply to Boyd and where he wins his ball, though that's a whole other discussion

anfo27
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Great news. Love this kid but think he gets too much attention because of his hair & not enough about his talent. Absolute elite with the ball in his hands, just seems to know where the ball needs to go.
Having said that I have been a bit disappointed in Dahls last month or so. I know he has been sat on more but been watching him & just seems to not work hard enough to have his usual impact. Don't know if its fitness thing & not quite having the tank yet or whether he is carrying a niggle. Hopefully he will be his tenacious self after the break cause he is a pleasure to watch & i find i'm just watching him instead of following the ball.

w3design
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Love the kid the future looks bright with Dahl ,Libba and Wally great news.

strebla
09-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Or Rocky Stoneham

Or Mark Kellett?

Adrian Cambell??:eek:

Hotdog60
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Walter Minogue:D

Rocco Jones
10-06-2012, 11:47 PM

I like how the club values the numbers of legends. 3, 6 and 7 mean a fair bit to us.

On TBB, I think it's more about the kid than the pressure. Dre is the worst type to give that added pressure too. Ironically nicknamed 'rowdy', not really the type who wants extra attention. We shouldn't just give it to a talented kid, it needs to be the right type.

I think it suits a confident kid and can add a bit of confidence. High expectations works well for some people. Either way if the pressure of a number breaks you, I am not sure you are going to make it anyway.

I am with Strebs in seeing the 6 fitting Dahl best but Dahl has said he wants to keep 40 and as TCD mentions, kids love it and we are using him for a fair bit of marketing. When Libba came, we offered him his old man's number but I believe he wanted to make his own mark and took the lowest number available. Wonder if he would take it? He is my next best choice anyway.

If Libba doesn't want it as well, just rest it for another year.

Mofra
11-06-2012, 11:48 AM
To be fair Kirk (despite flowery media perception) was only ever an okay to decent player but made up for it by being a ruthless competitor and an elite leader. Plus he was a rookie pick not a first round draft pick. Maybe we did overreach with Smith in the draft.
That describe's Smith from what I've seen and heard.

Would have been a very good player if not cut down by injury