PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Sutton Memorial Service & Tribute Match

jazzadogs
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
from westernbulldogs.com.au (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/138012/default.aspx)

"The Western Bulldogs today announced the Club and the Sutton Family will hold a special Memorial Service for Dogs champion and great, Charles (Charlie) Sutton, on Friday the 15th of June at the Victory Room, Etihad Stadium.

The service, which will celebrate Charlie’s life and contribution to the Bulldogs, will be open to the public to ensure Bulldogs Members and Fans have the opportunity to farewell our great hero.

The Club will also celebrate Charlie’s life and contribution to the Red, White and Blue during the Bulldogs’ Round 12 clash against Port Adelaide at Etihad on Sunday the 17th of June.

Members and Fans are encouraged to attend this match to pay their last respects to the man that epitomised the Bulldog Spirit.

Further details of the Memorial Service and Tribute Match will be made available next week.

Please note family and friends will hold a private funeral to farewell Charlie."

Charlie Sutton Memorial Service

Date: Friday 15 June, 2012

Time: 1.30 PM (doors open at 1.00 PM)

Venue: Victory Room, Etihad Stadium

Charlie Sutton Tribute Match

Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide Round 12

Date: Sunday 17 June, 2012

Time: Pre-match before bounce at 4:40 PM

Venue: Etihad Stadium

LostDoggy
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Friday service at Etihad?
I thought we re-developed Whitten oval specifically for this type of function.
Great to honour a legend of the club but I hate to promote anything run by Ian Collins.
Surely the right place is Whitten oval no matter how the corporates feel.

Eastdog
07-06-2012, 05:37 PM
I thought we re-developed Whitten oval specifically for these type of function.
Great to honour a legend of the club but I hate to promote anything run by Ian Collins.

Or even the MCG - "The Home of Football". This is where we won the 1954 premiership.

AndrewP6
07-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Two trips to Etihad in two days? I'd much rather make the trek to Whitten Oval if I'm going anywhere.

LostDoggy
07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Two trips to Etihad in two days? I'd much rather make the trek to Whitten Oval if I'm going anywhere.

I agree Andrew, Doubt the boss will give me the time off, might have to pull a sickie. :rolleyes:

Twodogs
08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I thought we re-developed Whitten oval specifically for this type of function.

Terrific point Chops. I just dont know why a tribute for Charlie would be held at Etihad. It seems to me that this would have been a wonderful opportunity to showcase Whitten Oval. I'm guessing that Charlie will be buried at either Footscray cemetry or Altona memorial park. The service could have been held at Whitten Oval and then the cortege could have travelled down Geelong road to either destination.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Agree Chops. Why on earth Etihad? Maybe they are expecting quite a crowd....but Whitten is big enough? Perhaps they expect the weather to be poor. Still, I wouldn't care. Odd

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't really care where it's held, if anything, Etihad is better for me as I work in the city and it means I will be able to attend. Will definitely go along, may not stay for the entire service as I have to work, but I'm delighted we get a chance to farewell Charlie. If he can drag himself in a wheelchair to the Hall Of Fame, I can drag myself to his memorial service. :)

Max469
14-06-2012, 02:48 AM
I don't really care where it's held, if anything, Etihad is better for me as I work in the city and it means I will be able to attend. Will definitely go along, may not stay for the entire service as I have to work, but I'm delighted we get a chance to farewell Charlie. If he can drag himself in a wheelchair to the Hall Of Fame, I can drag myself to his memorial service. :)

I agree. I will also be there, he was our club. Just makes it so much easier at Etihad.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-06-2012, 11:06 AM
from westernbulldogs.com.au (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/138012/default.aspx)

"The Western Bulldogs today announced the Club and the Sutton Family will hold a special Memorial Service for Dogs champion and great, Charles (Charlie) Sutton, on Friday the 15th of June at the Victory Room, Etihad Stadium.

The service, which will celebrate Charlie’s life and contribution to the Bulldogs, will be open to the public to ensure Bulldogs Members and Fans have the opportunity to farewell our great hero.

The Club will also celebrate Charlie’s life and contribution to the Red, White and Blue during the Bulldogs’ Round 12 clash against Port Adelaide at Etihad on Sunday the 17th of June.

Members and Fans are encouraged to attend this match to pay their last respects to the man that epitomised the Bulldog Spirit.

Further details of the Memorial Service and Tribute Match will be made available next week.

Please note family and friends will hold a private funeral to farewell Charlie."

Charlie Sutton Memorial Service

Date: Friday 15 June, 2012

Time: 1.30 PM (doors open at 1.00 PM)

Venue: Victory Room, Etihad Stadium

Charlie Sutton Tribute Match

Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide Round 12

Date: Sunday 17 June, 2012

Time: Pre-match before bounce at 4:40 PM

Venue: Etihad Stadium

The tribute match against Port Adelaide on Sunday will include a guard of honour, prior to the game, to include the Sutton family and past Best and Fairest winners after which the B& F is named the Charles Sutton Medal. There will be seating for 1,000 guests in the Victory Room at Etihad Stadium for tomorrow's Memorial Service.

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I went to the memorial service this afternoon. To say it was touching is the understatement of the year! The Dogs put on a wonderful tribute to the man, there were heaps of funny anecdotes, memories and every single speaker showed the total respect and admiration that he was held in. The theme for the service was really about how Charlie was our greatest supporter, in addition to being our greatest captain and coach.

One thing that Dougie Hawkins said just really stayed with me. In all his time at the club, Dougie had never heard Charlie pot a single player. Not one. Ever. I thought to myself, if the fans really want to honour Charlie this weekend, maybe we should try to do the same, if only for a week.

Eastdog
15-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I went to the memorial service this afternoon. To say it was touching is the understatement of the year! The Dogs put on a wonderful tribute to the man, there were heaps of funny anecdotes, memories and every single speaker showed the total respect and admiration that he was held in. The theme for the service was really about how Charlie was our greatest supporter, in addition to being our greatest captain and coach.

One thing that Dougie Hawkins said just really stayed with me. In all his time at the club, Dougie had never heard Charlie pot a single player. Not one. Ever. I thought to myself, if the fans really want to honour Charlie this weekend, maybe we should try to do the same, if only for a week.

From what you have said BornAScragger it sounds like it was a wonderful tribute to Charile. This man has contributed so much to our club leading us to our first ever premiership as captain/coach and also later being the president for a couple of years. A true legend of the Bulldogs. Let's get a win on Sunday. What did David Smorgon say?

Max469
15-06-2012, 06:08 PM

I was there too. Touching tribute to Charlie.

I sat next to Stuart McGee and Former North Melbourne Coach - Keith McKenzie. Both lovely gentleman. Stuart humble enough to think I would not know him by name. My reply of course I knew him.

It was a double banger for me as I grew up in a North Melbourne supporting family, Mr McKenzie was the man who gave Schimmer his number 20 jumper. My mums favourite player.

Hearing Bob speak with much emotion and Johnno too - it made me so proud I barrack for our club.

As Charlie said - you need heart to win - so boys now is the chance to have big hearts.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2012, 07:09 PM

I loved that part too BornAScragger.

Maddog37
15-06-2012, 07:38 PM
These are the sort of things I aspire to personally and find myself continually failing. That is true leadership really. Showing people it is possible to do things the right way and still succeed. Charlie really was the man!

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-06-2012, 08:04 PM
This was a marvelous tribute to Charlie with 750 people in attendance. Stirring speeches by close friend and former Board member, Graeme Sherry, David Smorgan, Harvey Stevens, Brad Johnson and Doug Hawkins. Former greats in attendance included Neil Roberts, Bob Skilton, Keith McKenzie and George Coates and Hugh Mitchell. Members of the '54 premiership there included Stevens, Henderson, Ross, Box, Reynolds, Bryden, Stockman and Abbey. Reference was made to 60 members of Charlie's extended family being in attendance. Former coaches in Don McKenzie, Terry Wheeler and Rodney Eade as was current coach Brendan McCartney. In attendance were former stars in Bisset, Foster, Liberatore, Grant, Beasley
and Magee. The WB Club should be congratulated on a first class memorial service brilliantly staged.

SquirrelGrip
15-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes, it was a great event for the club. Dougie was actually articulate! and there was such a focus on TEAM.

I thought there might have been more there though, but it was fantastic to see Peter Box around the club again.

AndrewP6
15-06-2012, 11:33 PM
From all accounts a great tribute to the great man. Just poorly timed IMO, during the working day and two days before many will travel out to ES again.

Scraggers
17-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Does anyone know if the service was videoed ... I have searched for a link to watch but have only found snippets.

I too, am disappointed the service was not at The Whitten Oval ... This is the home of Footscray and the appropriate location. Etihad is just a stadium !!

bornadog
17-06-2012, 01:27 PM
does anyone know if the service was videoed ... I have searched for a link to watch but have only found snippets.

I too, am disappointed the service was not at the whitten oval ... This is the home of footscray and the appropriate location. Etihad is just a stadium !!

The only glimse is here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-urged-to-show-the-late-charlie-suttons-spirit-against-port-adelaide/story-e6frf9jf-1226397493770)