PDA

View Full Version : Round 11 - Other Matches

Eastdog
08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
For all discussion of the Round 11 matches with Carlton and Geelong starting in 20 minutes.

Eastdog
08-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Geelong win and are still there but not as strong as they were a couple of years ago. Carlton are in trouble now and may not make the 8.

Remi Moses
08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Neither of these sides will finish top 4 .
Seriously Brett Ratten looks like an idiot punching the air 10 minutes in the first!
More pressure on for Ratts, Looking forward to feral talkback:D
Geelong's kids are very good Motlop, Duncan superb.
Megan Gale must have a supporting clause that she isn't seen at a Northern Blues, Bullants or whatever they're called game. This club traded their best ruckman Jacobs.

Eastdog
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Freo currently winning against Richmond with around 10 minutes to go. If Richmond lose you watch the Tiger army turn on their club again.

azabob
09-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Interesting result with the tigers. Conditions built for a Ross Lyon scrap and even more so considering the heat he's getting in the media. Richmond still young and prone to the mental let down.

The above is assuming Richmond don't win from here!

Remi Moses
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Freo laid 117 tackles, to Richmonds 82.
Lyon coaches contest football, Richmond like it open.

chef
09-06-2012, 05:43 PM
St Kilda playing GC twice already:confused:, WTF AD. How about a draw instead of a fixture.

LostDoggy
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Richmond are pretenders. Freo havent won at the G for 5 years, a week after losing at home to the crows. The Tigers hype was over powering. Aim for 9th.
I heard Tigers fan Leaping Larry L say he was sick of other fans being sympathetic and wanted to be hated again. Can't say I was ever sympathetic to Richmond, more a source of humour.

LostDoggy
09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold Coast copping another hiding. Another 10 years before they come good.
I'd take Harbrow back.

GVGjr
09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Richmond are pretenders. Freo havent won at the G for 5 years, a week after losing at home to the crows. The Tigers hype was over powering. Aim for 9th.
I heard Tigers fan Leaping Larry L say he was sick of other fans being sympathetic and wanted to be hated again. Can't say I was ever sympathetic to Richmond, more a source of humour.

They've played some good football but still have a way to go. They have got their act together off field and I can see them improving. I just think it's a bit easy to call them pretenders.

Mantis
09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Gold Coast copping another hiding. Another 10 years before they come good.

Why will it take 10 years?

Eastdog
09-06-2012, 10:21 PM
It is such an open season with Sydney winning easily over Essendon. The team on the best run at the end of the season will win the premiership.

comrade
09-06-2012, 10:56 PM
If Sydney drops this, it will be the greatest choke of all time.

Eastdog
09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Amazing how Sydney let them back in. Essendon still can win. 7 commentary team definitely more pro Essendon.

Mantis
09-06-2012, 11:15 PM
27 more inside 50's for Essendon.

0-10 for their last 10 games in June.

comrade
09-06-2012, 11:28 PM
It was nice seeing the excitement of the Bomber fans as they were storming home, only to be completely deflated when the siren sounded.

Massive tease.

Remi Moses
09-06-2012, 11:40 PM
It was nice seeing the excitement of the Bomber fans as they were storming home, only to be completely deflated when the siren sounded.

Massive tease.

Think some went home at 3/4 time.
Haphazard goal kicking and sloppy forward entries cost the bombres.
BTW why on earth are a rich club having a telethon ?
They rely alot on Jobe Watson at the clearances.Thought Sydney's spread and numbers at each contest was pivotal,and in particular Lewis Jetta.

Remi Moses
10-06-2012, 01:27 AM
You always know when the big boys lose .
The umpiring whinge count reaches epic proportions!!:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
10-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Why will it take 10 years?

All the new clubs take a while but one in a non afl town with more passion for partying and holidays will take longer.
Other football codes have struggled there. The bears whilst at Carrara were no good either.

ledge
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
All the new clubs take a while but one in a non afl town with more passion for partying and holidays will take longer.
Other football codes have struggled there. The bears whilst at Carrara were no good either.

Im not sure non AFL town makes a difference,not like thats where you get your players from anymore, its now from everywhere with a draft, its all about getting the right players and having a good coaching panel to work together and a bit of luck.

LostDoggy
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Im not sure non AFL town makes a difference,not like thats where you get your players from anymore, its now from everywhere with a draft, its all about getting the right players and having a good coaching panel to work together and a bit of luck.

Sorry but it does.
A place without any passion for the game makes it very difficult to build a club.
You can pump it with all the money you like but until the club has a heart and soul it's not going anywhere.

ledge
10-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry but it does.
A place without any passion for the game makes it very difficult to build a club.
You can pump it with all the money you like but until the club has a heart and soul it's not going anywhere.

Storm did well from the start.
Victory did well too.

LostDoggy
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Storm did well from the start.
Victory did well too.
You're too predictable.
Victory did it in a comp almost full of new teams.
Melbournians love their sport and are very loyal to the town, compare it with the gold coast.

Hotdog60
10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
You're too predictable.
Victory did it a comp almost full of new teams.
Melbournians love their sport and are very loyal to the town, compare it with the gold coast.

I live up north and the supporters are very fickle. You only have to look at Brisbane and how their membership has dropped off due to lack of success. During the 3 peet everyone was on the bandwagon and it soon declined after that.

I think the only die hards would be ex Victorians, the rest will go back to following League.

The trouble with new clubs is that they haven't done the mileage and the pain it entails to make you a life long supporter, if they can survive 50 or more years it maybe a different story but in enemy territory the going is going to be tough.

chef
10-06-2012, 04:58 PM
You're too predictable.
Victory did it a comp almost full of new teams.

Yep, how many professional teams have died on th GC. Chargers(Giants then Seagulls then Chargers) , Bears, United, Cougars/Rollers etc

Hotdog60
10-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Yep, how many professional teams have died on th GC. Chargers(Giants then Seagulls then Chargers) , Bears, United, Cougars/Rollers etc

Titians seem to be in a bit of strife too.

westdog54
10-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Titians seem to be in a bit of strife too.

Beat me to it.

Had Michael Searle spent as much time running the club as he did firing broadsides at the AFL I think they'd be in reasonably good shape.

Hard to disagree with Chops' call on this one (Normally its very easy to disagree with him:D). I think they've gone backwards this year. I expected them to be far more competitive with some fitness in the young players.

Last year they got blown out late quite a bit. This year they seem to just be getting flogged. Ablett, Horsley and K. Hunt seem to be the only ones trying on a regular basis. Having said that they are missing Swallow in a big big way.

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2012, 10:30 PM
The trouble with new clubs is that they haven't done the mileage and the pain it entails to make you a life long supporter, if they can survive 50 or more years it maybe a different story but in enemy territory the going is going to be tough.

This.

The AFL don't get it. Gifting the Giants and Suns a flag won't make them successful long term because those who jump on when they win will jump off as soon as they start to lose. Port Adelaide had a head start, won a flag after 8 years (and won 3 minor premierships as well) and are still in the poo.

Remi Moses
11-06-2012, 12:27 AM
It's a transiat population where the imported Mexicans ( Us) are already rusted on fans of a Melbourne club. Doesn't help when the team isn't competitive, you'd have to ask questions about the coaching and recruiting.GWS already seem to have grasped the need to be competitive and look to be coached accordingly. Gotta say 11,000 to their first game at a new stadium is underwhelming to say the least

westdog54
11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
This.

The AFL don't get it. Gifting the Giants and Suns a flag won't make them successful long term because those who jump on when they win will jump off as soon as they start to lose. Port Adelaide had a head start, won a flag after 8 years (and won 3 minor premierships as well) and are still in the poo.

The problem with Port Adelaide is that the were so despised by the remainder of the SANFL that they had Buckley's of attracting otherwise neutral SA Footy Fans. I'm willing to reserve judgement on GC and GWS at this stage but I think giving Port a licence was a big mistake on the AFL's part.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Why are they so despised? Case of being too successful in the SANFL? or more than that. What is it about the magpie that draws such ire? :D

westdog54
11-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Why are they so despised? Case of being too successful in the SANFL? or more than that. What is it about the magpie that draws such ire? :D

I think its more that they have been so smug of said success. Having said that without the input of one our many Adelaide based WOOFers I'm flying blind on that.

I think the most damning indictement on Port's following is that they attract higher crowds to Showdowns than they do finals.

Greystache
11-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Picture Collingwood supporters but with actual on field success, then perhaps drop them one more rung on the socioeconomic ladder.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Picture Collingwood supporters but with actual on field success, then perhaps drop them one more rung on the socioeconomic ladder.

LOL Super-feral Collingwood supporters who win premierships on a regular basis. What a nightmare.