PDA

View Full Version : Chris Grant in AFL Hall of Fame

azabob
13-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Some tweets going around advising Grant has been inducted into the AFL hall of Fame.

Desipura
13-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Some tweets going around advising Grant has been inducted into the AFL hall of Fame.
A great reward from a terrific player and by all reports a fantastic person, great to see him being recognised in this way.

cinder
13-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes!!! So rapt for him. A true champion that thoroughly deserves it. Well done Chris!

SlimPickens
13-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Great news for Granty, one of the true gentlemen of the AFL.

Great recognition of a brilliant career!

Rocco Jones
13-06-2012, 10:06 PM
A great footy player but an even better man.

BulldogBelle
13-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Congrats to Chris Grant on his induction into the AFL Hall of Fame...so deserved. :)

AndrewP6
13-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Well done Granty, great recognition of a great footy person.

Remi Moses
13-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Well Deserved!
Now the AFL should give him that Brownlow

azabob
13-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Well Deserved!
Now the AFL should give him that Brownlow

This is better than a brownlow.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Great recognition for an absolute champion on and off the field -- a better role model you won't find.

Max469
13-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Congratulations Chris - such a Champion, such a gentleman.

So so much better than a Brownlow.

Happy Days
13-06-2012, 11:06 PM
About time, should've been in sooner. What a legend.

LostDoggy
13-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Thoroughly deserved, amazing player, congrats Chris.

bornadog
13-06-2012, 11:41 PM
What a champ, thoroughly deserved.

Grant's Honour - Click to Watch Chris Grant's Australian Football Hall of Fame induction video highlights package (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/138502/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Picture1.jpg

EVERYONE you speak to about Chris Grant notes his quiet humility. They describe him as a quality person.

This was evident from the moment he joined Footscray before the 1990 season.

He was so quiet during his early years that his nickname was 'Turtle', because it was rare for him to come out of his shell.

Before the 1994 season, he had grown enough to seek a meeting with coach Terry Wheeler. He wanted to take over the No.3 guernsey. Wheeler noted that it took a lot of self-belief to ask for the club's most famous number, which had been worn by Ted Whitten among others. He knew then that Grant himself would become a club legend.

At the end of the 1996 season, Grant received an offer of all the king's horses to play with new club Port Adelaide. He gave the move serious thought before receiving a letter from a six-year-old boy, Ryan Adams. The letter included a 20-cent coin. The boy explained it was all he had, but his hero could keep it if he remained with the Bulldogs. Grant chose to stay.

By 1997, Grant was established among the game's best. He moved easily and he marked with courage. He had all the qualities of a Brownlow medallist, but after round seven he was ruled out because of suspension.

During the Brownlow count, Grant received three votes for the game he was reported in. He received more votes than any other player — most importantly one more than St Kilda's Robert Harvey — but his suspension cost him the medal. Grant accepted the outcome with customary grace.

Grant was always a calm figure in the centre of a storm. In 1992 the Bulldogs reached the finals just three seasons after the club had been revived from its deathbed. The excitement was too much for some, and the Bulldogs went under in their first final. Grant was clearly best on ground as the Bulldogs rebounded to defeat St Kilda in the semi-final. Their future was in the hands of a 19-year-old.

In 2000 the Bulldogs were trailing Essendon late in round 21 when Grant ran in from the boundary to hook a kick on his left foot. His nerveless goal enabled the Dogs to hit the front and they went on to inflict on the Bombers their only defeat of the season. The celebrations afterwards, with Grant at the centre, are among the most jubilant in the club's history.

Under coach Rodney Eade in the mid-2000s Grant played mainly up forward with occasional forays into defence. His ability to read the play and distribute the ball made him a perfect foil across half-back.

Eade said it was a measure of Grant's selflessness that he played on through his later years with serious injuries. Others might not have risked the damage to their reputations, but Grant felt he was able to contribute as long as he could run on to the ground.

After an 18-season career, Grant said it meant a lot that he was able to play his entire career at one club. He feels like he belongs to the Bulldogs. It's the observation of a quality person.

bulldogsman
14-06-2012, 12:12 AM
What a guy! Congrats Granty!

Greystache
14-06-2012, 12:23 AM
A well deserved honour.

Eastdog
14-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Well deserved. Chris Grant is a champion of our footy club. Well Done Chris.

Bulldog4life
14-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Fantastic News, Saw him play one of his first practice matches at Skinners. You could see then he was going to be, as Bruce would say, "special". Great footballer and great man.

Remi Moses
14-06-2012, 02:42 AM
This is better than a brownlow.

I'm sure the reputable Ian Collins will examine ways to take it off him.
Class act Chris Grant.

chef
14-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Well done Chris. My favourite ever sportsperson:).

always right
14-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Has there ever been a more popular player at the dogs? Some were certainly as popular.....but I think there is genuine affection for the great man and all he has done for the club. A true great.

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm sure the reputable Ian Collins will examine ways to take it off him.
Class act Chris Grant.

F*** him. Don't see Ian Collins on the Hall Of Fame list, and never will.

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Firstly, the Hall of Fame was designed for people like Granty. Travesty it has taken so long, they should have changed the rules so that he was inducted while still playing, preferably after he kicked the goal to sink the Bombers in 2000, or just because he's such a great bloke. I vote that we change the phrase 'great bloke' in our vocabulary to 'chrisgrant' ie. "you know, Baz? Yeah, he's a real chrisgrant."

Secondly, the kid with the 20 cents is a liar. No way that was all the money he had, unless, of course, he had lost his shirt in the dot-com crash.

Finally, Ian Collins can choke on his own nomination into the Hall of Fame. Oh wait, not in a million years will Collins get close to the Hall of Fame? Well, na na na na na.

Ps. Next stop, "Legend" status.

Ozza
14-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Great to see the 'Rolls Royce' honoured by the league.

My all time favourite footballer/sportsman and the best player we've had in my lifetime. When my son is old enough for his first bulldogs jumper he'll have number 3 on the back.....for Granty!

Pickenitup
14-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Best Dogs Player i have ever seen So So worthy
Would love if the Club produced a Dvd of the Great mans Career so many
Highlights.

WBFC4FFC
14-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Just a quick one. Could "Turtle" have been inducted last year? (How many years out of the game do you have to be to be eligible)? If so, I wonder why did the AFL over-look him?

Sockeye Salmon
14-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Just a quick one. Could "Turtle" have been inducted last year? (How many years out of the game do you have to be to be eligible)? If so, I wonder why did the AFL over-look him?

Yes he could have and they didn't because the AFL are only really interested in the bigger clubs.

Hird, Voss, Buckley and Riscuitto all went in last year.

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Well done Chris! You are truly a wonderful person - a legend.

bornadog
14-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Yes he could have and they didn't because the AFL are only really interested in the bigger clubs.

I would have Chris over any of those in my team.

Rocco Jones
14-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I've mentioned this before but I can never stop gushing over Grant...

My girlfriend's nan lived next door to him for awhile. She broke her leg and he came over, gave her all their phone number and insisted she call him or his wife any time she needed help.

Obviously echoing what everyone else is saying, such a wonderful bloke.

Greystache
15-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Just been thinking about it- Do people think Chris Grant would have been inducted into the of fame so quickly had he have taken the money and gone to Port Adelaide?

Personally I don't think he would have, I think rejecting the money and staying at the Bulldogs added to his standing in the game, which goes to show that there is so many things to factor in when considering big offers from other clubs.

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Just been thinking about it- Do people think Chris Grant would have been inducted into the of fame so quickly had he have taken the money and gone to Port Adelaide?

Personally I don't think he would have, I think rejecting the money and staying at the Bulldogs added to his standing in the game, which goes to show that there is so many things to factor in when considering big offers from other clubs.

Had Grant taken the money, he would have been able to play CHB and would be recognised as the best CHB of his generation. He could easily have ended up a 3 time premiership captain.

Greystache
15-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Had Grant taken the money, he would have been able to play CHB and would be recognised as the best CHB of his generation. He could easily have ended up a 3 time premiership captain.

That may well have happened, although I can't see Port Adelaide winning any of those flags that Brisbane won. Yet despite winning a Brownlow, 2 premierships, and playing 300 games Gavin Wanganeen isn't in the hall of fame.

jeemak
15-06-2012, 02:12 AM

I rate Hird and Voss in the same league as Grant, but not Buckley and Riscuito.

Opportunity and profile to each players respective clubs has a lot to do with things in this instance, though I can't help but think Chris has been severely dudded by the fact he hadn't won a premiership (whilst being unlucky enough to play for us :o).

The guy kicked 554 goals in his career, and played at least 40% of his games in the backline. He came second in the Brownlow in 1996 as a genuine CHB and polled the most votes in 1997 as a CHF, and since those years no KPP's have registered anything close to that (and, prior to his achievements the Brownlow was already a midfielders award, much the same as it is now).

He also had by far the best left and right foot pass after taking a leading mark over 40m in the league the game has ever seen.

He was unlucky to have to contend for the best CHF position behind Wanking Carey, as he was the best ever in that position.

Anyway, great effort to be inducted Chris and you deserve a lot more credit than you receive for your excellent career.

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Excellent that he was honoured alongside the great Graham Cornes whose four games for North Melbourne rocketed him into this bracket of champions.

Maddog37
15-06-2012, 09:50 AM
I would be happy to have any of those other players mentioned in the red white and blue. Except Buckley who I feel only ever played for himself. Strangely enough I quite like him in his current guise.

Great point on Wanganeen too. Wonder who's toes he stood on.........

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 11:19 AM
You'd think Wanganeen will get a nod at some point.

EasternWest
15-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Well done Chris. My favourite ever sportsperson:).

Me too. I consider myself lucky to have seen him play.

azabob
15-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Below is a link to Chris Grant's H.O.F speech as well as an interview with Grant, Mark Fine and Rohan Connolly.

You will need to scroll through the range of interviews but they are well worth it.

Grant speaks on a range of topics from the 1989 merger, why he refused the Port offer, prelim finals and the brownlow.

Truly a great individual.

Well done Chris.

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Chris-Grant-AFL-Hall-of-Fame-Induction/4903

LostDoggy
16-06-2012, 01:15 AM
You'd think Wanganeen will get a nod at some point.

If Wanganeen gets the nod, and he probably should, then Akermanis would get it first, you would think... 300 games, Brownlow, and 3 flags.

Well done Chris Grant.

jeemak
16-06-2012, 03:58 AM
If Wanganeen gets the nod, and he probably should, then Akermanis would get it first, you would think... 300 games, Brownlow, and 3 flags.

Well done Chris Grant.

Jason Akermanis should definitely be inducted as a Hall of Fame player, at the earliest possible chance.

I'm fairly clear on the reasons why he was outed by both of the AFL clubs he played for, and I have very little doubt he isn't accepted as a favourable personality as far as the clubs that outed him are concerned, and in some cases the type of person the AFL would like pushing their barrell.

All that aside, he was one of the most sublimely talented players the game has seen over the last 25 years, and his ability to influence a serious game in that time was only eclipsed by a handfull of players.

I don't like the guy, but he should get the nod immediately.

westdog54
16-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Excellent that he was honoured alongside the great Graham Cornes whose four games for North Melbourne rocketed him into this bracket of champions.

Bit disrespectful to Cornes, his contribution to football in South Australia is unquestioned.

strebla
16-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Bit disrespectful to Cornes, his contribution to football in South Australia is unquestioned.

Agree we never saw his best in this state but really he is no Chris Grant and yes I am a gusher about the great man too!!!

westdog54
16-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Agree we never saw his best in this state but really he is no Chris Grant and yes I am a gusher about the great man too!!!

364 games in the SANFL from the late 60s to the mid 80s (SANFL was a strong league in those days), a SANFL flag as a player and 2 as coach, 21 State of Origin games as a player and SA coach for 8 years, twice All-Australian coach while at Glenelg, inargural Crows Coach... agree he's no Chris Grant but probably an overdue induction if anything.