PDA

View Full Version : Round 12 Match Preview: Western Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide

G-Mo77
14-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Round 12: Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Sunday June 17th 2012 4:40PM

This is my first go at these so please be gentle. I’ve used last weeks preview as a template. I hope you don’t mind Cyberdoggie.

Recent History
2011 R22 Port Adelaide 15.7 (97) lost to Western Bulldogs 24.13 (157) AAMI Stadium
2010 R16 Western Bulldogs 12.11 (83) dftd Port Adelaide 7.5 (47) TIO Stadium
2009 R12 Western Bulldogs 21.11 (137) dftd Port Adelaide 7.2 (44) TIO Stadium
2008 R14 Western Bulldogs 20.15 (135) dftd Port Adelaide 11.15 (81) TIO Stadium
2007 R14 Western Bulldogs 20.13 (133) dftd Port Adelaide 17.11 (113) Etihad Stadium

Recent Form

Western Bulldogs LWWLL (ladder position 15th)

Port Adelaide LWWWL (ladder position 13th)

Key Statistics

Western Bulldogs
Ranked 15th in Points For Per Game
Ranked 7th in Points Against Per Game
Ranked 16th in Marks Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 3rd in Handballs Per Game

Averages
207.2 Kicks
170.2 Handballs
377.4 Disposals
78.1 Marks
10.5 Goals
65.4 Tackles
43.9 Hitouts

Key Players (Average Per Game Statistics)
M. Boyd 18.4 kicks, 14.0 hballs, 32.4 disps, 5.1 marks
R. Griffen 17.1 kicks, 9.9 hballs, 27.0 disps
D. Cross 9.2 kicks, 15.6 hballs, 24.8 disps
W. Minson 7.8 hballs, 31.3 hitouts
R. Hargrave 13.0 kicks, 8.2 hballs, 21.2 disps, 6.4 marks

Port Adelaide Power
Ranked 12th in Points For Per Game
Ranked 14th in Points Against Per Game
Ranked 16th in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 12th in Handballs Per Game

Averages
195.8 Kicks
149.1 Handballs
344.9 Disposals
86.0 Marks
11.9 Goals
64.0 Tackles
37.6 Hitouts

Key Players (Average Per Game Statistics)
B. Ebert 13.6 kicks, 22.2 disps, 5.4 marks, 1.0 goals
K. Cornes 13.4 kicks, 11.7 hballs, 25.1 disps, 6.4 marks
M. Broadbent 12.9 kicks, 19.7 disps, 1.1 goals
J. McCarthy 12.8 kicks, 8.7 hballs, 21.5 disps, 5.2 marks
H. Hartlett 12.0 kicks, 8.4 hballs, 20.4 disps

Match Up's

Picken V Pearce
Pearce has been in good form since being demoted after Round 5. Played a blinder against the Roos in his return and backed up again against Gold Coast, dropped off a little over the last 2 games but is still a very handy player for the Power. Picken usually gets the job on him and gives him so I expect Liam to shut him out of the game.

Griffen Vs Cornes
Griffen is our diamond and I expect to see the Power’s No #1 tagger go to him. We need Griffen to have a big game Sunday to get us over the line so he and our midfield will have to work hard in blocking to free him up.

Back Line Vs Forward Line
I expect them to try and stretch us defensively. Schulz, who still seems to fall under the radar in the general football public has been great this season. He hasn’t really troubled us over the years though but we can’t take him lightly. I’m expecting Austin to get the job early on and Lake shifting if he’s getting beaten. Butcher didn’t play last week but after a 6 goal outing against us last season and I’m certain he’ll return, Shaggy or Austin are the likely opponents.. Westhoff while not a natural “big” forward is mobile Murphy, Wood or Shaggy will likely be the guys taking him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Stewart or Lobbe come in as well and if this is the case I expect Lake to take one of those guys.

Edit: Forgot about Redden. I doubt they'd bring in another big along with the 2 Rucks already in the team. Lake to take the resting ruck

Vice Versa
I like Port’s defence and I think our tall forwards will struggle against the likes of Chaplin, Carsile and Trengrove. We’ll need Gia, Higgins and Dickson to bob up and kick a few goals. Don’t be surprised to see Veszpremi spend time up forward again this week. I’m certain Jones will be included in this weeks team.

The Verdict

We’ve had it over the Power in recent years but I expect this to be a very tough game. IMO our midfield has the edge this week especially with Boak on the shelf for a few and think he have the cattle in there to out work the Power Mids. I have my concerns in both the back half and forward half but despite the backline being completely decimated with injury with have been surprisingly strong down there. We should be fresh after the bye and wanting to make up for the debacle in Sydney not to mention the tribute to Charlie. It’ll be a tight contest for most of the game and we’ll pull away late in the 4th for a 22 point win.

Please add to a lot I have missed or pick apart. :)

Ghost Dog
14-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the great write up G-Mo7
Hopefully lots of fans come out and give Charlie a grand send off.
You are right about Schultz. If he were over here, or especially, in another team, he'd be all over the papers. Will be attending this one 30 odd folk from South America and Asia. Bracing myself for having to explain the rules 30 times over.

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Hamish Harlett needs someones attention, Carlton let him run free 2 weeks ago and he was BOG by a long long way. He's ball use is elite and could really cut us apart at Etihad.

Cyberdoggie
14-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Great review, especially love the format ;) ( I copied Rocco from the previous week)

Interesting to note that we haven't played a game against the power in Melbourne since 2007.

Certainly a danger game this one, at first glance you would think that this is two low end teams playing each other on a sunday twilight game where no one will turn up to.
But in reality there is plenty to play for. Port are actually ahead of us on the ladder, and looking for another scalp that will put them amongst the mid table group. Us on the other hand are looking to do the same, a loss will pretty much confirm us as a bottom 4 side.

If we can't knock off port at home then we probably deserve that.

I'm tipping us to win but if port come to play this could be ugly.

G-Mo77
14-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Interesting to note that we haven't played a game against the power in Melbourne since 2007.

That was something I noticed as well.

I remember playing them in a NAB cup game at Etihad in 2009 or 2010 I believe.

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Good write-up.

I would play Picken on either Ebert or Broadbent. Pearce has played his one good game for the year.

As Schulz plays deep I would expect Lake to take him.

G-Mo77
14-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Good write-up.

I would play Picken on either Ebert or Broadbent. Pearce has played his one good game for the year.

Fair call.

The reason I listed it that way is because Picken gives Pearce nightmares. Picken would be already in his head before even going out on the field. He runs out on the ground and doesn't see the hard tag he's automatically confident. He can still be a pretty damaging player if given space so I'd still like to see that matchup.

bornadog
14-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Thank you for the preview.

We really need to show some form after the debacle in Sydney. Port have been playing a lot better than they did at the start of the season, but surely we can beat them at Eithad.

Greystache
14-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Great preview G-Mo, thanks.

GVGjr
14-06-2012, 08:10 PM
G-Mo, enjoyed the read and thank you. Austin on Shultz would be a great challenge and I think he is ready for it.
Brad Ebert has been playing well so I wonder if he will get a tag of sorts.

bulldogsman
14-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Good read.

I remember Schultz kicking 4 or 5 goals on us in Darwin in a half of footy. If Lake takes him, I hope he's on his game this time. I think it was Wood who had to take him after that and he hardly touched it. Maybe another option if he gets on top.

F'scary
14-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm with you G-mo. I reckon we can win this.

Eastdog
14-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Thank you for the preview G-Mo77. This match I believe is a danger game but I think we can win. If it was over at AAMI Stadium Port would go in favourites but its at Etihad and that give us an advantage. We have to bounce back from 2 weeks ago when we put in that awful effort against Sydney.

jeemak
15-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Good preview mate.

I think we might have tabled trading for Schultz a few years ago, and it was shouted down by all and sundry, including yours' truly. He'd be very very handy in our forward line right now. Goes to show, you should stamp a players papers too early.

I'm looking forward to watching Hartlett play. He's as good a chance out of anyone to be the best player from the 2008 draft, and I think he needs serious watching. I'd be sending Picken to him.

Maddog37
15-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I like Austin on Schulz as he takes most of his marks on the lead.

I would be keen to tag Pearce/hartlett as Ebert etc do not hurt you with their skills.

I think our mids should be too strong for them and Cooney is due to go nuts.

Ghost Dog
15-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I like Austin on Schulz as he takes most of his marks on the lead.

I would be keen to tag Pearce/hartlett as Ebert etc do not hurt you with their skills.

I think our mids should be too strong for them and Cooney is due to go nuts.

Good point Maddog37

Was reading about Chris Grant during the week, and I immediately thought of Cooney.

"Eade said it was a measure of Grant's selflessness that he played on through his later years with serious injuries. Others might not have risked the damage to their reputations, but Grant felt he was able to contribute as long as he could run on to the ground."

Still has a lot to contribute, although the salary issue perhaps galls a few supporters.

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138671/default.aspx

Port have dropped Carlile because he's not fit enough! Certainly helps..

This decision may mean Roughy gets another game. Carlile would be the perfect match up for him.

bornadog
15-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Good preview mate.

I think we might have tabled trading for Schultz a few years ago, and it was shouted down by all and sundry, including yours' truly. He'd be very very handy in our forward line right now. Goes to show, you should stamp a players papers too early.

I'm looking forward to watching Hartlett play. He's as good a chance out of anyone to be the best player from the 2008 draft, and I think he needs serious watching. I'd be sending Picken to him.

Sedat is a fan

G-Mo77
15-06-2012, 05:10 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138671/default.aspx

Port have dropped Carlile because he's not fit enough! Certainly helps..

This decision may mean Roughy gets another game. Carlile would be the perfect match up for him.

Yeah, happy with this news. As I said in the OP I like their defense and he's a key part of that. Jones is still going to find it tough with Chaplin taking him and I guess Trengrove takes Cordy/Roughead assuming Roughead stays in the 22.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice work G-Mo.

As you say, Pearce has been in great form the past few games so we need to be mindful of him getting out in space. A few of their kids have also got the ability to hurt us, so I'm expecting a pretty tough game, but still one we should win.

G-Mo77
15-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Lobbe apparently has traveled over with the team. Could be a late inclusion.

stefoid
16-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Roberts first game! and Howard gets a game too.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Roberts first game! and Howard gets a game too.

Do you know something the rest of us don't? Roberts didn't make the cut. :(

stefoid
16-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Do you know something the rest of us don't? Roberts didn't make the cut. :(

Herald sun website led me astray - they have fixed it now though.

Ah well, Im sure hell get a go soon enough

Greystache
16-06-2012, 01:50 PM

I was glad to see him added to the squad, but I'm not unhappy he didn't make the team. He's shown quite a bit to this point, but unless his Williamstown form demands selection, I think a couple of games around round 18-22 would be a good outcome in his first year.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2012, 02:25 PM

It was listed on afl.com as well as another site.
So perhaps there was a team change dependent on Port's selection

Remi Moses
17-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Interested to see Alipate Carlisle dropped due to not meeting fitness requirements !
Politically correct way of saying he's fat!

Hotdog60
17-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Interested to see Alipate Carlisle dropped due to not meeting fitness requirements !

So that's my problem. Not meeting fitness requirements.:D

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 01:26 PM

Just staggers me these guys can hold onto their jobs when they can't even maintain fitness - they do it for a living!