PDA

View Full Version : Round 12 - Other Matches

Eastdog
14-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Discussion of all round 12 matches not including our one. Starts tonight with West Coast taking on Carlton.

bulldogsman
14-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Seems strange having a game on Thursday night when there's only 6 teams playing.

Carlton struggling.
Can hardly get the ball into the forward half.

EDIT: Just kicked 2 goals in a row

Remi Moses
14-06-2012, 09:53 PM
How are Carlton only 14 pts down?
West Coast dominating and Carlton can't get anything out of their best players.
They've got their goals out the back and look disfunctional

bulldogsman
14-06-2012, 10:22 PM
West Coast just keep kicking points. 1 point ball game, unbelievable.

SlimPickens
14-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Geez they(WCE) get the rub of the green with the umpires over there.

jeemak
14-06-2012, 11:08 PM
That 50 against Judd is up there with Brian Lake's penalty against Captain Flasher in the 2009 prelim.

I sometimes think we are subjected to the most stupid and unwatchable umpiring out of any sport on the planet. The umpires really get all of the crap they deserve given to them at the top level sometimes, especially due to their ability to pick out and penalise an insignificant incident (that has happened at least 50 times throughout the game unpenalised) at a significant moment in the game consistently.

They really don't help themselves, and I'm sick of the excuses that get made by the AFL for their chronic inconsistency on a weekly basis.

LostDoggy
14-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Geez they(WCE) get the rub of the green with the umpires over there.

Yes but Carlton are historical cheats so it evens out.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Dunno if anyone found it tough to watch, just seemed a lot of navy blue out there.

Sockeye Salmon
14-06-2012, 11:39 PM
That was painful to watch. I managed about 15 minutes.

jeemak
14-06-2012, 11:42 PM
TCD, the whole clash or not to clash situation baffles me. I haven't been to Subiaco before, though I've heard it's a lot more run down and old than it seems on TV, and some of the night matches on TV seem a lot dimmer than what they do at Etihad or the G.

bornadog
14-06-2012, 11:42 PM
That 50 against Judd is up there with Brian Lake's penalty against Captain Flasher in the 2009 prelim.

I sometimes think we are subjected to the most stupid and unwatchable umpiring out of any sport on the planet. The umpires really get all of the crap they deserve given to them at the top level sometimes, especially due to their ability to pick out and penalise an insignificant incident (that has happened at least 50 times throughout the game unpenalised) at a significant moment in the game consistently.

They really don't help themselves, and I'm sick of the excuses that get made by the AFL for their chronic inconsistency on a weekly basis.

Even so, I agree with you, but Judd showed no leadership in the whole incident. He let the WCE players stir him up and get to him. BTW, I thought the free to Cox was rubbish as well.

jeemak
15-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Even so, I agree with you, but Judd showed no leadership in the whole incident. He let the WCE players stir him up and get to him. BTW, I thought the free to Cox was rubbish as well.

Fair point, I suppose. I just don't like the aspect of the game where a player can get niggled and rammed all night and then get baited and penalised as a result for something so soft and inconsequential.

The umpires have no concept of context, or understanding of what's in the spirit of the game in those circumstances, and sometimes their choice to apply the rules on a technical level are out of step with how the contest is playing out.

We all understand the game would be silly if every little niggle, nudge or jab is punnished, so I find it really strange the umpires tend to find the most innopportune time to pay those sorts of free kicks or 50's.

Anyway, I think I've said my piece on the matter.

Remi Moses
15-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Carlton and Ratten doing their best to deflect attention from their Underachieving.
Fact is West Coast should have nailed this game by half time.
Interestingly heard Schofield interviewed after the game said Carlton's tactics of kicking into space in the forward 50 fell into their hands as they were allowed one player extra in their back 50. Jon Dorotich layed into Warnock saying he looked like Tarzan and played like Jane.

Remi Moses
15-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Dunno if anyone found it tough to watch, just seemed a lot of navy blue out there.

Couldn't believe Carlton didn't wear that powder blue number

jeemak
15-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Carlton and Ratten doing their best to deflect attention from their Underachieving.
Fact is West Coast should have nailed this game by half time.
Interestingly heard Schofield interviewed after the game said Carlton's tactics of kicking into space in the forward 50 fell into their hands as they were allowed one player extra in their back 50. Jon Dorotich layed into Warnock saying he looked like Tarzan and played like Jane.

Agree with this point.

I also think the AFL has given too much to Carlton on the back of a reasonable season last year, way too much exposure. I can't think of many Thursdays or Friday's where Carlton haven't been playing (maybe a bit over the top, but surely you take my point).

The Coon Dog
15-06-2012, 07:11 AM

You can't be serious bornadog, the free kick to Cox was correct as Judd's grab of the arm prevented him marking the ball.

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 08:30 AM
You can't be serious bornadog, the free kick to Cox was correct as Judd's grab of the arm prevented him marking the ball.

Agreed the free was there.
With the 50, I first thought Judd knocked Pridis in the head.

bornadog
15-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Ok, I missed that. It just that every time there is a marking contest seems like a free is paid and you just get sick of it. Chopping the arms is such a rubbish rule. Holding someone's arm, different story.

bornadog
15-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Fair point, I suppose. I just don't like the aspect of the game where a player can get niggled and rammed all night and then get baited and penalised as a result for something so soft and inconsequential.

The umpires have no concept of context, or understanding of what's in the spirit of the game in those circumstances, and sometimes their choice to apply the rules on a technical level are out of step with how the contest is playing out.

We all understand the game would be silly if every little niggle, nudge or jab is punnished, so I find it really strange the umpires tend to find the most innopportune time to pay those sorts of free kicks or 50's.

Anyway, I think I've said my piece on the matter.

Totally agree on this point. I have mentioned it before, the umpires don't seem to apply common sense. The incident with Judd had no effect on the general play, it was during time on when Cox hadn't even lined up for his shot.

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Best Point I think I've ever seen.
He is unbelievable, is there another Ruckman in the league that could pull that off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGZT2Chehk

(sorry forget how to embed it into the forum)

LostDoggy
15-06-2012, 05:11 PM
I smell a rat. I heard ads all week a sports betting agency having some sort of special on Judd getting less than 25 possessions.
Maybe Im jumping to conclusions, I bet we hear bugger all on it.
If a race horse performed so badly when highly fancied there would be an inquiry.

azabob
15-06-2012, 06:17 PM
He is unbelievable, is there another Ruckman in the league that could pull that off?

Thanks for posting. Insane, totally insane.

Remi Moses
15-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Meanwhile Carlton umpire moan has reached epic proportions:rolleyes:
Ratten banged on about the Eagles being "Flat" after the bye, then after the game he moans about Carlton's fixture ! It was almost like he had it rehearsed after the game, Think Ratts will be unemployed if they don't make the eight

Mantis
15-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Ok, I missed that. It just that every time there is a marking contest seems like a free is paid and you just get sick of it. Chopping the arms is such a rubbish rule. Holding someone's arm, different story.

But in essence isn't it the result the same?

Eastdog
15-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Looking to be a good game between the Crows and Saints. Saints came back in that 2nd quarter but at the moment the Crows have the edge.

Eastdog
15-06-2012, 11:45 PM
The Saints were hanging in there for a bit but now the Crows are in control and I expect them to win from here.

bornadog
16-06-2012, 12:09 AM
But in essence isn't it the result the same?

Not really. If two players are going for the ball, one trying to mark the ball, the other trying to spoil by punching but the defender in their action hits the arm of his opponent then why should they get punished? The holding the arm is preventing the opponent in even marking the ball at all and there is no intention to directly spoil. I know you are going to say the defender may look like he is trying to punch the ball but all along he is deliberately chopping arms. I say too bad.

Eastdog
16-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Saints came at them at the end but the Crows hold on winning by 4 points. I think the Crows are now in 2nd position on the ladder.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2012, 12:36 AM
I smell a rat. I heard ads all week a sports betting agency having some sort of special on Judd getting less than 25 possessions.
Maybe Im jumping to conclusions, I bet we hear bugger all on it.
If a race horse performed so badly when highly fancied there would be an inquiry.

I think they were perfectly aware that Judd was carrying an injury.

Remi Moses
16-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Looks like Capt Colapse has an injury of some sort.
Crows held Them at arms length for most of the night, Stkilda's lack of a key back is hurting.
Reckon the Saints might finish around 9th region( No mans land)

Mantis
16-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Not really. If two players are going for the ball, one trying to mark the ball, the other trying to spoil by punching but the defender in their action hits the arm of his opponent then why should they get punished? The holding the arm is preventing the opponent in even marking the ball at all and there is no intention to directly spoil. I know you are going to say the defender may look like he is trying to punch the ball but all along he is deliberately chopping arms. I say too bad.

The end result is that either by holding or chopping the marking player isn't being allowed to mark the ball using both hands... And the prime objection should be to allow the attacking player every opportunity to win the ball.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2012, 08:45 AM
The end result is that either by holding or chopping the marking player isn't being allowed to mark the ball using both hands... And the prime objection should be to allow the attacking player every opportunity to win the ball.

The end result is it is almost impossible to spoil someone taller than you. Heading towards 7 footers like in basketball.

westdog54
16-06-2012, 08:46 AM

The difference should lie in the end result, as it does in Soccer. If you get the ball with the spoil then there's no free. That doesn't happen. If you get nowhere near the ball but still take the arms out IMO that should be a free, I don't see it as being any different to pushing your opponent out or holding his arm.

Just as an aside thanks to Eastdog for starting these threads every week. Generating some good discussion of late.

Mantis
16-06-2012, 08:50 AM
The end result is it is almost impossible to spoil someone taller than you. Heading towards 7 footers like in basketball.

Lucky we have Cordy & Roughead then.

I understand your point, but the free Judd gave away was a blatant chop/ drag of the arm and this type of disgression should be picked up and punished every time.

jeemak
16-06-2012, 12:08 PM

He is unbelievable, I shudder to think how good he can be.

Though, I must say I don't think I've ever seen so many highlights of a player doing average things. Channel 7 continually show highlights of him jumping high, tapping the ball to nobody and missing targets athletically.

Imagine how the hype will be when he actually starts converting on his athleticism. It will be pretty good to watch.

jeemak
16-06-2012, 12:13 PM
The difference should lie in the end result, as it does in Soccer. If you get the ball with the spoil then there's no free. That doesn't happen. If you get nowhere near the ball but still take the arms out IMO that should be a free, I don't see it as being any different to pushing your opponent out or holding his arm.

Just as an aside thanks to Eastdog for starting these threads every week. Generating some good discussion of late.

Agreed. Good work Eastdog.

I think holding and dragging are distinct from hitting, and should be punished accordingly. A genuine attempt to spoil might result in an arm being hit, that's football, and good players are strong enough to cope with it.

bornadog
16-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I think holding and dragging are distinct from hitting, and should be punished accordingly. A genuine attempt to spoil might result in an arm being hit, that's football, and good players are strong enough to cope with it.

That is what I am saying, yet hitting the arms is a free kick.

westdog54
16-06-2012, 04:23 PM
That is what I am saying, yet hitting the arms is a free kick.

And it shouldn't be provided that you get the ball IMO. If you don't, whether or not you were intending to legitimately spoil, I believe you are unfairly impeding the player trying to take a mark.

Remi Moses
16-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Just listening to a very impressive GWS.
Cameron and Patton are going to cause major major headaches.
Incredible contrast to the other New Franchise, they're harder and tougher than the Suns.
Ward seemed to have a quiet one, but got a few in the last.
That compensation we got compared to Melb is outrageous, to say the least:mad:

westdog54
16-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Just listening to a very impressive GWS.
Cameron and Patton are going to cause major major headaches.
Incredible contrast to the other New Franchise, they're harder and tougher than the Suns.
Ward seemed to have a quiet one, but got a few in the last.
That compensation we got compared to Melb is outrageous, to say the least:mad:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Melbourne got ridiculous overs. Scully is not worth the same as Gary Ablett and neither is Ward. They should have received the same as us.

Eastdog
16-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the compliment jeemak and westdog54. Gold Coast v North match looks pretty poor and not much atmosphere. North I would say should win. Gold Coast have been terrible this season.

Remi Moses
16-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Watching the GC game.
Top game of circle work

Eastdog
16-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Gold Coast hanging in there. They are a real chance.

Eastdog
16-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Thriller on our hands.

westdog54
16-06-2012, 11:22 PM
North have dodged a bullet. Over the line by 7 points despite awful conversion in front of goal.

Ablett another 40 touch game but has no support.

Eastdog
16-06-2012, 11:25 PM
North have dodged a bullet. Over the line by 7 points despite awful conversion in front of goal.

Both sides to me looked second rate. North had a lot of chances.

Mantis
16-06-2012, 11:26 PM

He has some support, but not enough across the board to get them over the line.

Eastdog
16-06-2012, 11:30 PM
What did people think of tonight Fox Footy coverage.

chef
17-06-2012, 10:18 AM
What did people think of tonight Fox Footy coverage.

Dermot is a horrible commentator.

Mantis
17-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Interesting that the 3rd game of the weekend has the favoured team dominating general play, but thru bad goal kicking are leaving the door open for their opponent... (As I say that Buddy kicks another goal to stretch the margain)

We must kick straight later today.

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Big win for the Hawthorn at a wet MCG over the Brisbane Lions.