PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2012 - R12 Western Bulldogs vs Pt Adelaide

BulldogBelle
15-06-2012, 05:28 PM
This is the discussion thread for our Sunday twilight game against Pt Adelaide at ES.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 32 points
BOG : Matty Boyd
Shaun Higgins to kick the first goal.

Ozza
15-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Dogs by 15 points
Boyd BOG
Cooney to kick the first goal.

Greystache
15-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Dogs by 22
BOG- Minson
First goal- Jones

SlimPickens
15-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Dogs by 17pts
BOG Griffen
First Goal Dahl

westdog54
16-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Dogs by 35.
Picken to bob up for the first goal (I love a long shot)
Wallis BOG (See above)

bornadog
16-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Dogs by 25

BOG Griffen

First Goal - Gia

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Dogs by 21 pts
BOG: Ryan Griffen
First Goal: Liam Jones

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Dogs by 27 points
BOG Boyd
1st goal: Dahlhaus

anfo27
17-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Smith in Hargrave out

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I know it's early but I have never seen a crowd this small.

Dogs by 9 points.

westdog54
17-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Smith in Hargrave out

My supercoach team thanks the coaching staff for their assistance.

LostDoggy
17-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Dogs by 27 points
First goal = Dahlhous
BOG = Boyd

F'scary
17-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Smith in Hargrave out

Great. That's all we need.:(

EasternWest
17-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Are there three Dahlhaus' out there?

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Very good first qtr from us. We really were on top. Maybe should be ahead by more.

bornadog
17-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Should have more goals on the board , wasted the quarter

Mantis
17-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Haven't made the most of our domination of general play & inside 50's. Need to be more efficient going forward.

Port haven't looked dangerous at all.

chef
We really need a couple of quick small crumbing forwards if we are going to be so tall.

Eastdog
Should have more goals on the board , wasted the quarter

True. Our intent has been very good but we have been wasteful in front of goal.

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Dropped marks were disappointing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, intensity is up, and ball use around the ground very good.
Loved Howard, Wood and Murphy's efforts out of the back half. Libba, Griff have been good in the middle.
Roughy needs to do more, and Jones, Cordy could've taken a couple more marks deep in the forward line, had they positioned themselve's in front of their opponents.
Good signs, just need to maintain the effort, and simply find a way to make and take opportunities inside 50

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Dropped marks were disappointing.

Apart from Roughy fluffing a sitter, I thought the dropped marks inside 50 were the result of inexperience from Cordy and Jones - not positioning themselves better against their opponent's. Need to get in front more often and not try to take marks from behind.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Nice response from Roughy, beautiful spin and snap for a goal! Needed it too

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Great body work from Cordy to take that mark... But as is the norm with our tall's fails to finish off from a very gettable shot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Port definitely on top. They're cleaner at the contest and are spreading alot better, and are now creating and mostly taking their opportunities.
On the flipside, we are not moving the ball with anywhere near the confidence, or precision as we did in the first quarter and when you couple that with our well known scoring deficiencies it's a concern.

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Port come at us in that the 2nd qtr but we held our nerve and still lead. Boyd, Murphy have been good and the future of the forward line looks alright. The kicking at goal has been the obvious let down.

Hotdog60
17-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Port come at us in that the 2nd qtr but we held our nerve and still lead. Boyd, Murphy have been good and the future of the forward line looks alright. The kicking at goal has been the obvious let down.

If they don't start converting those opportunities it won't be that bright.;)

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Goal kicking concerns again. It can't be this hard given the conditions we play in.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Goal kicking concerns again. It can't be this hard given the conditions we play in.

Its the most frustrating thing about our list for mine. We have gathered alot of talls in recent years, Roughy, Grant, Cordy, Jones. All of them have some elite marking attributes, but they all have serious flaws with their goalkicking, that really causes me concern going forward as it is the one area that players don't seem to be able to improve through experience or remedial action.
I can't think of any key forwards who having started out with a terrible kicking action were able to become reliable shots over the remainder of their career.

LostDoggy
17-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Frustrating.

Even though Ports ruckmen have seemed non-existent, Minson hasn't exactly set the world on fire as yet. Would like to see him work alot harder and start presenting around the ground more.

Dog54
17-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Agree week in week out roughed Cordy and jones do not take opportunities.

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Once again doing well in winning the contested possessions but our inaccuracy is a concern. Port still in there.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Its the most frustrating thing about our list for mine. We have gathered alot of talls in recent years, Roughy, Grant, Cordy, Jones. All of them have some elite marking attributes, but they all have serious flaws with their goalkicking, that really causes me concern going forward as it is the one area that players don't seem to be able to improve through experience or remedial action.
I can't think of any key forwards who having started out with a terrible kicking action were able to become reliable shots over the remainder of their career.

Stewart Lowe was a suspect kick initially but improved as his career took off.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Stewart Lowe was a suspect kick initially but improved as his career took off.

There's one, and even then I'd argue (and I know my best mate who's a Saint's tragic thinks so too) he was still a fairly inconsistent and unreliable goalkicker. Awesome mark, but still very suspect by foot.

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 09:05 PM
What did everyone think of Dickson's Waqar Younis goal? It's swerved unbelievably.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 09:11 PM
What did everyone think of Dickson's Waqar Younis goal? It's swerved unbelievably.

Yep, he had the reverse swing working a beauty didn't he. Fooled his teammates and young Port ruckman Redden who even up til the last second thought it was going through for a point.

Dickson was certainly having a laugh about it to his oppontent Logan afterwards, though Logan didn't want to know about it.

ledge
17-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Gee i love Clay Smith, played for all of 10 min but just goes in again and again

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Gee i love Clay Smith, played for all of 10 min but just goes in again and again

His an exciting player as well as Dickson who I thought was very good today kicking 4 goals. Our kicking at goal still is a concern but we still won comfortably and could of won by more if we had of converted. All in all good day for us.

SlimPickens
17-06-2012, 09:17 PM

His repeat efforts are exemplary.

Remi Moses
17-06-2012, 09:20 PM

It's excruciating watching .Look away now stuff
Reckon Cordy's the best as a forward option, maybe Panos might get a gig.
Roughy 's a ruckman who can go forward, just looks like Macca's putting out a challenge to see who wants the big forward gig

bornadog
17-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Just looks like Macca's putting out a challenge to see who wants the big forward gig

He admitted that some weeks ago. He said eventually it will settle down as the right player will grab their opportunity.

Topdog
17-06-2012, 09:45 PM
It is a real concern as Jones and Cordy both do enough to excite me and then hang my head in my hands. Hopefully they can improve their kicking.

azabob
17-06-2012, 09:46 PM
It's excruciating watching .Look away now stuff
Reckon Cordy's the best as a forward option, maybe Panos might get a gig.
Roughy 's a ruckman who can go forward, just looks like Macca's putting out a challenge to see who wants the big forward gig

He admitted that some weeks ago. He said eventually it will settle down as the right player will grab their opportunity.

I'm not sure Panos will get a look in now with Cordy and Roughead starting to take marks.

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure Panos will get a look in now with Cordy and Roughead starting to take marks.

It would be good to see Panos get a game this year to see how he goes at AFL level.

Greystache
17-06-2012, 09:58 PM

He kicked 4 today and got in the bests for Williamstown, I'd be inclined to play him next week in front of Jones.

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 10:00 PM
He kicked 4 today and got in the bests for Williamstown, I'd be inclined to play him next week in front of Jones.

I think you are a bit harsh on Jones. I thought he was quite good today and I wouldn't be making a Panos for Jones change just yet.

LostDoggy
17-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Looking forward to Cordy rag dolling many more players in the future!

Ghost Dog
17-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I think you are a bit harsh on Jones. I thought he was quite good today and I wouldn't be making a Panos for Jones change just yet.

Agree. Jones was electric today in terms of his pace. Is that much faster than other players. Dash to the boundary in the 3rd a prime example.

A long hard think about it on the way home from the game. Such an even contribution today. Thought there were no real standouts by a country mile and everyone got a touch or played a role.

Greystache
17-06-2012, 10:12 PM

He took a couple of good marks, but too often he wouldn't lead when there was space in front of him forcing us to bomb the ball in. He also ran under the flight of the ball too many times.

Cordy is playing well and I think we need to see what Panos can offer us at AFL level.

azabob
17-06-2012, 10:13 PM

If Panos was to play how would you set the forward line up? Does Panos have the agility / pace to lead up across the half forward line?

Greystache
17-06-2012, 10:15 PM
If Panos was to play how would you set the forward line up? Does Panos have the agility / pace to lead up across the half forward line?

I think so. I would have him playing the role Jones was today, a mix of deep and high forward.

SlimPickens
17-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Was interested to see that Ayce didn't have a hit out today. Didn't notice him in the centre bounce at all either.

Makes me wonder why it is necessary for him to wear a shin guard on his right leg, surely this has an affect on his kicking and lets face it anything that could help his kicking for goal would be good.

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Was interested to see that Ayce didn't have a hit out today. Didn't notice him in the centre bounce at all either.

Makes me wonder why it is necessary for him to wear a shin guard on his right leg, surely this has an affect on his kicking and lets face it anything that could help his kicking for goal would be good.

Well if he is not going to play in the ruck role then yes he should take it off. Minson is playing that role this year and I think overall has had a ok year. It's good to have some falls in our side as in previous years we weren't big on the tall department.

SonofScray
17-06-2012, 11:13 PM
A good result with a few really positive aspects punctuated by a few growing concerns.

Between Jones, Roughead, Cordy and Grant, we are going to get one gun key forward. Looks like Cordy could be it, but Roughie is showing a bit as well which is great. Jones can play, he is a strong grab and keeps his feet to remain an influence at the contest. Not a big bag of tricks but he is doing well in my books.

Conversion is still an issue. Mac thinks it will take care of itself but I'm not so sure, it will cost us again and again. Eventually in a big game down the track. I want to see improvement.

Crowd was a worry. Size was poor even for a Port game on a Sunday arvo. On a plus side, my luchador mask arrived and El Scraggo made an appearance.

Mantis
17-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Crowd was a worry. Size was poor even for a Port game on a Sunday arvo. On a plus side, my luchador mask arrived and El Scraggo made an appearance.

Really?

4.40 on a Sunday is a disgusting timeslot to go the footy.... Especially against a low drawing interstate team.

SonofScray
17-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Really?

4.40 on a Sunday is a disgusting timeslot to go the footy.... Especially against a low drawing interstate team.

Agree, but 16k is very low regardless. I would've thought 18.5k was a pass mark for our fans in this instance. Anything less raises eyebrows, looks terrible and is a poor reflection on our support.

Eastdog
17-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Really?

Agree Mantis. There is no reason why the could not have started this match at 2:10pm today. If it was at this time we may well have gotten around 25,000. This 4:40pm timeslot suites the broadcasting but not the supporters.

bornadog
17-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Jones did a lot of small things today, like tapping the ball to team mates etc. I thought he worked hard all game, and with the type of delivery into the forward line it was not easy for him. At one stage the ball was bombed in and four of our big guys flew for it (Jones, Roughie, Cordy and Minson)

I wouldn't be elevating Panos yet.

Remi Moses
17-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Agree, but 16k is very low regardless. I would've thought 18.5k was a pass mark for our fans in this instance. Anything less raises eyebrows, looks terrible and is a poor reflection on our support.

Probably thought we would have got 20.
Saying that the timeslot is diabolical from a family perspective.
Don't take my kids to these games, have to laugh at the vendor in the FP Latrobe st end.
Advertised as "Healthier" foods virtually a concession that the rest the caterers serve up is bloody awful.:eek:

Scraggers
18-06-2012, 12:10 AM

I love Jones' ability to take a 'one-grabber' pack mark ... He is worth the effort. The future is bright.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2012, 12:43 AM
I reckon Jones could be a star CHB

Eastdog
18-06-2012, 12:47 AM

He is I believe more suited to that role not playing to close to goal. He as we all know is a great contested mark and if he gets his kicking at goal right he can be a very good player for us.

GVGjr
18-06-2012, 01:15 AM

Much like a Chris Grant? I've suggested this move a couple of times and there was very little support.

Eastdog
18-06-2012, 01:23 AM
My mistake I was thinking of CHF not CHB in my post. Do you think though he could be good at CHB? Grant later on in his career played there when he came back from the knee injury but prior to that played full forward. Jones is still early in his career.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Much like a Chris Grant? I've suggested this move a couple of times and there was very little support.

Add my support. He attacked the ball tonight like a man possessed. Charged straight into packs, and boy did he chase hard. What a bonus to have that energy off HB. Good suggestion. We do need more run down there.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2012, 02:00 AM
How about the ridiculous holding the ball decision on Cooney?
He had half his body out of the pack, not a single hand on the ball, it was being held against him, and pinged for it. Shocking

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2012, 02:02 AM

I think there's one massive difference between the two, and it is a crucial one for being a CHB. It's the ability to read the play/flight of the ball -- it's Jones' biggest weakness IMO.

I'd persist with him as a forward, he showed some good signs today.

Hotdog60
18-06-2012, 06:33 AM

We may get a swap between Williams and Jones if Williams asking to go forward happens.

Mantis
18-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Grant was an absolute elite field kick which allowed him to be an attacking weapon when in defence.

Jones isn't.

Sedat
18-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Grant was an absolute elite field kick which allowed him to be an attacking weapon when in defence.

Jones isn't.
Agreed. Granty's field kicking was top 1% elite in the competition.

I certainly like our forward structure a lot better when Jones is playing higher up the ground leaving Cordy/Roughead deeper - Jones can utilise his terrific workrate in such a role and will rarely, if ever, get beaten in the air, bringing the likes of Dickson, Higgins and Gia more into the game.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2012, 10:27 AM
My mistake I was thinking of CHF not CHB in my post. Do you think though he could be good at CHB? Grant later on in his career played there when he came back from the knee injury but prior to that played full forward. Jones is still early in his career.

Grant played CHB in 96, won the B & F and went within a Steve Kretiuk mis-kick of a Brownlow.

SlimPickens
18-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I certainly like our forward structure a lot better when Jones is playing higher up the ground leaving Cordy/Roughead deeper - Jones can utilise his terrific workrate in such a role and will rarely, if ever, get beaten in the air, bringing the likes of Dickson, Higgins and Gia more into the game.

Agree with this. I like the idea of Jones playing lead up across half forward, I reckon he is generally a pretty smart kick into the forward line and can hit a leading forward (prime example his kick to Gia yesterday).

I couldn't fault his aggression at the contest yesterday, his defensive pressure or his ground work.

If Cordy can stand up at full forward and jones at CHF I can see our forward line being very effective in the not to distant future.

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 11:14 AM

And Peter Foster. He was recruited as a CHF but didnt find a spot until he went to CHB and became a star. He ended up representing the big V as a CHB and a CHF-I think Laurie Nash is the only other player to do that.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Agreed. Granty's field kicking was top 1% elite in the competition.

That's an understatement. There was an 18-month period where Granty's field kicking was No.1 in the competition, bar none. Every single kick he took into the forward 50 had commentators and fans drooling.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Jones isn't.

This is very true, but Granty is a player-of-the-century type freak, not a yardstick. When discussing SS's suggestion, Jones should be compared to the average CHB, and most of these guys aren't elite kicks.

Bulldog4life
18-06-2012, 12:26 PM
And Peter Foster. He was recruited as a CHF but didnt find a spot until he went to CHB and became a star. He ended up representing the big V as a CHB and a CHF-I think Laurie Nash is the only other player to do that.

I think you could be right Td. Became a great swing man for us.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 12:39 PM

I'm not convinced, but would like to see it tried.

Atleast he wouldn't run underneath the ball, well if he did it means his opponent did also!

Hot_Doggies
18-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not convinced, but would like to see it tried.

Atleast he wouldn't run underneath the ball, well if he did it means his opponent did also!

In 2 years, when he is bigger and stronger, he won't run under the ball.

He will have the strength and smarts to slow down, check his opponents run, then attack the ball.

jeemak
18-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I think so. I would have him playing the role Jones was today, a mix of deep and high forward.

I don't like dropping a player after one game of being in the side after a spell, so coupled with his effort and the game's result I think he should stay in.

I'd also like Panos to put together another solid forward effort. If he does, and Jones doesn't take a step up then I think we do as you've mentioned above.

neddie
18-06-2012, 03:17 PM

He will have the strength and smarts to slow down, check his opponents run, then attack the ball.

His strong point is his marking ,put him anywhere except the foward lines,he is not a goal kicker at present,maybe in time.

Maddog37
18-06-2012, 05:39 PM

I agree with this post but a go at CHB would also help his development long term. Ben Reid couldn't kick goals to save himself and now he is a beautiful field kick.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree with this post but a go at CHB would also help his development long term. Ben Reid couldn't kick goals to save himself and now he is a beautiful field kick.

He would have to play at Willi first before we throw him into the CHB role.

SonofScray
18-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I think we should resist the urge to throw Jones back. He is doing some things well, others poorly, on any given week. The pay off for us is much greater if he puts it all together as a forward.

chef
18-06-2012, 06:31 PM

It was more his goal kicking that was shocking, once they chucked him down the other end he blossomed.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 06:34 PM

I think sometimes players close to goal try to steer the ball threw and they miss kick it. Ayce marked the ball around the 50 metre mark and his kicking action changed and he kicked through the ball and thumped it straight - for a nice goal. Earlier he was trying to steer it through from 30metres out and missed.

choconmientay
18-06-2012, 11:15 PM
We went along to the tribute game for Charlie Sutton. I took my new toy with me and snapped away some pictures. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelaxong/7393459924/in/set-72157630175029104/lightbox/) Enjoy.

jeemak
18-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Some nice pics there. Thanks for posting.

Greystache
18-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Great stuff Choc, thanks for posting.