PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs push for Templeton fame

bornadog
17-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Jake Niall June 17, 2012 (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-push-for-templeton-fame-20120616-20h4w.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-svKELVIN-420x0.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs are pushing for one of football's forgotten stars, century goalkicker and Brownlow medallist, Kelvin Templeton, to be included in the AFL Hall of Fame ''sooner rather than later''.
Templeton is one of only four players to have won both the Brownlow and the Coleman medals - others are Tony Lockett, Malcolm Blight and Bernie Quinlan, with Collingwood's Des Fothergill winning the goalkicking (pre-Coleman medal) and Brownlow.

But he is the only one of that group who has been overlooked by the Hall of Fame. Templeton finished up as a player at Melbourne in 1986, having crossed from Footscray in a deal that saw him and Collingwood's Peter Moore join the Demons on huge contracts.

While Templeton has been nominated by the Dogs, he has not had his case pushed strongly in public forums and is not as closely identified with the club as other players who spent their entire careers at Footscray/Western Bulldogs. Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said yesterday the club would be ''strong advocates'' for Templeton's elevation to the Hall of Fame.

''We obviously would be strong advocates for Kelvin's elevation,'' he said.
''We're sure it will happen at some stage, given he's one of the rare players who've won both the Brownlow and the Coleman and was a phenomenal player for our football club.
''We'd be keen for that to be sooner rather than later.''
Garlick said Templeton was in the club's own Hall of Fame.
Templeton, who served as chief executive of the Sydney Swans, has been attending Bulldogs games regularly this year.

Today, Templeton is expected to join several past best and fairest winners in forming a guard of honour for the late Charlie Sutton.
Ex-Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace, who upset the administration when he walked out of the club in 2002, will be among the former best and fairest winners who will be part of the line honouring Sutton at today's game against Port Adelaide.
In Sunday Age opinion, I assess why some players seemingly worthy of Hall of Fame inclusion have yet to be admitted.
''The politics of it does get in the way,'' Wallace says.
He added that once he had left Hawthorn, the chances of him later making that club's team of the century (2001) ''was virtually zero''.

bornadog
17-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Once more a Bulldogs player is last to enter the Hall of Fame when others with equal achievements have before him.

Templeton was one of my favourite players and its great to see he is still a Doggies fan (attending matches etc).

Jeanette54
17-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I stilll remember THAT game ....... most have to be satified with 15 minutes of fame (if they are lucky). For Kelvin it was 15 goals of fame !!!! ;)

bornadog
17-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I stilll remember THAT game ....... most have to be satified with 15 minutes of fame (if they are lucky). For Kelvin it was 15 goals of fame !!!! ;)

I was there that day, what a match. Here are some memories for you

383PM8xwR0g

Amazing scenes when Templeton took a screamer to kick his 15th. Kids on the ground, the coach on the ground and the game hadn't finished.

Twodogs
17-06-2012, 07:42 PM
What year did Des Fothergill win the VFL goalkincking?

Strongly supprt KT's entry into the AFL Hall Of Fame. It's a joke that he isnt in it already. He was twice the player than many of the players who are there. He was a champion who was overlooked far too quickly.

Sockeye Salmon
17-06-2012, 09:46 PM
What year did Des Fothergill win the VFL goalkincking?

Strongly supprt KT's entry into the AFL Hall Of Fame. It's a joke that he isnt in it already. He was twice the player than many of the players who are there. He was a champion who was overlooked far too quickly.

If only KT could reach the lofty heights of Mark Bickley!

Throughandthrough
18-06-2012, 12:34 AM
My first ever favourite player!

Ghost Dog
18-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Cordy reminds me of KT.

Remi Moses
18-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Can't believe he is not in
Never forget being a devastated 13 y/o when I'd heard he did his knee.
Nearly as devastated in not going to that memorable 1978 day:(

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 10:18 AM
If only KT could reach the lofty heights of Mark Bickley!

Or Graeme Cornes. Maybe KT's mistake was being born too soon and not playing for an interstate club.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Or Graeme Cornes. Maybe KT's mistake was being born too soon and not playing for an interstate club.

KT's mistake is not having the SA mafia pushing your case. Apologies for the disrespect and the mixed metaphor, but Cornes is not half the player KT's shoelaces are.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes he is. But no more than half

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Cordy reminds me of KT.

I can see what you mean. The post '81 version of KT. The more muscular and somehow taller looking KT. He looks and kicks like Linsday (I have no idea why we called KT Lindsay, but we did. I asked a mate once and he said that he looked like he should be called Lindsay).

Yes he is. But no more than half

Of ONE bootlace!!!

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:18 PM
And FWIW;

Leading Goalkicker Medal

Awarded prior to 1955 to the scorer of most goals in the home and away season.

1946 Des Fothergill Collingwood 63

From; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_Goalkicker_Medal#Leading_Goalkicker_Medal

Although he was overtaken by Bill Brittingham during the finals. So Fothergill doesnt technicallly have a 'Coleman' medal because he played before Coleman did but he was the VFL leading goalkicker in 1946 even though he didnt kick the most goals in that season.

I'm imaganing a Brad Johnson type?

Throughandthrough
18-06-2012, 10:51 PM
KT's mistake is not having the SA mafia pushing your case. Apologies for the disrespect and the mixed metaphor, but Cornes is not half the player KT's shoelaces are.

Ignorant comment.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Ignorant comment.

Articulate opinion right there. Lighten up princess.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Articulate opinion right there. Lighten up princess.

Take some time to open your other eye and look at Cornes achievements as a player and a Coach.

Desipura
19-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Take some time to open your other eye and look at Cornes achievements as a player and a Coach.
Main achievements were in SANFL not as a VFL player. If Templeton had played more games, he would be talked about as one of the great centre half forwards, up there with Carey and Royce Hart

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 11:28 AM

His achievements stack up alongside players such as Harold Martin of Preston.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Guys, not for a SECOND suggesting Templeton shouldn't be in there, i was one of the first posters in this thread agreeing.

But to suggest Cornes shouldn't be shows a serious lack of research or sense of understanding.

It isn't just an AFL players/coaches/administrators only hall of fame. (Look at Peter Carey from Glenelg, he was inducted last year and never played VFL/AFL)

Footy is played in other competitions as well.

#rantover

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Guys, not for a SECOND suggesting Templeton shouldn't be in there, i was one of the first posters in this thread agreeing.

But to suggest Cornes shouldn't be shows a serious lack of research or sense of understanding.

It isn't just an AFL players/coaches/administrators only hall of fame. (Look at Peter Carey from Glenelg, he was inducted last year and never played VFL/AFL)

Footy is played in other competitions as well.

#rantover

Then why don't VFA champions get in?

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Then why don't VFA champions get in?

Are you sure they dont?

There's some people who have got in for umpteen years service to country footy leagues, etc.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Are you sure they dont?

There's some people who have got in for umpteen years service to country footy leagues, etc.

No they don't. No-one has ever been inducted for service to country leagues, player or administrator.

No player has ever been inducted for being a VFA player - not even Fred Cook or Ron Todd. The closest anyone has come is Port Melbourne's Frank Johnson but even Johnson won a B & F at South Melbourne.

Cornes becomes the 15th South Australian to make the hall of fame with little or no VFL/AFL exposure. Another 9 Western Australians are there and one Tasmanian.

They are all only there for political reasons and have no right.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 03:13 PM
No they don't. No-one has ever been inducted for service to country leagues, player or administrator.

No player has ever been inducted for being a VFA player - not even Fred Cook or Ron Todd. The closest anyone has come is Port Melbourne's Frank Johnson but even Johnson won a B & F at South Melbourne.

Cornes becomes the 15th South Australian to make the hall of fame with little or no VFL/AFL exposure. Another 9 Western Australians are there and one Tasmanian.

They are all only there for political reasons and have no right.

Sigh.

Selection criteria committee considers candidates on the basis of their ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character. While the number of games played, coached or umpired, or years of service in the case of administrators and media representatives, is a consideration, it alone does not determine eligibility. Players must be retired from the game for at least three years before they become eligible for induction, while coaches, umpires, administrators and media representatives are eligible immediately upon retirement. The committee considers candidates from all the states and territories of Australia and from all Australian Football competitions within Australia.

The following excerpt from the official Hall of Fame website highlights the main criteria used by the committee in selecting inductees to the Hall of Fame:

The Committee shall consider a candidate's outstanding service and overall contribution to the game of Australian Football in determining a candidate's eligibility for induction into the Hall of Fame.
Without limiting clause 5.1, the Committee may consider a candidate's individual record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character.
The number of football games played, coached or umpired or the years of service provided shall only be a consideration and shall not be determinative in assessing a candidate's eligibility.
A player, coach, umpire, administrator or media representative involved at any level of Australian Football may be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame.Candidates shall be adjudged on the basis of their overall contribution to Australian Football, as opposed to one specific aspect.

As i said, this isnt an AFL HOF, it's an Australian Football HOF

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Sigh.

As i said, this isnt an AFL HOF, it's an Australian Football HOF

Yet no-one from any country football league or the VFL/VFA has ever made it in.

Guys who dominate lesser leagues aren't Hall of Famers - they're potential 1st round draft picks, and those advocating their inclusion are no different to the rest of us on the internet, certain that this year's 1st round pick is going to be the next Wayne Carey. The reality is he could just as easily be the next Tim Walsh.

Would Cornes have been Carey or Walsh? We don't know because he came too late, that makes him nothing more than one more Coodabeen, and every bush club in the country have those.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Yet no-one from any country football league or the VFL/VFA has ever made it in.

Guys who dominate lesser leagues aren't Hall of Famers - they're potential 1st round draft picks, and those advocating their inclusion are no different to the rest of us on the internet, certain that this year's 1st round pick is going to be the next Wayne Carey. The reality is he could just as easily be the next Tim Walsh.

Would Cornes have been Carey or Walsh? We don't know because he came too late, that makes him nothing more than one more Coodabeen, and every bush club in the country have those.

you missed the whole point. It doesn't matter if he played AFL/VFL or not. He was an absolute champion player and coach in the league he was in. And there wasn't an AFL draft at that time either. In the 70's and the 80's the SANFL was very strong. And Cornes was an All Australian and the 1980 Tassie Medallist.

Have a look at Ken Farmer and/or Peter Carey and tell me they arent worthy. If you dont think so, you are saying that the AA needs to be renamed to something else.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 08:25 PM
you missed the whole point. It doesn't matter if he played AFL/VFL or not. He was an absolute champion player and coach in the league he was in. And there wasn't an AFL draft at that time either. In the 70's and the 80's the SANFL was very strong. And Cornes was an All Australian and the 1980 Tassie Medallist.

Have a look at Ken Farmer and/or Peter Carey and tell me they arent worthy. If you dont think so, you are saying that the AA needs to be renamed to something else.

Ken Farmer's record is no better than Fred Cook's or Ron Todd's (actually Todd's is about 100 times better but whatever) but they don't get in because no-one cried like a schoolgirl until they were.

Ron Best kicked 1600 goals in the Bendigo league (including the ton 13 times) - I doubt there's ever been a more dominant figure in country football but he didn't get in.

Fred Cook was a wonderful footballer in the league he was in. Ken Farmer was a wonderful footballer in the league he was in. So was Ron Best. None deserve to be in the Hall of Fame because they were just big fish in small ponds. Just like 100's of dominate players in 100's of leagues all over the country.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Silly arguement. I fully respect your right to have an opinion, but i dont get it. The match doesnt finish and end just at the VFL/AFL. Yes its the pinnacle but it thrives all around Australia. Not just the biggest 18 clubs.

Why are you saying that ONLY people who starred in one particular branch of an Aussie Sport can be famous and lauded for their achievements?

ps yes I have seen Cornes and Templeton play.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 09:03 PM
PS just to lighten the mood of this, I am having a similar but obtuse areguement on another forum with a South Australian Glenelg Fan who thinks Cornesy (and Carey) should have been inducted years ago, but doesnt think Chris Grant is as worth as Studley Cornes.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 09:39 PM
PS just to lighten the mood of this, I am having a similar but obtuse areguement on another forum with a South Australian Glenelg Fan who thinks Cornesy (and Carey) should have been inducted years ago, but doesnt think Chris Grant is as worth as Studley Cornes.

Then he's stupid and you shouldn't bother arguing with him.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 09:52 PM
But his arguement isnt any more convincing then yours....... :)

Ghost Dog
19-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Studley, Chad. Some charming names in the Cornes clan!