PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 12

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 02:12 PM
This Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread enters round 12. Once the game against the Port Power is concluded please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

LostDoggy
17-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Suggest referencing the Charlie Sutton Memorial Thread before getting stuck into players post game here. Some interesting points re the great mans attitude towards players. Maybe we can just do a Banker thread this week. Just a thought.

LongWait
17-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Suggest referencing the Charlie Sutton Memorial Thread before getting stuck into players post game here. Some interesting points re the great mans attitude towards players. Maybe we can just do a Banker thread this week. Just a thought.

Damn you Superdog: I was going to get in early and pot Gia and Higgins....

LostDoggy
17-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Did one of our players run over Nicholls dog? Seriously - this idiot just kills us! ANCHOR

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Bankers
Murphy for his poise out of defence.
Wallis for taking another step forward.
Cordy for showing that he can be part of this side going forward

Anchors
Dropped marks in the forward lines (ones that should have been taken)
Missed shots on goal - McCartney must get this fixed asap.
Our supporters - A poor attendance especially given the tribute for Charlie Sutton

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Bankers

Howard- arguably his most influential performance
Austin- just an all round sound performance and is becoming a very honest, consistent performer.

Anchors
Goalkicking

bornadog
17-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Bankers

* Murphy showed when you get the ball, you can hit a target. Great game off the backline.

* Lake - 15 marks, he is "The General"

* Dickson - Didn't give him votes but his 4 goals from a HF were just what we needed.

Anchors

* The obvious one - kicking at goal, wasted opportunities.

* Delivery into the forward line, time and time again we just banged it in.

* as GVGjr said, the supporters, just pathetic.:mad:

SlimPickens
17-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Banker

Mitch Wallis- love what this kid is bringing to the table at the moment.

Tory Dickson- Good performance by Tory, thought his defensive efforts were very good and his goal kicking also good

Ayce Cordy- some very strong marks, hopefully will gain a lot of confidence after that performance.

Anchor
Crowd- very disappointing

Forward entries- please stop putting it on our forwards heads but also forwards some of the non leads was very frustrating.

The bloke near us bagging Gia all day- Change the record champ, just pathetic really!

azabob
17-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Bankers

Murphy - Great to see his run and kicking back to it's best.

Roughead / Cordy /Jones : They keep presenting time and again, they are all starting to clunk marks in one on one situations. Slowly they are getting there.

Sticking up for your mates : Pleasing to see blokes looking out for each other and if their mate was involved in push and shove they came in to lend a hand. Minson, Picken and Cooney. But also pleasing to see Wallis and Roughead not taking a backward step either.

Anchors

Goal kicking

Port got some real drive from their kick in's.

Greystache
17-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Bankers

Austin- Playing a key role down back and doing it well. Also starting to play with a bit of attacking flair too.

Murphy- A welcome return to form

Cordy- Took another step forward today, I just wish he could convert.

Anchors

Goal kicking

Jones- Coming off good VFL form he was back to running under the flight of the ball again.

Justin Westhoff- Got a few touches late to take the edge off the hammering we were giving him from the boundary line.

Greystache
17-06-2012, 09:51 PM
The bloke near us bagging Gia all day- Change the record champ, just pathetic really!

KEEP YOUR FEET GIA, GET YOUR YOUR HANDS OFF YOUR HIPS.

Wooooo!

Ghost Dog
17-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Murph: Like Keanu in the Matrix, when he goes into ' bullet time' mode, just uses the opposition as witches' hats.

Wally: That curly mop kept bobbing up and spitting out the pill, despite being surrounded by a sea of white. How good is this kid in close? Smart, fast hands. Love your work.

Dahl: Backed himself on a tight angle and slotted it. A great asset in the corridor and fantastic with his run down chases.

Apologies to Jones, Austin, Adam Cooney ( Looked fast and dangerous, what knee?)

Anchors: Talking in the backline! Got caught with our pants down a few times. Their KPP roaming with acres of space in the second half.

People talking during the minute's silence to elder Charlie. Shut up and show some respect!

giaco
17-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Wooooo!

That would be Tony Dean from big footy.

How good is Mitch Wallis? Probably been our best player over the last 6 weeks. Can't remember a second year player being so good in my time.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2012, 10:51 PM
BANKERS:

The Match Committee for getting games into Roughead, Cordy & Jones with definitely an eye to the future. Hopefully in the years ahead they will be a strong force for us and super hard to match up on.

All players for flexing their muscles from time to time and not letting the other team intimidate us.

All players for contributing to a comfortable win.

ANCHOR:

None. In memory of Charlie.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-06-2012, 11:01 PM
BANKERS:
Murph was brilliant at half back
Boyd outstanding leadership with 34 disposals
Wallis has become a permanent fixture with most contested possessions

ANCHORS:
Inaccurate goal kicking major concern
Numerous opportunities lost through lack of a crumbing forward
Too one dimensional going forward in kicking high too often.

Maddog37
17-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Bankers. Games into kids and they are responding in a positive fashion.

Anchors

Lack of leg speed.

Too many players attacking the ball at the same time.

Mantis
17-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Wooooo!

'Simon' says put your hands on your head... Ok then.

ReLoad
17-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Bankers;

Murph. - Can we clone him?
Lake - I was impressed by Bwian today, no bwain fades and you can see his confidence levels rising each week.
Austin - Clearly his best game of AFL footy, id suggest that he is worth hanging onto.

Anchors
Howard. - No left foot at all, and what the hell happen to his "weapon foot" where he could kick like Gilbee?
The whole forward line - between the two big sticks, not the little ones.

Remi Moses
17-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Bankers - Austin ( very solid again)
Howard - probably his best game
Cordy - Going to be a very good footballer
Lake- Couldn't get him in the votes but he just marked everything
Murphy- best game for the season

Anchors- The kicking for goal- one word abysmal:(
Old father time catches up fast in this game.
I think it's caught Gia, losing count the amount of times he's slapping his hand in frustration

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 10:21 AM

2 clowns sit behind me and have done that for the entire time I've been a reserved member. Had a go at one of them once but it's just not worth it. Sadly when Gia retires these dickheads will start on someone else.

Ozza
18-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Bankers:

Wallis - got us going early with hands first on the ball. His kicking (probably confidence) has improved also.

Murphy - Head and shoulders best on ground, walked the walk after being the players voice regarding Charlie Sutton all week. A true Bulldog, our Bob.

The team effort goal with Higgins, Bob, and Gia finished (with others involved).

Picko - blanketed Pearce - don't let the stats take you for a ride - Pearce would have played on from a kick in 10 times.

Wood and Austin - both seemed pretty assured in defence. Addison in that bracket as well barring a couple of short lapses.

Anchors:

Obviously the goal kicking was poor.
Howard was a bit wobbly on the day - hope he stays in though, he should get there.
Disappointing crowd. I don't want to offend people who genuinely can't make it to the twilight games....but gee whiz it finishes at 7:20 - its not that late!

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Sticking up for your mates : Pleasing to see blokes looking out for each other and if their mate was involved in push and shove they came in to lend a hand. Minson, Picken and Cooney. But also pleasing to see Wallis and Roughead not taking a backward step either.

All players for flexing their muscles from time to time and not letting the other team intimidate us.

I've been enjoying watching our blokes fly the flag this year. It's been one in-all in when it comes to the opposition trying to get physical. If you lay hands on one of our guys then be prepared to get swamped by red, white and blue. Jones stared the trend yesterday early on after our first goal he noticed Cordy was being pushed around and didnt hesitate to run in to and get physical. It's been great stuff.

BANKERS

1. See above

2. Austin. Good to see his confidence grow. He's turning from a purely negative backman, much like Lake was early in his career, to trying to be more productve. A few times in the first half he left his opponent, got himself into positions to intercept kicks out of the forward 50 and pump it straight back in.

3. Wallis. Love the way he rolls his sleeves up and works hard to never lose a contest. Bob Murphy just sits off him and waits for the inevetible handball to get flicked his way then does his stuff.

Honourable mention. Dalhaus. This kid must be a great driver on the road. He seems to know what's going to happen long before everyone else. That interception in the first quarter was amazing. A shame he didnt kick the goal.

As a few other posters have said no Anchors this week in honour of Charlie.

SlimPickens
18-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Anchors
Howard. - No left foot at all, and what the hell happen to his "weapon foot" where he could kick like Gilbee?

He certainly doesnt have a right foot, bloody hell he's footless!:eek:

IMO he kicked the ball pretty well yesterday, it seemed it was a focus early to give it to him as often as possible anyway.

whythelongface
18-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Bankers:

1/ Robert Murphy - a true legend of the WB football club. Gotta love the man;

2/ Dylan Addison - I am really liking the way this guy plays under McCartney. Sure he does make the occassional poor decision but he has certainly gained a lot more confidence under the new regime;

3/ Shaun Higgins - a good game from Higgins yesterday. Hope he can really start to deliver these games more consistently.

Honorable mentions - Howard: thought he looked good in the first half and his kicking was pretty good. Austin: He has really played well since coming into the team and is getting better each week. Well done.

Anchors:

Goal kicking - obviously an area that needs to be worked on. Can't remember what our final goals/ behinds were but think we had about 10 to 12 more shots on goal then Port. Could have won the game by 50+ points.

whythelongface
18-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Bankers:

Disappointing crowd. I don't want to offend people who genuinely can't make it to the twilight games....but gee whiz it finishes at 7:20 - its not that late!

It is when you have a young family.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Missed the game yesterday, I had tickets to see the "Moonshadows" musical. What I didn't plan for was the gastro that hit me yesterday morning - had to leave the show at intermission :( So to hear the boys get the win reasonably well, and see about half when I got home, was terrific.

Just wanted to give a Banker to Tory Dickson for his goal in the third quarter (I think). Coons spots him, Dicko marks inside 50. His kick off the boot looks dreadful, will be lucky to make the behind. It curls unbelievably and goes through the middle! Money. :D

jeemak
18-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Bankers:

Murphy - Excellent example of his capability to out think and out kick the opposition

Howard - Got caught once, though I liked his willingness to push off a tackler and get clear disposal away

Forward Defensive Pressure - 28 tackes contributed by Dahlhaus, Higgins, Dickson, Giansiracusa, Cooney, Roughead, Cordy and Jones. These numbers need to be repeated weekly if we're to score competitively as we can't rely on only clean entry into F50

Anchors:

Disappointing turn out from supporters

Conversion

bornadog
18-06-2012, 02:12 PM
He certainly doesnt have a right foot, bloody hell he's footless!:eek:

IMO he kicked the ball pretty well yesterday, it seemed it was a focus early to give it to him as often as possible anyway.

Had a great first quarter picking up 10 disposals, but he does need to learn to kick with his RIGHT foot.

SlimPickens
18-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Had a great first quarter picking up 10 disposals, but he does need to learn to kick with his RIGHT foot.

Unfortunately not many left footers around that are comfortable on their opposite side and Howard would be one of them.

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately not many left footers around that are comfortable on their opposite side and Howard would be one of them.

It's a balance thing. I kick on my left although almost everything else I do is right dominated-all but throw a ball underarm, I'm left handed with that too. I just find it hard to settle, think and make the conscious decision to kick the ball right foot and then readjust my balance and weight to that side of my body. It's far easier to take a few more steps and try and get back onto my left foot.

Having said that if my job centred on kicking a footy, I'm sure I'd make the adjustment.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 03:19 PM
It's a balance thing. I kick on my left although almost everything else I do is right dominated-all but throw a ball underarm, I'm left handed with that too. I just find it hard to settle, think and make the conscious decision to kick the ball right foot and then readjust my balance and weight to that side of my body. It's far easier to take a few more steps and try and get back onto my left foot.

Having said that if my job centred on kicking a footy, I'm sure I'd make the adjustment.

That's why this stuff has to be taught at a young age and just drummed in via repetition. I am a natural right-footer, but (in soccer) got caught by a coach when I was quite young and forced to learn to be two-footed, especially since I play in the middle of the park. I remember a couple of years of a lot of training away from the main group just banging the ball in all types of situations with my left foot over and over and over to build the technique, balance and strength into it, but more importantly, to get my brain to accept it as natural. (I was already a free-kick and corner taker with my right even at that age, so my right foot was quite well-developed -- I remember the step-by-step building of my left-foot technique, which was basically learning to mirror what I did on my right.)

I still hit the dead-ball with my right foot, but in general play I don't even think twice about using either foot. I can't imagine starting to learn it as an adult though -- kids are so much more flexible with this stuff and it still took me a good two to three years of solid work to even be able to think about using it in competition, and this despite actually being ambidextrous (I play tennis and write with either hand). If your technique is flawed by the time you enter the AFL it's a little bit late I think, especially at that level of competition where the pressure is intense and there is just no time or space to think.

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I got my right foot caught in a swing when I was just a kid and broke almost every bone in it. I had to teach myself to kick left foot when I was 11 or 12 but I never went back even after my right foot was completely healed.

I notice when I'm playing soccer with my 13 yo that my right foot has a lot more power than my left with dead balls but I have to time it just right. I cant just kick it as hard as I can-it's about 70-80 % power and take more time to balance and aim. I can curl a soccer ball with my left foot better though.

chef
18-06-2012, 06:05 PM
It is when you have a young family.

Or when you live 3 hours away.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Or when you live 3 hours away.

No excuse:D:D

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes it is as public transport does not service a lot of country areas after 5 or 6 pm so that means a very long drive home after the footy. I hate the twilight time of games. Even living in W'bee you don't get home until 1 and a half hours after the match finishes if you travel on public transport as there are only special footy trains on the Watergardens line in the western suburbs!!!!!

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Oh, FFS, the club syncophants amongst us can stop pretending that 4.30 on Sunday is not the worst time to play or watch football. How many games do you see Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, or Carlton playing at 4.30 on Sunday?

It's the shithole of the schedule, and accordingly, we spend most of our time in it.

Maddog37
19-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Continual shit scheduling has me questioning my membership value.

Greystache
19-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh, FFS, the club syncophants amongst us can stop pretending that 4.30 on Sunday is not the worst time to play or watch football. How many games do you see Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, or Carlton playing at 4.30 on Sunday?

It's the shithole of the schedule, and accordingly, we spend most of our time in it.

So far we've played 2, Collingwood has played 1.

1 each have been home games.

w3design
19-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Boy it is great to see the love for Wallis and Addison coming through now. It would be a very interesting exercise to go back and see who was positive about them last season, compared to those who have simply jumped on the band wagon this season.

Wonder who will suddenly come good next year?

bornadog
19-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Boy it is great to see the love for Wallis and Addison coming through now. It would be a very interesting exercise to go back and see who was positive about them last season, compared to those who have simply jumped on the band wagon this season.

I will say that I have not been sold on Addison, but he has been solid without being a star and is doing the job the coach is asking him to do.

Mantis
20-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Addison is the same player he was last year, but he has gotten an opportunity due to injuries and is doing ok. I doubt he would be playing if our defence was at full strength.

Wallis has improved which was always going to happen for a 2nd year player, but he still has along way to go.

azabob
20-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Wallis has improved which was always going to happen for a 2nd year player, but he still has along way to go.

What is Wallis biggest area for improvement?

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Wallis is doing bloody well for such a young player.

Mantis
20-06-2012, 10:58 AM
What is Wallis biggest area for improvement?

Ball use.

Lots of little handballs at present to guys who aren't in a better position than he is, just needs to improve his composure to find the best option... I guess this goes against the learnings of taking the 1st option, but the very good players use the ball to the teams advantage more than what Mitch does at present.

In saying that he is certainly showing he has some great tools & attributes to work with.

Cyberdoggie
21-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Ball use.

Lots of little handballs at present to guys who aren't in a better position than he is, just needs to improve his composure to find the best option... I guess this goes against the learnings of taking the 1st option, but the very good players use the ball to the teams advantage more than what Mitch does at present.

In saying that he is certainly showing he has some great tools & attributes to work with.

Yeah so far he's pretty much just a handballer.
You can see his first reaction is to pick the ball up and handball it in the same diving action on most occasions. Needs composure to know when to do that and to actually take the ball and create by himself by foot.

Just take a look at this article pre drafting, and in Mitch's own assesment of his game, he compares himself to Joel Selwood, and inside and outside midfielder who can create, and is efficient.
Mitch Wallis (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102382/default.aspx)

His stats from the 2010 u/18 champs also indicate that he kicks and handballs a simlar amount. From his 9 game AFL career he averages 8.4 kicks, 13.9 handballs, that is very Daniel Cross like in comparison, not the stats of someone who is an inside and outside midfielder.

jeemak
21-06-2012, 01:00 AM
As Wallis gets his game together he'll add extra parts to his game to become a more complete player, well at least I hope he does.

At the moment he's playing a significant role as a distributor by hand and that's great, though over the next couple of years he needs to start using the ball by foot to create.

We can't afford to have midfielders that won't use both hand and foot moving forward, if the game hasn't already gone past that, then it will soon.

whythelongface
21-06-2012, 01:00 PM
As Wallis gets his game together he'll add extra parts to his game to become a more complete player, well at least I hope he does.

At the moment he's playing a significant role as a distributor by hand and that's great, though over the next couple of years he needs to start using the ball by foot to create.

We can't afford to have midfielders that won't use both hand and foot moving forward, if the game hasn't already gone past that, then it will soon.

He has shown, on occassions, that he can use the ball by foot, such as his lovely pass to Higgins last week. Hopefully he gains more confidence and starts to utilise his foot skills more.

EasternWest
21-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Ahem....

Not sure anyone is on Addison's bandwagon, just acknowledging that he is doing what he does week in, week out. It's probably more noticeable because he's playing more this year.

w3design
22-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah so far he's pretty much just a handballer.
You can see his first reaction is to pick the ball up and handball it in the same diving action on most occasions. Needs composure to know when to do that and to actually take the ball and create by himself by foot.

Just take a look at this article pre drafting, and in Mitch's own assesment of his game, he compares himself to Joel Selwood, and inside and outside midfielder who can create, and is efficient.
Mitch Wallis (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102382/default.aspx)

His stats from the 2010 u/18 champs also indicate that he kicks and handballs a simlar amount. From his 9 game AFL career he averages 8.4 kicks, 13.9 handballs, that is very Daniel Cross like in comparison, not the stats of someone who is an inside and outside midfielder.

Just a handballer"????? I guess much the same could have been said about one Scotty West.
If the kid turns out half that effective [ what does that equate to:3.5 Sutton Medals], I for one would be pretty happy.
Watch out, I reckon the kid is coming big time.

jeemak
22-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Just a handballer"????? I guess much the same could have been said about one Scotty West.
If the kid turns out half that effective [ what does that equate to:3.5 Sutton Medals], I for one would be pretty happy.
Watch out, I reckon the kid is coming big time.

Sorry mate, half as effective as Scott West equates to struggling for a game. Maybe running at 95% of Scott West equates to half the Sutton Medals......

Appreciate what you're trying to say, though.

Sedat
22-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Addison is the same player he was last year, but he has gotten an opportunity due to injuries and is doing ok. I doubt he would be playing if our defence was at full strength.

I actually think Addision has improved significantly his ability to defend one-on-one this season compared to previous seasons. He looked lost and was busy ball-watching a lot of times in the past but I think he is cutting off the angles and reading the flight of the ball off the boot much better this season, and has become a much more effective defender as a result. He is a good example of McCartney's ability to teach players to be better at the simple things.

Wallis does have some way to go but his rate of improvement year on year has been far in excess of what I thought he would achieve. The areas you mentioned do need some work but you can safely assume that he will learn as he becomes more experienced at this level, and will invariably sharpen up his decision-making with ball in hand - he is certainly a natural footballer who has finely honed instincts for where to run and how to track the ball.

always right
22-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I think Wallis needs to get a little more poise into his game.....which will come with game time. He has a habit of trying to gather and dish off the ball in one action which sometimes leads to some shoddy handballs. Have been really impressed with his level of improvement this year.

As for Addison...he's playing within his limitations. Posters on here might not have him in a full strength defensive unit but I wouldn't be surprised if McCartney has a different view. We really need only one lock down small defender though so Addison needs to keep performing. I do still worry about him when he lines up on quick smart forwards.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Addison lacks the footy smarts to lock down the more classier small forwards but fits the BMcC criteria of being hard in and under. Has played within his limitations and done well.
The big improvement in Wallis IMO has been moving from an outside midfielder to now being a lot harder at the contested footy. This was a strong characteristic of his father Steve's league career.