PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 13 vs Brisbane Lions

Greystache
17-06-2012, 03:45 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against Brisbane Lions at Etihad on Saturday afternoon?

A brief explanation for your changes as always would be good.

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Smith for Hargrave because we need Shaggy back is the only change I would make.

bornadog
17-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Smith for Hargrave because we need Shaggy back is the only change I would make.

Agreed, can't see any other changes.

LostDoggy
17-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Id like to see a bit more pace at the expense of a tall but I don't see it happening.

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Id like to see a bit more pace at the expense of a tall but I don't see it happening.

Same here but it's bloody hard to drop someone.

Topdog
17-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Have a feeling Libba will miss 1 week. He seemed to be quite hurt. So just Hargy for him on that assumption

azabob
17-06-2012, 09:44 PM

I'm ok with us playing Minson, Cordy, Jones and Roughead in a few years we will be glad.

For arguments sake who with pace could we bring in?

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm ok with us playing Minson, Cordy, Jones and Roughead in a few years we will be glad.

For arguments sake who with pace could we bring in?

Djerrkura and Moles would be in the mix.

azabob
17-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Different types of players one plays more forward doesn't get too much of it where as Moles plays in the midfield who always seems to get plenty of it, both suspect with their disposal.

Hopefully Moles can string a few good games together as he has shown the ability to run and carry more so than Djerrkura.

Mantis
17-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Would Sherman be in the mix too?

SlimPickens
17-06-2012, 10:13 PM
If Shaggy is fit he plays for Smith otherwise.

No change.

GVGjr
17-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Would Sherman be in the mix too?

He would probably be ahead of them the two I mentioned.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-06-2012, 10:43 PM

The forward line is still a problem in spite of the good win. We badly lack a crumbing forward with so many talls on the forward line. There were a number of occasions where Cordy and Roughead would fly for the ball without a small player at their feet when the ball came to ground. Neither Gia or Higgins fit the bill in this area. Dahlhaus and Dickson are emerging as our most effective forwards. Cordy certainly looked a lot more assured today and has improved dramatically from 12 months ago. Our delivery into the forward line isn't anywhere near good enough. Dickson is a very smart player and should be played through more often than simply banging the ball forward without any purpose.The easy misses in front for goal by Roughead, Minson and Cordy in the first half would have proved costly against stronger opposition. I still think Djeerkura could be a better option up forward allowing Higgins to move to defence.

Mantis
17-06-2012, 10:51 PM
He would probably be ahead of them the two I mentioned.

After being pretty good early on this season he seems, from the outside to be a fair way off at present as he hasn't really set the world on fire for Willi which I feel the MC would have wanted him to.

Shame because our team is screaming out for some of the qualities he posssess.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2012, 02:05 AM
The young talls did really well today so it's difficult to drop any of them on their performances.

I still feel we lack run -- part of this can be contributed to Gia and Higgins, who are absolutely null and void when it comes to applying defensive pressure.

I'd drop Higgins for a mid with pace, but I don't see that happening.

Hotdog60
18-06-2012, 06:27 AM
The young talls did really well today so it's difficult to drop any of them on their performances.

I still feel we lack run -- part of this can be contributed to Gia and Higgins, who are absolutely null and void when it comes to applying defensive pressure.

Higgins had a reasonable game and one of his better ones for the season. If only he could hang on to the marks he has his opponents cold on and keep his feet more often.

If he could hold his marks he would straight away become a different player.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Higgins had a reasonable game and one of his better ones for the season. If only he could hang on to the marks he has his opponents cold on and keep his feet more often.

If he could hold his marks he would straight away become a different player.

I thought it was one of his better games, played like he had something to prove at times.

How can we get Clays attitude into the body of Grant? That would be some player.

We need Grant or Sherman in the team. Howard must stay for consecutive games, Cordy must stay where he is. Roughhead for a rest?

always right
18-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Where is Grant?

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Where is Grant?

Played VFL on the weekend. Not sure how he went.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 09:56 AM
What was wrong with Shaggy?

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I thought it was one of his better games, played like he had something to prove at times.

How can we get Clays attitude into the body of Grant? That would be some player.

We need Grant or Sherman in the team. Howard must stay for consecutive games, Cordy must stay where he is. Roughhead for a rest?

How about smith as a permanent forward? We need some zip in our forward 50

bornadog
18-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Who is this mid with pace that is knocking on the door?

I thought both Gia and Higgins were very good yesterday and with our forward pressure being applied, there was no need for pace in the forward line as we did a great job holding the ball in.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 10:22 AM
What was wrong with Shaggy?

In the press conference Macca said he woke up on Sunday morning feeling very sore after training:eek:

Ozza
18-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Agree with the others that Higgins pressure and intensity was a lot better this week, 20 touches and 5 tackles and seemed regularly involved - not flashing in and out of the game. Thought Gia was a lot better than the previous week also (24 touches 7 marks 4 tackles and a goal).

I'd say Libba may get a week's rest. I'd like to see Sherman come in - regardless of how he went at Willy. I wouldn't be rushing Hargrave back in.

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I'd say Libba may get a week's rest. I'd like to see Sherman come in - regardless of how he went at Willy. I wouldn't be rushing Hargrave back in.

Unless Libba is injured he stays in. Don't see the point in resting him. He was subbed yesterday because he took a big knock in the 3rd I believe. Pretty sure he took a few more earlier.

Ozza
18-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Unless Libba is injured he stays in. Don't see the point in resting him. He was subbed yesterday because he took a big knock in the 3rd I believe. Pretty sure he took a few more earlier.

I don't think they'll take a risk with Libba if he does pull up sore - which is why i'm saying he might miss. He is 100% in our best 22- but Libba is still a kid - and has a pretty big workload - if he's sore I'd prefer they freshen him up for the run of games against the good sides.

Happy Days
18-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd say Libba may get a week's rest

He had a rest last week?

Smith for Shaggy the only change if at all.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 11:47 AM
In the press conference Macca said he woke up on Sunday morning feeling very sore after training:eek:

Hmmm. Hopefully he can be back this week.

DragzLS1
18-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Gia and Higgens were in alot of it today. Noticed Gia throwing himself over the ball on a few occassions through the mid and applied pressure (as much as Gia can). Thought they both were great today :)

Cordy is looking very confortable up forward and is looking more promising by every game he plays. Him and Jones may be very dangerous in the coming years ;)

I wouldnt have any changes unless somebody pulls up sore. We had the bye last week and should be fresh for this game against Brisbane. Especially after the Hawks game them a tough game in the wet ;)

Minson vs Huddo! Cant wait!

Happy Days
18-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Anyone else think Jones' role yesterday was slightly different to the one he's been playing? Seemed to play much further up from goal than he has been, really let us space the field better and left Cordy, who appears to be better body on body than Liam, one out a lot more. It helps that his field kicking appears markedly better. He's still running under the ball in contests too often, but playing this way could give him some easy ball, something he struggles with, and therefore some confidence.

I think there's room for the 3 bigs if Jones plays this way.

jeemak
18-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Who is this mid with pace that is knocking on the door?

I thought both Gia and Higgins were very good yesterday and with our forward pressure being applied, there was no need for pace in the forward line as we did a great job holding the ball in.

I have been critical of each over the last couple of week's, though they were both involved heavily throughout the day yesterday and contributed well.

They need to back it up for a few weeks now, consecutive solid games will do the world of good for their psyche.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Agree with the others that Higgins pressure and intensity was a lot better this week, 20 touches and 5 tackles and seemed regularly involved - not flashing in and out of the game..

12 of those were contested.

Ozza
18-06-2012, 03:22 PM
12 of those were contested.

Yeah I just had a look at the stats....interesting to note Higgins had the most 'pressure acts' for the team. And Gia had the most score involvements (10).

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Yeah I just had a look at the stats....interesting to note Higgins had the most 'pressure acts' for the team. And Gia had the most score involvements (10).

Both were dismal according to a lot of the supporters yesterday.

DragzLS1
18-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Both were dismal according to a lot of the supporters yesterday.

Would only expect this from alot of the supporters.. Nothing new and clearly dont have a clue tbh

Greystache
18-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Both were very good. I still feel having both in the forward line unbalances us, but when they play well it's less of an issue. Both of them played further up the ground yesterday which I think worked well. I nearly had Higgins in my votes, and Gia was only a little further back.

always right
18-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Thought Higgins was excellent yesterday and Gia more than serviceable. We do need however to remember that we were playing against a very poor side who had no-one in their backline capable of running off our blokes and setting up play like Bob Murphy was able to.

There were times yesterday in the first half where Port players simply sat ahead of the pack in general play knowing that once the ball came out to them, there was no-one from our side capable of catching them. Fortunately we won most of the stoppages but against a better side, pace is still our achilles heel. Nothing more disheartening watching an opposition player running through the middle towards goal with Crossy and Libba in pursuit. They never give up but you know they're never going to catch them.

If Libba has pulled up sore, we need to replace him with some pace next week. He copped a battering yesterday.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Thought Higgins was excellent yesterday and Gia more than serviceable. We do need however to remember that we were playing against a very poor side who had no-one in their backline capable of running off our blokes and setting up play like Bob Murphy was able to.

There were times yesterday in the first half where Port players simply sat ahead of the pack in general play knowing that once the ball came out to them, there was no-one from our side capable of catching them. Fortunately we won most of the stoppages but against a better side, pace is still our achilles heel. Nothing more disheartening watching an opposition player running through the middle towards goal with Crossy and Libba in pursuit. They never give up but you know they're never going to catch them.

If Libba has pulled up sore, we need to replace him with some pace next week. He copped a battering yesterday.

I thought playing Cooney in the forward line was great. He used his pace several times to put pressure on the Port backman.

westbulldog
18-06-2012, 07:42 PM
no change unless someone is injured.

Dazza
18-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm still not sold on the 3 talls up forward but happy to be proven wrong. Also happy to get games into all 3.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm still not sold on the 3 talls up forward but happy to be proven wrong. Also happy to get games into all 3.

I agree. Our forward line still looks unbalanced with the 3 talls. Still to be convinced about Jones being in the line up. I fancy he would be better off going back to Williamstown and played at centre half back to learn how forwards should play. His aerial skills and poor goal kicking doesn't inspire a lot of confidence going forward.

Mantis
19-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree. Our forward line still looks unbalanced with the 3 talls. Still to be convinced about Jones being in the line up. I fancy he would be better off going back to Williamstown and played at centre half back to learn how forwards should play. His aerial skills and poor goal kicking doesn't inspire a lot of confidence going forward.

Jones's goal kicking >>>> Roughy's goal-kicking

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 12:21 PM
So Will is out this week do we bring in Campbell or let Roughy and Cordy take the reigns for a week?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 01:23 PM

How did Cordy and Roughead of a sudden become better than Jones?

Cordy took 6 mark(Jones has been doing that for ages), kicked 2 but missed a sitter.
Roughead dropped a chest mark and missed a couple of easy chances.

20 game rule.

BulldogBelle
19-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks AFL. I was genuinely looking forward to Minson vs Hudson. Funnily enough, how much of a jibe is Huddo gonna give the boys now. Might even get himself suspended ;)

bornadog
19-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Out Minson

In: Campbell.

Scraggers
19-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Out Minson

Agreed ... Elevate him off the rookie list.

SlimPickens
19-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Out Minson

Yep, think it's time to unleash Campbell.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Out Minson

BMcC has been keen to elevate Campbell after round 11 so now is his chance. It will also be good to see Roughead given more time as a ruckman.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Jones's goal kicking >>>> Roughy's goal-kicking

Roughead has the added advantage of being played as a ruckman which now becomes significant with the loss of Minson.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2012, 03:30 PM
How did Cordy and Roughead of a sudden become better than Jones?

Cordy took 6 mark(Jones has been doing that for ages), kicked 2 but missed a sitter.
Roughead dropped a chest mark and missed a couple of easy chances.

20 game rule.

It comes down to a matter of opinion. Jones has been very ordinary this year and averages one goal a game which isn't good enough for a key forward. Cordy's improvement has been better than Jones. We need Roughead in the side as a back up ruckman and without Minson this week will become our number one ruckman.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 04:49 PM
In: Panos
Out: Minson

I would like to see Panos get a game. With Roughead and Cordy sharing the ruck duties there is a place for him in the forward line. He can also play back if needed.

Cyberdoggie
19-06-2012, 06:10 PM
How does promoting Campbell for a single game achieve anything?

Surely we put faith in Roughead to do the job, half the reason we gave Huddo the flick was to give Roughead more of a shot because he's the future.

Apart from his goal kicking Roughead has been improving nicely this year, his attack on the ball is far better and he's showing a bit of skill at times.

I understand we are all keen to see Campbell based on one pre-season game but i really don't think it's necessary to waste money on promoting the guy for one game against Brisbane.

Anyway back to the thread title, i'd like to see Panos get a game or we bring in Smith and sub Sherman. Give Shaggy another week off if he's still sore.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm a fan of Campbell but I think this gives us an opportunity to bring in a running player. If Hargrave doesn't return, perhaps Smith gets a full game and we bring in Sherman or Veszpremi.

I would consider Moles as a sub, too.

Greystache
19-06-2012, 06:58 PM
How does promoting Campbell for a single game achieve anything?

Surely we put faith in Roughead to do the job, half the reason we gave Huddo the flick was to give Roughead more of a shot because he's the future.

Apart from his goal kicking Roughead has been improving nicely this year, his attack on the ball is far better and he's showing a bit of skill at times.

I understand we are all keen to see Campbell based on one pre-season game but i really don't think it's necessary to waste money on promoting the guy for one game against Brisbane.

Anyway back to the thread title, i'd like to see Panos get a game or we bring in Smith and sub Sherman. Give Shaggy another week off if he's still sore.

McCartney has said numerous times, including in a post-game interview this week that he sees Roughead as a long term key defender. He also specifically mentioned Campbell as a back up ruckman on our list. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be promoted this week and even given an extended run, the coach clearly really rates him.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 07:20 PM
McCartney has said numerous times, including in a post-game interview this week that he sees Roughead as a long term key defender. He also specifically mentioned Campbell as a back up ruckman on our list. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be promoted this week and even given an extended run, the coach clearly really rates him.
Why doesn't he play him there then?

bornadog
19-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm a fan of Campbell but I think this gives us an opportunity to bring in a running player. If Hargrave doesn't return, perhaps Smith gets a full game and we bring in Sherman or Veszpremi.

I would consider Moles as a sub, too.

The coach has been playing Minson and Roughead as rucks. One is out so will he bring in another ruckman as a replacement, or will Ayce move from a forward to a ruck role?

ledge
19-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks AFL. I was genuinely looking forward to Minson vs Hudson. Funnily enough, how much of a jibe is Huddo gonna give the boys now. Might even get himself suspended ;)

It wasnt the AFL it was the club who suspended him.

BulldogBelle
19-06-2012, 11:32 PM
It's the knowledge that the AFL inconsistently and overreactively deals out punishment, and the current monopoly of the slime in the media that suspended him.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2012, 12:00 AM
The coach has been playing Minson and Roughead as rucks. One is out so will he bring in another ruckman as a replacement, or will Ayce move from a forward to a ruck role?

I would have Ayce take care of some ruck duties, especially as it's only for one week and against Brisbane, but I can understand the merit in bringing Campbell into the side. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him play, I just think run is more of a priority for us.

strebla
20-06-2012, 01:35 AM
I would have Ayce take care of some ruck duties, especially as it's only for one week and against Brisbane, but I can understand the merit in bringing Campbell into the side. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him play, I just think run is more of a priority for us.

Hate to disagree but I don't want Roughie or Cordy up against Huddo he will pound away at them like an anvil.

DragzLS1
20-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I think Roughead has to play no.1 ruck role so we can see where he is at and Cordy can pinch hit. Our mids are better then Brisbanes and should win the clearances anyway but would depend on wether or not Roughy get come close to breaking even with Huddo.

Damn it! Was really looking forward to Minson taking on Huddo! :(

G-Mo77
20-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Well Campbell has officially been elevated so I'd expect to see him in the team Saturday.

Cyberdoggie
20-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Well Campbell has officially been elevated so I'd expect to see him in the team Saturday.

Yeah it's official.

Campbell elevated from rookie list (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139043/default.aspx)

Looks like Morris's injury is still no good and he'll be out for the year.
Probably a good move, Badly broken legs are an awful injury and you rarely get back the next year without complications.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2012, 03:55 PM
My question is, will Campbell get games after this week and if so who will he dislodge?

If the answer is no (or unlikely), I'm not sure upgrading him is a great move.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 04:07 PM
My question is, will Campbell get games after this week and if so who will he dislodge?

If the answer is no (or unlikely), I'm not sure upgrading him is a great move.

What is the issue if he is upgraded? It doesn't mean he has to be on our list next year. Isn't the upgrade just for this year and if we want him on the senior list in 2013, we would have to give up a pick?

Sockeye Salmon
20-06-2012, 04:20 PM
What is the issue if he is upgraded? It doesn't mean he has to be on our list next year. Isn't the upgrade just for this year and if we want him on the senior list in 2013, we would have to give up a pick?

He will be though.

DragzLS1
20-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I think possibly can rotate games into Roughy, Cordy and Cambell through out the remainder of the season but only think Cambell will get another 3 games to get a taste.

Would have liked Roughy to have a good go against Huddo and see how he went

Desipura
20-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Beg to differ, Campbell will be offered a contract by seasons end.

Greystache
20-06-2012, 05:59 PM

That's correct, the promotion is until then end of the season or when the player returns off the LTI, which ever comes first. If we choose to promote him onto the main list we only need to use a token pick in the draft following our last "active" selection.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Beg to differ, Campbell will be offered a contract by seasons end.

You misunderstood my post, but Stache didn't :)

That's correct, the promotion is until then end of the season or when the player returns off the LTI, which ever comes first. If we choose to promote him onto the main list we only need to use a token pick in the draft following our last "active" selection.

Remi Moses
21-06-2012, 07:34 PM
In Campbell
Out Will ( loose lips)
Good luck Big Tom

Rocco Jones
21-06-2012, 07:35 PM
In: Campbell
Out: Minson

An interesting emergency list including Shaggy and Gilbee along with DJ.

LostDoggy
21-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Hargrave late inclusion? Or not fit enough still ?

SlimPickens
21-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Libba to be the sub?

The Bulldogs Bite
21-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Libba to be the sub?

Seems pretty likely and I don't mind that, Libba got banged up last week.

SlimPickens
21-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Seems pretty likely and I don't mind that, Libba got banged up last week.

Yep he certainly did, wouldn't be surprised if he was a late change to be honest.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Yep he certainly did, wouldn't be surprised if he was a late change to be honest.

I agree with this and wouldn't be surprised if Hargrave is a late inclusion for Liberatore, allowing Smith to retain his position.

Ghost Dog
22-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Gilbee? Go figure

bornadog
23-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Gilbee? Go figure

I don't understand this post:confused:

Hotdog60
23-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Gilbee? Go figure

If Gilbee can still pin point a long pass on to a team mates chest then he can have a place in the side. He just needs to be the player that can spread, receive it and use it. We lack disposal at the moment and if Lindsay can still bring this to the side why not. He's not any slower than the rest of the team at the moment.

G-Mo77
23-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Gilbee? Go figure

Are you disputing that he shouldn't even be emergency or do you know something that we don't?

Ghost Dog
23-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Just me or every time he kicks the ball these days it's a clanger. also looked very proppy when I saw him play at Willy.
I think his reputation by foot is starting to get ahead of his actual on field performance.

bulldogsman
23-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I think his reputation by foot is starting to get ahead of his actual on field performance.

I agree.

From what I've seen of him this year, he's struggled in general play and by foot. I'd like us to persist with the young guys.
I hope we give him a send off game though.

divvydan
23-06-2012, 01:19 PM
No late changes, sub is Smith. Green sub for BL.

Greystache
23-06-2012, 01:23 PM
No late changes, sub is Smith. Green sub for BL.
I'm a bit surprised by that. That will be 3 weeks in a row that Smith has played less than a full game, and given the battering Libba copped last week I would've thought the sub role would be a good fit for him this week.