PDA

View Full Version : Lucy Cornes in Twitter attack after Will Minson offends Port Adelaide players with of

Pages : [1] 2

Throughandthrough
18-06-2012, 02:56 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson has again offended Port Adelaide players with his on-field remarks.

Minson is accused by Port players of making unsavoury remarks about Danyle Pearce's mother after tackling Pearce in Sunday's clash at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/minson-under-scrutiny-for-comment/story-e6freco3-1226398500861

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Yawn.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Yeesh.

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:27 PM
'Tweeting to Minson saying: "U r an oxygen thief.''

Classy. Each and every Port player on the hand would be an absolute angel on the field. This is a club that idolised Dave Granger.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Minson in slur row (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138830/default.aspx)

Bloody Sook

BulldogBelle
18-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Get prepared for the standard AFL response

Probably some sort of fine for Minno - that and probably be told to give Pearce a little cuddle

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:41 PM

For us the standard AFL response is a suspension where any other team's players would get a fine. Daniel Southern is still the only player suspended for wrestling. Todd Curley had his career ruined by a clumsy oaf of an umpire running backwards into him. Chris Grant had a Brownlow taken away from him.

Minson will be suspended, the AFL have form on this when it comes to us.

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 03:44 PM
If you are still playing football your opponents mother does not wear army boots.

It's being investigated now and I bet he'll do time over it.

God this game has turned into a bloody joke!

Greystache
18-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Nothing screams unsophisticated trash quite like text speak.

Twodogs
18-06-2012, 03:55 PM

U reckon? Me 2.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 04:02 PM
What a load of tripe...

Greystache
18-06-2012, 04:02 PM
U reckon? Me 2.

Yep i dont no how 2 spell proply so i pretend not 2 try 2

Remi Moses
18-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Josh Hunt stands on a players hand . Nothing
Bizarre

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 04:37 PM
It may be an over reaction (am waiting to hear what was actually said before forming an opinion) but I am still disappointed that it brings our club into a bad light - again. :(

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Loved this comment

"BlindFreddy of Eastern Suburbs Posted at 2:04 PM Today
Not happy about Minsons comments as our beloved Port are just not that strong on the field and lacking skills at the moment. Comments by the opposition really hurt our feelings. It is good that we get our misses to fight our battles, maybe next week we can fill our squad with the players wives and girlfriends so we can put in a more harder performance."

Throughandthrough
18-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I would suggest that Lucy Cornes wouldn't have written what she did if there wasn't prior bad blood between Minson and her family.

Desipura
18-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I would suggest that Lucy Cornes wouldn't have written what she did if there wasn't prior bad blood between Minson and her family.

Didnt Lucy Cornes have a reputation as well? I can recall something from when a former Sth Australian was playing for us

Cyberdoggie
18-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Maybe they should ban wags from tweeting as well!

FrediKanoute
18-06-2012, 05:24 PM
News flash - Fredi Kanoute seeking damages for loss of time for being mislead into reading an article about nothing.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 05:29 PM
News flash - Fredi Kanoute seeking damages for loss of time for being mislead into reading an article about nothing.

Hahahah.. perhaps we could make that a class action!

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Love it!! :D

Max469
18-06-2012, 06:12 PM
It may be an over reaction (am waiting to hear what was actually said before forming an opinion) but I am still disappointed that it brings our club into a bad light - again. :(

I agree with this.

Disappointed in Will if this is the case.

Eastdog
18-06-2012, 06:15 PM
After a great win yesterday for us and hearing this about Minson is disappointing. I can't really say too much as I don't exactly know what he said.

chef
18-06-2012, 06:21 PM
I agree with this.

Disappointed in Will if this is the case.

Same here.

He must have said something right off to get this response. Family, race and religion should be a no go zone when comes to sledging.

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Same here.

He must have said something right off to get this response. Family, race and religion should be a no go zone when comes to sledging.
I understand Race and Religion.
Family not so sure.
Can't you call someone a Mother F? or Mother wears army boots?
Its a bit beyond a joke really.
No surprise the player hasn't said anything.

chef
18-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Family not so sure.
Can't you call someone a Mother F? or Mother wears army boots?
Its a bit beyond a joke really.
No surprise the player hasn't said anything.

Obviously he didn't just use the garden variety mother insult(calling someone a Mofo hasn't really got anything to do with their actual mother) if he's getting this response, it seems like he may have over stepped the mark. To me family should be out of bounds as well

SonofScray
18-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Minson reckons Pearce's mother can't spell. I reckon he is right. Bloke doesn't even have a real name.

With regards to the historical comments and sour puss Lucy Cornes, if Graham did the right thing by the world and had his sons aborted, there'd be no issue. Honestly, Will manned up and apologised for a comment which was off but nothing in the grand scheme of anyone's lives, she should let it go.

I have no issue with sledging, despite the fact I rarely engaged in it myself as a player. If Will is happy to accept that people will think he is a prick and to cop a bit of biff now and then, he should keep right at it. He is doing it as a tactic to further the position of the team I follow, I'll continue to get around him. *assuming it is lawful. i.e. not racially vilifying etc etc

chef
18-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know what was actually said?

G-Mo77
18-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Obviously he didn't just use the garden variety mother insult if he's getting this response, it seems like he may have over stepped the mark. To me family should be out of bounds as well

OK then what you can't make a comment if a guy is cross eyed, red headed or has a stupid hair cut.

I've got a loooong list of things that have said to me out on the field. My mother's been a naughty girl according to some players I played against. They're just words in the end. It all should stay on the field and shake your opponents hand when it's all over.

It's no surprise this has all come from Danyle Pearce who gets upset when his night light is turned off.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Minson reckons Pearce's mother can't spell. I reckon he is right. Bloke doesn't even have a real name.

With regards to the historical comments and sour puss Lucy Cornes, if Graham did the right thing by the world and had his sons aborted, there'd be no issue. Honestly, Will manned up and apologised for a comment which was off but nothing in the grand scheme of anyone's lives, she should let it go.

I have no issue with sledging, despite the fact I rarely engaged in it myself as a player. If Will is happy to accept that people will think he is a prick and to cop a bit of biff now and then, he should keep right at it. He is doing it as a tactic to further the position of the team I follow, I'll continue to get around him. *assuming it is lawful. i.e. not racially vilifying etc etc

this ^^

Throughandthrough
18-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Didnt Lucy Cornes have a reputation as well? I can recall something from when a former Sth Australian was playing for us

Not that I can recall off the top of my head

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Cornes' Tweet was "U r an oxygen thief. Anytime you'd like to make an apology to my 5 yr old son, make it in the form of a donation to HeartKids SA"

IIRC correctly, Will already apologised for that gross error in judgment. If he repeated it (or similar) well, that's indefensible. But Lucy Cornes going into bat for another player? That's school yard stuff.

chef
18-06-2012, 06:42 PM
OK then what you can't make a comment if a guy is cross eyed, red headed or has a stupid hair cut.

I've got a loooong list of things that have said to me out on the field. My mother's been a naughty girl according to some players I played against. They're just words in the end. It all should stay on the field and shake your opponents hand when it's all over.

It's no surprise this has all come from Danyle Pearce who gets upset when his night light is turned off.

Fair enough, each to there own. I just think to get this reaction he may have said more than just the normal insult, time will tell I guess.

chef
18-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Not that I can recall off the top of my head

Was she the one Mick Molloy had to apologise too?

Throughandthrough
18-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Maybe they should ban wags from tweeting as well!

Lucy is a radio announcer here as well. But knowing the Cornes family she wouldn't have said what she said as a journalist.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Was she the one Mick Molloy had to apologise too?

No. That was Graham Cornes' wife.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2012, 06:56 PM

It's OK to sledge Rangas

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2012, 06:57 PM
This reminds me of when Rod Marsh welcomed Ian Botham to the crease with "how's your wife and my kids?"

Botham replied, "the wife's fine, but the kids are rtarded."

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Obviously he didn't just use the garden variety mother insult(calling someone a Mofo hasn't really got anything to do with their actual mother) if he's getting this response, it seems like he may have over stepped the mark. To me family should be out of bounds as well
Who knows what he said?
I remember I got a mum sledge playing soccer. Maybe I was upset at the time but realised its was just a sledge. Thought it spurred me on to beat the player and win the game.
Not sure how he could take it seriously?

SonofScray
18-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Who knows what he said?
I remember I got a mum sledge playing soccer. Maybe I was upset at the time but realised its was just a sledge. Thought it spurred me on to beat the player and win the game.

He is a weak character.

azabob
18-06-2012, 07:09 PM
This reminds me of when Rod Marsh welcomed Ian Botham to the crease with "how's your wife and my kids?"

Botham replied, "the wife's fine, but the kids are rtarded."

Funny stuff.

Remi Moses
18-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Once again emphasizes how many morons there are out there.

Just slander people this social networking.
Someone should inform her it's ALLEGED he said these comments.
Secondly if anything was uttered, what did he say?

Remi Moses
18-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Probably some sort of fine for Minno - that and probably be told to give Pearce a little cuddle

Amazing the AFL allow a player to his hand stood on,yet this get's blown up to epic proportions

LostDoggy
18-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Family not so sure.

I'm a white atheist with kids, and I can tell you I'd be more offended if you sledged me about my kids.
Having said that I would like to think a true professional wouldn't be effected or put off their game by anything. So since we haven't heard from the Port player, maybe he is a pro.

Desipura
18-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Who knows what he said?
Chops, off topic, who did you play soccer with? I played at then George Cross, WestVale and did a preseason at Western Suburbs.

SonofScray
18-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I couldn't help myself, looked up Lucy Cornes' FB and twitter accounts... ffs. Chad and Kane getting stuck into Minson as well, the moral outrage is hilarious.

Remi Moses
18-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Judge Mike Sheehan has Minson guilty on Body Language.
:rolleyes:
Yes Mike maybe step outside the press box and purchase some over priced junk food .
Twighlight football is shocking, and Collingwood only got 30 odd thousand against GC a few weeks ago!!

SonofScray
18-06-2012, 10:07 PM
It is really blowing right up, crazy stuff. The priorities in the game are way out of whack.

EasternWest
18-06-2012, 10:22 PM

There's... There's a fair amount of glorious insanity in this post. It felt a bit wrong that I laughed at it.

Hard to know exactly how to react without knowing exactly what was said. I must admit, my gut response was to think that Pearce could do with a little toughening up. But like I said, I don't know exactly what went on, so I'm not going to make a firm statement on it.

jeemak
18-06-2012, 10:57 PM
It's OK to sledge Rangas

Hahaha, the great modern bastion of acceptable sledging. Hanging it on red-heads is some of the most basic and boring sledging one can engage in. Any coincidence its prevalence has increased proportionately with the ever increasing dumbing down of society?

If you're going to slegde, find something clever and preferably something the person you're sledging can actually change but is generally too lazy to do so.

N.B. I am not a red-dead. For some reason red-head bashing grinds my gears.

GVGjr
18-06-2012, 11:10 PM
it seems like he may have over stepped the mark. To me family should be out of bounds as well

I tend to agree. His last effort against Port was in the poorest of taste so I think he should have known a lot better as it was only going to bring the past back to the surface again. Why would he want to do that?
There was a fair bit of niggle in the game but Will should be better than that.

Rocco Jones
18-06-2012, 11:14 PM
It's really hard to draw a line when it's not about race or religion.

For example, John Worsfold on two ocassions as a player abused opponents about their a relative of theirs passing away. IMO that stuff isn't on. I would rather someone have a go at my race (not too sensitive about someone having a dip at me being agnostic either!) then comment about a loved one who has passed away.

If it comes down to mocking his mum because she can't spell, I think it's more about the spelling of DANYLE than anything more sinister such as the disadvantaged indigenous angle.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 11:14 PM
I tend to agree. His last effort against Port was in the poorest of taste so I think he should have known a lot better as it was only going to bring the past back to the surface again. Why would he want to do that?

"Dumbest smart bloke in the competition"?

Rocco Jones
18-06-2012, 11:16 PM

I think his comments about how Kane should have stayed at home with his sick kid were out of bounds.

It all depends on how much was about mocking him about the spelling of his name. If it's just that, this is very much an over the top reaction.

jeemak
18-06-2012, 11:18 PM
I posted on another forum that Will seems to be good example of how easily the disparity between academic intelligence and emotional intelligence can be demonstrated in the heat of battle.

He should be smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

Having said that, I'm not going to hang the bloke out to dry without knowing what's been said, irrespective of whether the talk about the Bulldogs this week should be about us getting a good win against Port, and the potential to string a couple of wins together.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Caro on Footy Classified saying that the comments were of a suggestive, sexual nature. Minson has apparently admitted to making comments about Pearce's mother, but denies the accusations made. :eek:

Hutchy saying it should be 4-6 weeks suspension, Thommo says it should be a fine.

Rocco Jones
18-06-2012, 11:24 PM
I missed that Minson has admitted to making comments about having sex with Pearce's mother.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I missed that Minson has admitted to making comments about having sex with Pearce's mother.

Yep, if what Caro has said is accurate.

bornadog
18-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Hutchy saying it should be 4-6 weeks suspension, Thommo says it should be a fine.

Is he serious, what is the world coming to.

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 11:29 PM

Which one?

bornadog
18-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Which one?

4-6 weeks suspension for mouthing off, my god.:eek:

AndrewP6
18-06-2012, 11:32 PM
4-6 weeks suspension for mouthing off, my god.:eek:

I tend to agree.

jeemak
18-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Caro on Footy Classified saying that the comments were of a suggestive, sexual nature. Minson has apparently admitted to making comments about Pearce's mother, but denies the accusations made. :eek:

Just caught the back end of that. 4-6 weeks or the "biggest stick available" FFS.

If Minson is denying it, then it has to go to the tribunal and be tested with witness accounts.

I've never understood mum jokes, they go straight over my head.

MrMahatma
18-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Seriously, the number of times blokes have said they've screwed my mum...(who is a complete angel!)

Toughen up princess.

craigsahibee
18-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Wasn't one of the Cornes alleged to have sledged Will one day along the lines of "his brother is soft because he couldn't handle the AFL" or something of that nature after his brother Hugh was forced to retire through degenerative knee injury at the age of 20.

SonofScray
18-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Ridiculous, thy are going to crucify him. Robbo has lined him up fair and square within the idea of AFL being a safe and inclusive environment for women. Caro and Hutchy have gone way over the top. Moral outrage.

Matty Scarlett hanging Will out to dry as well. Like he is an angel.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 12:39 AM
This is ludicrous, and funnily enough, represents my absolute last straw with this game and its self appointed moral guardians who are happy to pander to power and celebrity while sticking their boots into those they deem beneath their notice and worthy of contempt.

If Minson gets any weeks I'm walking away from the game I had loved for decades, but have increasingly become disillusioned with. The straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

Remi Moses
19-06-2012, 12:39 AM

That's the same bloke who tipped Gold Coast to make the eight last year.
The same bloke who poured a bucket of poo on a Stkilda player( got sued if I recall)

Remi Moses
19-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Well if the AFL are going the moral highground,can they please stop the slander hiding under social networking by Girlfriends, Wives , Boyfriends(not that there's anything wrong with that)
Please!!!

jeemak
19-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Seriously, the number of times blokes have said they've screwed my mum...(who is a complete angel!)

Toughen up princess.

Best qualifier ever :D

immortalmike
19-06-2012, 12:59 AM
This is ludicrous, and funnily enough, represents my absolute last straw with this game and its self appointed moral guardians who are happy to pander to power and celebrity while sticking their boots into those they deem beneath their notice and worthy of contempt.

If Minson gets any weeks I'm walking away from the game I had loved for decades, but have increasingly become disillusioned with. The straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

I can agree with the sentiment Lantern mate. This represents all that is wrong with modern football. Trial by media, and Wil has no chance at a defence, he's apparently a sociopath and an oxygen thief for doing something that happens every week on every football field in the country. Thanks football media moral police.

SonofScray
19-06-2012, 01:12 AM
The AFL Juggernaught:

MORAL OUTRAGE! CAN YOU SEE HOW OUTRAGED WE ALL ARE! MINSON MUST GO!

meanwhile

..... fines a bloke for stomping on another player, lets off a bloke for not punching an opponent hard enough, crucifies incidental contact to the head

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 01:24 AM

I've felt like this for a while.

My pup loves the Storm and I've been to a few games now, I'm enjoying it more than footy.

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 02:09 AM
I couldn't help myself, looked up Lucy Cornes' FB and twitter accounts... ffs. Chad and Kane getting stuck into Minson as well, the moral outrage is hilarious.

I had to look it up. :o

Chad Cornes
He is an absolute disgrace. Is there a stronger word than hate?

Graham S Cornes
Strike Two. How can someone supposedly so intelligent........

I've pieced Will Minson's side of the story together from various quotes from different articles.

Minson: Initial sledge, nothing on that
Pearce: "What have you ever done"
Minson: ""I ****** your mother for half an hour last night."

Liam Picken can back up his story.

Port are claiming it was a lot worse and more to do with a forceful nature.

Hotdog60
19-06-2012, 06:43 AM
I had to look it up. :o

Chad Cornes
He is an absolute disgrace. Is there a stronger word than hate?

Graham S Cornes
Strike Two. How can someone supposedly so intelligent........

I've pieced Will Minson's side of the story together from various quotes from different articles.

What ever happened to the old days when you got sledged with what ever type of comment, had a box on on the field and then had a beer with them after the game. Todays generation are to sensitive and need to grow a set. I used cop a lot of that sort of thing in my day and if you let it bother you they win. To me it just completive banter and no more.

GVGjr
19-06-2012, 07:42 AM

I hope you have a rethink of this because I think there is a chance that Minson cops a week.
There has been a precedent set with McGinnity and I can't see how Minson gets away from it unless they deem a large fine and some counseling sufficient.

While I think players need to have thicker skins and not get upset by comments like that I still believe that experienced players like Minson need to be better than making comments.
The silly thing is that he already had a bad reputation with Port and has just thrust himself into the position of public enemy #1.

Will was having a great season and doesn't need this distraction.

On a side note, I wonder if the Dogs will now upgrade Tom Campbell if Minson gets suspended?

soupman
19-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I've never understood mum jokes, they go straight over my head.

Same. How does a comment about your mother, or anybody else you know they have never met, cause such offence? Who cares, just laugh in their face.

So I assume there was some mention of r***.

Not the classiest thing Will has done, but as said above considering players are let off for not hitting a player hard enough, stomping on their hand and elbowing (Judd) surely this can't be worth a suspension, otherwise it'll turn into "You can break a nose but under no circumstances can you make an obviously false comment about someone you don't even know".

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 08:58 AM
So I assume there was some mention of r***.

Pearce is claiming that Will is denying it.

Desipura
19-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I think Minson will get 1 week with the club also imposing a fine.

always right
19-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Interesting how many are going into bat for Will, yet none of us know what was actually said. Regardless of whether sleding is a legitimate tactic or not, there is a line and perhaps Will has crossed it....he certainly did in his comments about Corne's son which most here appear to have conceded.

My view is he will get two weeks and it wil be imposed by the club under pressure from the AFL. McGinnity received a week for something similar but Will has priors so it's unlikely that he will get the same sentence.

Like it or not, the AFL has made it clear that this sort of thing won't be tolerated and players have nowhere to hide if they ignore the AFL's policy. Disappointed that Will even saw the need to go down this path in a game that was comfortably in our keeping. It wasn't exactly a high pressure match where emotions were running freely. It was Danyle Pearce afterall......not Campbell Brown or Hayden Ballantyne.

Sorry to run against the general consensus on this board. I love Will and genuinely believe he is of great character but he's stuffed up (again) in this situation.

chef
19-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I think Minson will get 1 week with the club also imposing a fine.

Which is in line with what McGinity copped last year, fair enough.

chef
19-06-2012, 09:12 AM

I guess it comes down to what ****** is.

Times have changed and there's a limit nowadays with what you can say.

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I guess it comes down to what ****** is.

Times have changed and there's a limit nowadays with what you can say.

It starts with an f. :)

chef
19-06-2012, 09:16 AM
It starts with an f. :)

How do you know?

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 09:21 AM
How do you know?

It was in an article I read last night. That's what Minson and Picken are claiming the port camp are claiming it starts with an r.

always right
19-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Hmmm....they don't really sound alike do they?

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Interesting how many are going into bat for Will, yet none of us know what was actually said. Regardless of whether sleding is a legitimate tactic or not, there is a line and perhaps Will has crossed it....he certainly did in his comments about Corne's son which most here appear to have conceded.

My view is he will get two weeks and it wil be imposed by the club under pressure from the AFL. McGinnity received a week for something similar but Will has priors so it's unlikely that he will get the same sentence.

Like it or not, the AFL has made it clear that this sort of thing won't be tolerated and players have nowhere to hide if they ignore the AFL's policy. Disappointed that Will even saw the need to go down this path in a game that was comfortably in our keeping. It wasn't exactly a high pressure match where emotions were running freely. It was Danyle Pearce afterall......not Campbell Brown or Hayden Ballantyne.

Sorry to run against the general consensus on this board. I love Will and genuinely believe he is of great character but he's stuffed up (again) in this situation.

Supposedly the AFLPA has educated the players (over and over) as to what is and what isnt acceptible, and discussing a players family isnt acceptible. Si (if he did) Minson said something that he has previously been warned he cant say.
I suspect he will get 1 (maybe 2) weeks as well

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Hmmm....they don't really sound alike do they?

Well technically same words different context. I'm not going to post what Port are claiming, it can be found in a few of the articles online quite easily.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Supposedly the AFLPA has educated the players (over and over) as to what is and what isnt acceptible, and discussing a players family isnt acceptible. Si (if he did) Minson said something that he has previously been warned he cant say.
I suspect he will get 1 (maybe 2) weeks as well
Is it really discussing a player's family telling them an obvious lie? How can you take it seriously? If anyone is hurt by it then it's weak.
Obviously this is a personal vendetta against Minson.
You won't be allowed to talk to opposite soon.

You are allowed to sledge a person's character which is what Pearce did but say an obvious lie it's a no-no.
It's been happening since day dot in sport.
Whats the difference when Michael Voss did the same sledge to his brother Brett?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 10:37 AM
The reporting of this is BS.
Minson's sledge against Pearce's mum?
Well the sledge is on Pearce not his mum. If he is bragging abour sleeping with his mum then I would think it was consential.

Ozza
19-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Its pretty farcical.

If what Minson said was in fact along the lines of "I f****d your mum..." and that has caused offence to the point where its trotted out in the media, and under AFL investigation - then its mystifying.

Anyone who had played footy - or probably any contact sport for that matter - has heard this sort of stuff regularly. I'm not saying its not stupid - it is, but its so stupid that you don't take offence to it. Its just nonsense to laugh off.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 11:03 AM
1. Would Lenny Hayes or Jimmy Bartel have been soft enough to be offended by this? Would they have run to Big Brother to protect them from big bad Will Minson? Would they have allowed their club to come out saying today that they are 'supporting them in this difficult time'? FFS, whatever Will said, Danyle needs to pull his head out and get out into the real world and see what a difficult time really is.

2. I've had it with bogan culture for a while, but it just flourishes in this game. I can't imagine a more ludicrously ironic situation than a Cornes WAG calling a noted intellectual (Will) an oxygen thief.

3. Will may be suspended, but it's Pearce that will be tarred with this for the rest of his career. Soft is worse than stupid.

To paraphrase whatever the hell it was that Will said, the AFL can go ******* itself.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Another question is would they have complained had they won the game?

Rocco Jones
19-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Fwiw my view- race, religion + family issues surrounding death, severe illness and word rape = no go. I understand AFL PR issues for anything 'lighter' but it needs to be transparent i.e. auto suspension/fine for any taunting about family. Right now it's just too unclear and massive sense of guessing punishments that fit.

Maddog37
19-06-2012, 11:21 AM
The umps lodged a complaint apparently anyway so it would have come out.

Isn't there a court ruling that if the statement is obviously not true and any reasonable person can see that then it is actually satire not slander. On the other hand if I am at work and some fella I don't like starts saying he has shagged my mum I would want some action taken.

The bright side of this is we get to see a young ruckman play first ruck and we now have a very healthy rivalry with Port.

Minno was just plain dumb, second time and of all teams it was Port again!!!!! Add this to Shermans little effort and we are getting a nasty reputation for better or worse.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Minno was just plain dumb, second time and of all teams it was Port again!!!!! Add this to Shermans little effort and we are getting a nasty reputation for better or worse.
Yes a racial sledge is the same as an obvious lie.

Murphy'sLore
19-06-2012, 11:29 AM
If Will said what it's alleged he said, then I think Danyle Pearce is an idiot for not shrugging it off. But I also think Will is an idiot for saying it, and I'm disappointed. This is not the kind of publicity we want for our club, particularly on top of the Sherman incident last year, it just makes the club look like a pack of bogans and I believe we're better than that.

Maddog37
19-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes a racial sledge is the same as an obvious lie.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is political correctness gone mad but no matter what was said by Minno or Sherman the end results have been a whole lot of bad publicity for the club.

Would you deny that Chops?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 11:36 AM
It really sums up Pearce well.
The softness shows in his general game.

This is a great article on "being offended".

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/guest-commentary/doug-stanhope-on-offensive-comedy-1.1083012

Honestly, walk it off princess.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Well if the AFL are going the moral highground,can they please stop the slander hiding under social networking by Girlfriends, Wives , Boyfriends(not that there's anything wrong with that)
Please!!!

Good point. They have stopped players and families of players betting on particular games involving that player why not ban families of players"tweeting" on games which are before the tribunal. The player can't tweet about particular games, reports and umpires. What is the difference? For all we know it is the player "hiding behind" his wife's comment.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think it is political correctness gone mad but no matter what was said by Minno or Sherman the end results have been a whole lot of bad publicity for the club.

Unfortunately true and it is something the Club doesn't need.

Maddog37
19-06-2012, 11:57 AM
It really sums up Pearce well.
The softness shows in his general game.

This is a great article on "being offended".

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/guest-commentary/doug-stanhope-on-offensive-comedy-1.1083012

Honestly, walk it off princess.

Good article but I am not sure Pearce paid to see the Will Minson show when he laced his boots up so it is a tenuous connection at best in my humble opinion.

DragzLS1
19-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Honestly no matter what he said about his mum they can harden up! Just an excuse to get in the media! If they cant handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen!

We are known to be a hard club that loves the hard stuff.. We aint no St Kilda or Port Adelaide that loves their fairy floss and gets offended when somebody tells them they dont like their knew hair cut. The media needs to get off it and start paying attention to the real issues! Like Wallis getting 29 disposals and being favourite for the rising star this year ;)

BulldogBelle
19-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Just saw on Twitter that the club has imposed a 1 week suspension on Will

BulldogBelle
19-06-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/138916/default.aspx

Minson accepts Club sanction

The Western Bulldogs today imposed a one match suspension on Will Minson for using insulting language in an exchange with Danyle Pearce, during Sunday's game against Port Adelaide.

In addition to the suspension, Minson will formally apologise to Pearce and the Port Adelaide Football Club and undertake education in line with the AFL’s Respect and Responsibility Policy.

"The Club has the highest of expectations when it comes to players' behaviour both on and off the field,” Bulldogs Chief Executive, Simon Garlick said today.

"While Will is genuinely remorseful for his actions - the Club will not tolerate the use of inappropriate and offensive comments, especially in regards to women”.

Minson said that he recognised his comments were inappropriate and offensive and accepted the sanction.

"I sincerely apologise for my comments and regret they have caused hurt and offense to Danyle, his family and the Port Adelaide Football Club,” Minson said today.

"I realise there are no excuses for my behaviour and I accept the sanction given to me by the Club”.

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Disappointed with that honestly. I guess his comments from 5 years ago came back and bit him on the bum though. If Lucy didn't have an axe to grind this wouldn't have even made the headlines.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Situation now done and dusted. Let's hope the Media and the WAGS of the world get the message.

Doc26
19-06-2012, 12:33 PM
The assassination of Will and his character by media is the most disappointing and frustrating aspect of this case and before any findings on the matter have been reached, that he is a serial offender, a recidivist, has form, that he must be condemned etc etc.

For example, M Rucci writes,
WESTERN Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson is being condemned by current and past players for taking sledging to a no-go zone - a rival's family.

AFL rivals yesterday described Minson as a serial sledgerand yet provides one reference from Brad Ebert and then from the same jock
Fellow Hall of Famer Robert Walls said: "Sledging family members is not acceptable. I don't like it. There are some things you can say but (family) is out of bounds."From Robert Walls of all people. Has the world gone mad.

It's all very well for the media puritans to condemn Will for his actions behind their battle regalia of a pen and paper but in his and Danyle's office the warfare is not only mentally demanding but physically intimidating and imposing. Lines will and do get crossed for fleeting moments in such a workplace.

Does anyone believe that Will would convey words or thoughts resembling what he has been alleged to have said outside of his weekend battleground ? Not a chance. What has been conveniently missed in all this tripe on his character is the other side of Will, that is, his ongoing work as a social advocate and ambassador. For those not familiar look up Red Dust Role Models and his work with the Club's chaplain, John Van Groningen.

Issues like these must and should be resolved through conciliation where possible rather than with a huge stick as the AFL and media would seem to prefer to wield to resolve such issues.

Please don't hang him out to dry in what likely was a few stupid and regretful words said in a pressure cooker environment that no AFL media expert like C Wilson, M Rucci, Hutchison, or P Smith would have any real appreciation of. The problem of course is that nothing sells more or generates more hits than controversy.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 12:42 PM
The assassination of Will and his character by media is the most disappointing and frustrating aspect of this case and before any findings on the matter have been reached, that he is a serial offender, a recidivist, has form, that he must be condemned etc etc.

For example, M Rucci writes, and yet provides one reference from Brad Ebert and then from the same jock From Robert Walls of all people. Has the world gone mad.

It's all very well for the media puritans to condemn Will for his actions behind their battle regalia of a pen and paper but in his and Danyle's office the warfare is not only mentally demanding but physically intimidating and imposing. Lines will and do get crossed for fleeting moments in such a workplace.

Does anyone believe that Will would convey words or thoughts resembling what he has been alleged to have said outside of his weekend battleground ? Not a chance. What has been conveniently missed in all this tripe on his character is the other side of Will, that is, his ongoing work as a social advocate and ambassador. For those not familiar look up Red Dust Role Models and his work with the Club's chaplain, John Van Groningen.

Issues like these must be resolved through conciliation where possible rather than with a huge stick as the AFL and media would seem to prefer to wield to resolve an issue.

Please don't hang him out to dry in what likely was a few stupid and regretful words said in a pressure cooker environment that no AFL media expert like C Wilson, M Rucci, Hutchison, or P Smith would have any real appreciation of.

Don't start me on P Smith. One time captain of Prahran Cricket Club and who, during a tough game against St Kilda called for valium to get him through it.

Soft as butter!!

By the way, excellent post.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Does anyone believe that Will would convey words or thoughts resembling what he has been alleged to have said outside of his weekend battleground ?

Well it obviously is floating around in his brain somewhere

Put up your hand if you now suspect that Sherman is or was a Racist? I do.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Good article but I am not sure Pearce paid to see the Will Minson show when he laced his boots up so it is a tenuous connection at best in my humble opinion.

Oh it applies.
It applies to everyday life, let alone on the football field.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 01:33 PM

The end result isn't the same. 1 week compared to 4. Sherman was seen as an obvious idiot while Will said something silly.
The club can defend Will while they couldnt to Sherman.

Topdog
19-06-2012, 01:33 PM

I heard about Minno's week suspension about 15 minutes ago and these were exactly my first thoughts. The AFL and the Bulldogs have lost me.

GVGjr
19-06-2012, 01:36 PM
The reporting of this is BS.
Minson's sledge against Pearce's mum?
Well the sledge is on Pearce not his mum. If he is bragging abour sleeping with his mum then I would think it was consential.

Are you trying to look for loopholes? After the McGinnty suspension and his own poor comment to Kane Cornes he simply shouldn't have been mouthing off. I'm not sure why so many are condoning it.

GVGjr
19-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Guys, I have cleaned up a few posts. Please do not speculate on what else might have been said.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Guilty of being brainless and that's about it.

G-Mo77
19-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Are you trying to look for loopholes? After the McGinnty suspension and his own poor comment to Kane Cornes he simply shouldn't have been mouthing off. I'm not sure why so many are condoning it.

The comment was stupid and childish and that's it. Comments like this and worse would happen many times in 1 game alone. Maybe I'm old fashioned but ignoring or just stepping up a gear to rub it in your opponents face would be a better retort than lashing out at a Mumma joke. I do agree with the prior comments to Kane being his downfall, had nothing happened back then this would not have even been a headline and Will would have been lining up against Huddo Saturday.

I guess this is the world we live in now.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 01:50 PM

No one has condoned it.
It was silly and obviously just sledging.
I don't see how a personal sledge is ok but one that's obviously a lie against your mum is wrong.
Calling someone crap could hurt more.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 01:57 PM
So now we don't get to see the the apprentice line up against his master. That would've been a great battle. Hudson is a great one for on-field sledging. His mouth almost never stops moving during a game. Maybe he needs to run classes on what is appropriate or not as he hasn't been in trouble before... or has he????

Topdog
19-06-2012, 02:16 PM
So now we don't get to see the the apprentice line up against his master. That would've been a great battle. Hudson is a great one for on-field sledging. His mouth almost never stops moving during a game. Maybe he needs to run classes on what is appropriate or not as he hasn't been in trouble before... or has he????

Haha Huddo certainly crosses the line of appropriateness. His sledges in Canberra can be heard by all and some of them were far worse than what Wil is alleged to have said.

bornadog
19-06-2012, 02:16 PM

I am won't be putting up my hand. I just think he did a stupid thing and that is one area where sledging is a no go zone.

Mantis
19-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Pearce should've taken the comment as a compliment.

According to my better half, Will is a bit of alright and is up near the top of her 'free hit' list.

bornadog
19-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Well once more the Club has towed the line and has done what the AFL asked it to do, even though yesterday there were reports that Minson thought what he said was different than what Pearce thought he said. I am sure if you ask Minson in private, he would say he did nothing wrong and that sledging happens all the time.

We move on and another player now gets the opportunity to get a game.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Just noticed an article got pulled from the afl website real quick in regards to Jesse Stringer and the cats "pondering" punishment.
Ha!
This is going to be hilarious.

http://i.imgur.com/78kYt.jpg

Scraggers
19-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Very dissappointed with this outcome ... I was really looking forward to Minson v The Beard.

SlimPickens
19-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I know a precedent has been set but gee whiz this gives me the shits. Will would be shattered I miss a week I'd imagine.

bornadog
19-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I know a precedent has been set but gee whiz this gives me the shits. Will would be shattered I miss a week I'd imagine.

Should have copped a fine if he had to be punished, but missing a week for sledging gee.:mad:

hujsh
19-06-2012, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/78kYt.jpg

That about sums it up best

Maddog37
19-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Don't hate the game, hate the player. Port is my new favorite team to dislike after this soft bullshit.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I've felt like this for a while.

My pup loves the Storm and I've been to a few games now, I'm enjoying it more than footy.

Whilst I don't condone sledging, I guess I thought it still went on, and the players just took it on the chin, as they have done for many years.

For many reasons, I am feeling the same about AFL at the minute, and much prefer to watch Storm! Sad but true!

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Who is at fault here?

Minson sledges Pearce in the heat of battle. Once upon a time, that's where it would have finished.

Pearce and Ebert, rather than dealing with this on the ground, make the matter public through the Twit of Lucy Cornes. The great man Graham Cornes supported by his mate Rucci jumo in and splash it everywhere.

Now the whole world knows what went on and many people are offended.

Who made the comment known to the offended?

Not Minson.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Made this: http://i.imgur.com/2RMPu.jpg

Ozza
19-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Really disappointed that the club hasn't gotten behind Will.

The club had the opportunity to back their player - but they rolled over. I can't believe the club has dished out a 'club suspension'.....we're playing for premiership points aren't we?

Doc26
19-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Really disappointed that the club hasn't gotten behind Will.

The club had the opportunity to back their player - but they rolled over. I can't believe the club has dished out a 'club suspension'.....we're playing for premiership points aren't we?

Ozza, the Club may have felt it appropriate to get on the front foot and pass down a penalty before the AFL are ready to pass down its own judgement. Tactically not a bad move with the way the wind is blowing with this.

hujsh
19-06-2012, 04:02 PM

To be fair I don't believe the AFL should punish someone until the legal process has concluded unless it is fact that that player has done something punishable eg the Geelong player carrying drugs.

As for Minson I will not accept this unless it turns out there was more to the story than we know. Otherwise the club is just going on previous form of rolling over, like the good doggies we are, for our AFL masters.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 04:08 PM
You are correct.
I'm just angry.
The Josh Hunt one has been used a few times too.

Topdog
19-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Ozza, the Club may have felt it appropriate to get on the front foot and pass down a penalty before the AFL are ready to pass down its own judgement. Tactically not a bad move with the way the wind is blowing with this.

It's a weak move so it is very unsurprising that it is the move the Bulldogs made

Mantis
19-06-2012, 04:22 PM

So we just cop it everytime the wind is blowing from the wrong direction?

We must only be trying to build a 'contested style' team on the ground and not off it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2012, 04:32 PM
It's a weak move so it is very unsurprising that it is the move the Bulldogs made

I am with Doc26 on this one. The Club has seized the initiative away from the media frenzy and AFL by imposing a week's suspension. Will has shouldered the rucking responsibilities for long periods this year and the rest will do him good. Also a great opportunity to blood Campbell against a similarly placed Brisbane Lions team if they decide to elevate him from the rookie list. Roughead has been used sparingly in the ruck this year and hopefully the added responsibility will work in his favour. Minson will also be spent mentally and emotionally at the moment given the media outburst and needs to be freshened up.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 04:33 PM

This.

I've actually just about had enough. I'm sick of being the laughing stock of the competition. This started off with Minson denying that was being reported, which was backed up by Picken. Then the AFL step in and we bend over and take it quicker than Daniel Pearce's mum did the other night. Seriously... what a piss weak club we have become.

Angry.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2012, 04:40 PM
This.

I've actually just about had enough. I'm sick of being the laughing stock of the competition. This started off with Minson denying that was being reported, which was backed up by Picken. Then the AFL step in and we bend over and take it quicker than Daniel Pearce's mum did the other night. Seriously... what a piss weak club we have become.

Angry.

I can fully understand your frustrations but I think the club would be happy to cop a week,
rather than run the risk of a stiffer penalty.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Will Minson accepted the penalty.Minson said that he recognised his comments were inappropriate and offensive and accepted the sanction.

"I sincerely apologise for my comments and regret they have caused hurt and offense to Danyle, his family and the Port Adelaide Football Club,” Minson said today.

"I realise there are no excuses for my behaviour and I accept the sanction given to me by the Club”.

If Will thought he didn't deserve the week's penalty I would think that he would be intelligent enough and brave enoughnotto accept the week. So we shouldn't blame our Club. Besides that a precedent had been set by McGinty's outburst. I for one applaud the Club for getting on the front foot in this matter. Case closed.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Will Minson accepted the penalty.Minson said that he recognised his comments were inappropriate and offensive and accepted the sanction.

If Will thought he didn't deserve the week's penalty I would think that he would be intelligent enough and brave enoughnotto accept the week. So we shouldn't blame our Club. Besides that a precedent had been set by McGinty's outburst. I for one applaud the Club for getting on the front foot in this matter. Case closed.

You serious? Will Minson was railroaded - the club rolled over and did whatever the AFL told it to do. I am disgusted at the way the club has treated Will, and I will be boycotting the Brisbane game as a show of my anger. I have also written to the club to let them know of my anger.

I doubt Will Minson will remain at the Bulldogs beyond this year - I hope, for his sake, that he finds a club that stands by him.

hujsh
19-06-2012, 04:52 PM

I would be surprised if the club wanted Minson to accept one week and he said no. I think the club decided the best option for them was to give Minson a week, ask him to apologize and let this thing blow over while hopefully looking like good, upstanding, moral people for doing so.

I feel Minson is a scapegoat to minimize the blowback onto the club.

chef
19-06-2012, 04:56 PM
He has only himself to blame as all players know that comments of this nature will lead to a suspension. And really is there any need for him to say what he said, very tasteless IMO and there would be 1000's of other insults he could have used if he gave it a bit more thought..

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I would be surprised if the club wanted Minson to accept one week and he said no. I think the club decided the best option for them was to give Minson a week, ask him to apologize and let this thing blow over while hopefully looking like good, upstanding, moral people for doing so.

I feel Minson is a scapegoat to minimize the blowback onto the club.

That is your opinion and fair enough. Fact is Will accepted the penalty. I've always preferred facts over opinions.

always right
19-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Can't believe some of the over the top responses here. Regardless of what people on this board think about sledging, the fact is it's not the first time Will has "crossed the line". After he copped a warning for the Cornes incident the AFL and the club really had nowhere to go. He simply couldn't just receive another warning. One week is probably the best outcome we could have hoped for.

The club has signed up for the AFL's respect and responsibility code as have the players. Short of denying Will said anything that breached the code, what did anyone expect them to do? They've taken the smart approach and should not be pilloried for it.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 05:05 PM
You serious? Will Minson was railroaded - the club rolled over and did whatever the AFL told it to do. I am disgusted at the way the club has treated Will, and I will be boycotting the Brisbane game as a show of my anger. I have also written to the club to let them know of my anger.

I doubt Will Minson will remain at the Bulldogs beyond this year - I hope, for his sake, that he finds a club that stands by him.

Yes I'm serious. You're going to miss a good match.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2012, 05:05 PM
He has only himself to blame as all players know that comments of this nature will lead to a suspension. And really is there any need for him to say what he said, very tasteless IMO and there would be 1000's of other insults he could have used if he gave it a bit more thought..

Can't believe some of the over the top responses here. Regardless of what people on this board think about sledging, the fact is it's not the first time Will has "crossed the line". After he copped a warning for the Cornes incident the AFL and the club really had nowhere to go. He simply couldn't just receive another warning. One week is probably the best outcome we could have hoped for.

The club has signed up for the AFL's respect and responsibility code as have the players. Short of denying Will said anything that breached the code, what did anyone expect them to do? They've taken the smart approach and should not be pilloried for it.

This is just another version of the 'hands in the back' rule.

If you look closely, you can just see him touch the opponents back just there ...

And let's not worry about the other 150 times a game it happens.

chef
19-06-2012, 05:08 PM
This is just another version of the 'hands in the back' rule.

If you look closely, you can just see him touch the opponents back just there ...

And let's not worry about the other 150 times a game it happens.

This is probably the first time that this has been said(the R word) since McGinity got suspended. Everyone knew that there was a line in the sand but Willie still stepped over it.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 05:10 PM
You'd have to be naive to think this is the first time it's happened since then.
It's just the first time someone's complained.
One thing's for sure, Pearce is going to get sledged a whole lot more from now on.

always right
19-06-2012, 05:16 PM
You'd have to be naive to think this is the first time it's happened since then.
It's just the first time someone's complained.
One thing's for sure, Pearce is going to get sledged a whole lot more from now on.

Certainly not the first time players have been sledged since McGinnity. The suggestion here is that the sledge went too far and there is no-one on this board who can categorically say it didn't.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I get really irritated by the "Kool Aid" supporters who blindly support everything the club does without thinking. There comes a time when you have to walk on your own two feet and grow a pair - the club has hung Will out to dry over a trivial matter, to save face for the club. It has a history of doing this (Akermanis anyone?). The club needs to stop being the AFL's servant, and stand up for itself. The current administration is weak and does whatever the AFL asks of it. Do I want to be at the game this weekend? Yes. But the club needs to understand that its actions are wrong, and it needs to show more support for its players.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I get really irritated by the "Kool Aid" supporters who blindly support everything the club does without thinking. There comes a time when you have to walk on your own two feet and grow a pair - the club has hung Will out to dry over a trivial matter, to save face for the club. It has a history of doing this (Akermanis anyone?). The club needs to stop being the AFL's servant, and stand up for itself. The current administration is weak and does whatever the AFL asks of it. Do I want to be at the game this weekend? Yes. But the club needs to understand that its actions are wrong, and it needs to show more support for its players.

You are entitled to your opinion about Will but Akermanis. To use your words" Are you serious?"

always right
19-06-2012, 05:21 PM

I get really irritated by ill-informed supporters who want the club to take a stand when it is actually possible that the player is in the wrong. It's simple.....if Minson doesn't think the club has supported him he will seek to leave at the end of the year.

Mantis
19-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I am with Doc26 on this one. The Club has seized the initiative away from the media frenzy and AFL by imposing a week's suspension. Will has shouldered the rucking responsibilities for long periods this year and the rest will do him good. Also a great opportunity to blood Campbell against a similarly placed Brisbane Lions team if they decide to elevate him from the rookie list. Roughead has been used sparingly in the ruck this year and hopefully the added responsibility will work in his favour. Minson will also be spent mentally and emotionally at the moment given the media outburst and needs to be freshened up.

1. Really? We had the bye a week ago.

2. Really? The best thing to with an issue like this is to carry on... Suspending just brings more un-wanted attention.

chef
19-06-2012, 05:29 PM
You'd have to be naive to think this is the first time it's happened since then.It's just the first time someone's complained.

I was talking about the R word, which players have been advised is a no go zone.

always right
19-06-2012, 05:34 PM
1. Really? We had the bye a week ago.

2. Really? The best thing to with an issue like this is to carry on... Suspending just brings more un-wanted attention.

Just curious Mantis....how would missing a match bring more unwanted attention than running out this Saturday with the issue still fresh in the media?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Pierce should be suspended for being a weak dumb prick and told by his club to get a kick when being tagged

Mantis
19-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Just curious Mantis....how would missing a match bring more unwanted attention than running out this Saturday with the issue still fresh in the media?

Because when he does return the circus will continue... If he played this week it would be forgotten about by next Monday.

It will now be brought up in the lead up to our game vs Essendon.

hujsh
19-06-2012, 05:45 PM
This is probably the first time that this has been said(the R word) since McGinity got suspended. Everyone knew that there was a line in the sand but Willie still stepped over it.

Sorry, has Minson been accused of claiming he raped Pearce's mother? The I tried to google for any article or statement that claimed this and the only relevant hits were Bigfooty posts.

As far as i can tell the alllegations are that he used "insulting language (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/138916/default.aspx)" (:rolleyes:) and that he mentioned Pearce's mother as "insulting a player's family is just not acceptable (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138962/default.aspx)" apparently.

Ghost Dog
19-06-2012, 05:45 PM
What would Charlie Sutton have said about this malady?

Remi Moses
19-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Akermanis
Two Clubs No Mates, End Of.
Minson crossed the line, no doubt.What annoys the bejesus out of me is the double standards.
One hand words are offensive , but anything on social network is okay.
The condoning of Ballantyne being punched( it's okay cos he deserved it!)
The Ablett crawley affair( where it's okay to slander a fellow player) players wives slandering players. Pretty sure trouble would ensure if my wife slandered an employee in my workplace!

Bulldog Joe
19-06-2012, 05:51 PM
So we just cop it everytime the wind is blowing from the wrong direction?

We must only be trying to build a 'contested style' team on the ground and not off it.

Certainly no hard ball get by the administration.

Ghost Dog
19-06-2012, 05:52 PM

So basically, his biggest crime is simple lack of originality. MINSON lift your sledging creativitu!

The Pie Man
19-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Agreed

The Pie Man
19-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Because when he does return the circus will continue... If he played this week it would be forgotten about by next Monday.

It will now be brought up in the lead up to our game vs Essendon.

It would have anyway (been brought up this week should he have played) and had we not acted, the negative commentary would've carried on through this week and potentially beyond

Can't agree Mantis (which is rare for me with your posts)

Just hope they/we can just put this behind us now.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 06:05 PM
It's simple.....if Minson doesn't think the club has supported him he will seek to leave at the end of the year.

Yes, we are the club that can afford to have all our good players walk out on us. And we are also the club that has always been so good to our list that none of our champions ever leaves us. Oh yes, we are also the club that never loses anyone to expansion clubs. Also, yes, we are the club that has enough money to throw at our players to ensure that we'll win any bidding war.

It's a good thing you're not in charge of list management because we would have no good players left. Oh wait.

No one wants to play for a club that just rolls over every time the AFL says boo. Call it a long bow, but I see a direct correlation between being the trying too hard to please runt of the competition and 60 farking years without a flag.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes, we are the club that can afford to have all our good players walk out on us. And we are also the club that has always been so good to our list that none of our champions ever leaves us. Oh yes, we are also the club that never loses anyone to expansion clubs. Also, yes, we are the club that has enough money to throw at our players to ensure that we'll win any bidding war.

It's a good thing you're not in charge of list management because we would have no good players left. Oh wait.

No one wants to play for a club that just rolls over every time the AFL says boo. Call it a long bow, but I see a direct correlation between being the trying too hard to please runt of the competition and 60 farking years without a flag.

I think Lantern that you and the others, who are bagging the club, should see Will's press conference/apology where he noticeably chokes up. He is deeply sorry and admitted he was in the wrong. The Club acted accordingly.

bornadog
19-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Certainly not the first time players have been sledged since McGinnity. The suggestion here is that the sledge went too far and there is no-one on this board who can categorically say it didn't.

So no one has ever stepped over this so called line till now.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Of course Will will be gone at the end of the season. List managers all over the country looking for a ruckman can't believe their luck and his manager is laughing all the way to the bank.

Your club is going nowhere, it can't hang on to its best young players, and you just got hung out to dry for a sledge. Hawthorn or another flag challenger come knocking on your door with more money and a chance of winning something. Why the hell would you stay?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I was talking about the R word, which players have been advised is a no go zone.

Who said it was the r word?

bornadog
19-06-2012, 06:17 PM
The club needs to stop being the AFL's servant, and stand up for itself. The current administration is weak and does whatever the AFL asks of it.

This^^^

Its not just this situation but many others. Think back to Chris Grant being suspended in 1997. Why didn't we take this to court and fight it, we just rolled over and Chris missed the Brownlow.

jazzadogs
19-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I love and respect my mum, but if someone made a comment about her on the football field I would just laugh at them. They don't know her. There is no truth to what they're saying.

The whole point of a sledge is to get inside the opponent's head. No wonder Danyle Pearce cant handle a tag, when he's so mentally weak he gets upset by a comment about his mum, by a man who clearly has never been involved with her.

The club did the right thing, given the AFL and media have gone with the more controversial story and condemned Will, but i find it all ridiculous.

WBFC4FFC
19-06-2012, 06:30 PM
All the actions of the AFL (which imposed it on the Bullies admin) and including the dumb precedent of McGinnity getting suspended a week last year prove is that if you are a mentally weak and average footballer who has a squeal, you will get your way!

I thought the Sherman situation was handled perfectly last year by all the parties involved. This time around, it is trial-by-media. How did it get out there?!?! I thought these matters were dealt with privately and if so, I seriously doubt a suspension would have been the outcome, given what was allegedly said.

Where do we draw the line? Seriously? I get upset if someone has a go at people from the western suburbs but can I then claim I was emotionally distraght and hence, the reason I retaliated physically?

SonofScray
19-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Western Bulldogs continue to take it up the butt from all and sundry, perhaps Danyle Pearce's mother could be our next President?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I think Lantern that you and the others, who are bagging the club, should see Will's press conference/apology where he noticeably chokes up. He is deeply sorry and admitted he was in the wrong. The Club acted accordingly.

Very good. I hope the club feels good about itself.

Meanwhile, the administration can stop wondering once and for all why we are hemorrhaging members and supporters at a time that every other Victorian club's membership numbers are rising.

The club, in its eagerness to please Big Brother, forgets far too easily that we are the reason the club exists. Not the AFL, not the players. We walk, it folds -- as simple as that. It doesn't matter what you think of Eddie, he never forgets that, so he's happy to piss everyone off to ensure that Collingwood fans and members are happy, and with that simple philosophy, turned around a basketcase and mobilised a massive dormant following. If you were a dormant Dogs supporter, why in the hell would you want to put your money with an organisation that stands for nothing except being pissweak?

SonofScray
19-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Meanwhile, the administration can stop wondering once and for all why we are hemorrhaging members and supporters at a time that every other Victorian club's membership numbers are rising.

The club, in its eagerness to please Big Brother, forgets far too easily that we are the reason the club exists. Not the AFL, not the players. We walk, it folds -- as simple as that. It doesn't matter what you think of Eddie, he never forgets that, so he's happy to piss everyone off to ensure that Collingwood fans and members are happy, and with that simple philosophy, turned around a basketcase and mobilised a massive dormant following. If you were a dormant Dogs supporter, why in the hell would you want to put your money with an organisation that stands for nothing except being pissweak?

Agree with this 100%

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 06:50 PM

Wrong. Eddie...Collingwood...have suspended their own players in Sharrod Wellingham, Alan Didak & Heath Shaw. He didn't ensure that the Collingwood fans were happy. In fact with the Shaw & Didak suspensions the Collingwood fans were ropeable.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2012, 06:51 PM

This.

We rolled over like a dog because the AFL pushed us onto our back. Instead of standing up for ourselves and our employee, we condemned him and proved to the world we are a basket case.

Why didn't we take a shot at all these morons trying to run Minson into the ground? Scarlett is an angel? Lucy an intellectual beast? We let the world, and Port Adelaide, run Minson's name into the mud and that infuriates me.

By us saying nothing, all we did was side ourselves with them in pointing the finger at Minson and labelling him a terrible person.

No doubting we are piss weak when it comes to these off the field issues.

mjp
19-06-2012, 06:52 PM
It doesn't matter what you think of Eddie, he never forgets that, so he's happy to piss everyone off to ensure that Collingwood fans and members are happy, and with that simple philosophy, turned around a basketcase and mobilised a massive dormant following.

...like suspending Shaw and Didak throughout a finals series? Pretty certain the members weren't too pleased about that one.

Anyone who watched the game and the reaction from Danyle Pearce knew Minson had done the wrong thing. At the time I assumed he had used some type of racial taunt which turned out to be incorrect...He should have kept his mouth shut and had let his team-mates, the footy club and the supporters down.

As to 'bowing to the AFL', just because the masses are screaming 'blood' doesn't mean you should give it to them.

strebla
19-06-2012, 06:58 PM
An open letter to everyone I ever played cricket against I am sorry for asking if your mum found my watch under the bed or to remind you that your girl said you are out of milk,or bed springs need oil as i kept your neighbours up all night. Are you all serious its called a sledge because thats ALL it is its not called being honest its sledging!!!! oh and I love your new cereal by the way!!!!

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 07:04 PM
...like suspending Shaw and Didak throughout a finals series? Pretty certain the members weren't too pleased about that one.

Fifteen years, 3 grannies, a flag and 100,000 members later, Eddie can do whatever he likes.

Also, Eddie's not stupid -- it was borderline illegal what Shaw did (in some extreme cases, soccer players have done time in Europe for similar gambling offences) and the club couldn't suspend him fast enough to ensure it didn't go too much further.

I also notice that Collingwood decided on an arbitrary number of weeks (with some arbitrary number of weeks of that suspension suspended) that made sure he got back in time for the Prelim and Grannie.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 07:07 PM
ps. Patrick Smith and KB were calling for a $50,000 fine for Will. As a comparison, Maxwell got $10,000 and Shaw $20,000 for borderline match-fixing.

The world has gone mad.

Greystache
19-06-2012, 07:09 PM
We need to have a club imposed blanket no teasing rule, that also should include no hair pulling, and no talking about people behind their back. Any breaking of these rules should be punished with detention, a one match suspension, or some time on the naughty chair.

We as a club need to be more concerned with the feelings of people who are sensitive.

This should include changing our best and fairest award to a participation award whereby every player gets a small trophy, it's not fair on the players who attend on the night and don't win anything, it could have a negative long term effect on their sense of self worth.

Greystache
19-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Anyone who watched the game and the reaction from Danyle Pearce knew Minson had done the wrong thing. At the time I assumed he had used some type of racial taunt which turned out to be incorrect...He should have kept his mouth shut and had let his team-mates, the footy club and the supporters down.

As to 'bowing to the AFL', just because the masses are screaming 'blood' doesn't mean you should give it to them.

Which he only did because they lied to him and made him look like a complete and utter dickhead on national TV. He had absolutely no intention of suspending them to that point. Unfortunately for Didak and Shaw the only thing Eddie cares about more than Collingwood's members wishes are his own public image.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Which he only did because they lied to him and made him look like a complete and utter dickhead on national TV. He had absolutely no intention of suspending them to that point. Unfortunately for Didak and Shaw the only thing Eddie cares about more than Collingwood's members wishes are his own public image.

Tache you and Lantern conveniently forgot about Collingwood suspending Wellingham for 2 matches. He missed a rehab session. Collingwood didn't worry about hurting their members feelings by suspending Wellingham nor should our Club worry about upsetting a few supporters on a forum by suspending Will.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Thread has been interesting (and generally funny).

I find the "mother comment" generally soft and I think Pearce needs a spoonful of cement.

Its a "Mum Joke" its not like its the most ground-breaking shocking insult to be thrown around. Milne called Joseph a "Weak C---" the other week when he took his eyes off the ball. That didn't get mention (but sure did get picked up on the umps mic)

An insult is an insult. Yes Racism goes the step further but for mine a "Mum Joke" should stay in the insult category on the field and not off it.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 08:09 PM

My hand is down. He's not the sharpest knife in the draw, but I don't think he's racist.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 08:11 PM
The comment was stupid and childish and that's it. Comments like this and worse would happen many times in 1 game alone. Maybe I'm old fashioned but ignoring or just stepping up a gear to rub it in your opponents face would be a better retort than lashing out at a Mumma joke. I do agree with the prior comments to Kane being his downfall, had nothing happened back then this would not have even been a headline and Will would have been lining up against Huddo Saturday.
Good post.

I guess this is the world we live in now.

And doesn't it suck?

GVGjr
19-06-2012, 08:12 PM
I've just viewed Will's response and I have a greater appreciation for him off the field. I thought his response was sincere and he clearly only blames himself and genuinely wants to make amends to Danyle Pearce and his family.

He had made a mistake or two along the way but I think he is a great bloke at the club.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Hope you don't mind, I'm 'borrowing' that. Good job.

I hope you don't take offence at my borrowing it before asking for and receiving permission! ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I've just viewed Will's response and I have a greater appreciation for him off the field. I thought his response was sincere and he clearly only blames himself and genuinely wants to make amends to Danyle Pearce and his family.

He had made a mistake or two along the way but I think he is a great bloke at the club.

I agree, but it's not as though the club has made any point of this and that's what makes me frustrated.

We've allowed every player, family member, journalist, cat, dog and bird to voice their opinion on how Minson is a "serial" sledger, an all-round bad guy etc etc.

We haven't defended his character at all, and on the back of what? A silly mistake that has been widely blown out of proportion because Pearce is mentally soft. (Maybe that reads harsh to some, but let's face it, Pearce can't cope with hard tags let alone sledging).

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Hope you don't mind, I'm 'borrowing' that. Good job.

I hope you don't take offence at my borrowing it before asking for and receiving permission! ;)

Go for it good sir.

SonofScray
19-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Half agree.

Most of that to me seemed like Fantasia and our spin doctor's had a hand up his backside in much the same way they are AFL puppets.

However, he is not stupid, Will know how to handle himself and gave a measured, respectable response. Should be enough to keep hem off his back. The media were a ravenous pack of snakes and he dealt with them well.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Will has apologised for 'inappropriate comments' but no one has actually confirmed he said the above. To me, his presser was as scripted as they come.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Or that it did. We can choose to believe Port/Pearce/ or *GULP* Lucy Cornes.... OR... one of our own. Unless I hear different and it's confirmed, I'm siding with Will.

hujsh
19-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Or that it did. We can choose to believe Port/Pearce/ or *GULP* Lucy Cornes.... OR... one of our own. Unless I hear different and it's confirmed, I'm siding with Will.

Two including Picken.

I've been a big supporter of Minson and even when he was struggling I've wanted to see him do well, even more so than a fair few other players, but now I wouldn't begrudge him leaving. The most disillusioned I've been towards the club in general in my comparatively short time supporting them.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 08:58 PM
I can't really contribute much new material to this thread.

I just want to apologise to anyone in my life who I have ever said something that was nasty, or that could be construed as being nasty, even if I didn't intend it to be nasty. I especially want to mention my two older brothers, who I don't really hate, even though a number of times I have said I did. I would like to make special mention of the people I have faced off against in basketball competitions over the years, particularly the ones whose feelings I hurt when I said they were shit, or those to whom I gave my optometrists' phone number - not his real one- as a way of inferring that their aim in shooting wasn't very good. I have made a number of references to the aesthetic appeal (or lack thereof) of many players, and truth be told, only a few of them could genuinely be considered ugly. And to those ones, I am sorry.

Now, I'm off to buy a brand new set of grapefruits. :eek: Gee, this being nice to everyone and never daring to say an ill-word is really quite refreshing isn't it. I should tell Whitten Oval and AFL House.

immortalmike
19-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Seriously! A club imposed 1 match suspension for a "your mum" joke. Seriously? Piss weak!
What ever happened to a club rallying around its player and backing them up? The worst thing is that we allowed them all to slander and character assassinate Wil from the sidelines, without any balance. Wil is twice the person (check out his work, in his spare time I might add, with the Red Dust foundation) any of the so called moral crusaders who have had him hung drawn and quartered over a joke 90% of young males have used before.

I've lost alot of respect for our club, it's board, Simon Garlick, David Smorgon and James Fantasia. They certainly no longer represent me as a member...

Ghost Dog
19-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Tonight, Cassisi reckons the worst things he has ever heard come out of a player's mouth in ten years of footy are the two sledges courtesy of Will Minson. Not a great endorsement. IMO, foolishness. No game is worth winning if that's what you feel you have to say to other players ( if the R word was used )

I took a group including ten rather voluptuous South American girls at the footy who selected Will as their ' Alpha male' They were all chanting' 27! we love you'. Maybe it went to his head.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Tonight, Cassisi reckons the worst things he has ever heard come out of a player's mouth in ten years of footy are the two sledges courtesy of Will Minson.
So he says he was a witness to both?

SonofScray
19-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Seriously! A club imposed 1 match suspension for a "your mum" joke. Seriously? Piss weak!
What ever happened to a club rallying around its player and backing them up? The worst thing is that we allowed them all to slander and character assassinate Wil from the sidelines, without any balance. Wil is twice the person (check out his work, in his spare time I might add, with the Red Dust foundation) any of the so called moral crusaders who have had him hung drawn and quartered over a joke 90% of young males have used before.

I've lost alot of respect for our club, it's board, Simon Garlick, David Smorgon and James Fantasia. They certainly no longer represent me as a member...

Sums up my view totally. Honestly, I am flabbergasted and too fired up to make any further sense. The whole thing is a poor reflection on the world.

I just want someone in the thick of it to buck the trend and just be authentic.

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 10:12 PM
So Picken is to be punished for lying too?

LostDoggy
19-06-2012, 10:13 PM
What gets me is this "there is a line" bull sh&t.
Minson said something (that we all agree), Pearce was offended (that we all know). The "line" rests with what the player in question finds offensive, doesn't it?
So to me the blanket "line" is all or nothing. Either everyone sack up and cop whatever is said to you, or Any player found talking to an opposition player will be fined / suspended.

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 10:19 PM
What gets me is this "there is a line" bull sh&t.
Minson said something (that we all agree), Pearce was offended (that we all know). The "line" rests with what the player in question finds offensive, doesn't it?
So to me the blanket "line" is all or nothing. Either everyone sack up and cop whatever is said to you, or Any player found talking to an opposition player will be fined / suspended.

In my basketball comp a few years back, they tried to implement a 'no talking at all to the refs or opponents" rule, supposedly in order to combat the ever-increasing nastiness. It didn't work.

Grantysghost
19-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Hard to believe a week for that..... The righteous commentators are making me gag! Even Cameron Mooney came out and bagged big Will. No no its far more appropriate and controlled to physically assault the opposition when you lose control Cameron isn't it!?

As for the Cornes'..... Graham thought Brett Montgomery's sledging of a cancer patient was "witty". Cassisi was playing then too from memory, he must have forgotten that one.

Desipura
19-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Tonight, Cassisi reckons the worst things he has ever heard come out of a player's mouth in ten years of footy are the two sledges courtesy of Will Minson. Not a great endorsement. IMO, foolishness. No game is worth winning if that's what you feel you have to say to other players ( if the R word was used )

I took a group including ten rather voluptuous South American girls at the footy who selected Will as their ' Alpha male' They were all chanting' 27! we love you'. Maybe it went to his head.

Next time you take ten voluptuous sth American girls to the footy, do you want to pm me? ;)

AndrewP6
19-06-2012, 11:11 PM

Next time you take ten voluptuous sth American girls to the footy, do you want to pm me? ;)

I think this should've been a WOOF group...

Ghost Dog
19-06-2012, 11:16 PM

You're on! This bunch are always looking to improve their English. Or...find a visa sponsor :D
We were hosted by the Bulldogs Engagement Program and cannot speak highly enough of their team. Very generous.

immortalmike
19-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I think this should've been a WOOF group...

I fully endorse this post.

Sedat
19-06-2012, 11:45 PM
No doubting we are piss weak when it comes to these off the field issues.This has been par for the course for a number of years now. We are anything but a robust administration.

I'm not even fussed by the action taken against Will - he does have priors and it was unnecessary by him to engage in such activity. But I can't cop our admin being complicit in burning his reputation at the stake and allowing all and sundry to air their vitriol. Matty Scarlett FFS - the same bloke who Robert Harvey refused to shake hands with after a final in 2008, suh was the level of sledging engaged by him at the time. Kane Cornes - the bloke who makes derisive comments about the death of Will's father. Port Adelaide - the indignant, scorned, agggreived club who had a player pot Rama and his chemo treatment and laughed it off at the time. It shits me no end that our admin cowtow to city hall in some desperate and futile attempt to 'appease sponsors and stakeholders'. Minson has spilt blood for the club over 10 years and we are seemingly happy to arsehole him overnight - he deserved so much more from his club in his hour of need today. We truly are weak as piss off the field and have been for a long time.

bornadog
19-06-2012, 11:48 PM

Rocket said the same thing on Fox Footy

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Tache you and Lantern conveniently forgot about Collingwood suspending Wellingham for 2 matches. He missed a rehab session. Collingwood didn't worry about hurting their members feelings by suspending Wellingham nor should our Club worry about upsetting a few supporters on a forum by suspending Will.

Apples and oranges. Suspending players because they break YOUR OWN team rules is one thing, failing to defend them from all and sundry is another thing altogether. Supporters love it when their club takes a strong stance on a player who breaks team rules. Not so much when they are tried, hung and quartered by every half-wit who lives within five metres an AFL sanctioned microphone and you just meekly agree.

You think Eddie would have suspended Wellingham because of a complaint from Will Minson or Liam Picken? Dreaming.

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Rocket said the same thing on Fox Footy

Yet the glorious Adelaide media chose to edit out where rocket said he was a good bloke. The whole Cornes reaction sickens me. It's a sign of a weak argument when you have to bring up something from 4 years ago. Serial? When is twice in a ten year career serial?

Across all sports, from teenagers to masters, sledging with a reference to your mum has been a part of life for centuries. It simply stays on the field. Weak as p...water.

I would have preferred the club to stand by Will but perhaps it was time for a ruck rotation anyway.

I have loved Wills endeavor and intensity, I hope he doesn't take too much of a back step after this.

Topdog
20-06-2012, 12:49 AM

good thing Minson didn't go there

chef
20-06-2012, 08:35 AM
good thing Minson didn't go there

Fair enough.

Wonder what he said then as he wouldn't have got a week for saying 'I f##### your mum last night'.

Sockeye Salmon
20-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Fair enough.

Wonder what he said then as he wouldn't have got a week for saying 'I f##### your mum last night'.

That's exactly why he got a week. Liam Picken backed up Minson's story.

The AFL is pathetic.

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 09:30 AM
That's exactly why he got a week. Liam Picken backed up Minson's story.

The AFL is pathetic.

My point exactly.
If more was said, then why hasn't Picken been punished too?
Picken strikes me as pretty honest.

Desipura
20-06-2012, 09:41 AM
It may count against us if we are planning on trading in Boak onto our list.

Sedat
20-06-2012, 09:49 AM
If more was said, then why hasn't Picken been punished too?
If more was said, Minson would have gotten 4-6 weeks and a 20k fine. AFL posturing on 'respect for women' is one of the cornerstones of their propaganda blitz, so they would have thrown the book at him and then some had the language been stronger.

What he said was what has been widely reported - nice work Garlo and co for assisting in Minno's character assassination :rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 09:50 AM
This has been par for the course for a number of years now. We are anything but a robust administration.

I'm not even fussed by the action taken against Will - he does have priors and it was unnecessary by him to engage in such activity. But I can't cop our admin being complicit in burning his reputation at the stake and allowing all and sundry to air their vitriol. Matty Scarlett FFS - the same bloke who Robert Harvey refused to shake hands with after a final in 2008, suh was the level of sledging engaged by him at the time. Kane Cornes - the bloke who makes derisive comments about the death of Will's father. Port Adelaide - the indignant, scorned, agggreived club who had a player pot Rama and his chemo treatment and laughed it off at the time. It shits me no end that our admin cowtow to city hall in some desperate and futile attempt to 'appease sponsors and stakeholders'. Minson has spilt blood for the club over 10 years and we are seemingly happy to arsehole him overnight - he deserved so much more from his club in his hour of need today. We truly are weak as piss off the field and have been for a long time.

If he had been smart enough to have his spat one on one, he might have gotten away with it. But he said it near the bench, surrounded by opposition and chose to use terms that are out of step with where the game is today. Not very smart. The Ramanauskas and Cornes thing were in the past, but this is the new reality. Look at how the media love getting on their soap box about this ? And what is the new reality? The AFL is more and more under the influence of women, mothers, who may very well decide the round ball game is better for their kids. The Administration doesn't want mothers stop allowing their children to play as they have more options than ever before. So it goes.

Fantasia went on camera and defended Will's character. ' A quality individual' IIRC. How is this arseholing him?
' In his hour of need: what a funny statement. He's a big boy and can handle himself. Thought Will did really well on camera and was contrite. People who know him are well aware of his charity work and good character. Think the 'real' footy community will have little time for this. Port Adelaide needed a consolation prize anyway after their dismal loss and mounting injury list. This is a club that perhaps doesn't deserve to be in the AFL.

Sedat
20-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Fantasia went on camera and defended Will's character. ' A quality individual' IIRC. How is this arseholing him?
' In his hour of need: what a funny statement. He's a big boy and can handle himself. If he had been smart enough to have his spat one on one, he might have gotten away with it. But he said it near the bench, surrounded by opposition and chose to use terms that are out of step with where the game is today. Not very smart. The Ramanauskas and Cornes thing were in the past, but this is the new reality. Look at how the media love getting on their soap box about this ?
It's like those two swimmers holding guns. Modern athletes have to be prepared to deal with the nanny state and the vitriol of social media. The AFL is more and more under the influence of women. The Administration doesn't want mothers stop allowing their kids to play. So it goes.
I would have liked our response to include such wording as this:
"The public comments made by some of Will's fellow professional players, relatives of current players and certain media commentators have been extremely disappointing and have not assisted at all in managing this sensitive issue".

Do you think that an Eddie McGuire would have accepted the character assassination of one of his players in the same situation that Will has been foreced to endure the last couple of days? Character assassinations from such luminaries as Matty Scarlett (the guy who Rob Harvey refused to shake hands with in a final in 2008, such was his verbal assault), Kane Cornes (the bloke who made a disparaging remark about Minson's deceased father, which triggered Minson's response to him that first got him in trouble), or Graham Cornes (the bloke who thought a comment made by a Port player about Rama's chemo affecting his brain was 'quite witty'). Eddie would have barbed right back and made the point about supporting one of his own, something we failed to do for Will. Just my opinion on the matter and I'm certainly not potting Fantasia in isolation on this one - he was just the messenger and it goes much higher than him.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 10:05 AM
"The public comments made by some of Will's fellow professional players, relatives of current players and certain media commentators have been extremely disappointing and have not assisted at all in managing this sensitive issue".

Do you think that an Eddie McGuire would have accepted the character assassination of one of his players in the same situation that Will has been foreced to endure the last couple of days? Character assassinations from such luminaries as Matty Scarlett (the guy who Rob Harvey refused to shake hands with in a final in 2008, such was his verbal assault), Kane Cornes (the bloke who made a disparaging remark about Minson's deceased father, which triggered Minson's response to him that first got him in trouble), or Graham Cornes (the bloke who thought a comment made by a Port player about Rama's chemo affecting his brain was 'quite witty'). Eddie would have barbed right back and made the point about supporting one of his own, something we failed to do for Will. Just my opinion on the matter and I'm certainly not potting Fantasia in isolation on this one - he was just the messenger and it goes much higher than him.

Good post Sedat.

Once more we see one our players being treated with double standards and the club not backing them up.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Collingwood do show a bit of barb in the public arena. Youare upset as we don't do the same? Well, if we had their historical narrative, supporter base, media experience and cash we may well do. But we are not Collingwood and we don't have Eddie McGuire, as much as we would like to dream. I tend to think the opposite. Our club is super careful and 'bland' because they simply care to keep the ship steady, and are not that confident in the media. ( Actually I have noted a worrying trend also and that is many of the staff at the Dogs are supporters of other clubs! But that's another story )

Port players have noted Will's charity work and Cassissi has said he thought in general, Will was a good guy. So I'm not sure what I have read amounts to a total character assassination. Scarlet, Cornes, these are all thugs who's careers are coming to an end. Just pissing in the wind.

Sedat
20-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Collingwood do show a bit of barb in the public arena. And you are upset that we do the same? Well if we had their historical narrative, supporter base, media experience and cash we may well do. But we are not Collingwood and we don't have Eddie McGuire, as much as we would like to dream. I tend to think the opposite. Our club is super careful and 'bland' because they really do care about the result and want to be ultra-sensitive to this stuff. They really do care about the organization. ( Actually I have noted a worrying trend also and that is many of the staff at the Dogs are supporters of other clubs! But that's another story )
GD, I think this is a cop-out and reinforces the small-time, downtrodden perception that exists out there about our club. We similarly rolled over and accepted tier 2 compensation for losing Ward to GWS, even though days prior we 'demanded and fully expected to receive' tier 1 compensation. We roll over and accept our dreadful stadium deal at Etihad. We roll over and accept other clubs waltzing in and taking over our turf in Darwin. Off the field, all we ever seem to do is roll over.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 10:34 AM
GD, I think this is a cop-out and reinforces the small-time, downtrodden perception that exists out there about our club. We similarly rolled over and accepted tier 2 compensation for losing Ward to GWS, even though days prior we 'demanded and fully expected to receive' tier 1 compensation. We roll over and accept our dreadful stadium deal at Etihad. We roll over and accept other clubs waltzing in and taking over our turf in Darwin. Off the field, all we ever seem to do is roll over.

I'm not sure people on the outside can see how you are stringing the narrative together. However, as a supporter, I completely empathize
The reality is that Eddie McGuire is a media commentator with lots of connections. He helped us find a sponsor and we gave him a little medal for it FFS! Your argument is for us to be more pushy in the media and in general dealings. Sure, it's time we saw a bit more 'cracking in' with the administration side of things; but on this particular ' soft tissue ' issue I am fairly sure Collingwood may have spun it a bit differently but they would have rested a player, nonetheless.

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Collingwood do show a bit of barb in the public arena. Youare upset as we don't do the same? Well, if we had their historical narrative, supporter base, media experience and cash we may well do. But we are not Collingwood and we don't have Eddie McGuire, as much as we would like to dream. I tend to think the opposite. Our club is super careful and 'bland' because they simply care to keep the ship steady, and are not that confident in the media. ( Actually I have noted a worrying trend also and that is many of the staff at the Dogs are supporters of other clubs! But that's another story )

You're confusing cause and effect GD. Collingwood aren't loud because they have their 'historical narrative', supporter base and money. They have a supporter base and money because they are loud. Despite their history, it was an administrative basketcase when Eddie took over. We have as much of a historical narrative as any other club in the league -- it's a matter of knowing it, being proud of it, and selling it, which we are shit at. I mean, long-term supporters like yourself even believe the popular perception that we have no 'historical narrative' (not your fault), but the best marketing organisations know how to tell good stories that change perceptions.

Once again, like the club, you seem to think that pleasing the AFL and other clubs are what we should be thinking about, but if supporters walk away and we drop to 15,000 members, the AFL will be the first ones looking to ship us off interstate. Conversely, if we actually stand for something and attract 40,000+ members, we can stand on our own two feet and tell the AFL to sod off (something Collingwood does regularly). Why would any kid out there looking for a club to support be attracted to a club with a softly, softly approach that loses its best young players regularly and kow-tows quietly to AFL HQ? Dogs fans loved the wog squad who intimidated the opposition. Hawthorn's unsociable footy was hated by others but loved by their own fans. We've already mentioned Eddie.

There is a marketing concept called 'clanning' -- the desire of people to feel a part of something they can identify with and get behind. It's not just a matter of on-field success (as North can tell you), and it's not logical: it's why people fight civil wars against their neighbours et al, but in this context, it's an important psychological factor. People want to arbitrarily unite behind colours and fight other tribes. This tribalism is what drives football at its heart, and the Dogs, in its desire to become bland, colourless and safe, has completely missed the boat on that one.

In fact, I argue that being a smaller club, clanning is even more important, as we really want to tap into a sense of being a crusader fighting the good fight, which a lot of people can identify with. Instead, I don't really know what we stand for, and I challenge anyone who hasn't drunk the club's kool-aid to tell me what it is. I think I heard kids call the Dogs 'losers' recently, so that's something we stand for maybe. Your brand isn't what you tell people it is, it's what they tell you it is, based on their observations. Actions speak louder than words.

GD, your approach of 'doing the right thing' is admirable, but not from a long-term business perspective - we are not a charity, a non-profit, or a government agency where towing the party line and not rocking the boat is important. We are a competitive business in a cut-throat environment. Eddie's biggest strength is realising that this is a business, and businesses live and die by their core customers, ie. members and fans, and he only supports the rest of the AFL in order to create a better business environment for Collingwood to thrive in. Without wanting to offend anyone, I can see even on this board that those of us whose livelihoods are determined by commercial realities -- you know, those of us with big income targets and have to constantly sell, hit up donors, or deal with investors, to survive -- are the ones most disappointed with the Dogs, because we can see how commercially naive our practices are. Those of us more used to an administratively neutral environment -- public servants et al -- are satisfied with the Dogs not rocking the boat, because that's what works in non-commercial sectors. It looks like our administration has chosen to hitch itself closely to city hall and behave like a good little organisation. That may be a good short-term survival strategy, but comes at the expense of your long-term growth, just at a time when we need it most.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Some comments from Theage. Copied them in as I thought they were good Craic

4 comments so far

Its a shame Will has been hung out to dry. Port Power are a soft, soft club.

Commenter
Richo
June 20, 2012, 7:41AM

Congrats to the media circus, twitter users & sqealing Port players, one massive over reaction, you got your result. Mr Cassisi - you obvously didn't hear a teammate vilify a cancer patient a few years ago! Soft club Port - get their WAGS to fight their battles!

Commenter
Soft
June 20, 2012, 8:53AM

I feel for Will, but I can't wait to give it to Danielle Pearce next time Port play over here, what a squib.

Commenter
June 20, 2012, 8:55AM

Dont worry Minson, the Bulldogs supporters hold no grudge against you and are 100% behind you.
This farcical episode lies on the shoulders of Cassisi and Pierce.. what an absolute bunch of handbags. Get a tablespoon of cement up ya, and harden up. What an absolute joke.
I'm looking forward to the next Port match - the sledging will be epic

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-wont-let-minson-flounder-20120619-20m6q.html#ixzz1yHrBrxm1

The thing is, what is Pearce going to do next time a player says ' How's your mum Dan?' or worse. Is he going to dare dragging it into the media again?

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 11:10 AM
. I mean, long-term supporters like yourself even believe the popular perception that we have no 'historical narrative' (not your fault), but the best marketing organisations know how to tell good stories that change perceptions.

Once again, like the club, you seem to think that pleasing the AFL and other clubs are what we should be thinking about, but if supporters walk away and we drop to 15,000 members, the AFL will be the first ones looking to ship us off interstate.

Wow! what a great post and some interesting ideas. I get the part about 'clanning'. You yourself would have to admit that in any organisation you need a mix of 'sales' types and 'people ' types.
I would have you on the Bulldogs board any day Lantern ^_^ need a job?

I never said I wanted us to be close to city hall. But you have to admit, having a media mogul as your top guy gives you a big advantage in the press.
We have rolled over badly with the Ward thing and the lack of spirit from the club on that one created a lot of resentment.

But on this particular issue, give the club a break. Cannot fight this one. You can't expect everyone to get all teary for Charlie Sutton ( an empathetic, emotional tug on the heart string ) and then pretend that what Will did was ok, having press conferences to defend him and being all bully about it ( a more business, hardline attitude ) on the same day.

You have Brendan saying stuff like "I think Charlie Sutton and his presence and what he means in our Club’s history resonated with the players in the lead-up to the game – I think they wanted to represent him and his family really well."
It's a bit in in-congruent to then come out and robustly defend Minson's use of the 'M' word ( Mother!)

For Dogs fans, feel it's going to have a reverse effect and Will is going to be a cult hero from now on.

When I mean ' historical narrative' I'm talking about the P word. Premierships.
Let's clan!

G-Mo77
20-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Haven't really said much since his suspension yesterday but here goes. We sold a 10 year servant at the club down the river as far as I'm concerned. Will's character took an absolute hammering yesterday, TV, Radio, Social Media, online forums everyone who's halo magically appeared over their heads were sticking the boots in. Our club instead of standing up for him rolls over and does exactly what these fragile angels wanted.

A 10 year servant for our club who is set to become a FA in 2012. Something tells me that Minson will be at another club next year and I wouldn't blame him one bit!

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the laugh!! Made my morning!! :D

Sedat
20-06-2012, 11:44 AM
^ ^ ^ ^
Lantern, nothing more need be added - brilliantly summarised.

Vanilla is as good as death in the competitive world of business. Only those brands/organisations that have a compelling point of difference to their competitors will survive and thrive long-term. What do we as a club stand for? What is our brand DNA? What is our point of difference from the rest of the competition? Probably a topic for another thread but well worth fleshing out.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 12:06 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ntIClzdynbA/T-Ecj11b8kI/AAAAAAAABzo/cHVx8LKB4gM/s800/IMGP0733.JPG

These ladies are massive Minson fans. They don't care what he says as they can't understand it anyway!!

Throughandthrough
20-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Lantern, interesting post and well written. My job fits one of your desciptions but my view is the opposite so i guess i am a statistical outlier :)

My question is though, while its great and mighty to have a small passionate group of fans who love the fact that their club takes a hard line approach on something, (wog squad/unsociable footy/etc) would that approach help get new supporters? And conversely would it turn people away?

I'll use an extreme example just to make the question clearer.

Let's say the WBU decided "as of today the dog's are a men only club. We will only allow men into the matches, we will provide scantily clad waitresses to serve cheap cold beer"

a % of our members would think its the best news ever and never miss a match. May even get some new sponsors (Lynx, anyone)

A % of lost members or even other club supporters would also love it and sign up

But a % of existing members would drift off, (and a lot of sponsors as well)

I think we need to look at the big picture

Would Mission sponsor us if our team was known for causing brawls every week? I doubt it.

jeemak
20-06-2012, 12:51 PM
You're confusing cause and effect GD. Collingwood aren't loud because they have their 'historical narrative', supporter base and money. They have a supporter base and money because they are loud. Despite their history, it was an administrative basketcase when Eddie took over. We have as much of a historical narrative as any other club in the league -- it's a matter of knowing it, being proud of it, and selling it, which we are shit at. I mean, long-term supporters like yourself even believe the popular perception that we have no 'historical narrative' (not your fault), but the best marketing organisations know how to tell good stories that change perceptions.

Once again, like the club, you seem to think that pleasing the AFL and other clubs are what we should be thinking about, but if supporters walk away and we drop to 15,000 members, the AFL will be the first ones looking to ship us off interstate. Conversely, if we actually stand for something and attract 40,000+ members, we can stand on our own two feet and tell the AFL to sod off (something Collingwood does regularly). Why would any kid out there looking for a club to support be attracted to a club with a softly, softly approach that loses its best young players regularly and kow-tows quietly to AFL HQ? Dogs fans loved the wog squad who intimidated the opposition. Hawthorn's unsociable footy was hated by others but loved by their own fans. We've already mentioned Eddie.

There is a marketing concept called 'clanning' -- the desire of people to feel a part of something they can identify with and get behind. It's not just a matter of on-field success (as North can tell you), and it's not logical: it's why people fight civil wars against their neighbours et al, but in this context, it's an important psychological factor. People want to arbitrarily unite behind colours and fight other tribes. This tribalism is what drives football at its heart, and the Dogs, in its desire to become bland, colourless and safe, has completely missed the boat on that one.

In fact, I argue that being a smaller club, clanning is even more important, as we really want to tap into a sense of being a crusader fighting the good fight, which a lot of people can identify with. Instead, I don't really know what we stand for, and I challenge anyone who hasn't drunk the club's kool-aid to tell me what it is. I think I heard kids call the Dogs 'losers' recently, so that's something we stand for maybe. Your brand isn't what you tell people it is, it's what they tell you it is, based on their observations. Actions speak louder than words.

GD, your approach of 'doing the right thing' is admirable, but not from a long-term business perspective - we are not a charity, a non-profit, or a government agency where towing the party line and not rocking the boat is important. We are a competitive business in a cut-throat environment. Eddie's biggest strength is realising that this is a business, and businesses live and die by their core customers, ie. members and fans, and he only supports the rest of the AFL in order to create a better business environment for Collingwood to thrive in. Without wanting to offend anyone, I can see even on this board that those of us whose livelihoods are determined by commercial realities -- you know, those of us with big income targets and have to constantly sell, hit up donors, or deal with investors, to survive -- are the ones most disappointed with the Dogs, because we can see how commercially naive our practices are. Those of us more used to an administratively neutral environment -- public servants et al -- are satisfied with the Dogs not rocking the boat, because that's what works in non-commercial sectors. It looks like our administration has chosen to hitch itself closely to city hall and behave like a good little organisation. That may be a good short-term survival strategy, but comes at the expense of your long-term growth, just at a time when we need it most.

Good post.

I've found the whole saga depressing over the last couple of days. Here's a few of the reasons why:

- Minson is a dill because of his prior record, and he should have been able to produce something a little better than your standard mum sledge considering his intelligence. If you can't get inside someone's head without being offensive then you shouldn't be sledging

- Pearce is a brat of the highest order, and will want to keep his nose extremely clean going forward. Any step outside the line of what is publicly acceptable should be met with widespread condemnation. It's all or nothing, this guy chose nothing and should be held to account for that

- The influence of the Cornes family and their hypocritical viewpoint makes me ill. I mean, who the bloody hell are these people and considering their priors in this area why are they not being lambasted and ridiculed by all and sundry

- I'm torn between acknowledging the club took the path of least resistance through a pragmatic approach, and thinking they should have taken a stand against the hysterical frenzy portrayed across the media, past players and twitterati who screamed for a public flogging of Minson, and ultimately received one

- The AFL's commercially driven charade surrounding respect and responsibility towards women taking another victim. The AFL has so much more to do in this area to change the culture of football players and attitudes towards women, and public whippings of players isn't a very good starting point

- The willingness of the football industry and public to mirror society, and demonstrate how truly shallow and pathetic it is. There are significantly larger issues affecting sport and society as a whole than this one, and I wish society could be raised from its slumber and become half as passionate about them, as they seem to be over the childish actions of a professional sportsperson

This article contains comments from the club backing Minson's character and sticking by his version of events:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-wont-let-minson-flounder-20120619-20m6q.html

To me, this is not emphatic enough.

What would really please me is ex-team mates who are in the media going in to bat heavily for Minson over the coming weeks, and I also want to see them and other prominent Bulldogs people (particularly at the home game luncheon's address to members) whilst doing so openly attack the hypocrisy demonstrated by the Cornes family, ex-players and football commentators since this blew up on Monday. The club, whilst acknowledging Minson's comments were not appropriate, need to point out how disappointed they are with his character being trashed. They also need to remind those trashing him that they've all stuck their heads out of the ground, and they now must be prepared to have them knocked off if they step out of line in the future.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 12:53 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ntIClzdynbA/T-Ecj11b8kI/AAAAAAAABzo/cHVx8LKB4gM/s800/IMGP0733.JPG

These ladies are massive Minson fans. They don't care what he says as they can't understand it anyway!!

Did they enjoy the game

Ghost Dog
20-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Did they enjoy the game

Loved it. Bulldogs are now 'their team' and it's amazing what a free baseball cap will do!

Their community people spent a good while explaining the game before we went.
It made a big difference, as I have brought students before but the game was a bit lost on them without the white board part. It's a bit difficult to explain the game at the ground with the noise and what not with low literacy folks.

Sedat
20-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Good post.

I've found the whole saga depressing over the last couple of days. Here's a few of the reasons why:

- Minson is a dill because of his prior record, and he should have been able to produce something a little better than your standard mum sledge considering his intelligence. If you can't get inside someone's head without being offensive then you shouldn't be sledging

- Pearce is a brat of the highest order, and will want to keep his nose extremely clean going forward. Any step outside the line of what is publicly acceptable should be met with widespread condemnation. It's all or nothing, this guy chose nothing and should be held to account for that

- The influence of the Cornes family and their hypocritical viewpoint makes me ill. I mean, who the bloody hell are these people and considering their priors in this area why are they not being lambasted and ridiculed by all and sundry

- I'm torn between acknowledging the club took the path of least resistance through a pragmatic approach, and thinking they should have taken a stand against the hysterical frenzy portrayed across the media, past players and twitterati who screamed for a public flogging of Minson, and ultimately received one

- The AFL's commercially driven charade surrounding respect and responsibility towards women taking another victim. The AFL has so much more to do in this area to change the culture of football players and attitudes towards women, and public whippings of players isn't a very good starting point

- The willingness of the football industry and public to mirror society, and demonstrate how truly shallow and pathetic it is. There are significantly larger issues affecting sport and society as a whole than this one, and I wish society could be raised from its slumber and become half as passionate about them, as they seem to be over the childish actions of a professional sportsperson

This article contains comments from the club backing Minson's character and sticking by his version of events:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-wont-let-minson-flounder-20120619-20m6q.html

To me, this is not emphatic enough.

What would really please me is ex-team mates who are in the media going in to bat heavily for Minson over the coming weeks, and I also want to see them and other prominent Bulldogs people (particularly at the home game luncheon's address to members) whilst doing so openly attack the hypocrisy demonstrated by the Cornes family, ex-players and football commentators since this blew up on Monday. The club, whilst acknowledging Minson's comments were not appropriate, need to point out how disappointed they are with his character being trashed. They also need to remind those trashing him that they've all stuck their heads out of the ground, and they now must be prepared to have them knocked off if they step out of line in the future.
Jeemak, another fantastic post, and you have perfectly encapsulated my personal thoughts on the whole affair following the events of the last 48 hours. It is possible to sanction somebody and also give them unwavering public support. We failed to adequately address the latter IMO.

jeemak
20-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Jeemak, another fantastic post, and you have perfectly encapsulated my personal thoughts on the whole affair following the events of the last 48 hours. It is possible to sanction somebody and also give them unwavering public support. We failed to adequately address the latter IMO.

Agreed, though considering we can't change how it's been handled to this point, what are your thoughts on making good and pulling back some ground for Minson and the club?

Sedat
20-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Agreed, though considering we can't change how it's been handled to this point, what are your thoughts on making good and pulling back some ground for Minson and the club?I think the horse has bolted. This issue is almost fish and chip paper with the wider football public already. Any attempts by us from now on to paint Will as a some sort of moral crusader and good Samaritan will be considered as contrived and fake.

I would simply get Brendan McCartney to give a glowing endorsement of Will's character at our next training presser, taking time to counter every Wally out there who debased Will's character in the public forum prior to the sanction. I would like him to be stern, steely and unwavering with his intensity when answering the inevitable question about preparation for this week's game being affected by the events of the previous 48 hours, give a massive endorsement of Will's character, and then the club to never speak of the issue again. We then take some sort of control of the situation and stamp our authority on the message being delivered about one of our own.

jeemak
20-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Our window of opportunity will close at the conclusion of McCartney's post match presser after Will's return game. Agree that when asked questions on the topic short and stern answers are required, all delivering the same emphatic message.

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 02:21 PM
We should also organise a televised IQ showdown between big Will and Lucy Cornes.
Big Will's odds starting at $1.01

In fact, I doubt she could pass this challenge: Give her 3 chances to write out the sentence she tweeted, without spelling mistakes, in English.

Happy Days
20-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I didn't think the club was actually handling it too piss-weakly until I saw the masterclass Geelong is putting on to cover for Jesse Stringer at the moment.

How that is in the back of the sports section and Will is plastered everywhere is beyond me.

Throughandthrough
20-06-2012, 02:32 PM
We should also organise a televised IQ showdown between big Will and Lucy Cornes.
Big Will's odds starting at $1.01

In fact, I doubt she could pass this challenge: Give her 3 chances to write out the sentence she tweeted, without spelling mistakes, in English.

Why the personal attack on Lucy Cornes?

PS she is a very articulate woman. And very proud of her amazing family.

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Why the personal attack on Lucy Cornes?

PS she is a very articulate woman. And very proud of her amazing family.

All evidence points to the contrary.

One could use many adjectives to describe her attack on Will, articulate is not one.

Maddog37
20-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Well the dust has settled and we can either let this event galvanize us or weaken us. The choice is ours, I know what path I have chosen.......it's us against everyone from now on. Go Dogs!

Bulldog4life
20-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Apples and oranges. Suspending players because they break YOUR OWN team rules is one thing, failing to defend them from all and sundry is another thing altogether. Supporters love it when their club takes a strong stance on a player who breaks team rules. Not so much when they are tried, hung and quartered by every half-wit who lives within five metres an AFL sanctioned microphone and you just meekly agree.

You think Eddie would have suspended Wellingham because of a complaint from Will Minson or Liam Picken? Dreaming.

We agree to disagree. No doubt what this forum is all about. I are others are pleased that the Club has acted as they have. You and others are not. End of discussion for me. I'd rather look ahead to next week's game.

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 04:17 PM
I didn't think the club was actually handling it too piss-weakly until I saw the masterclass Geelong is putting on to cover for Jesse Stringer at the moment.

How that is in the back of the sports section and Will is plastered everywhere is beyond me.

They just barred him for the rest of the season!!!!

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 04:21 PM
They just barred him for the rest of the season!!!!

Well that ruins my perfectly good piece of art.