PDA

View Full Version : Tom Campbell Rookie Upgrade

The Coon Dog
20-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Patrick Keane from the AFL has just tweeted advising that the Western Bulldogs have placed Dale Morris on the Long Term Injury list & elevated Tom Campbell.

G-Mo77
20-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Every year this gets asked and I never store it in the memory. Austin is elevated because of Williams and now Campbell is because of Morris. Williams is due back soon does he have to go back to the rookie list?

bornadog
20-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Every year this gets asked and I never store it in the memory. Austin is elevated because of Williams and now Campbell is because of Morris. Williams is due back soon does he have to go back to the rookie list?

After 11 rounds, you can elevate one Rookie, so Austin should be fine.

G-Mo77
20-06-2012, 12:50 PM
After 11 rounds, you can elevate one Rookie, so Austin should be fine.

That's the one I was looking for, thanks.

While I'm excited to see what Tommy C can do at AFL level I feel really bad for Dale Morris.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 12:52 PM
That's the one I was looking for, thanks.

While I'm excited to see what Tommy C can do at AFL level I feel really bad for Dale Morris.

Yes, the gut feeling is we have seen his best years behind us now. Hard to come back at his age. Judas Brown was never the same after his broken leg.

GVGjr
20-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I picked this the other day on the Lucy Cornes thread. I'm not sure that he is ready to play but I think he will. McCartney seems keen to play 3 ruck man.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I picked this the other day on the Lucy Cornes thread. I'm not sure that he is ready to play but I think he will. McCartney seems keen to play 3 ruck man.

In Macca's eyes, Cordy isnot a ruckman, so we are only playing two.

Cyberdoggie
20-06-2012, 01:43 PM

So what happens the next week when Will is back?

Is this week a battle royale to see who stays in?
or will they rotate from week to week.

Not a lot of confidence shown in Roughead's ability to ruck in my opinion.
Regardless it will be a interesting to see Campbell play and if he's up to the challenge.
Fitness and running ability will be interesting, and whether having him down forward at times will help Cordy and Jones or hinder them.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 02:15 PM
In Macca's eyes, Cordy isnot a ruckman, so we are only playing two.

Regardless it will be a interesting to see Campbell play and if he's up to the challenge.
Fitness and running ability will be interesting, and whether having him down forward at times will help Cordy and Jones or hinder them.

Can we stop thinking Cordy is a ruckman? Having said that, what does happen when Will is back.

bornadog
20-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139043/default.aspx)

READYMADE Western Bulldogs ruckman Tom Campbell is in line to make his AFL debut after being elevated from the rookie list to replace injured defender Dale Morris.

Morris, who has endured complications in his return from a broken leg suffered late last season, has been placed on the Bulldogs' long-term injury list and will now set his sights on returning for the 2013 season.

Following the one-match suspension handed out to the Bulldogs' No.1 ruckman Will Minson, Campbell's promotion opens the way for him to get his first taste of AFL football against the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

In Minson's absence, Campbell appears certain to partner Jordan Roughead, with occasional support from forward Ayce Cordy, against former Bulldog big man Ben Hudson.

The 20-year-old's eventual elevation appeared inevitable given his impressive pre-season form, which he has carried into the season proper with the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown. He has been one of the standout performers for the Seagulls.

The 201-centimetre, 101-kilogram big man made his way to Whitten Oval after stints with the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup under-18 competition and VFL side Bendigo Bombers, where he played under current Bulldogs assistant coach Shannon Grant.

Campbell was the No.27 pick in last year's Rookie Draft. In time, it might well be considered a steal.

He showed just how damaging and versatile he could be in his only NAB Cup appearance - against North Melbourne at North Ballarat in late February - when he took three contested marks in attack and kicked a game-high tally of 3.3 in a losing team.

After the match, coach Brendan McCartney was suitably impressed.

"He showed enough [to suggest] that he's going to be able to find the ball forward and be a good, strong ruckman for us," he said.

"Shannon Grant has got to take a lot of credit for Tom - he worked with him last year [and] did a lot of one-on-one work with him.

"He's a good young fella and he's fitted in well as a person.

"They love him in the weights room - he handles the work in there very well."

Earlier, Minson had enthused about Campbell's potential: "I saw Tom Campbell kick a goal from 80 [metres] into the wind off one step the other week in a practice match and that got a few eyes going. I can’t say I've kicked too many into the northerly hear at the Whitten Oval, and he did that on a few occasions. So he's an exciting prospect."

Meanwhile, Morris' prospects of making a late-season return have fizzled.

The 29-year-old key backman broke both major bones in his right leg against Essendon at Etihad Stadium in round 21 last year.

He played a quarter with Williamstown's reserves team in early May but pulled up sore, with scans revealing a stress fracture in the fibula - in a different spot to the original break.

In better news for the Bulldogs on the injury front, the club's injury list has defender Tom Williams only a week away from returning after regaining full fitness following a shoulder reconstruction in early March.

Williams, 25, hurt his right shoulder in the NAB Cup clash with Carlton and was placed on the long-term injury list. He has trained strongly in recent weeks.

Maddog37
20-06-2012, 02:40 PM
So Austin will get the post round 11 elevation spot when Tom comes back?

Maddog37
20-06-2012, 02:51 PM
If Campbell can produce and Cordy, Wallis etc continue to improve, this is shaping as a watershed year for the club.

G-Mo77
20-06-2012, 02:56 PM

I said the same thing with the Austin elevation. Yeah different scenario but I've got egg on my face for being so against it.

A few people in here have said they're keen to get him in regardless. I don't think it will be just 1 week for Campbell.

Twodogs
20-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Merged two threads on the same subject.

Scraggers
20-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I might be alone here, but I always saw Campbell as a lead-up forward and not as a ruck.

Watching him in the TAC Cup at the beginning of the year,he seemed to fit that role.

For those that have seen him play for Williamstown, what role has he been playing? Has he got the motor to play on the ball? Is he any good in the ruck (if that's where he has played)? How do you think McCartney will use him? (Here endith my questions ... for now :o)

divvydan
20-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Just thought I'd put in the VFL stats to give an idea of his output at VFL level.

7 games, I only have stats for first 6 thus far.

Of those 6

Averaging:
32 hitouts, 8.5kicks, 8hb, 3marks, 2.5tackles. Including all 7 games, he's kicked 4 goals.

Maddog37
20-06-2012, 07:22 PM
So you are saying he is not the messiah..........

Sockeye Salmon
20-06-2012, 08:00 PM

He's not the forward some people think he is

Greystache
20-06-2012, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't think so, but the coach really rates him and that's all that really matters.

Greystache
20-06-2012, 08:07 PM
It's also worth noting that's he's younger than all of Roughead, Jones, and Cordy so he is a very young developing ruckman. Given his performances at VFL at his age there's a bit to get excited about there.

GVGjr
20-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Will returns to the side.

I have previously mentioned that it's apparently a done deal that Campbell will given a 2 or 3 year deal at the end of this year that that he would be upgraded after the half way mark. His promotion yesterday is specifically to show our intent of maintaining him.

Scraggers
20-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Will returns to the side.

I have previously mentioned that it's apparently a done deal that Campbell will given a 2 or 3 year deal at the end of this year that that he would be upgraded after the half way mark. His promotion yesterday is specifically to show our intent of maintaining him.

I see this as a good move, but I worry that we are going to be top heavy ... We need to ensure that Ayce and Jordan (and perhaps one other ... Maybe Campbell) are treated and trained as KPPs or we will lose some of the quality if we end up with a situation of our fourth back-up ruckman (for example).

LostDoggy
20-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Not the messiah, there is no messiah but another impressive young addition to the bulldog machine. These big guys will make each other look damn good, match up nightmares are already starting to appear for opposition sides. Big man depth at the bulldogs? Unheard of... Apologies to Street and Skipper of course...

FrediKanoute
20-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I think its a good idea. The way I see it, if we end up blessed and we have all four fighting it out for 2 or 3 spots in the side then we will probably have some currency at the trade table in a year or 2. You can never have enough talls that are perceived to be of good quality. Hawthorn effectively traded for a premiership on the back of their talls.

Ghost Dog
21-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Saw him at Ballarat. As Will has said, a very good kick.
Gutted to hear about glove. A club favorite and could have easily been captain in my book.

jeemak
21-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Saw him at Ballarat. As Will has said, a very good kick.
Gutted to hear about glove. A club favorite and could have easily been captain in my book.

Almost something lost amongst this week's hoopla is the fact Morris isn't available for the remainder of the year.

Probably not that surprising he's not going to contribute on field. but as you've said it's very disappointing someone so dedicated has to suffer this sort of set back.

G-Mo77
21-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Almost something lost amongst this week's hoopla is the fact Morris isn't available for the remainder of the year.

Probably not that surprising he's not going to contribute on field. but as you've said it's very disappointing someone so dedicated has to suffer this sort of set back.

Sam Landsberger is pretty accurate with info in regards to our club. According to him Dale is aiming to be back by Round 21.

jeemak
21-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Sam Landsberger is pretty accurate with info in regards to our club. According to him Dale is aiming to be back by Round 21.

Great news, as long as he's right to go. At his age the best thing for him (unless for some outrageous reason we've made the finals) is to have a clean preseason.

Remi Moses
21-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Just hope they don't rush Dale in.
Good news on Campbell

chef
21-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Don't see the point unless we are pushing for finals.

Maddog37
21-06-2012, 10:56 AM
The messiah line was a joke guys!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA

LostDoggy
21-06-2012, 12:36 PM
The messiah line was a joke guys!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA

Was it?
Too funny.

Maddog37
21-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Was it?
Too funny.

Not a Monty Python fan then Chops?

always right
21-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Some have commented that Morris is going to struggle to successfully return to the AFL based on the Nathan Brown experience. If anyone can do it, Dale can. He is certainly no Nathan Brown.

G-Mo77
21-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Don't see the point unless we are pushing for finals.

Tell Dale Morris that.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Bump - There have been quite a few doubters on the boards with Tom. Has put on weight and is our most well rounded forward tall being quite mobile. May just turn out we have the KPP we always dreamed of under our very noses.
And why not? If he can learn to lead and continue to provide a contest, physically, he's not that far removed from many similar types of tall forwards. Youth is on his side as well.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Not just a lead mark, but the guy looks like he can take a good standing vertical contested mark. We haven't seen that in our forward line for a while.
Not to mention the ability to bust a pack in half so our Dolly, Tory, Grant Fwds can do their stuff.
Hope this is the start of something rather than another "remember when" thing.