PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 14 vs Essendon

Greystache
23-06-2012, 01:06 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against Essendon at Etihad on Saturday night?

A brief explanation for your changes as always would be good.

Remi Moses
23-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Is it possible to drop everyone bar 2 or 3?
Insipid :mad:

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-06-2012, 05:55 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against Essendon at Etihad on Saturday night?

A brief explanation for your changes as always would be good.

In: Minson, Hargrave, Djerrkura
Out: Jones, Roughead, Smith
Based on our performance today you could quite easily make up to 6 changes. The one feature being Tom Campbell's debut with 29 hitouts. Our lack of pace and skill was a major problem today. Minson and Hargrave will add badly needed experience with Djerrkura giving us a crumbing forward which is sadly lacking. Jones, Cordy and Roughead together on the forward line is too slow and cumbersome. This would have been our worst performance for the year.

Dog54
23-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Ins
Minson
Panos give him 3 weeks too see what he brings (at least he can kick)
Sherman ( need the leg speed desperately)
Hargrave
Markovic or williams
Djkerra

Outs
Jones
Cordy ( could do with a spell)
Roughed (like to see Campbell again)
Clay smith ( not a footballer at this stage needs to learn the game and some poise)
Austin ( not a genuine key back)
Addison ( try's hard but just not good enough)

GVGjr
23-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Ins Minson, Veszpremi, Grant (if fit) and Sherman.
Outs Cordy, Smith, Campbell and Jones.

We need more run and hopefully Veszpremi and Sherman can supply that. Jones misses out due to his form. Cordy was pretty poor today

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Ins Minson, Veszpremi, Grant (if fit) and Sherman.
Outs Cordy, Smith, Campbell and Jones.

We need more run and hopefully Veszpremi and Sherman can supply that. Jones misses out due to his form. Cordy was pretty poor today

I think that's about right. If Grant isn't fit- who do we include? And if Shaggy is fit, would he come straight it?

Mantis
23-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Jones, Cordy and Roughead together on the forward line is too slow and cumbersome.

I know what your saying, but this isn't helped by having Gia, Higgins, Dickson & Cooney as the smalls.

Plus our field kicking to advantage is almost non-existent.

GVGjr
23-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I think that's about right. If Grant isn't fit- who do we include? And if Shaggy is fit, would he come straight it?

Hargrave will be back and I should have included him. Williams said today he will play for Williamstown next week. He's not 100% in fact he's is far from it but it's unlikely to get worse. Said his injured arm is a lot smaller than the other

SlimPickens
23-06-2012, 06:15 PM
In: Minson, Sherman, Grant, Hargrave

Out: Roughy, Jones, Smith, Cooney (Rest)

Our forward line just didn't function today, insipid performances by Cordy, Jones, Roughy and Cooney. I would persevere with Cordy at this stage. We need a spark across half forward and id like us to move Murphy there, he just isn't that good defensively (shutting down an opponent) at the moment yet his work in turning defence into attack is good. Hargrave to play in defence, Sherman half forward and Onball, Grant forward, Campbell 80/20 and Minson into the ruck.

Greystache
23-06-2012, 06:22 PM
In- Panos, Hargrave, Minson

Out- Roughead, Jones, Smith

Agree with Slim, Murphy needs to go forward, he's a liability in defence and teams are exposing him. He may also add some class to a forward line desperately lacking it.

bulldogsman
23-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Ins- Hargrave, Minson, DJ, Sherman

Outs - Jones, Roughead (unlucky), Smith, Cooney (rest)

bornadog
23-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Ins- Hargrave, Minson, DJ, Sherman

Outs - Jones, Roughead (unlucky), Smith, Cooney

Cooney created lots of opportunities for himself but couldn't kick goals. I tend to agree with your changes and wouldn't mind chucking in Gia as well and bringing Vez in.

ReLoad
23-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Outs:
Roughhead - needs a spell
Cooney - body failed
Jones - makes baby harp seals cry
Dickson - no defensive pressure.

Ins:
Minson - form was great prior to brain snap.
Sherman - we seriously need leg speed
DJ - Leg spead and run from half back.
Panos - needs a look at the big time.

Those lucky to survive the chop: Wood, Cross, Libba(looks tired)

Rance Fan
23-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Out
Cooney, Addison, Jones
In
panos, Hargrave, Minson

bulldogsman
23-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Cooney created lots of opportunities for himself but couldn't kick goals. I tend to agree with your changes and wouldn't mind chucking in Gia as well and bringing Vez in.

I was thinking of maybe making Gia or Dickson the sub, but I wouldn't mind that. Vez actually gave us something in the forward line when he was there or maybe debut Panos. At least Panos kicks it well.

Bumper Bulldogs
23-06-2012, 07:11 PM
For me the issue is the forward line, I would sack Grant as he has shown us nothing as a coach and keeps going with a set up that we saw back in the 70s.

Outs next week,
Cooney - please do the team thing and end your contract so we can get a useful contributor
Gia - It is just not good enough to go to ground and watch your player take off, the over the back trick is dead and even one knows this is your bread and butter
Jones - we cant play 3 talls and a bloke on one leg and another that goes to ground
Ace or Roughy (take your pick) - they have had a crack and I think we may be better to let Campbell ruck and use Minno down forward if needed

Inclusions - Sherman & Djerrkura we need the pace Minson & Shaggy

So my side would look like this
B: Hargrave Lake Addison
HB: Wood Austin Howard
C: Sherman Cross Picken
HF: Murphy Dickson Djerrhura
F: Higgins Cordy Dahlhaus
R: Minson Griffen Boyd
Int: Libba, Smith, Wallis
sub: Campbell to swap with Cordy

G-Mo77
23-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I see Jones' name being called for but not Cordy. Cordy, while had horrible disposal looked like he couldn't even take a mark. I would have subbed him off instead of Jones, at least I know Junes may have taken at least 1 grab. I'd put them both out of the side personally, leave Campbell in and may even consider a Panos debut.

I'm still scratching my head at the performance today. :confused:

Desipura
23-06-2012, 08:46 PM
How Gia can be considered for selection is mind boggling. He is getting games based on his experience and what he has done in the past. I find it somewhat sad watching him go around as I think people will remember him for how he played in his last season.
He has been a very good player and should leave the game with his reputation in the footy world intact.
I will go as far and say I think he should play the majority of the season at Williamstown and give him a fair well game at the end of the season, we did it with Crofty.

In Panos (let's see if he can play a Gia type role)
Hargrave
Sherman

Out Roughy
Jones
Cooney (Next season may be his last)

Go_Dogs
23-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Out: Jones, Cordy

In: Minson, Sherman

Jones and Cordy to go back and build some consistent form, Minson back in, Campbell and Roughead to share forward/ruck duties. Sherman in for some run and speed in the F50.

The Pie Man
23-06-2012, 10:01 PM
I see Jones' name being called for but not Cordy. Cordy, while had horrible disposal looked like he couldn't even take a mark. I would have subbed him off instead of Jones, at least I know Junes may have taken at least 1 grab. I'd put them both out of the side personally, leave Campbell in and may even consider a Panos debut.

I'm still scratching my head at the performance today. :confused:

Jones deep would at least still have pace and agility - Cordy was just awful today, and I share your confusion with the sub today.

In my mind, Cordy is the first dropped.

Desipura
23-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Jones deep would at least still have pace and agility - Cordy was just awful today, and I share your confusion with the sub today.

In my mind, Cordy is the first dropped.

Cordy got his hands in the right spot just could not clunk them.
I thought Jones was non existent and therefore worse.

Doc26
23-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Liam must work on his aerobic fitness to at least be able to put in a decent second effort when it's required, which unfortunately for now is more common than not. His aerobic fitness currently just doesn't meet the standard required to play in a Bulldog forward line where a ball hitting one on the chest is seen more as an anomaly. Unfortunately he does have a few mates down there whose upside is not as hopeful as we would expect of Liam's.

I remain optimistic of Liam's future but for now our poor efficiency to hit him up combined with his limited ability to compete outside of hitting a contest to me suggests we would be better served sending him back to Williamstown to focus on building up his tank more than anything else.

Amongst the gloom and doom this afternoon dished out it was encouraging to watch Campbell's debut performance, in particular his tap work to advantage against one of the more experienced ruck veterans going around in Huddo. Managed to chat with John Schultz post game who was equally impressed with what he saw in Tom's ruck work. One of few things we could take some joy out of today's showing.

bornadog
23-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Outs:
Dickson - no defensive pressure.

lUcky ones - Libba(looks tired)

Are you kidding with Dickson, he put on 5 tackles and looked the only lively one up forward.

and Libba had the ball 29 times today :confused:

Pickenitup
23-06-2012, 11:01 PM
In Minson Hargrave Markovic DJ Sherman
Out Jones Roughead Gia Addison Smith

Hotdog60
23-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Are you kidding with Dickson, he put on 5 tackles and looked the only lively one up forward.

and Libba had the ball 29 times today :confused:

Ditto I thought Dickson was ok and with the delivery that was coming in none of the forwards had it easy.

Remi Moses
24-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Ditto I thought Dickson was ok and with the delivery that was coming in none of the forwards had it easy.

Thought Dickson was alright as well.
Howard and Campbell were the shining lights.
Gotta make a few changes this time ( 2 floggings in 3 games)
In - Djkuerra Minson Panos( needs a chance)Hargrave
Out - Jones ( needs to get super fit ) Roughy Smith Addison

Dazza
24-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Get ready for some pain. Essendon are going to smash us.

Too fast and too skilled.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Get ready for some pain. Essendon are going to smash us.

Too fast and too skilled.

Then we run into Freo, Hawks, Carlton & StKilda. by our last month I cant see any good coming out of these games unless we declare the season over and just play all the kids, we need to get away from the days with Rocket and base games on performance not reputations.

I would rather get flogged and be blooding the kids than getting flogged and playing guys on the way out.

The Underdog
24-06-2012, 10:07 AM
In Minson Hargrave Markovic DJ Sherman
Out Jones Roughead Gia Addison Smith

Has Markovic even played a VFL game since the injury? Surely he's AFL fit yet. We possibly need a 3rd tall defender next week but not sure we have the cover to do it outside of Roughhead on the ruckman who goes forward.

Max469
24-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Then we run into Freo, Hawks, Carlton & StKilda. by our last month I cant see any good coming out of these games unless we declare the season over and just play all the kids, we need to get away from the days with Rocket and base games on performance not reputations.

I would rather get flogged and be blooding the kids than getting flogged and playing guys on the way out.

I said exactly this yesterday.

Like all of us I hate losing but realistically our season is all but over. Don't tank because it is cheating but at least give the kids a run to gain experience.

Pickenitup
24-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Marko played last week in The Vfl trained strongly this week we must play him against
The Bombers we are going to get smashed if we have the same Backline like we did yesterday.

GVGjr
24-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I said exactly this yesterday.

Like all of us I hate losing but realistically our season is all but over. Don't tank because it is cheating but at least give the kids a run to gain experience.

We have been doing that all season regardless by picking the best side each week. The main difference though is that Roughead, Cordy, Howard Smith, Wallis, Libertore and Dickson have earned their spots rather than just being given a free pass. Grant however, has been made to earn his chances. In my way of thinking, that is the far better option than just picking guys based more on their age than their results and effort.

Sedat
24-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Marko played last week in The Vfl trained strongly this week we must play him against
The Bombers we are going to get smashed if we have the same Backline like we did yesterday.
If Markovic is deemed by our conditioning staff to be able to withstand the rigours of 120 minutes at the higenst level, he would be worth consideration this week - he has towelled up Hurley a couple of times already in his short career to date and it will free up Lake to give us his customary attacking drive.

Maddog37
24-06-2012, 10:51 AM
We have been doing that all season regardless by picking the best side each week. The main difference though is that Roughead, Cordy, Howard Smith, Wallis, Libertore and Dickson have earned their spots rather than just being given a free pass. Grant however, has been made to earn his chances. In my way of thinking, that is the far better option than just picking guys based more on their age than their results and effort.

I agree on this but by the same token some players deserve to be dropped for lack of effort or lack of ability and hence someone needs to take their place. Subsequently I would like to see the people taking those spots be players with a future.

GVGjr
24-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I agree on this but by the same token some players deserve to be dropped for lack of effort or lack of ability and hence someone needs to take their place. Subsequently I would like to see the people taking those spots be players with a future.

Let's say as an example Grant has been half arsed. Would you still want him played at the expense of an older guy who has already been setting the example for his younger team mates? I wouldn't. We don't reward people just because they are young. Young and lazy won't take the club forward. Young and dedicated might be a different story but I still believe form should be the main consideration.

Maddog37
24-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Let's say as an example Grant has been half arsed. Would you still want him played at the expense of an older guy who has already been setting the example for his younger team mates? I wouldn't. We don't reward people just because they are young. Young and lazy won't take the club forward. Young and dedicated might be a different story but I still believe form should be the main consideration.

If the example is to not chase and look dispirited then yes I would rather a kid get a chance even if it is a bit before time.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2012, 12:48 PM

What a load of crap.

Who did Rocket play that McCartney hasn't? Hudson? Gilbee has been injured nearly all season.

Rocket played 10 debutants last year.

Ghost Dog
24-06-2012, 01:22 PM
What a load of crap.

Who did Rocket play that McCartney hasn't? Hudson? Gilbee has been injured nearly all season.

Mitch Hahn had a long line of credit. Rocket's words. But in general, agree.

GVGjr
24-06-2012, 01:23 PM
What a load of crap.

Rockets problem was more around not letting players go when he should. Hahn played two seasons too many and one of them was as a mature aged rookie for goodness sake. Eagleton was played at least one season too many and the same with Aker. I get the reasons why he did but it wasn't great for the club.

bornadog
24-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Name the players who should be replaced and who will replace them.

Maddog37
24-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Cooney and Gia for lack of chasing. One of Boyd/Cross/Libva/Wallis for lack of speed.

In maybe Vez, DJ, Sheman and Tutt.

1eyedog
24-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Our activated priority pick is looking better and better

OUT: Jones, Cooney, Smith, Austin, Addison

IN: Sherman, Shaggy, Vez, Markovic, Panos

The Pie Man
24-06-2012, 05:58 PM
In: Minson, Markovic, Panos, Ves

Out:

Campbell (unlucky, solid debut)
Addison (again unlucky, Austin needed more for balance)
Cordy
Cooney

I'd honestly rather drop Gia than Cooney - I'm no Gia hater, but we desperately need to address the lack of foot speed in the forward 50 (amongst other areas) - but you suspect Cooney may need to rest anyway.

Who seriously thinks Cordy will make it at FF?

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Out:

Cordy
Cooney

I'd honestly rather drop Gia than Cooney - I'm no Gia hater, but we desperately need to address the lack of foot speed in the forward 50 (amongst other areas) - but you suspect Cooney may need to rest anyway.

Campbell's tap work was as good as we have seen this year and should be retained at Roughead's expense. I like the idea of bringing in Panos and playing him as a leading FF and bringing Cordy out to CHF. Austin has been more than serviceable and deserves to stay in the side. Djerrkura or Sherman would inject some badly needed pace at the expense of Cooney or Gia. Surprised you would retain Jones who has been very ordinary.

The Pie Man
24-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Campbell's tap work was as good as we have seen this year and should be retained at Roughead's expense. I like the idea of bringing in Panos and playing him as a leading FF and bringing Cordy out to CHF. Austin has been more than serviceable and deserves to stay in the side. Djerrkura or Sherman would inject some badly needed pace at the expense of Cooney or Gia. Surprised you would retain Jones who has been very ordinary.

I thought Roughead was ok yesterday, though I wouldn't be against Campbell playing ahead of him right now.

Cordy moving to CHF worries me more than at FF - he showed some signs against Port but I just can't buy him as anything other than a ruckman. Probably needs more time I know, but I feel like it's going to be time wasted.

Jones was poor, and I'd be very surprised to see him retained this week - I just feel he offers more than Cordy.

(I realise I'm being harsh on Ayce, so he'll probably be a superstar now...happened to Griffen for me :o)

Rocco Jones
24-06-2012, 07:33 PM
The majority of posters seem to want Sherman and/or Vez in the side. I want them in the side but it seems like they were dropped as more of a statement of the style we want rather thaan their inability to be in our 'best 22'.

Sherman didn't set the world on fire in his couple of games for Willi and I am not sure if Vez played last week. Then this week Willi had the bye. I think it would be a bit of a backflip to play them.

I find the side so unbalanced that it is very difficult to accurately state ins and outs. We have at least one too many ruck/forward types. Our small forwards are too slow but they are the only ones adding something to the scoreboard. Our mids are one paced. The guys who add some leg speed or foot skills are seen as too 1D by B-Mac.

LostDoggy
24-06-2012, 07:52 PM
In

Minson: Number one ruckman, in good form, automatic inclusion.

Hargrave: Was in good form before pulling up sore and will provide good leadership in the back half.

Djerrkura: Need some pace through the midfield and forward 50, DJ provides this.

Grant: Provides pace and marking ability in the forward line. Skillful player and is capable of a decent game if matched up on Essendon's 3rd best defender.

Hooper: Shown some good form in the VFL, only comes in if Boyd gets suspended.

Out

Campbell: Unlucky to miss but at the moment I see him as more of a genuine ruckman than a ruck/forward. Cordy and Jones weren't helped at all by the speed or delivery of our ball movement and Roughead did some nice things.

Addison: Has been soundly beaten the past two games and needs to find some form in the VFL.

Smith: Doesn't seem to be fit enough to run out a whole game at the intensity he plays with yet, but is not suited to the substitute role.

Cordy: Could use a spell at Williamstown, gives Roughead a chance to spend more time as a stay-at-home forward.

Boyd: If he gets suspended (unlikely).

Bumper Bulldogs
24-06-2012, 08:08 PM
What a load of crap.

I was more thinking along the lines that Rocket played guys injured and out of form, I recall Jonno being shot but still getting a game, Eagle, Hahn as other stated, Also Gia seemed to get a good go IMO,

McCartney is new and could make a statement now, Yes we don't have the cattle and I'm sure we would all agree on that one. But i hope he puts a few guys on notice and it wouldn't hurt to give the kids ago.

Players like Grant, Hooper, Moles, Mulligan, Skinner could be given a game with one message in mind, Earn you spot on the list for next year.

Mantis
24-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Players like Grant, Hooper, Moles, Mulligan, Skinner could be given a game with one message in mind, Earn you spot on the list for next year.

I'm pretty sure these players will get a game if they earn it.. The challenge is there in front of them.

westbulldog
24-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Outs
Jones Cordy Addison Cooney Boyd Gia

Ins
Hargrave DJ Minson Panos Sherman Grant

AndrewP6
24-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Outs

Ins

Joke post I'm assuming.

westbulldog
25-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Joke post I'm assuming.

far from it

AndrewP6
25-06-2012, 12:12 AM
far from it

You want three of our leaders including the captain, omitted after a bad loss?

DragzLS1
25-06-2012, 12:41 AM
The last player I would drop is Boyd! He had a shocker, but you can put your money on it that Boyd will not let the team down again this season. Watch a 40 possession game from him Saturday night against the bombers. To make up for it.

I like Cambell and think maybe it's time to give 2 of cordy, Roughy and jones a rest. Would like to see grant back in as he is tallish but has the pace which could give some heAdaches.

Ins: Minson, grant, Sherman, hargrave

Outs: cordy, roughy, gia, cooney

westbulldog
25-06-2012, 12:55 AM
You want three of our leaders including the captain, omitted after a bad loss?

At the end of the day we have opinions, and that is what they are, opinions. You describe the performance as ""bad", I describe it as unacceptable - totally. People see things in a different light. I can't remember a worse capitulation.

chef
25-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Out:

Cordy
Cooney

Not as a stay at home all game forward. But he should turn into a decent 2ND ruck/forward. I was hoping he would turn into a Tippett type, but he looks more like a Hale type.

We need to stop playing two number one rucks, it's just over kill(I guess it would be different if they were guns like WCE have, but they're not) and robbing our team of run.

Mantis
25-06-2012, 09:32 AM
We need to stop playing two number one rucks, it's just over kill( I guess it would be different if they were guns like WCE have, but they're not) and robbing our team of run.

I get what you're saying, but the fact that our supposed running players (mids, flanker types) don't offer enough spread and run & carry is the main reason why we are struggling in this area.

Sedat
25-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Who seriously thinks Cordy will make it at FF?After the Port game, I would have said the odds were better than 50/50. He absolutely ragdolled his opponents, and only his kicking for goal prevented a bag. He can get to contests well enough but his hands are letting him down - almost the mirror opposite of Jones.

We seem to have a plethora of key forward options on our list and all of them have some deficiency or another. It is making our list look very lop-sided carrying so many talls on the list at any given time - outside of Cordy, Roughead, Jones, Minson and Campbell, we also have T Hill, Redpath, Roberts, Panos, Mulligan and Talia. With so many speculative talls in the list (and all except for Minson are still speculative at this point in time), and with a number of mid sized forwards who all have questionable pace and inconsistent defensive output (Gia, Higgins, Dickson), is it any wonder why we have so few run and carry options with pace coming through and why our list looks completely lop-sided as a result.

chef
25-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I get what you're saying, but the fact that our supposed running players (mids, flanker types) don't offer enough spread and run & carry is the main reason why we are struggling in this area.

Are we playing too many 'crack in' types and not enough sheep dogs?

I guess it also comes down to the quality(and availability) of these sheep dogs. It's going to take a fair few drafts to fix our list, hope Dalrymple and J.McCartney are up to it.

Mantis
25-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Are we playing too many 'crack in' types and not enough sheep dogs?.

I guess it also comes down to the quality(and availability) of these sheep dogs. It's going to take a fair few drafts to fix our list, hope Dalrymple and J.McCartney are up to it.

We don't have a heap of 'sheep dogs' on the list with Tutt & Sherman being the only like players... Tutt has been injured all year and Sherman is out of favour... If only Eagleton was still around. :eek:

Agree that the recruiters/ list manager have the job in front of them.

Ozza
25-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Outs
Ins

Personally, I wouldn't be dropping our leading goal kicker, and the bloke who would arguably be leading our best and fairest.

Certainly would like to see DJ and Sherman in the team.

Ozza
25-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Outs: Cordy; Smith; Campbell

Ins: Sherman or Djerkerra; Veszpremi; Minson

Not potting Cordy overall, he had a bad game, and that's going to happen with a young bloke - but I'd like to see him go to Willy and work on leading up at the footy. Too often he stood 60-70m from the kicker and didn't lead to space in front of him. If he did lead - he lead very very wide.

BulldogBelle
25-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Austin out for Markovic - Hurley will treat Austin like a Rag Doll

Smith out for Djerkerra - we need some pace - Djerkerra to alternate between the forward pocket and midfield - we need a crumber at the fall of the ball in our forward line

Campbell out for Minson - excellent debut, but our #1 ruckman comes back into the side

Addision out for Hargrave - we missed Shaggy's disposal under pressure. Dylan has been spanked 2 weeks in a row by Ebert then by McGrath

Roughead out for Sherman - thinking is to persist with Jones and Cordy in our forward line as targets - with Minson resting there- we simply need some more pace and playing 3 ruckmen is robbing us of run

Cooney or Gia to play as the sub

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I didn't watch the game on Saturday but can somebody explain to me the lack of love for Austin? I would have thought he's been pretty serviceable down there this year?? Not too many winners at all on Saturday so basing it on one game seems a bit unfair.

G-Mo77
25-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I didn't watch the game on Saturday but can somebody explain to me the lack of love for Austin? I would have thought he's been pretty serviceable down there this year?? Not too many winners at all on Saturday so basing it on one game seems a bit unfair.

I'm pretty sure he was responsible for Merrett which is probably why he's listed as an out. He didn't get much help because the mildfield stood back and watched their opponents deliver the ball with precision. Personally I think he's safe. Marko's been back in the VFL for one week and would probably need a couple more before being selected. It was a horrible week for Williamstown to have the bye.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 03:15 PM

I think its totally unfair. He was one of 22 blokes who had either pretty poor or damn aweful games on Saturday. I'd put Austin down to a one-off compared to his previous weeks. There are others who are regularly letting themselves down. We don't have the players we need on our list to help us enourmously at this point so we just need to ride this out. Unfortunately, you can watch whoever gets culled to be simply called up the folowing week. Its a revolving door because the only way forward is the draft.

FWIW I'd bring Sherman and DJ in at this point to try to help with pace and drop Roughy and any one of our 26,000 :eek: inside mids (whomever needs a break maybe libba). I say that because we have to try something, not because I think it will make the difference that we actually need.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 03:16 PM

You can be thankful :(

DragzLS1
25-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I think Austin is safe think he has been doing really well for us.. Our mids didnt help, but tehn again our forwards didnt help our mids so everything was in shambles.

Need dj and Sherman in imo need the leg speed!

Man I would love to take out essendon! Absolutely hate the supporters! Actually dont mind some of the players, especially Watson who I think is a great capton but hate the club so bad luck..

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 03:58 PM
In - DJ, Sherman, Ves, Minson

Out - Smith, Cooney, Cordy, Roughead

Campbell to play first ruck. Minson to spend more time up forward.

Really hope Tutt can string a couple of good games at Willy, we need him.

w3design
25-06-2012, 03:59 PM
The first guy to get dropped needs to be the boot studder, or the purchasing officer who buys the boots. I have never seen so many players incapable of retaining their footing in decades of watching footy [ and that on a protected surface].

Then we could try putting glue on the soles of Gia's boots to help him stay on his feet [ Couldn't hurt, and it could not possibly make him any slower].

If we had our entire list to choose from, we still would not have the pace to go with Essendon unfortunately...Message for the recruitment staff!!!.

Panos deserves a shot, but this is not the right week, pace or lack of being his weakness.

Some one suggested dropping Ayce back to practice being a leading forward... Would not happen. As soon as he got to Williamstown he would immediately be sent into the ruck role.

Austin needs to be played as 3rd or 4th tall back not KPD, so the sooner Williams and Marko are available the better. If neither are up for this week, I would send Ruffy down back for the weekend, and retain Campbell as second ruck to the Mighty Minno.

Grant might have some pace, but if we replace one forward who is not having a lot of impact with a quicker one who has none, it would gain us bugg*r all.

Higgo seems to be getting his act together, but we still cannot have Higgo, Gia and a lame Coons in the forward line together.

I'd keep Coons down there, look for another or alternating role for Higgo, and put the instant glue on Gia's boot soles while he is still in the change rooms.

Bulldog Joe
25-06-2012, 04:04 PM
In - DJ, Sherman, Ves, Minson

Out - Smith, Cooney, Cordy, Roughead

Campbell to play first ruck. Minson to spend more time up forward.
Really hope Tutt can string a couple of good games at Willy, we need him.

I seriously don't get this.

Campbell was good on debut, but Minson is having a terrific year as FIRST RUCK
and you want him to go back to being the forward everyone hated.

I am in favour of Campbell being retained, but he is the one to spend time forward. He also looks like he can take a mark(and did in the NAB cup). Also on NAB Cup form he is probably the best kick at goal of all the talls.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 04:15 PM

I am in favour of Campbell being retained, but he is the one to spend time forward. He also looks like he can take a mark(and did in the NAB cup). Also on NAB Cup form he is probably the best kick at goal of all the talls.

Amen Joe....

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Is Minson going to be the first ruck when we have our next tilt? I highly doubt it. May as well see what Campbell can offer.

Campbell proved on the weekend his a pretty good tap ruckmen.

Maybe they could split it 50/50.

Cyberdoggie
25-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty sure he was responsible for Merrett which is probably why he's listed as an out. He didn't get much help because the mildfield stood back and watched their opponents deliver the ball with precision. Personally I think he's safe. Marko's been back in the VFL for one week and would probably need a couple more before being selected. It was a horrible week for Williamstown to have the bye.

Austin will stay in, Markovic has played 1 game from a long lay off and McCartney has shown he doesn't jump at shadows after a bad game.

Yes it's two in a row but Austin has been very reliable, other than the lions game. He'll play this week for sure and if Markovic stands tall for Willy then perhaps the following week we may see a change.

Campbell out after 1 week?, well what was the point of elevating him honestly!
I initially queried his promotion because Minson was only going to be out for a week, ok so we have promoted him, in which case the coach can only be of the opinion that he wants to play him for more than just 1 week.

So now we have another problem!, how to you make 4 into 2?
Well Minson needs to play simply because he's our best and most experienced ruckman.
So we need another part time ruck who can play forward. (1 of Roughead, Campbell or Cordy) Add Jones as a permanent forward and this probably our ideal combination for balance of talls (if they could play to their potential).

If we see Minson, Roughead, Jones and Cordy lining up for the game this weekend, you can bank on another thrashing.

w3design
25-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Is Minson going to be the first ruck when we have our next tilt? I highly doubt it. May as well see what Campbell can offer.

If we were to drop every player by that criterion, we would be very lucky to have 22 players to field a team at all.
It will likely be 3 years at best, maybe 5 before our next shot, very few of the current senior team will still be up to the task by then.

Desipura
25-06-2012, 08:08 PM

I hope Minson continues his good form. We should look at trading one of 4 ruckman on our list to put us in a strong position come trade and draft time.
Roughy, Cordy and Campbell are in the early 20's. I expect at the very least one of them will forge a long and successful career with us.

Minson at 27yo is in his prime and what he has produced this year has been very good, I highly doubt that he could take his game to a higher level.
Given how much BMac likes the way Campbell goes about it, I am almost certain he will be elevated onto the senior list at seasons end.
I would think we could get clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong, St Kilda and Collingwood fighting over Minsons services, which would increase his trade value.

Given he is out of contract at seasons end, I would offer Minson a reasonable contract and if a club offers a lot more, I would hope we can trade with that club.
The club interested in Minson would want to deal with us rather than taking a punt on Minson being available at their pick.

Pickenitup
25-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Gia Out for 4 weeks Grant to come in?

azabob
25-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Where is that reported?

Desipura
25-06-2012, 08:44 PM

You can see his body is failing him, would not be surprised if he gets a send off game at seasons end, he deserves this at the very least.

Pickenitup
25-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Club website

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 09:15 PM
If we were to drop every player by that criterion, we would be very lucky to have 22 players to field a team at all.
It will likely be 3 years at best, maybe 5 before our next shot, very few of the current senior team will still be up to the task by then.

Who said anything about dropping Minson?

Just suggestion we give Campbell a decent run at it. See what he has to offer.

Wouldn't hurt giving Minson a go down forward, the forward line isn't exactly setting the world on fire, a change wouldn't hurt.

chef
25-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Apparently Gia's out for a month with foot stress fractures.

Hotdog60
25-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Could open a door for Panos.

Rocco Jones
25-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Apparently Gia's out for a month with foot stress fractures.

I hate the Gia bashers and while he isn't perfect, I have long defended him and rated his contributions to the team. This season is different as it seems like the wheels have really fallen off. I truly hate saying this but I feel as if the injury is 'good' for the team. Fair enough if anyone bags me for it, probably shouldn't say it.

Posters are saying we have one too many rucks with Roughy and Ayce (I know Ayce is seen as a pure forward by B-Mac) but I think it borders on two too many with Jones. If we had a decent power forward I feel as if Jones would benefit as a part time/2nd ruck option (I know I love it). He goes missing for massive parts of the game, along with his goal kicking his confidence is easily dented. He is a physical kid. I feel having a couple of spells in the ruck can give a player the feel that he is at least contributing. Easier to be physically competitive for a bit in the ruck than to clunk marks and score goals. Perfect alongisde a pure ruck like Minson.

So basically we have...
Will Minson= out and out ruck, struggles up forward. With his change to the #1 ruck role this season we see what a massive difference it makes.

Campbell= I think he is more of an out and out ruck than the other kids. I don't feel like he will suit the 2nd ruck role but it's not like Roughy and Ayce do much forward. We might as well give him a crack.

Roughy= not sure what to make of him. Not ready for #1 ruck role and the two above are well ahead anyway. Think he is at least a bit off being in the side as a pure key-defender and a combo of not clunking enough marks and his goal kicking means he doesn't add enough value forward.

Cordy= rate him a bit more than Roughy forward but just doesn't do enough.

Jones= already explained.

So basically Minson, really rate his ruck work this season. Need a 2nd ruck who can play elsewhere. Even though I don't really rate the short term (or even long term development of 'just playing) we need to play a tall forward as it suits our just kick it long style as well as our small forward not being much chop anyway.

Love Addison's endeavour but he simply isn't good enough a 'glove' to cover for his other defencies. I feel as if he is only there to make a statement that you get a game if you work hard no matter what.

IN: Minson, DJ, Shaggy, Vez, Sherman
OUT: Roughead, Jones, Gia, Addison, Smith (just to get some game time into him after being a sub a few times)

azabob
25-06-2012, 10:43 PM
RJ, so you are going with the same amount of bigmen? By reading your post I thought you would drop Campbell, Cordy and Roughead but you only drop Rough for Minson?

If you don't support your own theory (Minson & Jones) as ruckman who will?? ;)

azabob
25-06-2012, 10:44 PM
A few posters are wanting Hargrave back in, he hasn't played for 3 weeks now, I wonder what his injury really is?

Rocco Jones
25-06-2012, 10:45 PM
RJ, so you are going with the same amount of bigmen? By reading your post I thought you would drop Campbell, Cordy and Roughead but you only drop Rough for Minson?

If you don't support your own theory (Minson & Jones) as ruckman who will?? ;)

Am I? I said Roughy and Jones out and only Minson as a big man in.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 10:49 PM
If we had a decent power forward I feel as if Jones would benefit as a part time/2nd ruck option (I know I love it). He goes missing for massive parts of the game, along with his goal kicking his confidence is easily dented. He is a physical kid. I feel having a couple of spells in the ruck can give a player the feel that he is at least contributing. Easier to be physically competitive for a bit in the ruck than to clunk marks and score goals. Perfect alongisde a pure ruck like Minson.

Thoughtful post, Rocco, but I have to disagree with your take (above) on LJ being 'a physical kid' and that it is 'easier to be physically competitive for a bit in the ruck than to clunk marks and score goals'. Contrary to your take, I fear that at the moment Liam is lacking a bit in the physical side of his game - often he is not behind the ball at the contest. Perhaps it is a confidence thing or just a bad habit, but either way, getting the opposition's #1 ruckman's knee in your ribs isn't going to help much to improve it. I think he needs to go back to Willy, work on his presence and his presentation at the ball - that is, really impress himself on a good couple of VFL games - and then come back and do the same in the ones. (Matty Panos would have to do similar to get any sort of look-in).

Ayce is in similar territory, I reckon. Lots of skill, just an almost complete lack of mongrel.

It was interesting to note the presence Browny had on the ground the other day. Hally had it - it's that swagger that says you're 'the big dog'. I reckon Campbell's got it, too; saw a bit of it against Huddo in the game, and its evident in the NAB Cup footage on the website. We could have done with a bit more of it across the board on Saturday. It's the major reason we need Big Will back in the centre, getting a chop-out from the rookie mongrel. And Roughie playing a more pure KP role - either FF or even CHB.

Out: Jones, Cordy, Addison
In: Minson, DJ, Sherman

Rocco Jones
25-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Thoughtful post, Rocco, but I have to disagree with your take (above) on LJ being 'a physical kid' and that it is 'easier to be physically competitive for a bit in the ruck than to clunk marks and score goals'. Contrary to your take, I fear that at the moment Liam is lacking a bit in the physical side of his game - often he is not behind the ball at the contest. Perhaps it is a confidence thing or just a bad habit, but either way, getting the opposition's #1 ruckman's knee in your ribs isn't going to help much to improve it. I think he needs to go back to Willy, work on his presence and his presentation at the ball - that is, really impress himself on a good couple of VFL games - and then come back and do the same in the ones. (Matty Panos would have to do similar to get any sort of look-in).

Ayce is in similar territory, I reckon. Lots of skill, just an almost complete lack of mongrel.

It was interesting to note the presence Browny had on the ground the other day. Hally had it - it's that swagger that says you're 'the big dog'. I reckon Campbell's got it, too; saw a bit of it against Huddo in the game, and its evident in the NAB Cup footage on the website. We could have done with a bit more of it across the board on Saturday. It's the major reason we need Big Will back in the centre, getting a chop-out from the rookie mongrel. And Roughie playing a more pure KP role - either FF or even CHB.

Out: Jones, Cordy, Addison
In: Minson, DJ, Sherman

I actually agree with that.

I think I was overselling my point, just mean that at least in the ruck you can get near the action. Jones just has such massive patches of offering little, could help with With our set up its no chance either way as we need to play at least one of Campbell, Ayce or Roughy.

Sockeye Salmon
25-06-2012, 11:45 PM
I hope Minson continues his good form. We should look at trading one of 4 ruckman on our list to put us in a strong position come trade and draft time.
Roughy, Cordy and Campbell are in the early 20's. I expect at the very least one of them will forge a long and successful career with us.

Minson at 27yo is in his prime and what he has produced this year has been very good, I highly doubt that he could take his game to a higher level.
Given how much BMac likes the way Campbell goes about it, I am almost certain he will be elevated onto the senior list at seasons end.
I would think we could get clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong, St Kilda and Collingwood fighting over Minsons services, which would increase his trade value.

Given he is out of contract at seasons end, I would offer Minson a reasonable contract and if a club offers a lot more, I would hope we can trade with that club.
The club interested in Minson would want to deal with us rather than taking a punt on Minson being available at their pick.

Minson is an unrestricted free agent. Rather than trade him, all we could do is watch him walk away. The AFL would give us a 3rd rounder as compensation, though.

w3design
26-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Would hate to see Jones thrust into [ even part time 2nd] ruck until he has another 5-8kg on his frame. Then maybe, if it were needed.
That would be as big a risk as it was last year to try using Tommy W. that way. Underdeveloped kids, or fragile individuals [ in TW's case] is just to big a risk, for to little potential reward.
We have Will., Campbell and Roughy who are all sufficiently physically developed to cope, why the hell would you risk anyone else?
Makes no sense to me at all, at this time.

azabob
26-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Am I? I said Roughy and Jones out and only Minson as a big man in.

Apologies, so we go with Campbell, Cordy and Minson?

I'm not sure on playing Minson and Campbell in the same side.

chef
26-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Minson is an unrestricted free agent. Rather than trade him, all we could do is watch him walk away. The AFL would give us a 3rd rounder as compensation, though.

Won't that depend on what contract he is offered?

Sockeye Salmon
26-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Won't that depend on what contract he is offered?

Mostly it would depend on a whim of the AFL

chef
26-06-2012, 09:09 AM

They would have to feel sorry for us(or I hope they do) as that would be three players in three years they have caused us to lose.

azabob
26-06-2012, 10:49 AM
They would have to feel sorry for us(or I hope they do) as that would be three players in three years they have caused us to lose.

They? I think we have been our worst own enemy in losing Harbrow, Ward and possibly Minson.

Mantis
26-06-2012, 12:51 PM
In: Minson, Hargrave, Djerrkura, Sherman, Grant
Out: Gia, Addison, Cordy, Smith, Campbell

Campbell was good last week, but his fitness levels aren't where Roughy's are.

Jones gets the nod over Cordy.... just.

bornadog
26-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Campbell was good last week, but his fitness levels aren't where Roughy's are.

He was pretty tired in the second half last week.

whythelongface
26-06-2012, 01:18 PM
We definitely need some pace so would bring in DJ and Sherman (even though from reports he has been average at best at Willi). Where is Grant at? Is he fit enough to come back into the side?

Earlier on in the season I was of the opinion that Jones should stay in the seniors but I have changed my mind and think that it is best he spent a couple of games (at least) at Willi to get some confidence back. Same goes for Roughy. I would like to see Campbell have a go at FF, though that leaves me thinking what to do with Cordy - can't see them both being selected. Therefore Campbell heads back down to Willi

Ins: DJ, Minson, Sherman, Grant (? depends on fitness)
Outs: Gia, Jones, Roughy, Campbell

If Jones and Roughy are dropped who plays at CHF?

G-Mo77
26-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I'll take a stab this week. I'm sure the actual changes will be a little more conservative though.

In - Minson, Grant, Djerrkura, Panos, Sherman
Out - Cordy, Cooney, Smith, Roughead, Giansiracusa

Minson in for obvious reasons.

I'm taking Jones over Cordy this week, play Jones at CHF and leave the FF spot open for....

Panos, promoted him to the senior list after last season and it's the perfect chance to get some games into him. I'm still not sold but what have we got to lose.

DJ comes in to provide some pace and pressure in the forward half.

Don't know what's been going on with Grant but I'd have him back into the team. His presence up forward has been missed. 2nd efforts, tackling, chasing have all improved a lot this season.

Sherman in for more run and carry.

Campbell over Roughead. Nothing to do with Roughy's game as he was OK on Saturday but more to do with Campbell getting a string of games together.

LostDoggy
26-06-2012, 02:06 PM
This week we combat....

Hille and Ryder and speed and speed and speed.

I think Minson, DJ and Sherman will be automatic inclusions. Jones, Gia & Roughie or Ayce Out

w3design
26-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Ain't that the awful bloody truth.:eek:

Greystache
28-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Official Team

In- Minson, Sherman, Hargrave, Markovic

Out- Wallis, Gia, Cordy, Austin

Greystache
28-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Wallis listed as being rested.

Remi Moses
28-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Official Team

In- Minson, Sherman, Hargrave, Markovic

Out- Wallis, Giant, Cordy, Austin

Giant? Fraudient slip:D

Greystache
28-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Giant? Fraudient slip:D

I'll claim it :D, but in reality it's the completely unpredictable predictive Swype app I'm using on my tablet at the moment.

bornadog
28-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Austin very unlucky after one bad game

Greystache
28-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Agree, but Markovic has done a good job on Hurley previously, Lake will take Ryder, and I think if we need another tall defender for a resting ruckman/Carlisle pushing forward Roughead will get the job.

bornadog
28-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Agree, but Markovic has done a good job on Hurley previously, Lake will take Ryder, and I think if we need another tall defender for a resting ruckman/Carlisle pushing forward Roughead will get the job.

I guess the MC rate Markovic over Austin. Anyway, we have enough talls to cover them. Good to see Campbell get another go and Jones is very lucky.

Remi Moses
28-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Agree Austin very stiff. Would have kept Ayce in and dropped Roughy also why do we persist with 3 ruckman? Going to be another tough day at the office!

Eastdog
28-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Agree Austin very stiff. Would have kept Ayce in and dropped Roughy also why do we persist with 3 ruckman? Going to be another tough day at the office!

How many rucks are good for a team to have?

LostDoggy
28-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Team looks very top heavy and slow for mine. I would have had one of Jones or Roughead out for a small. Will be interesting to see who gets the sub possie.

Remi Moses
28-06-2012, 08:29 PM
How many rucks are good for a team to have?

I'd say two, we're having a bit each way.
The three are rucks who can pinch hit forward at best.

Eastdog
28-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd say two, we're having a bit each way.
The three are rucks who can pinch hit forward at best.

Agree. 2 rucks is enough for a team. One main ruck which is Minson and a replacement ruck if number 1 is injured or suspended. Who do you think is the closest at being our number 2 ruck. Cordy or Roughy.

LostDoggy
28-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I still think its top heavy. 3 rucks all of whom are poor forwards.

azabob
28-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Agree we are very top heavy, still sceptical that Campbell can play forward. I truly think we are heading down the Hudson/Minson scenario by playing Minson/Campbell.

It is obvious that McCartney has a longterm vision of structurally how he wants his football to line up.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I still think its top heavy. 3 rucks all of whom are poor forwards.

Add to that a KP forward in Jones who is struggling to have any impact. Being tall doesn't make you top heavy, being tall and not being very good does. We are carrying two tall forwards plus another tall who will spend most of their TOG forward.

I know the delivery is awful but our forward line is as bad as it gets in the big league.

SonofScray
28-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Too tall, too slow I think.

Not confident how this will play out.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Too tall, too slow I think.

Not confident how this will play out.

We are kinda stuffed either way. Our smalls forwards are slow anyway. I know Picken is needed elsewhere but I would like him up forward. Fast, tackles and has a really good goal sense.

SonofScray
28-06-2012, 10:43 PM
We are kinda stuffed either way. Our smalls forwards are slow anyway. I know Picken is needed elsewhere but I would like him up forward. Fast, tackles and has a really good goal sense.

An under rated attribute at Footscray in recent years. I often think we miss out a bit by ignoring goal sense in the gamut of skills a player can offer. I like Hooper and Grant on that front and like to look past some of their clear limitations. Not saying they should be in, just that the balance needs to be right.

Cyberdoggie
28-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Interesting that on the WB website today there is a video on Austin talking up his rookie elevation and how he's had a bit of luck with others being injured for once and getting a consistent game.

Guess he spoke to soon.

The Pie Man
28-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Not how I would've played it, but not the worst scenario.

Good luck to Roughead if Essendon throw a third tall forward and he plays down back to cover. I'd rather Austin in this instance though if he needs a rest and you want to see if Jordan can do this role then why not (personally I think his lack of pace will be exposed, but let's see)

Hargrave is a good in, but I think we should be taking the opportunity at this stage to move on. We've got three talls down there already and Wood can play medium.

Have become increasingly pessimistic over the past 3 weeks, and not looking forward to what can be a lonely experience as a Dogs fan at Essendon home games.

AndrewP6
28-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Not how I would've played it, but not the worst scenario.

Good luck to Roughead if as named/expected he plays down back. I'd rather Austin, though if he needs a rest and you want to see if Jordan can do this role then why not (personally I think his lack of pace will be exposed, but let's see)

Hargrave is a good in, but I think we should be taking the opportunity at this stage to move on. We've got three talls down there already and Wood can play medium.

Have become increasingly pessimistic over the past 3 weeks, and not looking forward to what can be a lonely experience as a Dogs fan at Essendon home games.

Same. I'll go, but I have to rustle up some enthusiasm.

GVGjr
28-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Gee these selections are getting increasingly hard to fathom. We are playing 3 genuine ruckman and I can't fathom why. Brendan McCartney is nothing if not determined to the end to make the 3 ruckman experiment work. Campbell as the full forward is an interesting experiment.

We lacked run last week but we certainly haven't addressed it this week.

bornadog
28-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Hopefully Sherman can give us some run.

DragzLS1
29-06-2012, 12:05 AM

Sherman in for gia.. We have addressed the run ;) haha

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Interesting selections. I'm happy to see Campbell at ff though.

G-Mo77
29-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Campbell as the full forward is an interesting experiment.

In the short amount of time he was there last week he looked more likely to take a grab than Cordy. Not sure on his kicking though. From watching him in the warm ups last week he seems to able to get good distance by foot but it's a different story lining up for goal in an actual game.

westdog54
29-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Gee these selections are getting increasingly hard to fathom. We are playing 3 genuine ruckman and I can't fathom why. Brendan McCartney is nothing if not determined to the end to make the 3 ruckman experiment work. Campbell as the full forward is an interesting experiment.

Have to agree with this. Minson, Roughead and Campbell all in the line up is plain bizarre.

The 3 tall forward line was a debacle last week and I think it is doomed to failure again.

I'm not as pessimistic as some about Campbell at full forward but having said that I haven't physically seen him play forward.

With Hargrave back in and Wood and Lake down back we're not short of blokes inclined to run and carry from the backline, Howard may also rotate through there. If we're struggling by the third quarter (and I can see us struggling from the first bounce to be frank) I wouldn't mind seeing one of the ruckmen being subbed and Murphy playing at CHF, leaving Jones to play deeper.

Our forward line has had no structure whatsoever of late and I think Murphy is the man to correct this as an interim measure. It might even have a positive effect on Jones' learning to watch how someone like Bob works up close. Of course given how important Bob has been in defence I can't see it happening.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2012, 03:21 AM

It's really strange. At least with Cordy, you could argue he's more of a forward -- but the trio of Minson, Campbell and Roughead are firmly ruckmen first.

Perhaps Roughy is capable at both ends, but he can't kick.

I'd be filthy if I was Austin -- one bad game and he's gone. Markovic hasn't played for a few months and receives an instant call? I don't agree with that at all.

I think he's most likely going to be the sub.

Hotdog60
29-06-2012, 06:29 AM

Sherman listed as the sub. So his run will be short unless we get an early injury.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Sherman listed as the sub. So his run will be short unless we get an early injury.

How is he listed as the sub 2 days before the game?
He might be the sub but they name them 1 hour before start.

bornadog
29-06-2012, 11:22 AM
In the short amount of time he was there last week he looked more likely to take a grab than Cordy. Not sure on his kicking though. From watching him in the warm ups last week he seems to able to get good distance by foot but it's a different story lining up for goal in an actual game.

He is a thumping kick, but as you say more pressure when you are playing senior AFL.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 11:43 AM

I get the feeling they have decided the year is just about testing out the big men we have with a view to the future. No way they could be serious about playing three ruckman long term but no one of them is yet standing up saying "it's me" for our full forward. You'd have to think they are trying to determine whether they will draft a more traditional full forward at the end of the year or if one of these blokes can make it longterm in the forward line. Not gonna win us games short term but I'm less and less convinced that is the structural focus of the teams they are fielding. Rightly or wrongly.....

Maddog37
29-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree. This year is completely future focussed it appears. The actual outcome of matches and ladder position is not even a consideration.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I fail to see how testing out 3 rucks at once is more important than testing out a forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I get the feeling they have decided the year is just about testing out the big men we have with a view to the future. No way they could be serious about playing three ruckman long term but no one of them is yet standing up saying "it's me" for our full forward. You'd have to think they are trying to determine whether they will draft a more traditional full forward at the end of the year or if one of these blokes can make it longterm in the forward line. Not gonna win us games short term but I'm less and less convinced that is the structural focus of the teams they are fielding. Rightly or wrongly.....

You're probably right, good post. My father has been saying something similiar, the side we've picked this week probably backs up your point.

Does this mean we don't rate Panos and Tom Hill?

bornadog
29-06-2012, 02:07 PM
You're probably right, good post. My father has been saying something similiar, the side we've picked this week probably backs up your point.

Maybe they are not showing enough at VFL level.

Desipura
29-06-2012, 02:25 PM

There may be an attitude issue with Tom Hill.

Greystache
29-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Maybe they are not showing enough at VFL level.

You'd have to assume that is the case. I don't understand what they're looking for Panos to do before they pick him. 3 games ago he played in defence and was one of Willi's better players, the next week he played in the ruck and did a good job on a bad day for the team, then last match he plays forward, kicks 4 and is in the best players.

If a Cordy or a Grant kicked 4 goals in the VFL they'd be rushed straight into the seniors.

G-Mo77
29-06-2012, 02:40 PM
You'd have to assume that is the case. I don't understand what they're looking for Panos to do before they pick him. 3 games ago he played in defence and was one of Willi's better players, the next week he played in the ruck and did a good job on a bad day for the team, then last match he plays forward, kicks 4 and is in the best players.

If a Cordy or a Grant kicked 4 goals in the VFL they'd be rushed straight into the seniors.

I guess there is still time but I'd really like to see what he can do at AFL level this season. A good stint at that level as well not a game here and there. As you pointed out he's easily done enough to warrant selection. It was a really good chance to get him in this week without the 3 ruck project but it looks like we're sticking with that.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 02:49 PM

Man that's disappointing to hear :( Hope it's heresay or a short-term issue rather than a position the club has reached with him

G-Mo77
29-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Attitude as in "Can't be bothered", "Dam I'm good" or other?

Care to elaborate?

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Heard on SEN around 12:30 that Lindsay Gilbee has withdrawn for Mitch Wallis. It made little sense as Golbee is an emergency.

Mantis
29-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Heard on SEN around 12:30 that Lindsay Gilbee has withdrawn for Mitch Wallis. It made little sense as Golbee is an emergency.

My guess is that it will be Wallis back in for Cooney who was reported doubtful mid week.

always right
29-06-2012, 05:03 PM
My guess is that it will be Wallis back in for Cooney who was reported doubtful mid week.

Not that long ago Cooney used to mark Essendon games on his calendar at the beginning of the year for a guaranteed 3 Brownlow votes. Sigh.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 05:24 PM
For mine if Wallis comes in for Cooney he will be the sub and Bobbie must play forward

Mantis
29-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Not that long ago Cooney used to mark Essendon games on his calendar at the beginning of the year for a guaranteed 3 Brownlow votes. Sigh.

Yep, it's shithouse.

I find it strange how we hear from the so called expects how players like Garry Hocking & Greg Williams got by with degenerative knee problems... Do they not realise that it's a completely different game that they are now playing?

Hotdog60
29-06-2012, 06:01 PM
How is he listed as the sub 2 days before the game?
He might be the sub but they name them 1 hour before start.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/ROUND14-TEAM-ANNOUNCEMENT_09.jpg

I was going by the yellow colour in the team selection. Unless that is for new inclusion.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 06:12 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/ROUND14-TEAM-ANNOUNCEMENT_09.jpg

I was going by the yellow colour in the team selection. Unless that is for new inclusion.

Yes the yellow ones are the inclusions.

Hotdog60
29-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Yes the yellow ones are the inclusions.

Ok. I'll give myself an uppercut.:)