PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors Round 13

Greystache
23-06-2012, 06:42 PM
This Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread enters round 13. Once the game against the Brisbane is concluded please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
23-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Bankers

Campbell - good 1st up
Lake - held Brown to just a point
Cross - full of courage!

Anchors
Cooney - gone?
Boyd -?
Jones - injured?

Remi Moses
23-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Bankers- Campbell ( promising debut)
The Draft- how many more sleeps?

Anchors- Cooney- think he's shot
Roughy- if he's a forward I'm a Dutchmans uncle
Jones- Gone backwards
Addison - back to his worst today

jeemak
23-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Bankers:

Howard - I know he got a lot of it, though what really impressed me was some of his usage by foot. Needs to keep learning how to defend, though today I thought he showed he could be very dangerous by foot, and once he learns when to take a risk he'll be a very good player for us

Lake - Keeping Brown inneffective in a pummelling is a very good effort. The King of the Bogans was well within his rights to towell us up today

Higgins - I thought he tried hard to create and be involved in the game.

Anchors:

Our inability to balance numbers at the ball, this cracking in mantra is leaving us so exposed it's not funny when we don't win it

Too many others to worry about

GVGjr
23-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Bankers

- Happy with Howards effort. Needs to work on his right foot.
- Lake was brilliant

Anchors

- Goal kicking conversions.
- As above

always right
23-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Bankers:
Campbell....and that's about it.

Anchors:
The entire team. You would think after the week we've had where one of our players has been potted and the club's culture has been questioned, there would be an appropriate response. Nope......we capitulated yet again. This is becoming a regular feature when we lose. There appears to be no-one who can inspire any sort of resistance....just one way traffic today.

Maddog37
23-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Bankers

- Happy with Howards effort. Needs to work on his right foot.
- Lake was brilliant

Anchors

- Goal kicking conversions.
- As above

Same for me with mention to Campbell on debut.

We played like a team that was tanking today.

Pickenitup
23-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Bankers
Campbell Showed he will be a very good player for us
Howard showed he can use the ball

Anchors
The Leadership group for showing no leadership

ratsmac
23-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Bankers
Campbell, looked like he's played 50 games already. Great debut.
Lake, done well on Brown.

Anchors
The team as a group need to stop pointing fingers and do the hard things themselves.
Jones, he is a liability when he doesn't show up like today.
The forward line, letting the ball rebound out ten times quicker than it arrived (although delivery was poor all over the ground never helps)

bornadog
23-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Bankers

Libba- This second year player knows how to get the ball and find a team mate.

Howard - Starting to get his confidence up and got plenty of the ball as well. As others have said, where the hell is that right foot. Should have kicked a goal but tried to do a banana with the left.

Higgins - thought his kicking and tenacity were pretty good today.

Anchors

The constant long kicking into the fwd 50 to no one. Brisbane showed us how to enter the 50.

The chances that once more went begging and kicking points.

The supporters again not showing up. What is the excuse this time.

westdog54
23-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Anchors

Seconded. I spent an extra two hours getting to and from the game than I spent at the ground, but that's another story.

Bankers

Campbell. I won't quite call him the saviour yet but gee he impressed me. Very, very good tap ruckman, Had Hudson well beat.

Howard. Only he and Murphy seemed willing to take the game on and try and create something. Needs to have a crack with his right, though.

Cross. Bravest footballer I've seen play the game.

Anchors

There are a few in the gun, I'll sleep on it tonight before I post things I regret, but...

Jones. Was an absolute liability today.

Boyd. IF you're only going to get the ball 20 times you can't waste them. Needs to know his limitations.

This will hurt me more than it'll hurt the recipient - Gia. Watching him today, he seems resigned to the fact that he will lose any footrace he gets into, and seems intent to outbody his opponent every time. Not once did it go right for him. Being our leading goalkicker for the day doesn't save him, he was barely sighted after the second. T

Doc26
24-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Anchors

BD, fullly appreciate your sentiment but personally finding it difficult in 2012 to keep going back to the same well after so many near misses over so many years.

My first Footscray final was the 1974 Elimination against Colllingwood which turned out to be the start of many years of dealing with battle fatigue and after not missing one challenge since '74 the scars are now plentiful. With so much expectation built up around '09 - '10 to have it again taken from us, I can vouch for the whole 'through and through' deal being a bloody hard value to live by after ~40 plus years of continually falling short of the final hurdle.

I'm still on board but struggle to judge others poorly based on how much strength it takes to uphold what it means to be a 'through and through' Bulldog.

p.s. Who had the foresight / vision / hide so long ago to 'through and through' us anyway ? They have a whole lot to answer for.

Ghost Dog
24-06-2012, 12:13 PM
BD, fullly appreciate your sentiment but personally finding it difficult in 2012 to keep going back to the same well after so many near misses over so many years.

My first Footscray final was the 1974 Elimination against Colllingwood which turned out to be the start of many years of dealing with battle fatigue and after not missing one challenge since '74 the scars are now plentiful. With so much expectation built up around '09 - '10 to have it again taken from us, I can vouch for the whole 'through and through' deal being a bloody hard value to live by after ~40 plus years of continually falling short of the final hurdle.

I'm still on board but struggle to judge others poorly based on how much strength it takes to uphold what it means to be a 'through and through' Bulldog.

p.s. Who had the foresight / vision / hide so long ago to 'through and through' us anyway ? They have a whole lot to answer for.

While I understand how you feel, I'm sure Richmond or Melbourne supporters have the right to feel the same. Personally, in the grand scheme of things, I want to live my life, in my work and relationships and achieve goals like Will Minson lifts weights, like Liam Picken attacks a contest, and like Bob Murphy turns and twists. I want to follow a club that inspires me to make the best efforts in life and that always, a club that fights to the bitter end and always makes a contest. And that's why I'm so furious about yesterday and the Swans game. We all have bad days but hell, being beaten so badly on home turf by a cellar dweller was hard to swallow.

westdog54
24-06-2012, 02:12 PM
While I understand how you feel, I'm sure Richmond or Melbourne supporters have the right to feel the same. Personally, in the grand scheme of things, I want to live my life, in my work and relationships and achieve goals like Will Minson lifts weights, like Liam Picken attacks a contest, and like Bob Murphy turns and twists. I want to follow a club that inspires me to make the best efforts in life and that always, a club that fights to the bitter end and always makes a contest. And that's why I'm so furious about yesterday and the Swans game. We all have bad days but hell, being beaten so badly on home turf by a cellar dweller was hard to swallow.

There it is, right there. I was actually talking to a Brisbane fan on the train home. I told him I could handle losing, but I won't tolerate being towelled up without so much as a whimper. I won't tolerate players running around looking totally disinterested. I won't tolerate players giving up.

SlimPickens
24-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Bankers
Campbell- good competitive debut, had a tough day against Huddo and equipped himself well.

Libba- couldnt fault his effort yesterday, also noted his efforts in blocking for Griffen to help free him up from that flea Raines

Lake- Kept Brown goalless in a 10 goal hiding, good effort

Cross- courage personified.

Anchors

Boyd- was rockliffs direct opponent for much of the game and got comprehensibly beaten. The unwillingness to put his body on the line in defence on a couple of occasions also spoke volumes. Not a good day for the skipper.

Cordy- was very frustrated with this performance, he refused to lead and that gave me the shits.

Coaching- Why we did not man up Adcock all day is beyond comprehension. They tore shreds off us across half back and we simply did nothing to stop it

1eyedog
24-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Bankers: Campbell

Anchors: the coaching staff, why wasn't Addision moved off McGrath when it was obvious the game was going to get away from us early?

We'll hear a lot about development and nuturing and structures and adhering to the gameplan, but I question the coaching staffs technical ability to make ad hoc decisions on game day. I am losing faith in our coaching staffs ability to identify gaps in the structure at an early stage in the match, we seem to go into the contest with a set structure with little flexibility or scope for variation in it.

Mantis
24-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Include the Saints game in and it's been a 1/4 of our games this year that have been insipid.... It just isn't much fun watching us play anymore.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Bankers: Campbell

Anchors: the coaching staff, why wasn't Addision moved off McGrath when it was obvious the game was going to get away from us early?

We'll hear a lot about development and nuturing and structures and adhering to the gameplan, but I question the coaching staffs technical ability to make ad hoc decisions on game day. I am losing faith in our coaching staffs ability to identify gaps in the structure at an early stage in the match, we seem to go into the contest with a set structure with little flexibility or scope for variation in it.

Your anchors is a good summation. Before BMcC's appointment Addison wasn't considered good enough to be a regular and in the past two games has struggled against both Ebert and McGrath. Addison is a battler at best and his hardness at the ball obviously appeals to the coach. Our disposal is probably the worst in the AFL and whilst we have been competitive in the in close contests the attention to correct disposal is poor to say the least. The lack of pace in the midfield and up forward is still a major concern. Brisbane killed us with the use of their outside players and ability to spread.
The use of Wood who has genuine speed in a more attacking mid field role is worth trying. We also badly lack a crumbing forward given the use of players like Cordy, Roughead and Jones. Djerrkura could be well suited to this type of role.

LostDoggy
24-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Banker - Dickson. Love his attack on the ball.

Anchors - playing Smith instead of DJ.

The worst kick in today's footy is the bang the ball on the boot and hope it finds someone forward. We've gotta set up better so as to get a designated kicker free. Maybe the problem here is that other teams have the players to cover the ground and close our space (or more who are prepared to do so); even so there are also times where, under no pressure, we turn the ball over.

If our forward line is deemed slow, what hope have they got if we keep kicking it there hurriedly or without accuracy.

bornadog
24-06-2012, 11:12 PM
The worst kick in today's footy is the bang the ball on the boot and hope it finds someone forward.

This is one area Wood needs to improve on. He looked good running and bouncing the ball but unfortunately when he kicked it it went straight to the opposition on more than one occasion.

Sedat
24-06-2012, 11:34 PM
The worst kick in today's footy is the bang the ball on the boot and hope it finds someone forward.This is one of the cornerstones of our new game plan so I'm not expecting to see less of this as the season progresses....I'm not expecting to enjoy seeing it, nor am I expecting to enjoy seeing the opposition structure up to collect the errant kick unopposed, and then bang it straight back over our heads with interest time and again.

Ozza
25-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Bankers:

Higgins - played probably his best game of the year, one of the very few to have an impact.

Anchors:

Selection - we are far too slow, (of course we subbed out the one of our 4 big blokes that is mobile), we looked are far better side with Sherman and Djerkerra in there.

Cooney - missed all three of his chances - which were the only times he gave himself and opportunity to influence the game.

Overuse of the ball - charging inside 50 and we want to thread 3 or 4 handballs....are we trying to kick goals, or kick the best looking team goal of the year?

Dahlhaus - has been down few weeks, is good at running players down, but regularly misses tackles when a player is coming towards him, and was trying to do a bit too much when he had the footy.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Bankers - Nil

Anchors -

Where have all the rovers gone? With Cordy, Roughead and Jones rarely taking the big mark in the forward line the ball comes to ground regularly. Imagine the picnic Milne would have around this. Put Dalhouse there and leave him there.

Can one of our highly paid coaches rectify Griffens want to kick the ball across his body? He kicks at a 45 degree angle to where he is running.

Not since Tom Hafey have we seen a coach so pig-headed in not moving players when they are getting beaten. Addison, Austin. who was like a rabbit in the spot-light when playing deep and Cordy who despite his 6 inch height advantage was a liablity.

At no stage in the first three quarters did we look like playing to the fat side when coming out of attack and simply blindly kicked to a contest. What team does that these days?

Ozza
25-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Bankers - Nil

Anchors -

Where have all the rovers gone? With Cordy, Roughead and Jones rarely taking the big mark in the forward line the ball comes to ground regularly. Imagine the picnic Milne would have around this. Put Dalhouse there and leave him there.

Can one of our highly paid coaches rectify Griffens want to kick the ball across his body? He kicks at a 45 degree angle to where he is running.

Not since Tom Hafey have we seen a coach so pig-headed in not moving players when they are getting beaten. Addison, Austin. who was like a rabbit in the spot-light when playing deep and Cordy who despite his 6 inch height advantage was a liablity.

At no stage in the first three quarters did we look like playing to the fat side when coming out of attack and simply blindly kicked to a contest. What team does that these days?

Pretty spot on post EJ. I'm not phased about the Griffen kicking point. But your comments about Dahlhaus, Cordy, Addison and Austin - couldn't agree more.

We played some really dumb footy at times (a fair bit of the time). Gee I hope this over-obsession with contested footy - which is getting us killed currently - pays off in the long run.

Sockeye Salmon
25-06-2012, 12:05 PM
The worst kick in today's footy is the bang the ball on the boot and hope it finds someone forward.

The fact is that under the usual circumstances it's either that or get done for holding the ball where you are.

There are so many players around the ball and the defensive pressure is so high, you have no alternative.

The fault is not with the kicker, it's with the way we set up further down the ground. These scrub kicks under pressure will always happen, so we simply can't allow the opposition to set up 'plus one' in this area (to use popular recent vernacular). The second part is more old-fashioned - forwards to play in front and be first to move.

Sedat
25-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Dahlhaus - has been down few weeks, is good at running players down, but regularly misses tackles when a player is coming towards him, and was trying to do a bit too much when he had the footy.Missed one poor tackle on Redden early in the last qtr that cost us a goal but otherwise I haven't seen him miss too many tackles lately.

I reckon Dahlhaus is being judged quite harshly this season. Rightly or wrongly he is spending much more time in the midfield as is the wont of the new match commitee, and I think long-term this will be extremely valuable to the team - I love the idea of sound decision-makers and good users of the ball like Libba and Dahl powering our engine room in 2-3 years' time. Dahlhaus' work in the midfield this season has been underrated IMO - because he's not doing as much of the electrifying stuff his value is not as apparent but it is definitely there IMO. The fact that opposition clubs are already putting a lot of time into him defensively is testament to his talent and the danger he poses. The more time he spends in the middle in the formative stages of his career, the quicker his tank will build so that he can make sustained efforts more consistently every week and over the course of 120 minutes each week - remember we aren't contending for another 2-3 seasons so I'm thinking about our midfield set-up in 2015, and Libba, Wallis (if his rate of improvement this season continues) and Dahl is a pretty awesome starting midfield to potentially work with, especially with Griffen still at his prime.

Doc26
25-06-2012, 12:21 PM
While I understand how you feel, I'm sure Richmond or Melbourne supporters have the right to feel the same.

For some of us at least, not exactly the same right GD. For me, I've seen 3 Richmond premierships and them compete in 4 Grand Finals, even with Melbourne I've seen them 'compete' in the '88 and 2000 Grand Finals although '88 would've been a bit of a nightmare for them. My tally to date of Bulldog GFs seen is zip.

bornadog
25-06-2012, 12:42 PM
For some of us at least, not exactly the same right GD. For me, I've seen 3 Richmond premierships and them compete in 4 Grand Finals, even with Melbourne I've seen them 'compete' in the '88 and 2000 Grand Finals although '88 would've been a bit of a nightmare for them. My tally to date of Bulldog GFs seen is zip.

I was five when we last played in the GF. It really stinks and I am becoming very bitter about it.:o

chef
25-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I was five when we last played in the GF. It really stinks and I am becoming very bitter about it.:o

I'm just thankful that I've got Chelsea as well or I would be a very bitter supporter right now.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Me too and me too!!

Doc26
25-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Totally with you BD.

It's great that we do have the likes of Ghost Dog to keep us 'oldies' true to being 'through and through' but really I'm over having to be continually asked to 'remember 54' when 99% of us now would have absolutely no reckoning or appreciation for it other than being reminded of it through some historic footage that bobs up at every special occasion.

All our old timers are on the way out, if not gone, and I fear I'm up catching up to them. I have become bitter, aggrieved, aggravated, frustrated, angry to the point of despair wondering if our time will now ever come given the apparent obstacles in front of us with lagging membership, crap fixtures, awful stadium deals, gifts to expansion clubs, free agency and administration who often appear beholden to the game's gatekeepers for reasons largely inherited.

I'm fearing we have become South Melbourne of the 80s but with no place to turn.

Then again, there's always next week.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Totally with you BD.

It's great that we do have the likes of Ghost Dog to keep us 'oldies' true to being 'through and through' but really I'm over having to be continually asked to 'remember 54' when 99% of us now would have absolutely no reckoning or appreciation for it other than being reminded of it through some historic footage that bobs up at every special occasion.

All our old timers are on the way out, if not gone, and I fear I'm up catching up to them. I have become bitter, aggrieved, aggravated, frustrated, angry to the point of despair wondering if our time will now ever come given the apparent obstacles in front of us with lagging membership, crap fixtures, awful stadium deals, gifts to expansion clubs, free agency and administration who often appear beholden to the game's gatekeepers for reasons largely inherited.

I'm fearing we have become South Melbourne of the 80s but with no place to turn.

Then again, there's always next week.

You need to have a few long beers with Nuggety Back Pocket to recapture your passion :D

Doc26
25-06-2012, 05:02 PM
You need to have a few long beers with Nuggety Back Pocket to recapture your passion :D

He's certainly more resilient and upbeat than I am and he's been going through it since the early sixties.

btw I know he was keen to catch up with you pre game in the Victory Room but wasn't sure how to find you.

AndrewP6
25-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I was minus 15 when we last played in the GF. I can only hang my hat on the PF's, and I too am sick of hearing "I've seen my team win 3 premierships" and comments to that effect.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm just thankful that I've got Chelsea as well or I would be a very bitter supporter right now.

I'm the same with Melbourne Storm. Even if two of the three have technically been taken away from us I will never forget the experience of being at the 2007 & 2009 premierships.

Hotdog60
25-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I was 1 year old the last time the Dogs played in a GF and in another country. I just hope my mind is not in the same state or in a jar when we get to the next one.:eek:

LostDoggy
30-06-2012, 06:24 PM
The fact is that under the usual circumstances it's either that or get done for holding the ball where you are.

There are so many players around the ball and the defensive pressure is so high, you have no alternative.

The fault is not with the kicker, it's with the way we set up further down the ground. These scrub kicks under pressure will always happen, so we simply can't allow the opposition to set up 'plus one' in this area (to use popular recent vernacular). The second part is more old-fashioned - forwards to play in front and be first to move.

I think the problem is, in part, with the kicker. Under pressure we should still try to keep the ball lower, even rolling it along the ground, and kick to a designated place of advantage. This forces us to be on the move rather than be caught in a static contest. It is useless kicking the ball high up in the air without looking as it give the defenders too much time to get into position.

I accept that the forwards are also part of the problem when they don't seem to be instinctive enough, play from behind, play from in front when the situation clearly demands they be goal side and mobile, don't follow instructions or become static.

Watching Hawthorn last night, I felt they kicked the ball across their bodies or round corners and spotted up targets with precision most of the time. And under pressure they kicked it low if they could or to the side or in front of ( space) the leading forward. This has to be well drilled into them…..and into the forwards. It also has to to do with having pace and fitness, and accurate hand balls to keep providing triangles or squares for all play situations.

The up and under kicks generally occur when players become physically or mentally tired at the end of games.