PDA

View Full Version : MRP Findings for Round 13 :confused:

Doc26
25-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Can this Match Review Panel mob get any worse ?

'Low Impact', you have got to be kidding me. Did they actually view the incident ? Did they see the effect of his loose and deliberate swinging arm into Liam's face ?

Bewildered.

Simon Black, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a level two striking offence against Liam Picken, Brisbane Lions, during the third quarter of the Round 13 match between the Brisbane Lions and the Western Bulldogs, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday June 23, 2012.

In summary, he can accept a reprimand and 93.75 points towards his future record with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a level two offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 93.75 points towards his future record.

G-Mo77
25-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't try and work out how the MRP work things out, you'll go insane.

chef
25-06-2012, 06:47 PM
But he's a darling of the AFL so should he get favourable treatment.

Sockeye Salmon
25-06-2012, 07:13 PM
How can a bloke who has played for 12 years have no good or bad record?

SlimPickens
25-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Can this Match Review Panel mob get any worse ?

'Low Impact', you have got to be kidding me. Did they actually view the incident ? Did they see the effect of his loose and deliberate swinging arm into Liam's face ?

Bewildered.

I'm not sticking up for the match review panel but you neglected to mention the part which clearly says Western Bulldogs medical report. I'd assume that, that would have gone a long way into deeming the force of the contact.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not sticking up for the match review panel but you neglected to mention the part which clearly says Western Bulldogs medical report. I'd assume that, that would have gone a long way into deeming the force of the contact.

Its not like our club to kick up a stink about an obvious injustice.
We just bend over and take it happily.

azabob
25-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Its not like our club to kick up a stink about an obvious injustice.
We just bend over and take it happily.

The decision does not effect us either way, so not sure why we'd bother complaining and we have much bigger issues facing us at the moment.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 08:23 PM
The decision does not effect us either way, so not sure why we'd bother complaining and we have much bigger issues facing us at the moment.

Player hits one of ours, draws blood and we should just take it quietly. Pretty much typifies our club at the moment.
Bigger issues like how our on field performances match our off field ones?

azabob
25-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Player hits one of ours, draws blood and we should just take it quietly. Pretty much typifies our club at the moment.
Bigger issues like how our on field performances match our off field ones?

Yes we have massive issues on field and off and I don't think complaining about a MRP decision is the best way to spend our time and effort.

SlimPickens
25-06-2012, 08:51 PM

Agree Picken got on with it, as should everyone else.

Greystache
25-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes we have massive issues on field and off and I don't think complaining about a MRP decision is the best way to spend our time and effort.

No doubt if we did complain we'd have the same people complaining that we have more important things to spend our time on than complaining about the MRP. Just as we heard for months that the 10 minutes spent highlighting Libba not getting a rising star nomination was a massive waste of club resources. Ignoring the fact that Libba was personally robbed of the $5000 that goes along with the nomination.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Ok this is just an example.
Problem is we have spent precious little time defending/promoting our club of late and this was an opportunity.
We then wonder why the supporter base has disinclined and we lack drive on field.

Sedat
25-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Bigger issues like how our on field performances match our off field ones?I was very critical of our passive, submissive stance in the media last week, but I don't have an issue about us not making a complaint in this instance. Tribunal cases are so wildly inconsistent at the best of times, and we've benefitted as often as we've been shafted.

LostDoggy
25-06-2012, 11:24 PM
I was very critical of our passive, submissive stance in the media last week, but I don't have an issue about us not making a complaint in this instance. Tribunal cases are so wildly inconsistent at the best of times, and we've benefitted as often as we've been shafted.

Agree about the tribunal.
Maybe its not the right time to talk but we rarely have.
After last week not only were we seen as having an cultural issue but also accepting when others tarnish the club brand.
To me it seem its Now it ok for other clubs to beat our players because we asked for it and we won't stick up for ourselves
Maybe it's a case of too little too late.

Twodogs
25-06-2012, 11:25 PM

Agree Picken got on with it, as should everyone else.

Agree completely. If we were playing Brisbane again in a fortnight then it'd be worth complaining about. All we'd be doing in trying to get Black's suspension extended is benefit whoever Brisbane is playing the round after next.

bornadog
25-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I was sitting on level 2 above the interchange bench on Saturday and saw Pickens face full of blood. Basically Black is a dirty sniper and deliberately punched Picken with a back arm swing, make no mistake, he knew what he was doing. Based on other tribunal decisions for things like reckless conduct etc, he should have got at least 3 weeks for that.

The Pie Man
26-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Wonder what our medical report had to say...I'm guessing that unless your nose got broken then it was insufficient force...forget that Picken came off looking like the Joker there was that much claret on his face.

Weird, as per usual. As with others though, would be poor form for the club to try and 'milk' it. Didn't Dimma nearly get in trouble as a witness in a hearing for trying too hard to get someone off?

Doc26
26-06-2012, 12:43 AM
I was sitting on level 2 above the interchange bench on Saturday and saw Pickens face full of blood. Basically Black is a dirty sniper and deliberately punched Picken with a back arm swing, make no mistake, he knew what he was doing. Based on other tribunal decisions for things like reckless conduct etc, he should have got at least 3 weeks for that.

Spot on BD.

I'm not blaming the Club for not taking the issue up and we do need to focus on more pressing issues nonetheless Black's act was a cheap shot that was dirty and deliberate.

So much for the AFL's rhetoric on its concern for the image of the game. A player forced to leave the ground with blood streaming from his face following a deliberate swinging arm to the head.

Something is very wrong with a system that permits a player to escape penalty for such a hit other than wearing some carry over points. It shouldn't have to take Liam's jaw to be shattered to get Black a couple for that. This concoction of an early plea and good behaviiour for any incident is ludicrous.

AndrewP6
26-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Spot on BD.

I'm not blaming the Club for not taking the issue up and we do need to focus on more pressing issues nonetheless Black's act was a cheap shot that was dirty and deliberate.

So much for the AFL's rhetoric on its concern for the image of the game. A player forced to leave the ground with blood streaming from his face following a deliberate swinging arm to the head.

Something is very wrong with a system that permits a player to escape penalty for such a hit other than wearing some carry over points. It shouldn't have to take Liam's jaw to be shattered to get Black a couple for that. This concoction of an early plea and good behaviiour for any incident is ludicrous.

Meanwhile another bloke has his reputation trodden into the ground and has to serve a club-imposed, AFL endorsed suspension for giving a bit of lip. Idiots.

LostDoggy
26-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Black's act of swinging the fist/arm back was callous and on the same level as hitting with the elbow. I was sitting one row back from the fence and Picken was perhaps 60 yards away. The sound of the smack on his face was clear and sickening.

This is the most outrageous decision made by this committee and we know there have been many that fit into that category.

Four weeks as a minimum.

Maddog37
26-06-2012, 10:41 AM
The game is soft enough and if you are going to aggressively tag someone then occassionally you will cop one.

I would not want the club coming out and whinging about our players being hit as it is similar in vein to whinging about being sledged. Better to put it in the memory bank and get him next time.

Twodogs
26-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Basically Black is a dirty sniper and deliberately punched Picken with a back arm swing, make no mistake, he knew what he was doing.

I could be petty and mention how much influence Leigh Matthews had on Black as a coach. But I'm not so I wont.

LostDoggy
26-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I would like a club delegate eg. Boyd, Mac etc. to say in an interview this week (if asked about the incident), "We at the Bulldogs aren't worried about such things, it is a contact game and we aren't the type of club that runs and whinges everytime someone takes a shot at us. We're tougher than that."

Sedat
26-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Black's act of swinging the fist/arm back was callous and on the same level as hitting with the elbow. I was sitting one row back from the fence and Picken was perhaps 60 yards away. The sound of the smack on his face was clear and sickening.

This is the most outrageous decision made by this committee and we know there have been many that fit into that category.

Four weeks as a minimum.
You forgot to account for the 'good bloke' clause. Also factoring in the 'champion' clause (ie the one that handed Judd a 2nd Brownlow on a platter even though he drew blood from Pavlich) and there's your reprimand right there.

To be fair, it is quite out of character for Black, who is a noted ball player and a champion and a good bloke to boot :D. But when you do the crime you should do the time....the MRP is nothing if not consistently inconsistent.

EasternWest
26-06-2012, 10:37 PM
You forgot to account for the 'good bloke' clause. Also factoring in the 'champion' clause (ie the one that handed Judd a 2nd Brownlow on a platter even though he drew blood from Pavlich) and there's your reprimand right there.

To be fair, it is quite out of character for Black, who is a noted ball player and a champion and a good bloke to boot :D. But when you do the crime you should do the time....the MRP is nothing if not consistently inconsistent.

He's pretty handy with a billiard ball too.