PDA

View Full Version : Clive Palmer a Bulldogs Supporter

bornadog
27-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Just heard him on 774 talking about some political matters and he finshed off by saying his main concern is Footscray/WesternBulldogs winning the premiership? I wonder if we have tried to whoa him for some cash:D

For those who don't know him, his net worth estimated by Forbes is $8 Billion.

Mantis
27-06-2012, 10:31 AM
He did a great job with Gold Coast United... Where do we sign up? :eek:

Grantysghost
27-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Just heard him on 774 talking about some political matters and he finshed off by saying his main concern is Footscray/WesternBulldogs winning the premiership? I wonder if we have tried to whoa him for some cash:D

For those who don't know him, his net worth estimated by Forbes is $8 Billion.

Wasn't having a crack at Julia was he?

LostDoggy
27-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a load of crap.
Queenslander first and foremost. League is his game. Already mentioned his role in the GC united downfall. Doubt he has ever seen one of our games.
Life long right wing conservative national party member coming to the western suburbs of Melbourne?
Taking the piss out of Julia.

Throughandthrough
27-06-2012, 11:31 AM
some people say that allegedly he displays lunatic like tendencies.

bornadog
27-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Wasn't having a crack at Julia was he?

no Abbott

Cyberdoggie
27-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Doesn't surprise me, especially how he boasts how many legal challenges he's fought and won like it's a badge of honour.

whythelongface
27-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Piss off Clive. Though the club will happily take some of your money :)

LostDoggy
27-06-2012, 01:03 PM

Allegedly?

Throughandthrough
27-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Allegedly?

He's a very litigious man. (allegedly)

bornadog
27-06-2012, 01:38 PM
there are plenty of lunatics that follow the dogs:D Some say you have to be one to follow the dogs.:D

Wouldn't mind if he put in some big bucks.

Rocco Jones
27-06-2012, 02:43 PM
He grew up in Williamstown.

BulldogBelle
27-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Next President of the club

;-)

Greystache
27-06-2012, 03:00 PM
He grew up in Williamstown.

Correct, about 1km from the Williamstown football ground.

AndrewP6
27-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Never heard of him. To Google I go!

bornadog
27-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Never heard of him. To Google I go!

Don't you remember he had a bust up with the Soccer Federation over Gold Coast United and they were kicked out of the league.

jeemak
28-06-2012, 01:24 AM
FFS, I am mortified by this development. :D

If he hands over his cash, no questions asked then fine! We need all the help we can get.

Hotdog60
28-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Well he could at least Bull doze the dept for us. It would be a mere pittance for him.

divvydan
28-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I can't really see Clive as being the benefactor type. If he was to hand over money, he'd most likely want control of the club and I don't just mean as President, I mean control of the club.

DragzLS1
28-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Could turn the club into a powerhouse! BUT, do we want to be compared to Essendon and Collingwood when it comes to money. They buy their premierships ect.. We are the lower class, hard working club that teach their own. Lets keep it that way ;)

chef
28-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Could turn the club into a powerhouse! BUT, do we want to be compared to Essendon and Collingwood when it comes to money. They buy their premierships ect.. We are the lower class, hard working club that teach their own. Lets keep it that way ;)

Nah, i want a flag. He can be our Abramovich IMO .

Greystache
28-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Speak for yourself, I don't strive to be average and don't want my football club to do so either.

I don't see the honour in being working class, and if you were capable of more then it's just a weak cop out.

LostDoggy
28-06-2012, 05:40 PM
What a load of crap.

Nah, let's not become a powerhouse. Let's stay broke all our lives.

FFS

Remi Moses
28-06-2012, 06:06 PM

Sick of being submissive to the AFL.
Collingwood have a working class fan base, but are a rich Football club.
Palmer's got no interest in AFL, he's an NRL person.
The Bloke's a crackpot who sues anyone who disagrees with him.
No thanks

anfo27
28-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Being cashed up will only put us on a level playing field so we won't be buying a premiership. Whats wrong with being working class & successful?
Maybe we can do to Clive Palmer what Melbourne did to Joseph Gutnick? get him in for a while, get him to pay all our debts & then piss him off.
I sometimes go to bed dreaming that I'm a billionaire & run the club. Spending all my money to make us the best and winning flags. I always wake up with good nights sleep.

Eastdog
28-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I think every club wants to be a powerhouse in the AFL and too make other clubs fear them and that's ultimately what everyone should aim for. With the nature of the salary cap in the AFL this allows all clubs the opportunity at achieving the ultimate success. Some clubs achieve and win the premiership and some clubs like us and St Kilda push up there but don't get anything and then the cycle starts again. North Melbourne also were successful in 1996 and 1999 and they are a club that today you would not call a powerhouse compared to the likes of Collingwood.

bornadog
28-06-2012, 08:04 PM

I took this with tongue in cheek, tell us your not serious:eek:

w3design
29-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Being cashed up will only put us on a level playing field so we won't be buying a premiership. Whats wrong with being working class & successful?
Maybe we can do to Clive Palmer what Melbourne did to Joseph Gutnick? get him in for a while, get him to pay all our debts & then piss him off.
I sometimes go to bed dreaming that I'm a billionaire & run the club. Spending all my money to make us the best and winning flags. I always wake up with good nights sleep.

I dream the same if i was rich help the dogs win flags makes me feel good that dream.

jeemak
29-06-2012, 08:24 PM

And where did Melbourne end up after Gutnick and his money left them?

anfo27
29-06-2012, 09:13 PM
And where did Melbourne end up after Gutnick and his money left them?

I would of thought how Melbourne was run all those years ago is a hell of a lot different to the way we run things now.

DragzLS1
30-06-2012, 01:45 AM
I took this with tongue in cheek, tell us your not serious:eek:

Sorry it's a bit hard to show sarcasm on a forum :p

I would love to be a powerhouse obviously we have been working class low supporter based club for far too long

One day we will see the dogs reach 45-50,000 members :) one day

Bulldoze the debt Clive! You know you want to ;)

Bulldog4life
30-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Anyone see Peter Gordon presenting Clive Palmer with Bulldog jumper on Channel 7 news last night. I only saw the end of it. Apparently Clive was born in Footscray Hospital and barracked for doggies as a kid. Now for some Moolah Clive.

Doggy
30-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Anyone see Peter Gordon presenting Clive Palmer with Bulldog jumper on Channel 7 news last night. I only saw the end of it. Apparently Clive was born in Footscray Hospital and barracked for doggies as a kid. Now for some Moolah Clive.
I saw him on their election broadcast sing the doggies theme song after some goading from Jeff Kennett.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I saw him on their election broadcast sing the doggies theme song after some goading from Jeff Kennett.

Yes saw him too.

Twodogs
30-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Clive grew up in Williamstown. His dad operated a home cinema there.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2014, 10:27 PM

And he thinks his money is better spent on fake dinosaurs and a replica ship that sunk, than a sponsorship... His cash to do what he likes... Just our luck though, a dog's supporter becomes a billionaire and nada...

josie
01-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Mr Clive may owe some monies to two companies (Korean and Chinese) depending upon outcome of legal action by them - Understand accusation is that $12M was withdrawn from some consortium fund without their approval (or something like that), and further accusation being that the $12M was pumped into PUP election campaign.

If Mr Clive wants to give money to dogs with no strings attached, no power plays and all above board then probably no harm.

Do not want an a-league Gold Coast repeat with our beloved club though. And no controversy please either Mr Clive.

Thought I'd try & weave in a PUP joke (?baby woofer?). Failed miserably.

GO DOGS !!

hujsh
01-12-2014, 01:50 AM
I think some of his mines are struggling too.

jeemak
01-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Mr Clive may owe some monies to two companies (Korean and Chinese) depending upon outcome of legal action by them - Understand accusation is that $12M was withdrawn from some consortium fund without their approval (or something like that), and further accusation being that the $12M was pumped into PUP election campaign.

If Mr Clive wants to give money to dogs with no strings attached, no power plays and all above board then probably no harm.

Do not want an a-league Gold Coast repeat with our beloved club though. And no controversy please either Mr Clive.

Thought I'd try & weave in a PUP joke (?baby woofer?). Failed miserably.

GO DOGS !!

I don't want this Man's money anywhere near our football club.

On the $12m, he claims that he's owed hundreds of millions in royalties by those who are pursuing him and while I don't doubt there's serious vagaries in his claim and those of the claimants against him, it all smells a bit fishy to me.

Joseph Gutnick's influence over the Melbourne Football Club and the subsequent outcomes of his time there serve as a magnificent warning to struggling clubs.

These people don't want to help, rather, they want power and influence.

LostDoggy
01-12-2014, 05:00 AM
"Mmm forbidden dougnut!"

w3design
01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Was that when he needed a cheat sheet with the words of Sons of the west, and then somehow incorporated it into the melody of Hawks club song?

Webby
01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Didn't Clive head up our cheer squad for 25 odd years?!
Here's the categorical proof...:

http://consumer.fairfaxsyndication.com/archive/Footscray-Football-Club-cheer-squad-2F3XC521VH4W.html

bornadog
01-12-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't want this Man's money anywhere near our football club.

On the $12m, he claims that he's owed hundreds of millions in royalties by those who are pursuing him and while I don't doubt there's serious vagaries in his claim and those of the claimants against him, it all smells a bit fishy to me.

Joseph Gutnick's influence over the Melbourne Football Club and the subsequent outcomes of his time there serve as a magnificent warning to struggling clubs.

These people don't want to help, rather, they want power and influence.

I am happy to take his money as long as he doesn't have any say or influence in the clubs affairs.

jeemak
01-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I am happy to take his money as long as he doesn't have any say or influence in the clubs affairs.

So would I, though it's hard to see him handing it over no strings attached!

BulldogBelle
01-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Born in Footscray Hospital. Grew up partially in Williamstown. Grew up a Bulldogs supporter. He sang the Bulldogs theme song on Channel 7 on election night. Wore a Bulldogs jumper given to him by the Club President. Even named his political party the PUPs. The man can do no wrong.

Wow, he gave 55 of his common employees a free Mercedes Benz plus he gave heaps of overseas holidays! He gives heaps to charity and not long ago hosted a buffet lunch for 650 disadvantaged people and their families. He stated that government was deaf to the everyday struggles of all Australians. This would be right because we have been struggling to win a premiership for years, and what have governments done for us, not much.

The PUPs believe in Australia, its people and its future and in the basic freedoms of thought, worship, speech, association
and choice.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge with soccer clubs and the like. That's all gone out to sea now.

Its time for our Bulldog mate to step up with some substantial support!

Twodogs
01-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Didn't Clive head up our cheer squad for 25 odd years?!
Here's the categorical proof...:

http://consumer.fairfaxsyndication.com/archive/Footscray-Football-Club-cheer-squad-2F3XC521VH4W.html

That's big Dave. I don't think he'd be very happy being compared to Clive Palmer. :)