Saturday, June 30
7:40pm
Etihad Stadium

Last time they met

Round 21 2011

Western Bulldogs 15.11 (101) Lost to
Essendon 23.12 (150)

Previous 5 games head to head

Round 1 2011- Essendon 16.17 (113) def Western Bulldogs 8.10 (58)
Round 22 2010- Western Bulldogs 107 def Essendon 78
Round 10 2010- Essendon 99 def Western Bulldogs 90
Round 16 2009- Essendon 70 lost to Western Bulldogs 103
Round 21 2008- Western Bulldogs 151 def Essendon 105
Round 4 2008- Essendon 90 lost to Western Bulldogs 128

Form leading in

Essendon- WWLLW

Western Bulldogs- WLLWL

Essendon

Having made significant progress in 2011 under new coach James Hird, Essendon have continued their upward trend in 2012. Beginning the season with an impressive 9 wins from 10 games, with their only loss coming to Collingwood on ANZAC day by a margin of one point, Essendon looked to be certainties for a top 4 position, and even had some in the media mentioning them as premiership contenders. Their last 3 games however have reduced the excitement around Windy Hill, with an embarrassing loss to lowly Melbourne, and disappointingly close loss to Sydney, before a form reversing win last week against Fremantle at Patterson’s Stadium. Of concern to the Bombers would be that the two consecutive losses were punctuated by poor conversion in front of goal, highlighted by 2-14 in the first 3 quarters against Sydney.

Essendon having focussed strongly on improving their defensive efforts and chronic lack of pace through the midfield last season, have this year made a strong focus to blend this defensive focus with the ability to spread from the contest and produce quality inside 50’s for their forwards. They have a number of good young runners coming through and they are ably supported by experienced midfielders in Watson and Stanton who are both enjoying career best seasons. Consistency across the field has been Essendon’s strength this season, they have carried very few passengers thus far, and if the B&F was to be counted today it would be very even across 15 players. This consistency of output across the entire 22 has made shutting them down a difficult task, and targeting key play makers even harder.

Western Bulldogs

The Bulldogs season has been somewhat inconsistent in 2012, in a year of rebuilding they have shown strong performances against quality sides in WCE, Adelaide, Geelong, and Collingwood, in which they had opportunities to win late into the match with only a lack of experience and composure costing them in the end, only then to have major let downs against less credentialed teams in St Kilda, Sydney, and Brisbane which has left fans wondering where the team is really sitting.

New coach Brendan McCartney has made no secret of his primary goal of winning contested possession and outnumbering the opposition around the contest, and that has been successful as the Dogs rank #1 for contested possession. The difficulty for the Bulldogs has been in converting those contested possessions into uncontested disposals that hurt the opposition. This is one aspect that has been sadly missing from the Dogs arsenal this season. Poor disposal efficiency has led to them being scored against heavily on the rebound, and while the inside 50 count sees the Bulldogs in the top bracket of teams in the AFL, the quality of those entries has seen goals being a rare commodity for the Dogs.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but bulldog fans will desperately hope to see improvement in disposal efficiency in the second half of the season.

Key Matchups

Watson vs Boyd

Jobe Watson has taken his game to another level again this season. He has been the clearance winning machine for the Bombers for the past 3-4 seasons, and that has continued again in 2012, but it is Watson’s ability to hurt the opposition on the outside that has seen his hurt factor really increase. Of noticeable improvement has been his ability to use the ball effectively forward of centre, both in putting the ball to the advantage of his forwards, and also in kicking goals himself. Traditionally tagging Watson has been a pointless exercise as he was a pure in and under midfielder, but that is no longer the case. The Bulldogs best bet in curtailing Watson’s influence will be captain Matthew Boyd. Boyd is a clearance winner in his own right and a head to head battle could result in a stalemate with Watson, and with the Bulldogs greater depth in inside midfielders that would be a win, but it is in being accountable for Watson when the ball in not in dispute that win define how valuable Boyd’s contribution is this week. He simply has to prevent Watson hurting the Dogs on the outside. Watson’s possessions hurt, Boyd’s don’t, it’s that simple for the Bulldog’s captain this week.

Stanton vs Picken/Cross

Brent Stanton is another player whose game has gone to another level this year. Stanton has always been an elite runner with a huge workrate, but his disposal prevented him from being the player opposition teams felt the need to shutdown. This has been the big turnaround for Brent this season. He continues to win big numbers around the ground, but it is his ability to hurt with those disposals that has seen his influence on games increase dramatically. He is an automatic selection to be assigned a shutdown player and the Bulldogs best stopper is Liam Picken. One of the best taggers in the AFL, Picken never gives his opponents a moment’s space, often leading them to lash out as we saw from Brownlow medallist Simon Black last week. This won’t phase Picken one iota however, tough as nails, Picken takes the physicality in his stride. While one of the best endurance runners at the club, Picken may struggle to go with Stanton aerobically, it is for this reason we may see Daniel Cross take the tagging role on Stanton this week.

Crameri vs ???

This is the question the Bulldogs match committee will be asking themselves. Lake on Hurley, and Austin on Ryder/Hille look likely, but it’s the player that takes on the strong bodied but equally mobile medium forward that seems anyone’s guess. Tailor made for Dale Morris, it again shows how much his absence unbalances the Bulldogs defence. Crameri has had an impressive season kicking 25 goals, and only some bouts of inaccuracy that have prevented that number being higher. Crameri is pacey around the ground, has a surprisingly big tank, and for his size is a powerful body player. The only player available to the Dogs that could fit the bill is Easton Wood. Strong, quick, and athletic Wood has the tools to go with Crameri, but Easton has struggled in recent times against a quality forward, this is the week to turn that form line around for Wood.

Bulldog forwards goal kicking vs The 7m opening between the two tall posts

Neutral supporters find a sick fascination in watching the Bulldogs young forwards kicking for goal, Bulldogs supporters just find it straight out sick. Has there ever been a forward line of young key forwards who as a collective were worse set shots at goal? Striking at 45% in a team that desperately struggles to kick goals the bulldogs woes in front of goal have hurt badly at stages this year. Of more concern is that this trend looks unlikely to change in the short term. Coach Brendan McCartney takes the view that if the team does things right up the field the goals will take care of themselves, but seeing as the closer to goal you move the worse the Dogs kicking gets it doesn’t paint a pretty picture for the upcoming match.

Conclusion

A tale of two teams is the story for this week. The Bombers are the king of defensive pressure and spread from the contest, leaving the contested possession to a few, whereas the dogs are all at the coal face of the contest leaving precious few to give the ball out to, and susceptible to opposition spread. If the Bulldogs can prevent Essendon from getting hands on the ball they are in the match, but with their disposal efficiency woes that seems unlikely. A Bomber goal fest looks the order of the day.

Verdict

Essendon by 50+

chef
28-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Nice preview.

This game is going to get ugly and we'll be lucky to get within 10 goals.

Eastdog
28-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Great preview Greystache. Lots of people are saying we will get beaten easily this week but we might come out and really show up this weekend against Essendon and give them a shake but most likely will get done by quite a bit.

Ghost Dog
28-06-2012, 06:39 PM
In terms of write ups on Woof, this is as good as it gets. Outstanding effort. A lot of time went into that.

bornadog
28-06-2012, 08:07 PM
In terms of write ups on Woof, this is as good as it gets. Outstanding effort. A lot of time went into that.

Yes agree, well done Stache, some of you guys should be doing this for a living.

I am expecting a flogging, but praying we are competitive.

Eastdog
28-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes agree, well done Stache, some of you guys should be doing this for a living.

I am expecting a flogging, but praying we are competitive.

You just never known as Essendon lost to Melbourne and no one expected that to happen.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Great preview.

Definitely going to be a tough day at the office. Good test and chance for redemption for a number of blokes though. Hopefully we show some resistance.

azabob
28-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Great work as usual. Now you know both teams ins and outs how do you see our forward line lining up and who from Essendon will go to them. If we get on top in the midfield, could we possibly expose them?

Greystache
28-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Great work as usual. Now you know both teams ins and outs how do you see our forward line lining up and who from Essendon will go to them. If we get on top in the midfield, could we possibly expose them?

Cheers Aza,

It doesn't change things a great deal. I think Markovic will take Hurley, neither are overly quick but both are strong and smart, Marko has done well previously. Lake will take Ryder/Hille, he matches up well there and can provide rebound too. If they push their ruckman forward or Carlisle pushes forward I think Roughead will go into defence which is why I'm not too concerned about us being top heavy in the forward line.

The Pie Man
28-06-2012, 11:26 PM
After paying out on the Hargrave inclusion in the MC thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take Crameri, with Wood a 2nd option.

Austin must really need a rest ....puzzling omission.

bornadog
28-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Austin must really need a rest ....puzzling omission.

I think the coach loves Markovic

DragzLS1
29-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Can't wait!! Marko hopefully has a ripping game back on Hurley and lake continues his form! Shaggy has been missed and can't wait to see Cambell again :) should be a good game and am only expecting bombers by 15 points

G-Mo77
29-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Nice write up mate.

Think it will be pretty similar to last week to be honest. Eseendon will destroy us with their pace, waltzing it out of our slow, lumbering forward line and give our back half zero chance to defend. Your guess of a about a 50 point deficit is pretty much how I see it. Essendon will take the foot off a little and we'll pinch a few goals to get that close. :o

I can't see us winning anywhere on the field at all. I'm trying but can't see a thing that works in our favor.

Going to be a very long night. Fortunately I'm not driving and will be having a few ales which may soften the pain a little.

Remi Moses
29-06-2012, 02:58 AM
These match previews are better than some of the dross served up in the papers.
Previews full of dream team bargains, super coach stuff .

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Great stuff Stache.

This.

I don't see how or why Markovic comes straight back -- absolutely idiotic -- and I'd pick Austin over him fully fit anyway.

westdog54
29-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Yet another brilliant write up. The quality of the previews this year has been outstanding.

I mentioned in the MC thread that if this game really turns to poo I wouldn't mind seeing a ruckman subbed either at half time or early in the 3rd and Murphy moved to CHF. Don't think it will happen though.

I can see another 10 goal loss coming.

The Pie Man
29-06-2012, 04:42 AM

That's ok, just thought for balance they should have both played - I think it serves us better long term if we sacrifice someone like Hargrave for Austin.

Must have really needed the rest...

Bulldog Joe
29-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Great stuff Stache.

This.

I don't see how or why Markovic comes straight back -- absolutely idiotic -- and I'd pick Austin over him fully fit anyway.

Markovic can handle the power players.
Austin has done better than we probably expected, but has been found wanting by the bigger opponents. He struggled to compete against Merrett and was also found wanting against Chris Dawes and Tom Hawkins. In reality is competing more with Hargrave for the third tall spot.

SlimPickens
29-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Good write up Grey.

Going to be a tough night at the office for the lads. Hopefully we can have a really competitive four qtr effort.

Agree with Crameri being a difficult match up. Initially thought Austin would have been the obvious choice.

Mantis
29-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Good work on the preview.

The Stanton match-up is an interesting one. From memory Howard had the role early on last year and got torched. Can only see Picken going with him, Cross hasn't shown the ability to play the role for a while now.

This is the first time since 2000 that I have no interest in going to the match for amongst other reasons having to listen to their awful supporters as we cop a belting... Let's hope we see a similiar result....

A competitive effort would be a welcomed response after terrible efforts in 2 of our last 3 games. Lets hope the coaches (senior & assistant) inside knowldge will help us come up with a game plan that can match Essendon for long parts of the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Markovic can handle the power players.
Austin has done better than we probably expected, but has been found wanting by the bigger opponents. He struggled to compete against Merrett and was also found wanting against Chris Dawes and Tom Hawkins. In reality is competing more with Hargrave for the third tall spot.

In theory, I agree, but Markovic has rarely ever curbed the power forwards either. Especially the ones of quality.

Austin did OK on Dawes, Lake was the one who got belted by Hawkins.

Austin's two ordinary matches came against GWS on Cameron and Brisbane on Merrett. He's really stiff to miss.

LostDoggy
29-06-2012, 02:08 PM
A competitive effort would be a welcomed response after terrible efforts in 2 of our last 3 games. Lets hope the coaches (senior & assistant) inside knowledge will help us come up with a game plan that can match Essendon for long parts of the game.

Is it fair to worry about the coach and his staff if we aren't competitive/structure up badly/have a poor plan against a team Macca and others should know well?

Mantis
29-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Is it fair to worry about the coach and his staff if we aren't competitive/structure up badly/have a poor plan against a team Macca and others should know well?

One would think (hope) that both Brendan & Shannon have a good grip on the way that Essendon like to play and some of the strengths/ weaknesses of their players and game plan.

One would hope we could use this to our advantage and as you suggest put forward a game style which will be pretty competitive.

Ozza
29-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm just hoping like hell we tag Stanton. He usually locks himself in for 35 touches against us. Teams who have beaten Essendon in the last few weeks have all tagged him - I think its probably a no brainer for Picken to go to Stanton (but Cross as a run with is an interesting suggestion as well).

jeemak
29-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Good preview mate.

Agree with your summation of the margin. I feel we're likely to get an absolute pasting.

bulldogsman
29-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the preview.

I'm really worried about Essendons run and defensive pressure. I can't see us getting close unfortunately.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-06-2012, 11:52 PM
I found the preview prediction by Greystache that we would be defeated by 50+ points extremely disappointing and typical of the negativity that currently dominates the thoughts of many Woofers on this site. We forget that Essendon was defeated by lowly Melbourne a couple of weeks ago or the gutsy efforts of our Club's efforts against last year's Grand finalists.
Why would Hurley for example who got Essendon over the line last week with 6 goals do likewise against the best key defender going around in Brian Lake.
Do we really think that Boyd and Griffen are not capable of matching Watson and Stanton in the midfield?
With due respect it doesn't take a genius to predict Essendon to win after our performanc against the Brisbane Lions, but I would prefer to say that the return of Minson, Hargrave, Sherman and Markovic will strengthen the line up and that we are capable of winning.

Ghost Dog
30-06-2012, 01:11 AM
I found the preview prediction by Greystache that we would be defeated by 50+ points extremely disappointing and typical of the negativity that currently dominates the thoughts of many Woofers on this site. We forget that Essendon was defeated by lowly Melbourne a couple of weeks ago or the gutsy efforts of our Club's efforts against last year's Grand finalists.
Why would Hurley for example who got Essendon over the line last week with 6 goals do likewise against the best key defender going around in Brian Lake.
Do we really think that Boyd and Griffen are not capable of matching Watson and Stanton in the midfield?
With due respect it doesn't take a genius to predict Essendon to win after our performanc against the Brisbane Lions, but I would prefer to say that the return of Minson, Hargrave, Sherman and Markovic will strengthen the line up and that we are capable of winning.

Admire this post and thanks for the injection of optimism. Made me reflect on trying to be more balanced in my views.

DragzLS1
30-06-2012, 01:34 AM
I do rate Boyd and Griff against Watson and Stanton. Hurley won't do much and think Essendon will come out expecting to spank us, then we get an early jump on them ( like we did against Collingwood ) but may still loose the game by 3-4 goals late in the last.

Won't be surprised though if we beat them as this round for tipping is fairly obvious, and when it's obvious there is usually an upset. Let's hope that upset is us against Essendon and not Melbourne against Brisbane ;) haha pumped for this game missing my misses brothers bday for it!!!

bornadog
30-06-2012, 01:47 PM

On paper we look pretty good, we have a good midfield, a good backline and the Stats show we are number one in the AFL for CP, Clearances and Disposals, but unfortunately we have only won 5 games and Essendon have only lost 3 and we just can't kick goals.

Greystache
30-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Or you could look at this way- Essendon are a better side than the team that beat us last year by 49 and 55 points respectively, and we are also now without Callan Ward and Barry Hall who was the cornerstone of our forward line. Add in that 2 of our last 3 games have been very poor performances and you could argue that 50+ is a generous prediction.

F'scary
30-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Great preview - really appreciated it - better than the MSM. I've got my fingers crossed that Esserdon run out on the ground with the same mind set they brought to their Melbourne game. And I've got my toes crossed that we play with a bit more pride than last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2012, 03:29 PM
The reality is, the only way we get close is if Essendon are a touch off their game. It's possible given their recent indifferent form and the Perth factor, but a lot would need to go right for us to be competitive. They are strong in all the areas we are weak: speed, run, carry, spread from a contest and disposal.

Ghost Dog
30-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Jetta is a pest and quite dangerous around goal. His speed worries me and I can't see on paper how the coach intends to negate him. Our backline is pretty slow.
Eddie Betts, Jetta ( Sydney or Essendon ) or krakouer - I have these recurring nightmares of being cut apart by indigenous small fowards.

LostDoggy
30-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Jetta is a pest and quite dangerous around goal. His speed worries me and I can't see on paper how the coach intends to negate him. Our backline is pretty slow.
Eddie Betts, Jetta ( Sydney or Essendon ) or krakouer - I have these recurring nightmares of being cut apart by indigenous small fowards.

When has Betts cut us up?
Don't count pre season games as real games

ratsmac
30-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Nice preview, thanks greystache.

Definately agree win the margin and I don't think it's just being negative, it's just fact. The only thing we have going for us is that their form hasn't been great and they're coming back from Perth. On the other hand our form has been woeful hense the 50+ margin.
Essendon's ability to run and spread will be where they kill us tonight. Their pressure they put on the kicker to get the turnover has been a catalyst to their form and our terrible kicking turnovers has been the catalyst to ours.
For the bulldogs to have any chance tonight our disposal must improve a lot and for the Bombers to be caught napping. If we bring the intensity of the Collingwood/Geelong games, we can go very close to a win. No passengers!!

ratsmac
30-06-2012, 04:30 PM
When has Betts cut us up?
Don't count pre season games as real games

True! Only in the NAB cup when Dale Morris was on crutches.

w3design
30-06-2012, 05:52 PM
The reality is, the only way we get close is if Essendon are a touch off their game. It's possible given their recent indifferent form and the Perth factor, but a lot would need to go right for us to be competitive. They are strong in all the areas we are weak: speed, run, carry, spread from a contest and disposal.

We do have a long history of pulling at least one surprise game out of the bag each season. We sometimes win the unexpected, and regularly flop in an unlosable.
I can not see this being a draw, or even close unless it is in our favour. Suspect that if Essendon wins, they will flog us.

I can't see Boyd having 2 poor games in a row, and expect him to come out breathing fire.
As BB says we are weak where their strengths are. But if we can retain possession once we win it inside, who knows. Maybe this could be one of 'those' games for us.
I won't be holding my breath, but will have my fingers crossed.

SonofScray
30-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I can't see us pulling one out of the bag tonight, unfortunately. Which is true of the way this club has been for a few years, where form is against us, or where a team has a clear advantage we just haven't plugged one away against the tide. Have we? We might have and I've missed it?

I'm going hoping for a change in fortunes, a bit more fight in adverse situations and hopefully a win. We have the ability in the squad, I believe that, but it just doesn't look likely.

kruder
30-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Mate,

the Doggies have close to the worst list in AFL, I'm not sure how you sugar coat that fact. I'm praying that this draft is as good as they say because things are going to get even worse in the next two years before they improve. Just keep buying your membership thats all we can do no matter what is said on this site.

Eastdog
30-06-2012, 06:59 PM
We have older players coming close to the end of the careers and youngsters coming up (1st and 2nd years) and thus we are struggling. We need to draft well and more importantly develop these draftees for us to come up the ladder again. We have definitely fallen from the heights of 2008-2010. All we can do is stick with our team no matter what as that is what being a supporter is all about. Also congrats to Higgins in his 100th game tonight.

Scraggers
30-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Let me start by saying, fantastic preview Greystache ...

I love your optimism NBP ... and if this season has taught me anything, its the fact that there are no certainties in AFL this year. I have thought all season that Essendon were the 'Great Pretenders', but they keep winning week-in, week-out. Whilst my heart is saying I hope you are correct, and we do stand a chance tonight, my head is telling me Bombers by 4 goals !! :(

Mate,

the Doggies have close to the worst list in AFL, I'm not sure how you sugar coat that fact. I'm praying that this draft is as good as they say because things are going to get even worse in the next two years before they improve. Just keep buying your membership thats all we can do no matter what is said on this site.

You're kidding aren't you ?? We've got 5 players playing tonight that are All Australian, (another two on the list that aren't playing tonight), another that will go close to winning his first All Australian nomination this year in Griff; A Brownlow Medallist, a current Rising Star nomination (touted as favourite for the medal), two nominations from 2011 ... Close to the worst list ???

kruder
30-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Let me start by saying, fantastic preview Greystache ...

I love your optimism NBP ... and if this season has taught me anything, its the fact that there are no certainties in AFL this year. I have thought all season that Essendon were the 'Great Pretenders', but they keep winning week-in, week-out. Whilst my heart is saying I hope you are correct, and we do stand a chance tonight, my head is telling me Bombers by 4 goals !! :(

You're kidding aren't you ?? We've got 5 players playing tonight that are All Australian, (another two on the list that aren't playing tonight), another that will go close to winning his first All Australian nomination this year in Griff; A Brownlow Medallist, a current Rising Star nomination (touted as favourite for the medal), two nominations from 2011 ... Close to the worst list ???

Scraggers, i'd happy to be wrong make no mistake about it.

But have a look at our so called All Australians and Brownlow Medallist and tell me how many have their best footy in front of them? How many of them are currently playing at their best? Then look at the middle age bracket which has a massive hole in it and you start to get very close.... I think we have some good junior talent coming through but I'm struggling to attach a potential elite tag on any of them.

Desipura
30-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Pathetic effort Lake, you should be leading the way. Goes to ground at a crucial stage.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Pathetic effort Lake, you should be leading the way. Goes to ground at a crucial stage.

Couldn't agree more, from a guy who put a gun to our head and asked for big bucks to stay, and has done nothing since the contract has been signed.

Sorry brian love you as a bulldog but I fall to see how you can continue to keep going down this way..... Even standing on the mark and jumping to make the guys kick over your head would be good when we are looking for some direction out on the park.

I suppose the coaching staff are happy with this or they would have done something about it.