PDA

View Full Version : Coaching/Teaching ideas?

Rance Fan
01-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Got an ideas for the rest of the season?

Jones to play as a key defender - learn how the other do it, and help him learn how to lead to the ball, and not run under it!

Minson/Campbell - swap full forward/ruck rest of season

Murphy - when back from injury, play forward! - need someone with smarts and skill up forward

Dont bring Grant, Morris, Williams back this year... rest recover get bigger and stronger!
Maybe add Cooney to that also if he's going around for another year!

LostDoggy
01-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Jones needs to learn the game isn't there for him, he is there for the game.
Just because you miss a ball it doesn't mean continue on your path and reset for the next time it gets delivered into the forward line.
Stop. Turn. chase / defend / win a loose ball.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Jones needs to learn the game isn't there for him, he is there for the game.
Just because you miss a ball it doesn't mean continue on your path and reset for the next time it gets delivered into the forward line.
Stop. Turn. chase / defend / win a loose ball.

He seems to have gone backwards in this part of his game this year. Perhaps it was having Hall around as the focal point in the past two years that enabled him to concentrate more intently on this aspect of the game.
Lets hope he can learn to handle the many facets required of him as a key forward in time.

AndrewP6
01-07-2012, 01:34 AM
I'll leave it to the MC, headed by the 'developer of people'. :rolleyes:

Good thread, but after another dismal performance, and a long ride home, I'm too p***ed to make much sense.

chef
01-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Don't play 3 ruckman.

Don't play a ruck as a sub.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm happy to take the Bulldogs MC down to the local U/15 and provide a few idea's. These have been around for a while and called the basic's of football.

1. In the back line you must have someone goal side of an opponent.
2. Stand on the mark and make them kick over you.
3. Put your best tagger on the best opposition player each week.
5. Pick players that are fit and want to have a go.
6. In the forward 50 don't play 6 and get them to stand 15m in front of each other, when you lead you pick up another defender and have no space.
7. When you don't have the ball go get on a man.
8. If you are running behind you opponent and going past someone standing still on the mark, do not tell them to pick up your man so you can stand the mark.
9. Play Jones at CHF and only one other tall at FF, Minson and Campbell worked OK last night.
10. The sub needs to have pace and bring him on at 1/2 time. Cant see any benefits of giving them 15 minutes of game time.

Ghost Dog
01-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm happy to take the Bulldogs MC down to the local U/15 and provide a few idea's. These have been around for a while and called the basic's of football.

1. In the back line you must have someone goal side of an opponent.
2. Stand on the mark and make them kick over you.
3. Put your best tagger on the best opposition player each week.
5. Pick players that are fit and want to have a go.
6. In the forward 50 don't play 6 and get them to stand 15m in front of each other, when you lead you pick up another defender and have no space.
7. When you don't have the ball go get on a man.
8. If you are running behind you opponent and going past someone standing still on the mark, do not tell them to pick up your man so you can stand the mark.
9. Play Jones at CHF and only one other tall at FF, Minson and Campbell worked OK last night.
10. The sub needs to have pace and bring him on at 1/2 time. Cant see any benefits of giving them 15 minutes of game time.

Excellent. How about kicking to the top of the square, rather than landing it two meters out where it's so easily rushed over for a behind?

Starting to understand the whole ' cracking in' thing. It's not that it's the most important thing, but it's representative of so many aspects of the game. The desire to 'crack in' is a litmus test for a younger team especially, of the desire to run, lay tackles, determination to follow instructions to the letter and stand up in big games. He is looking for huge desire. McCartney said in an interview in the second half of the season, time to look at what is in a few player's minds and hearts.Expecting a few senior players to be under the pump shortly. Embarrassing when Smith and Dahl, at so young, are our strongest competitors.
Was heartening at least to see him give the players a good spray on field.

anfo27
01-07-2012, 11:49 AM
learn how to tackle

learn to stop your opponent from getting the footy & when your opponent gets it put him under as much pressure as humanly possible

if you can't do that, then theres the door

1eyedog
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Got an ideas for the rest of the season?

Jones to play as a key defender - learn how the other do it, and help him learn how to lead to the ball, and not run under it!

Minson/Campbell - swap full forward/ruck rest of season

Murphy - when back from injury, play forward! - need someone with smarts and skill up forward

Dont bring Grant, Morris, Williams back this year... rest recover get bigger and stronger!
Maybe add Cooney to that also if he's going around for another year!

We'll never get it out of the back line!

LostDoggy
01-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Distribute videos of Dahlhaus, Dickson and Picken to all the players showing what to do when you don't have the ball.

FrediKanoute
02-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Excellent. How about kicking to the top of the square, rather than landing it two meters out where it's so easily rushed over for a behind?

Starting to understand the whole ' cracking in' thing. It's not that it's the most important thing, but it's representative of so many aspects of the game. The desire to 'crack in' is a litmus test for a younger team especially, of the desire to run, lay tackles, determination to follow instructions to the letter and stand up in big games. He is looking for huge desire. McCartney said in an interview in the second half of the season, time to look at what is in a few player's minds and hearts.Expecting a few senior players to be under the pump shortly. Embarrassing when Smith and Dahl, at so young, are our strongest competitors.
Was heartening at least to see him give the players a good spray on field.

This was the most disappointing thing yesterday, the performances which the senior guys and club leaders put in was sub-par.

1. Boyd - ordinary;
2. Lake - disinterested;
3. Griffin - overwhelmed;
4. Higgins - ineffective;

Minson/Picken were probably the only two senioer guys who could hold their heads up.

FrediKanoute
02-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Distribute videos of Dahlhaus, Dickson and Picken to all the players showing what to do when you don't have the ball.

Really? I thought he was anonymous yesterday

LostDoggy
02-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Here's a good coaching idea:

Give the man a *!*!*!*!ing chance.

Rance Fan
02-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Had 8 tackles, equal most with Dahl

anfo27
02-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Here's a good coaching idea:

Give the man a *!*!*!*!ing chance.

I'm hearing ya. He knows what he's doing & he knows more than what posters on here do. I liked the appointment from back then & I still like the appointment now. Its going to take time & people need to be patient.

LostDoggy
02-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Had a quiet day with the ball but the intensity he shows is awesome (hence the "without the ball" comment). I guess what impresses me most about the older rookies is they really appreciate their opportunity. Even when he is "anonymous" he still had 8 tackles, something I believe some of the so called "leadership group" could learn from.

bornadog
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Had a quiet day with the ball but the intensity he shows is awesome (hence the "without the ball" comment). I guess what impresses me most about the older rookies is they really appreciate their opportunity. Even when he is "anonymous" he still had 8 tackles, something I believe some of the so called "leadership group" could learn from.

Some great chasing from Dickson, and he seems to have some speed.