PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 15 vs Fremantle

Greystache
01-07-2012, 12:54 AM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against Fremantle at Pattersons stadium on Sunday? As always a brief explanation for you changes would be good.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Please, please enough with the 3 rucks + Jones.

No need to risk Bob. I'd say rest Coons but would it help? Griff looked sore as well.

Wallis should come back in after his rest. The other ins depend on Willi.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Take your pick.

Jones has been absolutely woeful this year. I don't see how he plays next week on any grounds, unless we decide we want to trial him as a defender. He's been so disappointing this season -- his football smarts (or lack there of) is worrying.

Cooney was again deplorable. Should be dropped.

giaco
01-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Out: Jones, Roughead, Campbell, Murphy, Markovic

In: Cordy, Austin, Wallis, Grant, DJ or Tutt (depending on form and fitness)

Campbell unlucky, but we need more pace at Subi.

bulldogsman
01-07-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm looking at 6 outs this week, but will wait until Willy plays. I definitely won't be picking Howard, Jones or Roughead for next week.

bornadog
01-07-2012, 01:36 AM

No need to risk Bob. I'd say rest Coons but would it help? Griff looked sore as well.

Murphy has a hamstring could be out for two weeks. Griffen copped a kick in the leg and played in pain

bulldogsman
01-07-2012, 01:50 AM
McCartney mentioned in the post match press conferance that Austin, Cordy and Wallis will all come back in after a rest.

Sedat
01-07-2012, 02:09 AM
I definitely won't be picking Howard, Jones or Roughead for next week.Agree with this...all 3 were very disappointing tonight, and Jones has been for weeks now. He needs to go back to VFL level for a month and find some confidence plying his trade at the lower level. It is hard enough playing in our forward line and being on the receiving end of our laborious, haphazard inside 50 delivery, let alone doing so with poor workrate and no confidence.

If Moles is fit and performing well in the VFL, I'd like to bring him in sooner rater than later. I'd like to see him get a 4-6 week sustained run to see if he is worth keeping on the list or not. We certainly need his type in the team right now.

G-Mo77
01-07-2012, 12:17 PM
McCartney mentioned in the post match press conferance that Austin, Cordy and Wallis will all come back in after a rest.

Cordy can stay in the VFL along with Roughie until they push someone out. Minson/Campbell got some scores on the board so I'd happily just take those 2 over to Perth next week.

I've been a big supporter of Jones as well but he needs to go back for a month and really find some form. Maybe he'll get better delivery at Willy. :o

Murphy will miss, I wouldn't take Cooney over either.

Before seeing what happens in the VFL.

I guess Marko would be under some pressure if Austin is coming back in although I didn't think he was too bad last night.

Sedat
01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess Marko would be under some pressure if Austin is coming back in although I didn't think he was too bad last night.
For the life of me, wht wasn't Marko opposed to Hurley last night? He actually smashed Hurley both times we played them last season, and it would have freed up Lake to take the resting ruckman and provide defensive cover and rebound, which is really his go. Crameri would then have been a tricky match-up, but maybe we should have played one less ruckman/tall and selected Austin and Marko instead?

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM

With the prospect of losing both Murphy and Griffen, I think that it isn't unreasonable to make seven changes following the deplorable performance against Essendon.
I agree the 3 rucks+jones doesn't work.
BMcC has apparently stated that Cordy, Austin and Wallis will all return.
In: Cordy Wallis Austin Gilbee Veszpremi Panos Djerrkura
Out: Murphy Griffen Roughead Addison Jones Sherman Howard
B. Gilbee Lake Markovic
HB Wood Austin Veszpremi
C Wallis Boyd Cross
HF Dickson Cordy Dahlhaus
F Campbell Panos Djerrkura
R Minson Cooney Picken
Int Liberatore Smith Hargrave Higgins
I would retain Cooney in short bursts as an onballer and in the centre. Gilbee and Veszpremi would give us players who can dispose of the ball which we sadly lack at the moment. Campbell is preferred instead of Roughead. The factor against a talented line up as the Bombers proved that players like Sherman Jones Howard and Addison struggle against superior opposition. I am not sure that our MC would be ambitious enough to make so many changes although the losses of Murphy and Griffen are compulsory due to injuries. Panos could be the key forward we need as what we have now is clearly not working and hasn't really worked all year.

soupman
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Not going to happen but:

FB: 10. Easton Wood, 36. Brian Lake, 25. Ryan Hargrave
HB: 17. Adam Cooney, 47. Mark Austin, 30. Christian Howard
C: 4. Daniel Cross, 5. Matthew Boyd, 15. Jason Tutt
HF: 7. Shaun Higgins, 12. Tom Williams, 40. Luke Dahlhaus
FF: 48. Matthew Panos, 45. Tom Campbell, 11. Justin Sherman
Ru: 27. Will Minson, 16. Ryan Griffen, 21. Tom Liberatore

Int: 42. Liam Picken, 3. Mitch Wallis, 14. Clay Smith
Sub: 8. Patrick Veszpremi

Em: 37. Lukas Markovic, 22. Dylan Addison, 33. Nathan Djerrkurra

In: Austin, Tutt, Williams, Panos, Wallis, Veszpremi
Out: Murphy (inj), Jones, Addison, Roughead, Dickson, Markovic

(Cordy is interchangeable with either of Williams or Campbell, but I prefer Williams because at least he is mobile and will hopefully give us some acceleration up around the field)

always right
01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
For the life of me, wht wasn't Marko opposed to Hurley last night? He actually smashed Hurley both times we played them last season, and it would have freed up Lake to take the resting ruckman and provide defensive cover and rebound, which is really his go. Crameri would then have been a tricky match-up, but maybe we should have played one less ruckman/tall and selected Austin and Marko instead?

Both Marko and Lake played on Hurley at different stages. Was far too quick for both.

Greystache
01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Having watched Williamstown today.

In- Wallis, Tutt, Panos, Cordy

Out- Murphy, Jones, Howard, Roughead,

Rocco Jones
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Having watched Williamstown today.

In- Wallis, Tutt, Panos, Cordy

Out- Murphy, Jones, Howard, Roughead,

I would like to see us go in with one less ruckman/tall but otherwise I agree.

chef
01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I would like to see us go in with one less ruckman/tall but otherwise I agree.

Same, we can't play 3 rucks on Subi.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Same, we can't play 3 rucks on Subi.

The only footy grounds 3 rucks belong on are local ones.

chef
01-07-2012, 07:15 PM
The only footy grounds 3 rucks belong on are local ones.

Essendon can't fit Hille, Bellchambers and Ryder into their side and they are all decent rucks. Yet we still try it.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Essendon can't fit Hille, Bellchambers and Ryder into their side and they are all decent rucks. Yet we still try it.

Yep. What really hurts us is we also don't have anyone who can offer us short term value as a key-forward and our small forwards are cumbersome anyway. Our bomb it long style 'suits' having tall forwards. I guess the MC are thinking, well if we don't have a KP forward and our forwards are slow, what are we losing by playing the 3rd ruck/forward? It really is a horrible forward line.

Hotdog60
01-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Yep. What really hurts us is we also don't have anyone who can offer us short term value as a key-forward and our small forwards are cumbersome anyway. Our bomb it long style 'suits' having tall forwards. I guess the MC are thinking, well if we don't have a KP forward and our forwards are slow, what are we losing by playing the 3rd ruck/forward? It really is a horrible forward line.

But we had two guys who are forwards in Hill and Panos. Panos has been ok the last few weeks by reports and Hill was ok early. Why don't put a forward at full forward and see how they go.

Cyberdoggie
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm looking at 6 outs this week, but will wait until Willy plays. I definitely won't be picking Howard, Jones or Roughead for next week.

Howard was bloody awful in his defensive efforts.
There was one particular occasion where he let Jetta run around him pick the ball up and bag an easy goal where he had absolutely no right to. All Howard had to do was put his forearm against him and keep himself goal side of Jetta, but instead he watched it all happen.

G-Mo77
02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Howard was awful Saturday but the 2 games before that was really good. I think he should stay in the team personally.

LostDoggy
02-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Would love to see Panos given a run. As people have already stated he can't do any worse than what we have down there at the moment.

I just worry about our inability to deliver the football into forward 50. Won't suit Panos at all just bombing long to the goal square everytime

G-Mo77
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
The bigger ground may suit his style a little more. Doubt he's coming in though as Ayce will be coming straight back according to Macca, unless Jones makes way for him?

Rance Fan
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
In
Cordy Wallis Tutt

Out
Roughead, Murphy, Howard

Cyberdoggie
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I just listened to the post match interview with the coach and he said Wallis, Austin and Cordy will definately come in as they were rested.

Griffen got a kick to the calf so he should come back in as he's pretty resilient.

Murphy looks to have twanged his hammy so will probably miss a couple, the coach mentioned that they will have to find someone to replace him. Not sure how but i'd guess Tutt will definately come in for his run and for the subi ground size.

I'd like to see Panos in but With Cordy and Austin definate in's, i can't see the coach dropping Campbell, Roughead, Jones ahead of him.

Can you drop Roughead after 1 quarter of footy? I think the coach will play Roughead and Cordy definately, and perhaps 1 of Campbell or Jones will come out, most likely Campbell at Subi.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Can you drop Roughead after 1 quarter of footy?

You obviously haven't been paying attention. It's not being dropped, it's being rested!

I too wonder how he will fit in Austin.

Ozza
02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm sure we will again go in too big and slow - but I really hope we actually pick a side suited to playing Subiaco.

Assuming Bob is out -

Out: Murphy; Campbell; Roughead; Howard
In: Wallis; Tutt; Djerkerra; Cordy

LostDoggy
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm sure we will again go in too big and slow - but I really hope we actually pick a side suited to playing Subiaco.

Assuming Bob is out -

Out: Murphy; Campbell; Roughead; Howard
In: Wallis; Tutt; Djerkerra; Cordy

Sounds ok to me.
I'd swap Austin and Markovic. Playing Markovic after injury, 1 vfl game and a break was as silly playing 3 rucks.

Ozza
02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Sounds ok to me.
I'd swap Austin and Markovic. Playing Markovic after injury, 1 vfl game and a break was as silly playing 3 rucks.

Yep - would be happy with Austin for Marko too.

The Pie Man
02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
If all 3 rested last week are automatic inclusions, and Murph is injured...

In: Austin, Wallis, Cordy, Panos, Tutt

Out: Murphy (inj) Jones, Roughead, Campbell, Markovic

Don't see a need for 3 backline talls vs Fremantle - otherwise I'd play both Markovic and Austin.
Howard lucky to survive : out of him and Sherman for the last spot.
I'd play Campbell or Roughead ahead of Cordy, though it seems he's a cert to play, so both my preferences have to go. Cordy has to spend more time in the ruck if he plays, they have to give up the idea he's going to be primarily a KPF - he's just not.
I'd like the MC to try a forward in the forward line for a change (Panos)

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2012, 06:21 PM

This.

westbulldog
02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Given our current modus operandi of not turning up for the first quarter, we will not win this game in any event. I would however at least minimise the damage at Subi by not playing more than 2 talls. Some leg speed is needed. Minson and Campbell would be my choices. Outs would be.....half of last week's team in theory - leave that to the experts.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
No real match ups for Markovic if Austin is playing. Freo don't really have a power forward type and Shaggy can cover resting ruckmen.

IN: Austin, Cordy, Wallis, Tutt, DJ, Panos
OUT: Markovic, Roughy, Jones, Addison, Murphy, Cooney

I'm just guessing with Cooney but not sure how much we have to benefit by flying him ot WA. If he does play, it would be out of Panos or DJ for the last spot.

I just don't see Panos making it to be honest. He reminds me of a mix between Nick Saunter and Jack Anthony. An old school leading forward pocket. Does he really use his height? Is his mobility any better than any of the 3 rucks? That being said, we might as well give him a go and see if he can find himself a 'glitch'.

bornadog
02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Shaggy can cover resting ruckmen. .

Really don't like this. In the past when he has had to punch out of his weight division, it hasn't always worked. Rather he picks up one of their smaller players.

With Murphy and Addsion out, we need another defender so Marko will stay and Austin will come in.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Really don't like this. In the past when he has had to punch out of his weight division, it hasn't always worked. Rather he picks up one of their smaller players.

With Murphy and Addsion out, we need another defender so Marko will stay and Austin will come in.

Which talls forwards do they have?

Pav? Anyone else?

Lake on Pav if he is deep. Austin would be free to play on resting ruck if there are no other talls.

Not a fan of playing a tall defender primarily to play on resting rucks who aren't much chop forward.

BTW Bob will probably be replaced in his role by Higgins, so it will end up being a forward we need to bring in if we want to go like to like (which assumes the 22 was balanced, definitely don't believe that!).

Desipura
03-07-2012, 08:58 AM
In: Wallis, Tutt, Austin & Cordy
Out: Murphy, Addison, Roughead & Markovic

Sedat
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
No real match ups for Markovic if Austin is playing. Freo don't really have a power forward type and Shaggy can cover resting ruckmen.If ever there was a week that Marko and Austin could have played together it was last week against Essendon. Agree that Freo has no match-ups for both Marko and Austin, so it will be interesting to say the least how we will structure up this week on the expanses of Subiaco, especially considering that Cordy will be coming back into the line-up.

The Pie Man
03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
If ever there was a week that Marko and Austin could have played together it was last week against Essendon. Agree that Freo has no match-ups for both Marko and Austin, so it will be interesting to say the least how we will structure up this week on the expanses of Subiaco, especially considering that Cordy will be coming back into the line-up.

Austin must've really needed that rest*

*Sorry for being a broken record on this - it still puzzles me

Cyberdoggie
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Addison and Murphy are definite outs with injuries now, and the coach says Wallis, Cordy and Austin are ins.

Will be watching the team announcement with interest this thursday, and if we see another side that is too top heavy and not ideal for Subi then i will be very dissapointed.

The Pie Man
03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
So with Addison now out as well...

In: Austin, Wallis, Cordy, Panos, Tutt

Out: Murphy (inj) Addison (inj) Jones, Roughead, Campbell

Don't see an obvious matchup for Markovic TBH - but with Addison out he probably survives. Maybe Veszpremi instead?

I'll assume one of Roughead or Campbell will play as well as Minson & Cordy - which will drive me nuts

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't see an obvious matchup for Markovic TBH - but with Addison out he probably survives. Maybe Veszpremi instead?

Someone said today that it might be a good idea to release lake and play him at FF. I'm not a fan of this as stated many times before but if they are looking to take the extra defender in, would this be a left field move?

The big open ground I would much prefer to take pace into this one.

divvydan
03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Some talk around on twitter that Boyd left training early today with a hamstring issue. Anyone heard anything about that?

Ghost Dog
04-07-2012, 12:45 AM
In: Whoever can kick, run, tackle, and knows where to stand.
Out: Stupid footy! eg - banana kicks across the body to the opposition.

DragzLS1
04-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Would only like to see Minson in with either Cambell or Cordy.

Minson, Cambell and Jones the only talls we need and the bigger ground might suit Jones as he leads early and gets shut down on the smaller grounds.

This Thursday will be interesting come team selection..

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Looks like Gilbee is in

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 07:45 PM
In Gilbee Cordy Pearce, Tutt, Djerrkura, Wallis & Austin
Out Murphy, Cooney, Addison & Jones

Bench from Gilbee, Hargrave, Roughead, Tutt, Djerrkura, Liberatore & Pearce

Not that happy with that bench

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Looks like both Austin & Markovic are playing.
Still top heavy even without Roughead playing. Minson, Cordy and Campbell will play.

kruder
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Gilbee? What's the point? Be massively disappointed If he gets a run before Tutt.

chef
05-07-2012, 07:55 PM
The madness continues.

AndrewP6
05-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Someone said today that it might be a good idea to release lake and play him at FF. I'm not a fan of this as stated many times before but if they are looking to take the extra defender in, would this be a left field move?

The big open ground I would much prefer to take pace into this one.

Pace is in short supply at Whitten oval!

The Pie Man
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
What's the bet Roughead plays as well...

*sigh*

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 08:09 PM

*sigh*

Nah only as our sub.

Dancin' Douggy
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Really looking like a flimsy list. Tory Dickson at CHF. Wow.

Remi Moses
05-07-2012, 08:17 PM
We're on a mission to play 18 ruckmen !:eek:
Can't see the point of Gilbee and why not give Panos a shot?
Happy to see Pearce and Tutt in, but we have 3 key backs!
Not sold on Djkuerra just reckon he's an in between VFL AFL type.
Might be time to call it quits at seasons end for Adam Cooney for his own well being

SlimPickens
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Might be time to call it quits at seasons end for Adam Cooney for his own well being

What's the issue with 3 key backs?

Plenty of teams do it with good success.(Scarlett, Lonergan, Taylor for example)

If roughead doesn't play I think the balance is better. Campbell forward/ruck and Cordy at FF all day.

Hotdog60
05-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I would still like us to chance our arm with Panos. If he doesn't get a game this season I'd say his gone.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Really looking like a flimsy list. Tory Dickson at CHF. Wow.

I like him. Has looked good ( North Melb ) and has a good enough boot.
What a funny goal V North when it started from left of point post and swung back in. I was behind it in the crowd and was sure it was a point until the last moment.

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Looking at the ins and outs... I would say we are slower than last week, if that's even possible.

I hope the bench ends up being Libba, Tutt, DJ and Pearce sub.

Dancin' Douggy
05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I like him. Has looked good ( North Melb ) and has a good enough boot.
What a funny goal V North when it started from left of point post and swung back in. I was behind it in the crowd and was sure it was a point until the last moment.

Yeah I like him as well, but you know the cupboard's bare when he's named at CHF!

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Agree Panos should be given a shot.

Surely we play Tutt and Pearce over Gilbee -- I'd be extremely disappointed if we played the former. We should be injecting games into these two kids as quickly as humanly possible.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah I like him as well, but you know the cupboard's bare when he's named at CHF!
Come on Douggy...I'm really trying to see the silver lining...if any!:D
God we are as slow as turtles, which would be fine, if we could pass with any confidence.
At least Crossy gets a gong. The most prolific handballer in AFL history!

Cyberdoggie
05-07-2012, 11:26 PM

*sigh*

If he does i will utterly confused.

Ok Jones is out of the side but Cordy is now in, so in affect that's more of a tall.

4 rucks plus Austin and Markovic who also don't add much other than defensive work, if that is the case then i don't see how we can even be competitive.

Looking at the bench you would think Hargrave and Libba would be certainties unless one of them is injured. Which leaves two in from the others. Tutt should be a definate, Pearce and Gilbee not likely, so that leave Roughead and DJ. Bit harsh on Roughead to be sub one week and dropped the next or sub again.

I'm thinking there will be a late change somewhere.

Eastdog
06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm with some posters who say Panos should get a game. It will be dissapointing if he doesn't debut this season after being elevated. I think it's time to give him a try.

chef
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
What's the issue with 3 key backs?

Plenty of teams do it with good success.(Scarlett, Lonergan, Taylor for example)

If roughead doesn't play I think the balance is better. Campbell forward/ruck and Cordy at FF all day.

We are playing a team with 1 key forward, plus we also will have 3 rucks playing as well.

We need more run, not more talls.

SlimPickens
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
We are playing a team with 1 key forward, plus we also will have 3 rucks playing as well.

Not sure why the defense comes into your argument about the forward line.

Cordy hasn't been playing in the ruck but at full forward.

1eyedog
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Let's put it this way.

Ruck # 1: Minson (Minson is unlikely to be at the club next year but needs to play to protect Campbell and Roughhead from the really big guys. Campbell will need to hold his own next year.

Ruck # 2: Campbell. He will be our number 1 ruckman next year.

Ruck # 3: Roughhead. Not really a ruck but needs to play to develop. I'm not sure anyone knows where he will end up playing but he will be a key forward/back up ruck Kosi type in the years to come.

Ruck # 4: Cordy. Not a ruck at all, a key forward, maybe.

So we are playing four rucks, doesn't look good know but they will all have different trajectories in the very near future.

Don't worry about the runners, big men take longer to develop, how does it go an extra year for every inch over 6'3? Keep developing our big men. Let's not be so concerned about runnners and winning.

SlimPickens
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Misread your post. They have dropped Clarke so I'd expect Bradley to play as well. So Pav, Bradley and Mayne would be the match ups for Marko, Lake and Austin.

LostDoggy
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Let's put it this way.

Ruck # 1: Minson (Minson is unlikely to be at the club next year but needs to play to protect Campbell and Roughhead from the really big guys. Campbell will need to hold his own next year.

Ruck # 2: Campbell. He will be our number 1 ruckman next year.

Ruck # 3: Roughhead. Not really a ruck but needs to play to develop. I'm not sure anyone knows where he will end up playing but he will be a key forward/back up ruck Kosi type in the years to come.

Ruck # 4: Cordy. Not a ruck at all, a key forward, maybe.

So we are playing four rucks, doesn't look good know but they will all have different trajectories in the very near future.

Don't worry about the runners, big men take longer to develop, how does it go an extra year for every inch over 6'3? Keep developing our big men. Let's not be so concerned about runnners and winning.

This.

While it is nice to win games that don't matter, it's nicer to develop a team that can win games that do matter. All of these big blokes can play, but they need time to develop. Will may well be out the door next year, but his leadership and grunt are needed now to help these younger big blokes through. Perhaps it is glass-half-full thinking, but I'm looking forward to seeing more things going right than going wrong, especially with the talls - it's like the contested ball thing, we have to contest in the air so that our smaller blokes get a better chance when it hits the deck. I truly think you have to build your game from the back forward, form the air to the ground, and from the inside out. When you changes things, everything suffers until the changes start to take; I think we're at the worst part of the development J curve right now. It wouldn't surprise me if things start to improve before season's end, and we may just have a role in shaping the eight. In the meantime, we'll keep experimenting and developing, in the games that don't matter, and celebrate the little victories - and they are definitely there if you know where to look. Read this for inspiration and some good reasons to look for and celebrate those little victories.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/moments-to-make-your-heart-sing-are-coming-20120704-21hmb.html

Mantis
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
When did Murf's hamstring strain become a hip injury? (As per the ins and outs in 'the age')

Thinking more about it we have had alot of hip ailments this year... Well at least that's what they are reporting.

bornadog
06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
When did Murf's hamstring strain become a hip injury? (As per the ins and outs in 'the age')

Thinking more about it we have had alot of hip ailments this year... Well at least that's what they are reporting.

Murphy mentioned on AFL 360 that he felt what he thought was twinge in his hamstring at half time. He said it seems to be coming through the hip. Please don't ask me how that occurs.

LostDoggy
06-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Any idea of who did and didn't travel?

SlimPickens
06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Murphy mentioned on AFL 360 that he felt what he thought was twinge in his hamstring at half time. He said it seems to be coming through the hip. Please don't ask me how that occurs.

High hamstring strains can refer to the hip and groin area depending on what muscled he strained. If he strained adductor Magnus for example which has a groin and hamstring portion the pain may feel like its in the the groin or hip region.

LostDoggy
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
This.

While it is nice to win games that don't matter, it's nicer to develop a team that can win games that do matter. All of these big blokes can play, but they need time to develop. Will may well be out the door next year, but his leadership and grunt are needed now to help these younger big blokes through. Perhaps it is glass-half-full thinking, but I'm looking forward to seeing more things going right than going wrong, especially with the talls - it's like the contested ball thing, we have to contest in the air so that our smaller blokes get a better chance when it hits the deck. I truly think you have to build your game from the back forward, form the air to the ground, and from the inside out. When you changes things, everything suffers until the changes start to take; I think we're at the worst part of the development J curve right now. It wouldn't surprise me if things start to improve before season's end, and we may just have a role in shaping the eight. In the meantime, we'll keep experimenting and developing, in the games that don't matter, and celebrate the little victories - and they are definitely there if you know where to look. Read this for inspiration and some good reasons to look for and celebrate those little victories.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/moments-to-make-your-heart-sing-are-coming-20120704-21hmb.html

I dont see us concerning anyone this year. I think our movement up the J curve will slowly start mid next season.

bornadog
06-07-2012, 05:52 PM
High hamstring strains can refer to the hip and groin area depending on what muscled he strained. If he strained adductor Magnus for example which has a groin and hamstring portion the pain may feel like its in the the groin or hip region.

Thanks for explaining this, as I wasn't sure what he meant.

Greystache
06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Final teams

In- Gilbee, Cordy, Tutt, DJ, Wallis, Austin

Out- Addison, Cooney, Hargrave, Murphy, Roughead, Jones

chef
06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Not sure why the defense comes into your argument about the forward line.

Cordy hasn't been playing in the ruck but at full forward.

I know, I see him as the perfect 2nd ruck/forward and it's just overkill playing two other number 1 rucks.

chef
06-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Misread your post. They have dropped Clarke so I'd expect Bradley to play as well. So Pav, Bradley and Mayne would be the match ups for Marko, Lake and Austin.

Still overkill to me. I'd have Lake taking Pav, Austin on Bradley/Griffin whenever they are pushed forward and Wood, Gilbee, Pearce or Hargrave etc to take Mayne who isn't a KPF anyway.

We are going to need run on Subi, not height.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
It's pointless playing Gilbee, particularly at Subiaco, and he certainly offers us nothing in the future. I'd rather blood another game into Pearce. Aside from that the changes look right.

bornadog
06-07-2012, 06:23 PM
It's pointless playing Gilbee, particularly at Subiaco, and he certainly offers us nothing in the future. I'd rather blood another game into Pearce. Aside from that the changes look right.

This ^^^

Greystache
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM

I'm confused too, he didn't even play for Williamstown on the weekend, and prior to that his form was pretty woeful.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2012, 06:29 PM

I'm trying hard to see a positive in this, but I'll try.
Could it be the coach rewarding attitude, as a wake up to others who he is expecting to push for selection but who are not showing the required level of commitment.
Sort of like a 'Look Gilbs may not feature in our medium to long term future, but I am only going to play those guys who are showing a willingness to apply themselves week in week out at training.

I have no idea how Gilbee is training, and I'm really just going out on a limbto try and understand why he has been recalled for this game.

Hotdog60
06-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I like Gilbee and I hope he does well, my only concern will be he hasn't played since last year and may have even more trouble picking up the pace of the game.

I think he may end up the sub.

Remi Moses
06-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Agree, would have Pearce in. I'm worried about Mayne on their forward half, gets of the leash a fair bit.We're probably not going to get the result but a better effort from the rubbish served up recently would be nice.

divvydan
06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
I assume we're going to be flying an emergency or two over this week, does anyone know who has flown over with team out of Peace, Hargrave, Roughead?

Go_Dogs
06-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Don't disagree, but Gilbee has obviously worked hard in his rehabilitation and it was probably felt he deserved an opportunity.

I'm very happy to see Tutt in for a game, just hope he isn't made the sub.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't really get Shaggy missing out. I think he has been OK/good this season and was in my top 5-6 last week.

1eyedog
07-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Don't disagree, but Gilbee has obviously worked hard in his rehabilitation and it was probably felt he deserved an opportunity.

I'm very happy to see Tutt in for a game, just hope he isn't made the sub.

Gilbee deserves a send off, maybe he can find some form, I hope he does he has been a fine servant. Glad Tutt is playing, for mine Tutt and Howard need to play every week.

G-Mo77
07-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Nah good luck to Gilbs. It's his last year at the club and deserves a few games at least. He's obviously done enough to get selected and it's not like we have an abundance of good users by foot in our side.

Doc26
07-07-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm confused too, he didn't even play for Williamstown on the weekend, and prior to that his form was pretty woeful.

The activation of both compensation picks for Ward and Reid was the start to understanding the MCs reasoning.
All we need now is for Hoops to come in and play out the season to provide the clarity we're seeking.
Now lets remember folks things are not always as they seem so we should rest a little in the
Knowledge that our turn will come post season to reset with a number of high end draft picks.
If we look at this season as a development year to learn and build up our core strength, little
Nuances such as going in with a three ruck setup last week against the Bombers and now
Gilbee's inclusion this week may yet help to provide us with a silver lining for the prize we long for.

Hope I've spelt it out clearly enough.

bornadog
07-07-2012, 01:08 AM
The activation of both compensation picks for Ward and Reid was the start to understanding the MCs reasoning.
All we need now is for Hoops to come in and play out the season to provide the clarity we're seeking.
Now lets remember folks things are not always as they seem so we should rest a little in the
Knowledge that our turn will come post season to reset with a number of high end draft picks.
If we look at this season as a development year to learn and build up our core strength, little
Nuances such as going in with a three ruck setup last week against the Bombers and now
Gilbee's inclusion this week may yet help to provide us with a silver lining for the prize we long for.

Hope I've spelt it out clearly enough.

Yep we are tanking

azabob
07-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Yep we are tanking

When was the last team that tanked by playing experienced guys over youth?

G-Mo77
07-07-2012, 01:23 AM

I guess tanking can mean not putting the best team on the park, meaning Gilbee shouldn't be in the team. Hope he proves a few wrong in here. Nothing wrong with the selection at all. Earnt his spot and has been rewarded.

Doc26
07-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Which youth are not getting games that should be outside of weeks given to them to refresh and reload again ?

azabob
07-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Which youth are not getting games that should be outside of weeks given to them to refresh and reload again ?

By you referencing Gilbee in a previous were you not indicating by playing him we were tanking? In answer to your question Pearce could've been selected ahead of Gilbee.

Doc26
07-07-2012, 01:30 AM
By you referencing Gilbee in a previous were you not indicating by playing him we were tanking? In answer to your question Pearce could've been selected ahead of Gilbee.

I knew I should've gone with a different 'G' to spell it out. How about:
Grant being sent off to pasture early to build up

azabob
07-07-2012, 01:34 AM
I knew I should've gone with a different 'G' to spell it out. How about:
Grant being sent off to pasture early to build up

No need to spell it out, your previous posts before did that. To be sure you should've included Mulligan in your original post. ;)

Just on Grant he is actually playing VFL, wonder if he still is on a higher intensity training program?

Doc26
07-07-2012, 01:35 AM
No need to spell it out, your previous posts before did that. To be sure you should've included Mulligan in your original post. ;)

Just on Grant he is actually playing VFL, wonder if he still is on a higher intensity training program?

Not sure how an 'M' fits ? ;)

azabob
07-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Not sure how an 'M' fits ? ;)

Ok, I need those ten mins back, finally have caught on...

Sedat
07-07-2012, 01:51 AM
I don't really get Shaggy missing out. I think he has been OK/good this season and was in my top 5-6 last week.Yep, very strange non-selection, unless he can't travel long distances because of back-related issues. Has had an above-average season.

I was hoping we saved the Gilbee send-off for the Richmond game so he could kick another back of 6 :D. At least with Gilbs in the team, we'll have one less butcher by foot - granted, I know his radar has been a little off the last couple of years but his technique is still textbook.

jeemak
07-07-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm pretty sure we're no longer worrying about results.

While each and every player that takes the field wants to win the game, it's clear to me we're playing a game plan that isn't going to bring results for the short term and we're trying player combinations that might work long term.

It's not tanking, as any educated punter would see this is our main objective, and odds would be set accordingly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you didn't think we were rebuilding rather than refreshing in the first half of the season, I can assure you, we are now.

BulldogBelle
07-07-2012, 08:35 AM

While each and every player that takes the field wants to win the game, it's clear to me we're playing a game plan that isn't going to bring results for the short term and we're trying player combinations that might work long term.

It's not tanking, as any educated punter would see this is our main objective, and odds would be set accordingly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you didn't think we were rebuilding rather than refreshing in the first half of the season, I can assure you, we are now.

At least we won a few early season games, remained competitive in patches, and got our membership close to 30k!

The Pie Man
07-07-2012, 10:43 AM
While we're still at least one big too many, at least we have injected some pace.

Really thought Panos was worth a chance, hoping he puts in again this weekend to keep his name in the mix.

I kind of understand Gilbee in with so much experience lost through injury - don't agree with it, but I get it.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Well who wants to watch a training drill?

azabob
07-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Well who wants to watch a training drill?

The people who go to training, Oh you mean on game day

Mantis
07-07-2012, 02:34 PM

I will only except this to be the case when David Smorgon admits that we are going thru a rebuild.

However this will only happen when hell freezes over so for me it's still a refresh.

GVGjr
07-07-2012, 02:51 PM

I think the intention at the start of the season was to do some minor changes and develop some younger players but to mainly focus on being competitive around the stoppages. Now that the season has already progressed to the point where we aren't making the finals I think McCartney has to look at testing some players before having to make some hard decisions at the seasons end. The questions around are we rebuilding or refreshing the list really doesn't come into it for me now as it's just about really testing the waters with the players we have to see what else they can offer.

I think McCartney would now have a far clearer idea of what he inherited when he took the job on so hopefully he can chart a better course next season.

GVGjr
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I will only except this to be the case when David Smorgon admits that we are going thru a rebuild.

However this will only happen when hell freezes over so for me it's still a refresh.
It was just a bit of word play to give the members a bit more to hope for. I'd prefer the club doesn't make those type of statements but I can't hold it against him.
In the scheme of things there might be a component of both.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I think the intention at the start of the season was to do some minor changes and develop some younger players but to mainly focus on being competitive around the stoppages. Now that the season has already progressed to the point where we aren't making the finals I think McCartney has to look at testing some players before having to make some hard decisions at the seasons end. The questions around are we rebuilding or refreshing the list really doesn't come into it for me now as it's just about really testing the waters with the players we have to see what else they can offer.

I think McCartney would now have a far clearer idea of what he inherited when he took the job on so hopefully he can chart a better course next season.

Right. McCartney will continue to give praise and encourage players, even under-performing ones, but I am certain he is quietly penciling in who he wants to keep for next season and who he doesn't. Waiting to see who's body holds up as well under the new 'stax on' philosophy. Interesting to see the omission of Hargrave this week for Gilbee of all people.An article in the Sydney Morning Herald indicating he wants to play on in 2013.

The Pie Man
08-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Going by the FB pics from the club, Roughead travelled with the group. I'm actually a Jordan fan, but if he's a late inclusion for a mid....

Rocco Jones
08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Going by the FB pics from the club, Roughead travelled with the group. I'm actually a Jordan fan, but if he's a late inclusion for a mid....

You prompted me to have a look at those photos and I noticed Shaggy too.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426966_10151020010987487_362690559_n.jpg

bornadog
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
You prompted me to have a look at those photos and I noticed Shaggy too.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426966_10151020010987487_362690559_n.jpg

Shaggy is hoping to play on next year. He is out of contract at the end of this year and said he will sit down with the club and see what they would like to do. He has been mentoring Howard and enjoying teaching the younger players.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Shaggy is hoping to play on next year. He is out of contract at the end of this year and said he will sit down with the club and see what they would like to do. He has been mentoring Howard and enjoying teaching the younger players.

I've post a few times about how I want to keep Shaggy on.

I believe his versatility in defence can free up younger players like Howard to play more suitable roles which will hopefully aide their development. As you have stated he also seems to be enjoying B-Mac's strategy of having experienced players mentor the younger ones. Not to the mention that he is also producing above average results onfield as well IMO.

mjp
08-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Just about to leave for the game.

It feels like I am off to the dentist.

bornadog
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Just about to leave for the game.

It feels like I am off to the dentist.

Be interesting your assessment on some of the players with less than 50 games under their belt.

Less than 20

Campbell
Cordy
Dickson
DJ
Wallis
Smith
Tutt
Howard
Markovic

Less than 30
Austin
Libba
Dahlhaus

Less than 40
Wood

A very young side.

bornadog
08-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Tutt is the sub. No late changes

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Tutt is the sub. No late changes

Disappointing, unless he doesn't have the required fitness yet. Still, I'd rather him be subbed rather than start as it.

mjp
08-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Be interesting your assessment on some of the players with less than 50 games under their belt.

A very young side.

I'm home and grouchy so I'll bite:

Less than 20

Campbell - Tried hard but completed toweled up by Griffen. Not sure why another ruckman of his ilk is needed in the side?
Cordy - Team-mates clearly have no faith in him...they basically see him in a one-on-one and pull up. 2nd efforts poor today.
Dickson - Would be a reasonable forward in a good side. Presents up well. Not sure how he and Gia are supposed to play in the same team together though.
DJ - Tries hard. No class.
Wallis - Tries hard. No tricks.
Smith - Runs to some funny spots - looks more like a half-back to me than a mid. Certainly cracks in...doesn't trust himself to hit a target even 20m away.
Tutt - Was the sub. Didn't notice him.
Howard - Won a bit of footy as an outlet player. Still waiting for the legendary kicking skills to reveal themselves...it is as if he is determined to never kick more than 30m.
Markovic - I remain unclear on why Markovic played on Pavlich who was always going to be too strong and clever with the ball in the air. His performance today gave me a negative impression of the coaches, not the player.

Less than 30
Austin - Seemed pretty one dimensional...does try hard though.
Libba - Tries hard, runs hard.
Dahlhaus - Runs hard. Very clever...only dangerous player we had (and he didn't have a great day).

Less than 40
Wood - Hasn't changed in three years. Athletic player who never gets the ball and doesn't really look to get the ball.

Apart from Hawthorn vs St Kilda at the MCG back in 2007, today's game was the worst I have ever watched in person. Neither side looked to take the game on...and for us - with no dominant forward, we need to maximise the times the ball gets inside 50m with numbers either even or in our favour. Kicking the ball slowly down the ground does not help with this...

I am sure it is all part of the master plan - but it mind be a little while revealing itself.

bornadog
09-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the assessment, always good to read from a different perspective than an ordinary supporter. Alot of posters gave Dahl, best on ground for us, but I thought he hardly touched it in the second half.