PDA

View Full Version : Richmond stars Daniel Connors and Dustin Martin Face Sanctions

Sedat
04-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Mark Robinson
Herald Sun
July 04, 2012 9:38AM

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-stars-daniel-connors-and-dustin-martin-face-sanctions/story-e6frexwr-1226416444400

Very interesting story. Connors has priors and will surely be shown the door but what to do with Martin? He is the poster boy for the new era, and the footy world will be watching closely how Richmond sanction one of their sacred cows.

FWIW - I'd have a look at Connors at the end of the season. He's cleary a douche when he has a skinful but I'm not sure there's too much more sinister to his priors. That's bad enough by the way, but last chance saloon for his career might be the tonic for a real change. He certainly has the attributes that are in short supply on our list ATM.

azabob
04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Can play, no doubt. But he will only continue to get into trouble. Last season he was suspended for 12 weeks and he didn't learn from that, I dare say he never will.

Can play though, major talent...

divvydan
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I would expect a multiple week suspension for Martin. Something ranging from 4weeks to end of season.

Edit: This assumes the penalty is for more than just missing training.

anfo27
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
i remember hearing macca say that they won't be drafting any idiots, so that would mean connors is no chance to end up with us. has a good left peg on him though.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2012, 11:54 AM
We have been like the state school that takes in the kids that other schools reject. Doubt BMac would let him on the oval in the tri colors. Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Sedat
04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
i remember hearing macca say that they won't be drafting any idiots, so that would mean connors is no chance to end up with us. has a good left peg on him though.That thought occurred to me as well, but I'd like to think Macca would back in his noted teaching capabilities if such a player was considered to add value to the playing list. We're not talking Cousins/Angwin levels of lunacy (at least I think not), so it's worth at least looking at come the end of the season.

bornadog
04-07-2012, 12:06 PM
We have been like the state school that takes in the kids that other schools reject. Doubt BMac would let him on the oval in the tri colors. Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Really?

azabob
04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
That thought occurred to me as well, but I'd like to think Macca would back in his noted teaching capabilities if such a player was considered to add value to the playing list. We're not talking Cousins/Angwin levels of lunacy (at least I think not), so it's worth at least looking at come the end of the season.

Are you sure? Didn't Cousins belt Connors in a Sydney hotel as Connors was running amuck and wouldn't settle down.

To me if Cousins was the moral compass that night what does it say about Connors?

Ghost Dog
04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
So they can just cancel his contract like that?
Fair enough though. Quite damaging for a club. Maybe he has some other issue bubbling away.

G-Mo77
04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Connors will probably be sacked. Martin on the other hand is a real concern for them. They have got to get the right people around him or he'll piss his career away.

I actually played footy with Dusty's old man and my brother knows Dustin really well. (Heard about this yesterday) I really hope he can steer in the right direction.

Sedat
04-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Are you sure? Didn't Cousins belt Connors in a Sydney hotel as Connors was running amuck and wouldn't settle down.That is correct, and it was because he'd had a skinful. Booze, and a complete inability to handle it, is clearly the key issue with this bloke (probably the only issue with him). He may well not be worth the trouble but I'd still be making some enquiries to at least do the due diligence on him. Would he be worth Mulligan's or Hooper's spot on the list? Because that is all he would cost.

Throughandthrough
04-07-2012, 02:21 PM
So they can just cancel his contract like that?

Yep. Would be (standard) performance clauses written into his contract.

Sedat
04-07-2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/140386/default.aspx

Hmmmm, sounds like a cover-up. Unless of course it is true, then Richmond have come down very hard on both players (relative to their respective prior histories). Missing a training session in isolation doesn't correlate with the penalties handed. They've certainly acted swiftly have the Tigers, so credit to them for that.

Axe Man
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I highly doubt that it's a coincidence that Martin copped 2 weeks (games v Melbourne and Gold Coast), but is conveniently back for an important match against North. Wonder if it would have just been the 1 game if it wasn't Gold Coast next week?

AndrewP6
04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Surely theres more to it. Even with his prior issues, sacked for missing training?

Eastdog
04-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I just don't think we should take players on who have had problems. Even though they can play they need to sort there issues out first. If you take a player with issues on board it is a risk.

Remi Moses
04-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I'd hazard to guess there's more than this than meets the eye.
A few Richmond fans are saying young Dustin is easily lead.
Hopefully a tiger fan Age Journo hits this issue as hard as she does other teams.

Scraggers
04-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Surely theres more to it. Even with his prior issues, sacked for missing training?

I reckon Aker will have something to say about this :rolleyes:

Greystache
04-07-2012, 03:48 PM
It's been mentioned that Connors and Martin are best mates. Martin is anything but bright, and having a bad influence like Connors at the club may be contributing to Martin stagnating as a player. Perhaps Richmond are removing the cancer before it can inflict too much damage.

Axe Man
04-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I just don't think we should take players on who have had problems. Even though they can play they need to sort there issues out first. If you take a player with issues on board it is a risk.

You can't just make a sweeping statement like that, it has to be on a case by case basis. Do you think we shouldn't have taken Barry Hall?

G-Mo77
04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
It's been mentioned that Connors and Martin are best mates. Martin is anything but bright, and having a bad influence like Connors at the club may be contributing to Martin stagnating as a player. Perhaps Richmond are removing the cancer before it can inflict too much damage.

I think that is what is happening here. As I said Martin needs people around him who can steer him in the right direction, Connors is very good mates with Dustin and could have possibly dragged him down with him. IN the end who hurts your club more by departing Connors or Martin?

Good move by the Tigers.

Ozza
05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Hypothetically, if you could get Connors to tick absolutely every box during a pre-season, if his attitude was spot on - and being sacked from Richmond was the kick in the pants he needed to turn himself around....its food for thought. he can definitely play - and would be able to be picked up for next to nothing.

There a heaps of huge 'if's and buts'....but its an interesting one.

There's been players who have gotten themselves in as much or more trouble than Connors who have gone on to be premiership players.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
One man's trash is another's treasure ( Hall ) Or displeasure, (Jason Akermanis. )

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 03:31 PM
So strong alcohol and sleeping tablets are a cheap way of getting high?

Mantis
05-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Maybe more importantly, it's legal.

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Is there a rec drug issue at Richmond?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Is Connors even any good?

Decent left foot, but not sure he has much else to his game. At least Cousins, Hall, Akermanis etc. were genuinely good players.

anfo27
05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
did hear today that connors had 8 warnings during ploughs time as coach. not sure this kid will ever snap out of it so i'd hope we would stay well away.

Sedat
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM
did hear today that connors had 8 warnings during ploughs time as coach.Actually from what I've heard, the rotten apple in the Martin/Connors relationship is Dusty. Of course he'll be given far more rope being one of their sacred cows.

Connors is no world beater but he would be a safer bet than just about every 18yo draft selection in the up-coming ND, and he has skills that are in desperate supply at our club. I'd be far more comfortable with a reformed piss-head (which is essentially what Connors is) than with someone who partakes in the harder stuff.

comrade
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Actually from what I've heard, the rotten apple in the Martin/Connors relationship is Dusty. Of course he'll be given far more rope being one of their sacred cows.

Does anyone actually believe the Richmond spin that this is Martin's first offense?

Mantis
05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Connors is no world beater but he would be a safer bet than just about every 18yo draft selection in the up-coming ND, and he has skills that are in desperate supply at our club. I'd be far more comfortable with a reformed piss-head (which is essentially what Connors is) than with someone who partakes in the harder stuff.

Are you sure?

Sedat
05-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Are you sure?My mail isn't close enough but I haven't heard of anything other than alcohol-fuelled incidents in the Connors CV. Dusty on the other hand...

Mantis
05-07-2012, 10:47 PM
My mail isn't close enough but I haven't heard of anything other than alcohol-fuelled incidents in the Connors CV. Dusty on the other hand...

I'm hearing other things about Connors... I guess we wait to see what comes out.

jeemak
06-07-2012, 02:05 AM

Maybe more importantly, it's legal.

Is there a rec drug issue at Richmond?

Fair chance it's all of the above, and it's probably not only Richmond that is dealing with the issue.

I think the football public needs to be accepting of the potential that both prescription and illicit drug use amongst AFL players is an ongoing concern, irrespective of the fairly comprehensive testing that's been put in place by the AFL.

They're easy to get, and easy to afford without much damage to your ongoing finances if you have a reasonably significant disposable income, and a vice beyond them to keep you busy such as AFL football.

Remi Moses
06-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Richmond have handled this in a similar vain to The Madjak Daw case.
They've tip toed around the truth and left enough questions for the media to explore.
They've dumped Connors because not only does he over indulge he's bringing young Martin down with him.

Sedat
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
They've dumped Connors because not only does he over indulge he's bringing young Martin down with him.What if it is Martin dragging Connors down with him and not the other way around? There's only 2 years' age diference - Connors is essentially a kid as well, and one more prone to bouts of stupidity in his youth than most. Clearly the Ben Cousins legacy has been longer lasting that Richmond envisaged - I hope they enjoyed that spike in memberships.

The Pie Man
06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Just read on the tweet that Connors & Hardwick nearly came to blows when Connors was told he was sacked. Juicy

G-Mo77
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
What if it is Martin dragging Connors down with him and not the other way around? There's only 2 years' age diference - Connors is essentially a kid as well, and one more prone to bouts of stupidity in his youth than most. Clearly the Ben Cousins legacy has been longer lasting that Richmond envisaged - I hope they enjoyed that spike in memberships.

Maybe so, maybe they're a bad influence on each other and one is less expendable.

Mantis
06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
What if it is Martin dragging Connors down with him and not the other way around? There's only 2 years' age diference - Connors is essentially a kid as well, and one more prone to bouts of stupidity in his youth than most. Clearly the Ben Cousins legacy has been longer lasting that Richmond envisaged - I hope they enjoyed that spike in memberships.

Didn't Cousins belt Connors because he was acting like a tool in a Sydney hotel room?

Sedat
06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Maybe so, maybe they're a bad influence on each other and one is less expendable.Pretty fair assessment. And maybe they both had a great tutor ;)

azabob
06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Didn't Cousins belt Connors because he was acting like a tool in a Sydney hotel room?

Yes he did, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. Connors has had problems for a long time, highly unlikely he will change.

Remi Moses
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Maybe so, maybe they're a bad influence on each other and one is less expendable.

That's about right.