PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview - Round 15 Fremantle v Western Bulldogs

Scraggers
05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
When and Where
Sunday 8 July, 2.40pm (WST),
Patersons Stadium (formally Subiaco Oval)

Odds
Fremantle $1.16
Western Bulldogs $5.25

Last time they met
(Etihad) Round 24, 3 Sept 2011 WBFC 15.17 (107) def. FFC 8.13 (61)
Boyd 35 disposals, Hall 5 goals
(send-off game for Barry Hall, Mitch Hahn, & The People’s Beard)

Previous 5 games head to head
(Pattersons) Round 5, 25 April 2011 FFC 12.13 (85) def. WBFC 11.12 (78)
Boyd 45 disposals, Sherman 4 goals … Bradley 4 goals

(Etihad) Round 17, 25 July 2010 WBFC 24.14 (158) def. FFC 12.4 (76)
Cooney 36 disposals, Hall 4 goals … Pavlich 4 goals

(Etihad) Round 18, 1 Aug 2009 WBFC 17.9 (111) def. FFC 11.14 (80)
Cross 35 disposals, Akermanis 5 goals

(Subiaco) Round 1, 29 Mar 2009 FFC 13.16 (94) def. by WBFC 25.7 (157)
Boyd & Gilbee 33 disposals, Hahn 5 goals

(Subiaco) Round 8, 18 May 2008 FFC 17.9 (111) def. by WBFC 17.12 (114)
Johnson 5 goals … Bell 34 disposals, Pavlich 4 goals

Form leading in
Bulldogs (14th) L L W L L
Fremantle (13th) L L W L L

Fremantle
Fremantle were comprehensively beaten last week by Collingwood (although the scoreboard was a lot kinder). They have been hit by injury again this year, Nat Fyfe and Aaron Sandilands their biggest exclusions, but are set to get a few names back this week. They have had a tough six weeks of footy; their last win against Richmond at the MCG, but Ross Lyon says the best football is just around the corner. Lyon predicts their next two months of football will be their best for the year (considering their next four games are against us, Melbourne, GWS and Port Adelaide, he may be right).

Western Bulldogs
Having lost 3 out of last four matches by an average of 13 goals, McCartney says he is “filthy” about the way we are playing … and “disappointed” by what we are dishing up. This game gives the players a chance to actually stand up and show us what ‘intestinal fortitude’ they have.
I hope he is right, but I’m not so sure … I think we will be competitive for a while, falling away in the last (PLEASE prove me wrong !!)

Selection Table
Fremantle :- Zac Dawson, Stephen Hill, and Anthony Morabito are all possible inclusions with likely outs Lachie Neale (ankle), Hayden Crozier (glandular fever), and Alex Silvani (not up to AFL level).
(just as an aside, if Morabito doesn’t come in, look out for Cam Sutcliffe … he’s been racking up the numbers in the WAFL for East Fremantle … Go Sharks …, last week getting 34 disposals, 8 marks, and two goals.)

Western Bulldogs :- Mitch Wallis, Ayce Cordy, Mark Austin definitely coming in (according to McCartney) with likely outs Bob Murphy (hamstring), Dylan Addison (broken jaw), and a tall (please don’t play 3 rucks)

Key Matchups

Boyd V Crowley
Regardless of our results over the last five weeks, Matthew has been getting a lot of the ball. Crowley will go to him. Crowley has been playing the tagger role (very well) all year to the detriment of his own game. He will be given the job on Boyd … If Boyd uses the ball well, this will be a big win for us.

Lake V Pavlich
Pavlich has found form over the last four weeks, kicking 17 goals, and unfortunately he always seems to lift his performance against us. Even though I think Lake will get him to start with, I don’t think Brian has the wheels to go with Pavlich all day; I wouldn’t be surprised if Austin goes to him at some stage … either way Pavlich will need to be quelled if we are to stand any chance.

Griffen V Hill
Griffen copped a knock on the calf last week, but McCartney said he’ll be right to go this week. I think Stephen Hill will go to him to try and subdue his influence … This match up (if Hill plays) will have all supporters licking their lips. The two players have fantastic speed and superior ball use. Although I think this will be a win for us, I think Griffen will have his influence restricted (by both Hill and calf).

Minson V Clarke / Griffin
Minson has shown us all what he is capable of. In a poor season, he has been one of the shining lights. Given the fact that Sandilands is out injured, you would think this would be an easy win for Minson. But both Clarke and Griffin have stepped up over the last three weeks. Wil will have his hands full with these two, but should come out on top.

Lower V Picken
Lower who is an in-and-under type player, has had a purple patch (if you’ll pardon the pun) for Freo. We will need to stop his influence early as he is a ‘confidence’ player (a lot like Clay Smith) who improves throughout the game with more and more ball use. I think Picken will go to him and try to muscle him early … it might cost a a few free kicks early, but playing him rough might be the way to go.

Conclusion
In recent visits the Western Bulldogs have proved that Patterson Stadium is no hoodoo ground; but we will have to have all of the planets align to get over the Dockers this Sunday. The likely inclusions of Hill and Morabito is no coincidence; the pace they bring to the team will (I feel) prove the difference in the end.

Verdict

I think we will be competitive for three quarters and be run over in the last … my predictions (unfortunately) Freo by 26 points

Axe Man
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Interesting matchups. Personally I think Crowley would be more likely to go to Griffen (usually the first player the opposition tags) and Picken to Hill if he plays (Picken is usually more effective on outside players).

PS: It looks like the end of the Minson V Clarke / Griffin section is missing?

Eastdog
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Great preview Scraggers. Its going to be another difficult match for us against Frematle especially in Perth. If it was at Etihad we would be a chance but in Perth definitely gives Freo the advantage. They are not doing that much better than us so that's a positive for us. Good ins with Wallis, Cordy and Austin. Murph is a big loss.

Scraggers
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
PS: It looks like the end of the Minson V Clarke / Griffin section is missing?

editted ... thanks :o

bornadog
05-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Well done Scraggers, you have nailed the matchups. This is a chance for you to see the boys in the flesh so hope you have a fun day out.

I am afraid I will have to agree with your predictions after watching our boys in the flesh over the past two weeks.

SlimPickens
05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Good read Scraggers thank you.

Also think Crowley will go straight to Griffen, teams wont bother tagging Boyd.

Haven't seen a lot of Freo, so interested in your opinion on Lower.

Does Picken go to Ballantyne at all?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
A really top job on the review scraggers, especially like the work on the match-ups.

I am not finding too much to be optimistic about at the moment, and just can't see how we're going to cause an upset.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Cheers for the write up Mr Scragger

Look, if we can just control a few of their outside players by going man on man right from the word go.
Last week, not getting our hands on the ball killed our confidence. Dockers are not looking as flash as they did V Geelong in Round one.
They have a few big outs in Sandilands and Fyfe.
This is one game where Dickson or Cooney may actually be effective in the forward line. Fletcher can eat up both of them without any trouble, but the Dockers have Zac Dawson. Hardly a top shelf defender.

Win or lose I'll be looking for footy 101 this week. Want to see plenty of attempted smothers, blocks, man on man stuff, accurate low passes or high ball to the top of the square, not down its throat. No mention of Mayne? Can be damaging.

Picken V Ballantyne please! Will be like two Jack russells disagreeing over a bone.

LostDoggy
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Picken on Hill for me.
Need to find a lock down defender for small forwards rather than move midfield ones back

Go_Dogs
05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice work on the preview Scraggers. Another tough game this week, but hope to see a much better performance than last week.

Desipura
05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Nice work on the preview Scraggers. Another tough game this week, but hope to see a much better performance than last week.

Are they not all tough the way we are playing?

Go_Dogs
05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Are they not all tough the way we are playing?

They are, but I'd be more confident playing GWS at home than Freo in WA.

jeemak
05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Good write up Scraggers.

I expect Lyon to lock down on our limited ball users heavily this week, just like everyone else has over the last few weeks and await the turnover across our half forward line. If anyone is smart enough to know how to do that, it's him.

With Subi being such a long ground, whilst quite narrow it's going to take a lot of common sense and daring from our half backs and midfielders not to fall into Fremantles trap when moving the ball forwards. We need to run and carry, and be prepared to chip short through the middle (along the square line) as there's not a lot of space wide. From there we need to make every effort to get the ball 30m out from goal, rather than 45-65m out. If we don't do that, we'll get comprehensively burnt.

Agree with some others in that I think a Griffen that is potentially struggling for fitness is the likely player to shut down first up. If he's kept quiet for an extended period they might move on the the next option.

Mantis
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
With Subi being such a long ground, whilst quite narrow it's going to take a lot of common sense and daring from our half backs and midfielders not to fall into Fremantles trap when moving the ball forwards. We need to run and carry, and be prepared to chip short through the middle (along the square line) as there's not a lot of space wide. From there we need to make every effort to get the ball 30m out from goal, rather than 45-65m out. If we don't do that, we'll get comprehensively burnt.

Who provides this run from behind the ball, especially with Murf out injured?

Hargrave - not really a ball carrier, long bombs is his forte.
Howard - pace issues
Wood - against Coll = yes, over the course of the year = no.

Perhaps Higgins might go back as per selected team?

Agree with some others in that I think a Griffen that is potentially struggling for fitness is the likely player to shut down first up. If he's kept quiet for an extended period they might move on the the next option.

Which is? Only one I can think of is Dahlahus as he can provide the burst.

Boyd racked it up against them last year so he might be the other one, but his hurt factor hasn't been high this year.

Greystache
06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Good work Scraggers.

We really need some of the other midfielders to work for Griffen. Crowley is a pure shutdown player coached by a bloke who's whole game plan is based on shut down, so without some help he's going to be in for a tough day. It would be nice for a couple of our experienced and bigger bodied mids to sit Croweley on his arse a few time, but I don't see that happening.

Greystache
06-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Howard - pace issues

Boyd racked it up against them last year so he might be the other one, but his hurt factor hasn't been high this year.

Higgins played back against Essendon in the first half last week so I'd say it's a certainty to happen again. Unfortunately last week his disposal was as bad as anyone's so he needs a big lift in that area. Perhaps we'll consider playing Tutt across half back and try to direct the ball through him to utilise his pace and kicking. Of course he needs to get a game first!!

jeemak
06-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Howard - pace issues

These are all very good questions!

Crap week for Murphy to be missing, isn't it. I think Higgins will see a lot of the ball, and we'll have to rely on Wood, Tutt and Howard to provide the actual run, as unpalatable as that might sound. But it can't just be left to our defenders. The very important run and carry will come when our midfielders and half fowards take posession half way up the ground. All need to play their part in this, and a kick in hope from there will find us in trouble.

I think Wallis and Liberatore might come in for some attention if Griffen has an off day. You're probably right about Dahlhaus.

Mantis
06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Higgins played back against Essendon in the first half last week so I'd say it's a certainty to happen again. Unfortunately last week his disposal was as bad as anyone's so he needs a big lift in that area. Perhaps we'll consider playing Tutt across half back and try to direct the ball through him to utilise his pace and kicking. Of course he needs to get a game first!!

That's all good & well, but he needs to be able to defend which I have doubts on... I guess we don't have many options so it's worth a try.

Greystache
06-07-2012, 02:59 PM
That's all good & well, but he needs to be able to defend which I have doubts on... I guess we don't have many options so it's worth a try.

I'd want him to be the +1 ideally, but either way he's probably no poorer a one on one defender than Higgins or Howard anyway.

Eastdog
06-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Ross Lyon is going to play that defensive press style which bogs teams down.