PDA

View Full Version : Handy record

bornadog
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/140477/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/crossb.jpg

DANIEL Cross averages more handballs per game than any other player in the history of the AFL/VFL.

The revelation that Cross is an AFL record-breaker will surprise many, given the veteran Western Bulldogs midfielder is such a selfless, unassuming player. But then again, he has set a benchmark in the very statistical category that most highlights his unselfishness.

When considering the game's greatest handballers, legends like Graham 'Polly' Farmer and Greg 'Diesel' Williams immediately come to mind. This visionary duo used their hands far more - and to far greater effect - than any of their contemporaries and helped change the game.

Cross mightn't be revolutionary, but he stands head and shoulders above the giants when it comes to sheer weight of numbers.

Cross's career statsteam was considered excessive. Indeed, handball figures have since exploded, particularly in the past decade, so it's safe to regard the current list as virtual all-time standings.

The only pre-1974 player who could conceivably have challenged Cross's standing was Farmer, who was credited with 11 of Geelong's 44 handballs in the 1963 Grand Final and 14 of 55 in the 1967 playoff.

Against lesser opponents in the minor rounds, the big Cat would logically have won more of the ball.

In any case, Cross's 29-year-old hands are showing no signs of slowing down, averaging 14.92 handballs in his 13 games this season. (After six games he was averaging 19.3.)

In total handballs, Cross ranks sixth in a category led by his former teammate and mentor Scott West. At his current career average, the apprentice will need to play another 76 games to catch the master.

When it comes to the most handballs in a season, Cross again features prominently with three of the top-five tallies, and five of the top 20.

His best in a game is 30 (against Port Adelaide in round 12, 2009) - equal second behind Ablett's 33 against Adelaide just eight weeks earlier.

It's interesting to note that after 193 games - Cross's current tally - Williams averaged a superior 15.37 handballs.

Williams admitted that being shaded by Cross, and now Priddis, had dented his pride somewhat.

"Yeah, I suppose it does," he told AFL.com.au with a laugh. "But with possession numbers going through the roof, it was probably always going to happen."

Williams explained that back in his day, teams averaged about 280 possessions a game, whereas now that figure had ballooned by about 100.

"I averaged around 10 per cent of the team's possessions, so if I was playing today I'd be going all right," he said. "But that's not taking anything away from Cross - he a really good player, very good at stoppages and a fantastic handballer."

West wasn't surprised by Cross's statistical achievement.

"It doesn’t surprise me at all, knowing his workrate and how meticulous he is in his preparation," he said. "People wonder why 'Crossy' handballs so much but it's because he gets to so many contests."

Cross had been unaware of his place in handball history until informed by AFL.com.au.

"It's quite humbling," he said "I suppose it means you're doing something right and you've had longevity. As a young player, it was a huge thing for me just to get one handball. So it's a nice feeling."

Cross's explanation of his almost 1:2 kick-to-handball ratio is multi-faceted: he wins a lot of contested ball at stoppages, he's not blessed with great pace and he loves being a team player.

"I suppose I play a fair bit on my hands and knees, and it's hard to kick when you're down there," he said.

"People tend to love flashy players who use their feet, but I've always felt that if it's good enough for guys like Scotty West and (Brisbane Lions champion) Simon Black - two guys I model myself around - then it's definitely good enough for me.

"I love bringing my teammates into the game, and I've always had players around me who are much quicker and more damaging than me. So when guys like Lindsay Gilbee, Robert Murphy, Nathan Eagleton, Ryan Griffen and Adam Cooney run past you, it's an easy decision to give them the ball."

Cross insisted his handball-happy style wasn't due to a common misconception that he lacked confidence in his kicking.

"That may have been the case in my first couple of years but from '05, I've done so much work on my kicking. I back myself by foot just as much as I do by hand."

Cross's ability to win the ball and get his hands free from tacklers has no doubt been helped by his proportionately wide wingspan and bigger-than-average hands.

A source of curiosity for Cross is how he became a more proficient left-handed handballer, given he's a right-hander at everything else in life. He suggests it might be the result of breaking his right arm at 15 (an injury that weakened his right wrist, which he has strapped for each match). He can also relate to a theory espoused by Williams (another lefty), who believes the dominant hand is the one that actually holds the ball and provides the platform for a handball.

Asked if he had vivid recollections of any of the thousands of handballs he'd offloaded, Cross thought hard before nominating one - and only because he'd seen footage of it in a highlights package that accompanied West's recent induction to the Bulldogs' Hall of Fame.

The Dogs were playing Richmond at Docklands in round one, 2006, and Cross handballed over his shoulder without looking and found West, who goaled. The ever-modest Cross scoffed at the suggestion he shared a sixth sense with West.

"I'd just say we had a good relationship," he said. "And that was only the case because we worked hard at it. Nothing like that just happens."

And doubly so where records are concerned.

Highest average handballs - 1974-2012 (50 games minimum)
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/table.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/table2.jpg

bornadog
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
He has his limitations, but how many players find the ball as much as Cross does.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2012, 06:16 PM
"I suppose I play a fair bit on my hands and knees, and it's hard to kick when you're down there," he said.

But not impossible!

Desipura
05-07-2012, 09:41 PM

But not impossible!

Hard to chase your opponent as well!

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Hard to chase your opponent as well!

Don't need to chase when you're the one with the ball

jeemak
06-07-2012, 01:18 AM
He's carved out an extremely good career, on the back of his guts, endurance and use of the ball by hand. It's a shame we don't have many good ball users running by him once he takes a solid mark or gained possession these days, as it's hampered his effectiveness.

Desipura
06-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Don't need to chase when you're the one with the ball

You do when the handball goes to a teammate under pressure, and a turnover occurs.

Hotdog60
06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
He's carved out an extremely good career, on the back of his guts, endurance and use of the ball by hand. It's a shame we don't have many good ball users running by him once he takes a solid mark or gained possession these days, as it's hampered his effectiveness.

There lies the difference between West and Cross. West had players always ready to receive and make the most of Scott's hard work. Cross can do the hard work but doesn't often have the release he requires.

chef
06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
There lies the difference between West and Cross. West had players always ready to receive and make the most of Scott's hard work. Cross can do the hard work but doesn't often have the release he requires.

Bit more to it than that. West would be in the top handful of WB players I have seen.

Hotdog60
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Bit more to it than that. West would be in the top handful of WB players I have seen.

West was a absolute super star no doubt, but could Cross have a higher rating with more support. It's the old problem that's be discussed here lots of times, we lack players who demand the ball and use it. We have Griff and Coons but the later is not like he was and the former is sat on every game.

Jeanette54
06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Its a shame that they don't have stats for showing the courage to back into a pack to take a mark. Daniel would win that too !

Desipura
06-07-2012, 09:36 AM
You do when the handball goes to a teammate under pressure, and a turnover occurs.

Its a shame that they don't have stats for showing the courage to back into a pack to take a mark. Daniel would win that too !

Agree, he would have to be one of the best overhead marks for a midfielder.

Mantis
06-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Agree, he would have to be one of the best overhead marks for a midfielder.

It would have been great if we could have utilised his ability to take a grab better up forward.

Geelong used to kick to Ling in a 1 on 1 contest about 40m from goal knowing that Ling was not only strong overhead, but also a great set shot kick... Crossy doesn't have this string to bow which is a shame.

Sedat
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
He'd be one of the few players on our list who has improved in 2012 from his 2011 output. It's a massive credit to him that he's been able to add value to the team in other areas apast from the stoppages despite being one of the veterans of the group. I had grave concerns for him 18 months ago but he's the least of our problems right now.

westdog54
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM

You can add manic professionalism and will to succeed to that.

Desipura
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
It would have been great if we could have utilised his ability to take a grab better up forward.

Geelong used to kick to Ling in a 1 on 1 contest about 40m from goal knowing that Ling was not only strong overhead, but also a great set shot kick... Crossy doesn't have this string to bow which is a shame.

Totally agree

bornadog
06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
He'd be one of the few players on our list who has improved in 2012 from his 2011 output. It's a massive credit to him that he's been able to add value to the team in other areas apast from the stoppages despite being one of the veterans of the group. I had grave concerns for him 18 months ago but he's the least of our problems right now.

I put that down to the coach who has utilised him based on his limitations.

Greystache
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I put that down to the coach who has utilised him based on his limitations.

Agree with that. Cross was pretty much finished as a centre bounce midfield accumulator, but he has actually been one of our best contributors this season. The way we are using him amplifies his elite qualities (endurance, courage, and overhead marking), and limiting the exposure of his obvious weaknesses. I'd still like to see him play a similar role but across half forward, he's not much slower than Gia, has better endurance, and will apply more effort to locking the ball in.

Hard to believe but we could almost do with 2 Cross' at the moment, I bet no one would have said that last year.

LostDoggy
06-07-2012, 03:19 PM

I seem to recall Westy kicking quite a few running goals in his younger days??

Twodogs
06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I seem to recall Westy kicking quite a few running goals in his younger days??

I'm pretty sure he kicked 6 in his second game (V Essendon at Whitten Oval). The week after that against West Coast that heroic tough guy John Worsfold ran through him a couple of times.

Remi Moses
06-07-2012, 11:32 PM

Agree, he was shot last season. His work ethic and courage and playing within his limitations have lead to an improvement.Had a great career

Ghost Dog
08-07-2012, 02:19 AM
The 'anti-cross' sentiment has decreased considerably on these boards compared to last year!