PDA

View Full Version : Panos and Jones Combination up forward

Eastdog
06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I thought I'll start a thread to get WOOFERS thoughts on this forward combination of Jones and Panos. Could it potentially work down the track for us?

hotdog
06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
It would be difficult with Panos playing at Willy...

SlimPickens
06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
It would be difficult with Panos playing at Willy...

As is Jones this week, let's see what happens.

Eastdog
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
See what they do at Williamstown first but I'm saying in the senior side could they be a good forward combination.

LostDoggy
06-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Jones is not the answer to our future forwardline!

I keep hearing about his talent "this kids the future", "he will be a good key forward", He's gonna this, & gonna that! I'm yet to see anything apart from he can't kick ,can't mark or handball!
I would love to see Panos get a shot in the team. You never know he might be the answer?

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2012, 05:25 PM

I keep hearing about his talent "this kids the future", "he will be a good key forward", He's gonna this, & gonna that! I'm yet to see anything apart from he can't kick ,can't mark or handball!
I would love to see Panos get a shot in the team. You never know he might be the answer?

20 game rule (on both counts).

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
As is Jones this week, let's see what happens.

Will be interesting to hear the reports on how this works.

I've been curious about it for a while now and personally i think they complement each other nicely. Sure they are a long way off from being world beaters but i think Panos has enough smarts and is a reliable kick to be a good foil if he can get his game and fitness up to AFL standard. Jones we know can play a strong marking chf lead up go to man but is down on confidence and struggled everywhere this year. If he did get his A game back again along with Jarrad Grant i think the three of them do have qualities we can use.

Roughead, Cordy Campbell, Minson are more your big ruckmen forwards who kind of get in the way a little and are probably less accountable than the others.

I think we've just been too obsessed with finding a big strong tall that we have been trying to force one of these guys to be a saviour, instead of looking to players strengths and where they might complement each other with balance.

Panos has shown albeit at Willy and Nab cup that he has a very good football brain, he's a natural footballer with excellent skills, but isn't quick or super strong overhead.
He is however very creative by hand or foot and smart enough to sneak out on a short lead, and i'd back him to kick most goals.
The others in comparison look like they have all the physical attributes but look like they have come straight from basketball or something. Mixing Panos in there might just bring some balance back.

Who knows, i think it's worth a try and i'm hoping he kicks 4-5 and Jones kicks 3 but takes 15 contested marks :)

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM

He could mark ok last year.

He's clearly a confidence player with raw ability and a poor kick (i'll give you that one).

Thrusting him to the focus as the saviour was not a good plan but he's gonna have to learn from it and pick himself up now.

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Peter German's review of Panos isn't too gleaming:

"Matt Panos: He played forward and kicked two first quarter goals. He had a couple of opportunities to kick another couple but just got caught with the ball. His attack on the ball was good and we were pleased with his approach to the game. If a bit of luck went his way he could have quite easily kicked four goals and hopefully that is a game he can really keep building on. "

Basically saying he's too slow for AFL. If he's getting caught at Willy then this will show up more at another level. :(

OK who's the next gun forward?

........Tom Hill! ;)

Greystache
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

"Matt Panos: He played forward and kicked two first quarter goals. He had a couple of opportunities to kick another couple but just got caught with the ball. His attack on the ball was good and we were pleased with his approach to the game. If a bit of luck went his way he could have quite easily kicked four goals and hopefully that is a game he can really keep building on. "

Basically saying he's too slow for AFL. If he's getting caught at Willy then this will show up more at another level. :(

........Tom Hill! ;)

I remember that play, I forgot to mention it in my write up.

Basically he got the ball over the back of a marking contest about 40m out and took off towards goal, he had the chance to kick it from 20m, but ran an extra few steps and a defender came in from the blind side and tackled him. It was a bit of a howler to be honest, but I wouldn't necessarily put it down to lack of pace, more lack of vision and trying to get too close to goal before taking the shot.

LostDoggy
06-07-2012, 05:49 PM

........Tom Hill! ;)

When you rebuild everyone should get a taste.

You never know some might shine on a big stage.

Remi Moses
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Bookmark this thread ^^
Takes key forwards years to become good players! He needs to increase his aerobic capacity and second efforts. To early to call

Ozza
06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I love how tall forwards are either the 'answer' or not 'the answer'.

They can't just be AFL players.

In my opinion, Jones will make it. He has the required attributes - but just has to learn the game more - and have the team playing with some form of structure.

Eastdog
06-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I love how tall forwards are either the 'answer' or not 'the answer'.

They can't just be AFL players.

In my opinion, Jones will make it. He has the required attributes - but just has to learn the game more - and have the team playing with some form of structure.

We forget that Jones is still young and I think he can be a quality player if he improves his weaknesses to his game.

Go_Dogs
06-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Interesting thread.

In theory they should compliment each other well, one being a more traditional lead up, mark and kick straight and the other being the more powerful, contested marking style forward. At the moment we are too heavy in contested marking style forwards, so having a bloke like Panos (as opposed to small/medium sized lead up players) adds a point of difference.

We may see it one day at AFL level...

Eastdog
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I said in another thread that I hope Panos debuts this season. Does anyone think Panos will make his debut this season.

Go_Dogs
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I said in another thread that I hope Panos debuts this season. Does anyone think Panos will make his debut this season.

Difficult to say Eastdog. I expect he'll get an opportunity at some stage but unless our selection of 3 ruck sized players stops, it's hard to see him getting a run - that said we don't seem to show a huge emphasis on balance, so who knows.

G-Mo77
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Bookmark this thread ^^
Takes key forwards years to become good players! He needs to increase his aerobic capacity and second efforts. To early to call

I'll bookmark it. I'm very confident the kid will make it. Far to much expectations on him from some of our supporters. I get tired of hearing he's not up to it, he's a kid expected by fans to do what Barry Hall did if you think that was ever going to happen you are obviously pretty dense.

jeemak
07-07-2012, 12:39 AM

........Tom Hill! ;)

Or you could look at it this way, he did everything we wanted of him for the most part, though he just had one or two instances in which he let himself down by not understanding his limitations :)

It's actually a fairly positive review. Fair enough as Greystache has said it might have been a howler of an error, though 18-22 year olds can be prone to those at all levels.

BTW, do you really believe that if you get caught holding the ball once or twice at Willi that your AFL career is done?

G-Mo77
07-07-2012, 01:02 AM
I honestly thought we'd see a bit of the Panos/Jones forward line this season. Unfortunately 15 rounds in Panos has not made it into the squad. There's still time though and Panos seems to be doing the right things in recent weeks. Although without a good ball user I don't know how much help Panos would be anyway. Hope he gets some games in before the end of season.

w3design
08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I remember that play, I forgot to mention it in my write up.

Basically he got the ball over the back of a marking contest about 40m out and took off towards goal, he had the chance to kick it from 20m, but ran an extra few steps and a defender came in from the blind side and tackled him. It was a bit of a howler to be honest, but I wouldn't necessarily put it down to lack of pace, more lack of vision and trying to get too close to goal before taking the shot.

My recollection of the incident in question is similar, but not quite he same. I felt that he took possession, then turned and started toward goal from a standing start. I would have said he took no more than three or four steps to steady himself, and was about to kick when he was run down from behind by a player who had already been on the move, and so had momentum.
The other incident when he was caught in possession if I recall correctly, was in the middle of a pack situation where he was tackled before he had much opportunity to either kick or handball it away. Crossy would probably have got that one away in time, but not many other players though.

Remi Moses
08-07-2012, 12:45 AM
I'll bookmark it. I'm very confident the kid will make it. Far to much expectations on him from some of our supporters. I get tired of hearing he's not up to it, he's a kid expected by fans to do what Barry Hall did if you think that was ever going to happen you are obviously pretty dense.

Think he'll make it . Watched Butcher tonight and remembered the hype, he's struggling this year. It's really hard to be a young key forward in this environment.We need to be extremely patient.Heard a damming stat last night that we have only 19% scoring when inside 50!
It's the lowest in over a decade:eek:

Bumper Bulldogs
08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Heard a damming stat last night that we have only 19% scoring when inside 50!
It's the lowest in over a decade:eek:

And this is not due to the talks, more the fact that the smells have not kept I in IMO. Due to effort of injury this is what I see as the main issue, if they had been hitting the score board all of a sudden the ball starts going the way of the talls.

I don't really think that Grant as shown anything as a forward coach this year and he needs to get better structures and enable the guys on the park an opportunity to show us all what we know. They have the goods.