PDA

View Full Version : who we could go after......

LostDoggy
23-09-2007, 01:03 AM
I just wanted to open this thread to discuss who you possibly think we could go after during the trade period.

A few names that come to my mind are:
Courtney Johns
Shannon Hurn
Cam wood
Kepler Bradley ( only because he was a highly rated youngster)
Cleve hughes

any more players you might know of or opinions on the players listed above

Topdog
23-09-2007, 10:14 AM
To be honest I dont think we have a chance with the Hurn and Wood. Not a big fan of Johns, just doesnt seem to have a good football brain IMO and I can imagine him being rather injury prone.

Bradley I'm not interested in and I dont know too much about Hughes to be honest.

GVGjr
23-09-2007, 10:29 AM
If we are chasing a tall capable of filling a few positions then Bradley 'might' come into calculations but only at a very cheap cost. If the Hudson trade gets over the line then it probably rules that one out.
Hurn will not be leaving WA but if he did it would be more likely that he would head home to SA.
Johns is not a player that I think would add any value to us.
Cam Wood is a player we could try and get but won't come cheap and of course if the Hudson trade gets through it would be then unlikely we would trade for Wood.

LostDoggy
23-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I hope we don't trade for too many players. I hope set a max on 2.

The Underdog
23-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I hope we don't trade for too many players. I hope set a max on 2.

Just Hudson and Robertson then?:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
23-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Im interested in Hudson & Fevola still, no-one has mentioned his named much lately - maybe because hes bound to goto WCE if Judd goes to Carlton?

We need a Ruckman & Forward. None of those players above interest me, same with Robertson, who i think has had his day. But hey thats just my opinion.

Sockeye Salmon
23-09-2007, 12:44 PM
No-one's mentioned Fevola because he's about 99.9% certain to be playing for Carlton next year.

Ryan Murphy
Courtney Johns
Jay Schultz

It's a pretty meagre list.

LostDoggy
23-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Richmond might choose to keep Shultz, if he plays well in todays VFL Grand Final

macca028
23-09-2007, 01:38 PM
It would be better for the dogs to chase wood instead of hudson and the lions have plenty in their ruck stocks. How will wood get a game there when they have luenburger and charman.

I dont think we should touch robertson, not the player we need. He is another hit up player who can take a speccie, reminds me of robbins

We need a Big forward like kenny Mcgreggor from adelaide who i think has asked to be traded because they are not playing him. Although the dogs need an inside big tough midfielder i think that if cooney, griffen and boyd spend time in the gym over summer than they can fill this role.

Should be an interesting trade period

bomber_fan
23-09-2007, 04:27 PM
hey there doggie fans..
just doing some browesing on opposition boards and reading your opinions on the trade and draft periods...

i think if the right deal was done that Courtney Johns could be of some benefit to you. He is a BIG boy and very strong and can take a good grab. He just isnt getting a game at essendon because of lloyd and lucas in his way.
I think with a big pre-season he could be more than handy.

thoughts?

The Coon Dog
23-09-2007, 05:04 PM
hey there doggie fans..
just doing some browesing on opposition boards and reading your opinions on the trade and draft periods...

i think if the right deal was done that Courtney Johns could be of some benefit to you. He is a BIG boy and very strong and can take a good grab. He just isnt getting a game at essendon because of lloyd and lucas in his way.

thoughts?

He's utter crap, like most of the players opposition fans offer up.

I knew opposition fans would eventually find their way here, as long as they don't act like opposition fans somewhere else.

GVGjr
23-09-2007, 05:42 PM
hey there doggie fans..

thoughts?
Yes we lack some talls but what would Johns actually offer us?
If he was the main focus he would cop the best defender from every other team and I'm afraid he would fall well short. He is also not really an option in the ruck even for just a 5 or 10 min burst.

A little to injury prone as well plus I don't think there is another level to extract out of him. How many project players from one team end up being a success at another? There would be a few but there would be vastly more failures.

dog town
24-09-2007, 11:30 AM
What I do like about Johns is that he is aggressive which is something I think we could do with from a big forward. The fact that he is injury prone and has had pretty ordinary returns in his few games work against him. His vfl stats are not really impressive either.

bornadog
24-09-2007, 06:54 PM
What I do like about Johns is that he is aggressive which is something I think we could do with from a big forward. The fact that he is injury prone and has had pretty ordinary returns in his few games work against him. His vfl stats are not really impressive either.

Would have been better to keep Walsh.

LostDoggy
25-09-2007, 01:37 PM
i think courtney johns could definetly add another dimension to our team, in that he is a big lead up forward who can take a good mark, and lets not forget he has only had 1 or 1 and 1/2 years of footy since his hip injury so, he is probably still building.

macca028
26-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I wouldnt mine picking up johns, i think that we could get him relativaly cheap and just sit him in the goal square to burst packs open. Then lynch higgins and harbrow can just sit at his feet.

The Coon Dog
26-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I wouldnt mine picking up johns, i think that we could get him relativaly cheap and just sit him in the goal square to burst packs open. Then lynch higgins and harbrow can just sit at his feet.

Surely Will Minson could do that. Wouldn't have to give anything up either.

Sockeye Salmon
27-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Surely Will Minson could do that. Wouldn't have to give anything up either.

As silly as it sounds, I think Johns could offer us something, too.

It would have to be a use-our-last-pick-rather-than-a-prayer-on-a-kid-who-won't-make-it scenario, but while Johns has (many) limitations he can time a lead (Minson can't) and kick from 50 (Minson can't do that either).

John's can only play FF though, and if Grant plays on I can only see him as a FF as well, which might be a bit problematic for young Courtney.

LostDoggy
27-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I think Johns has been weighed and measured and has been found wanting. I don't want him if he is just going to kick 30 goals a year and peak at 2 goals a game.

Sedat
27-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Richmond might choose to keep Shultz, if he plays well in todays VFL Grand Final
Guess not then :D. He really looked like a lost soul out there on Sunday, although he was no worse than Reiwoldt, whose effort and intensity was truly appalling. Schulz looks like a delist candidate for Richmond, which in that case I would not tade for him and invite him to train his ass off with us in the pre-season to see if he can salvage his AFL career. I know I'm in the minority, but I think he does have the basic tools to make a success of a key forward post in the AFL. It really is up to him. Not having to deal with Richo next to him in the goal square won't hurt his developement.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Kepler Bradley
What has happened to this player so that he now appears to be on the market. Prior to him becoming drafted he was one of the outstanding players in the WAFL.

Farren Ray was taken by us ahead of Kepler Bradley.

Essendon used him as a key position player on several occasions during his first few seasons.

What happened so that he did not blossom?

southerncross
27-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Kepler Bradley
What has happened to this player so that he now appears to be on the market. Prior to him becoming drafted he was one of the outstanding players in the WAFL.

Farren Ray was taken by us ahead of Kepler Bradley.

Essendon used him as a key position player on several occasions during his first few seasons.

What happened so that he did not blossom?

My understanding is that he didn't commit himself to his footy this year and he might have thought things were just going to bounce his way.
He has talent but without the required application he's been off the mark.

A change of clubs might just be the tonic for him.

Dry Rot
27-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Kind of funny that everyone connected with that Brown/Rawlings etc deal was doomed.

Rocco Jones
27-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Would only be interested in Johns if Essendon de-listed him and we could get him for virtually nothing.

Urch has been de-listed by North, would be worth a look. It's not really a talent question with him but whether he can actually stay fit. It's a pity he is too old for the rookie list.

I would be interested in Mattner is he is/becomes available. He seems to have fallen out of favour at Adelaide, with the move from wing to defence turning into a big failure. Many of our fans might say we have enough 'smalls' but his tackling/defensive work could be very valuable.