PDA

View Full Version : Saving Mr Skinner

Ghost Dog
08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
The brother of dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes has emerged as a key confidante who has helped keep alive the AFL dream of remote WA football product Zephaniah Skinner.

Brett Goodes, the player well- being manager of the Western Bulldogs, insists that watching his brother rise to such fame from equally humble beginnings has given him the skill set to help others reach their potential.

Hailing from Noonkanbah station in WA's far north, Skinner has had to fight his way through homesickness and significant assimilation difficulties to retain his place on the Bulldogs list.

But while the talented 23-year-old, who was a speculative pick at No.88 in the 2010 national draft, narrowly missed selection for today's clash with Fremantle at Patersons Stadium, he and Goodes are confident he will soon add to his three games. Goodes, who also plays with the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown, was once a teammate of Skinner at the Northern Territory Thunder.

He has seen vast improvement in Skinner, but much of his role was also delivering life perspective to players so they did not waste their talents.

"When you talk about Adam, he had it tough too," Goodes said.

"I'm pretty sure he went through the same sort of things as Zephi when he first went to the club. He was close to coming home, so when you think of what Zephi is dealing with, they are the same things.

"It's just trying to get the boys to understand what a commitment it is and how professional you need to be to play at the level. The boys from up that way have amazing talent and speed, but even the Riolis and others who have come through have had to work hard.

"I want to make someone like Zephi understand what he has to do to make the most of his opportunity that he's got now.

"But I also just want to make sure they're OK."

Skinner said moving away from his tight-knit family to city life in Melbourne had been his biggest off-field challenge and almost prompted him to give in to the pressures.

"I think I've taken some positive steps. I talk to Goodesy when I'm feeling down and he always gives some good feedback," Skinner said.

Having watched his cousin Alroy Gilligan make it onto Richmond's list before heading home to play in last year's Claremont premiership gave Skinner the belief that he, too, could make it at the highest level.

He is trying to find the right balance between his natural marking and goal-kicking talents with the defensive ethic required in the modern game.

"I grew up just taking hangers, so it's hard when you've got to balance that with your defensive pressure. You've got to have both and I'm still working on it," Skinner said.

"I've been dreaming to play AFL all my life, coming from a remote community. It means a lot."

While Skinner is making many positive steps forward, a closing comment from Goodes is the most poignant: "I know now that if for some reason I wasn't here, Zephi would be OK."

"I want to make someone like Zephi understand what he has to do to make the most of his opportunity that he's got now." " Player wellbeing manager *Brett Goodes *

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/14156489/saving-the-bulldogs-skinner/

LostDoggy
08-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Of all the players on our list who we could let go, he is the one I would be most disappointed to see leave. I think he really has something but patience, education and experience is required. He has the body to be a footballer. What he doesn't have yet are polished skills and know how. He is coming from a long way back, but I can see, in the strides he has made so far, what he could be like if his progression continues at this pace. We must look to the longer term view, not the short term, with a player like Skinner.

LostDoggy
09-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Of all the players on our list who we could let go, he is the one I would be most disappointed to see leave. I think he really has something but patience, education and experience is required. He has the body to be a footballer. What he doesn't have yet are polished skills and know how. He is coming from a long way back, but I can see, in the strides he has made so far, what he could be like if his progression continues at this pace. We must look to the longer term view, not the short term, with a player like Skinner.

Absolutely agree. I just hope we show that patience.

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I agree. He's the only fringe player on our list with even a hint of X factor.
His upside is enormous and he deserves a longer incubation period than others due to his background and the massive journey literally and culturally from the Kimberley to Melbourne.

LostDoggy
09-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Love watching him play, and I do hope, but he's clearly a monster flight risk. One more year, but back on the rookie list to decide for me.

LostDoggy
09-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Yep will be hugely dissapointed if we let him go, given the chance i think he become the most exciting player on our list. He is a amazing athlete just needs some experience

always right
09-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Hate to say this but I just don't see it with Zeph.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Hate to say this but I just don't see it with Zeph.

This.

But I would like to see us give Zeph a run of 4-5 games to see if he's worth persisting with. And I don't mean as a starting sub.

LostDoggy
11-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Love watching him play, and I do hope, but he's clearly a monster flight risk. One more year, but back on the rookie list to decide for me.

That could send him the wrong message, and cause the flight.

AndrewP6
11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
That could send him the wrong message, and cause the flight.

IMO if he can't handle the message that he's not quite ready, we should cut him loose.

stefoid
11-07-2012, 07:01 PM
heart says yes, head says no

Bumper Bulldogs
14-07-2012, 08:36 AM
heart says yes, head says no

Hope says yes but the head says no,

I struggle with the thought that it takes 4 or 5 years to make p your mind on a kid.

We all have seen snippets of what his has to offer and it should to come down to the off field stuff, the dogs will already know if he is ready to go or not.

It comes down to does me fit the game plan that BMac wants. From lack of games tis year one would have to say not.

Xfactor or nt he just doesn't crack in and I'm sure that what the plan is moving forward.

Ghost Dog
14-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Hope says yes but the head says no,

I struggle with the thought that it takes 4 or 5 years to make p your mind on a kid.

We all have seen snippets of what his has to offer and it should to come down to the off field stuff, the dogs will already know if he is ready to go or not.

It comes down to does me fit the game plan that BMac wants. From lack of games tis year one would have to say not.

Xfactor or nt he just doesn't crack in and I'm sure that what the plan is moving forward.

I disagree. He cracks in well. I've been down to see him a few times. He just lacks the understanding of how to position himself. Also pushed off the ball easily. But offers a fantastic chase and his defensive efforts are well known, even in his NT thunder days.

F'scary
14-07-2012, 03:33 PM
We should retain Skinner on the senior list for 2013. Because he does have the X factor. Could turn out to be anything.

What really annoys me at the moment is the lack of opportunities in the seniors for players like Skinner, Panos, Hooper, Johanisson, etc.

Given where we are at, I am stunned to see selections like Gilbee, Gia and a half-fit Cooney persist. I cannot believe we don't try something else instead of the 3 or more ruckmen configuration every match.

Given what has happened to our season, the Skinners of this team must be tried in the seniors from hereon in so that the coaching staff can be in a better informed position of whether these players should be retained or not.

stefoid
14-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Joho got / will be promoted for Mulligans LTI, isnt he?

jeemak
15-07-2012, 01:02 AM
I don't see the harm in leaving him on the list personally. There's not a lot of value in putting two years of what I hope is comprehensive development into a player that was always going to take some time to adjust to his surroundings and get his fitness up.

We need to treat him as a third year player next year, rather than a 23 year old player (who's age equivalent might have had five years in the system). It's obvious we need to cut the list deeply, though we need to be mindful that some of the players that have been developed over the last couple of years could be a better chance of making it than players that come in fresh, irrespective of their age and draft position.

GVGjr
15-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't see the harm in leaving him on the list personally. There's not a lot of value in putting two years of what I hope is comprehensive development into a player that was always going to take some time to adjust to his surroundings and get his fitness up.

I'm probably of the same view unless the club doesn't think they can take him further. At the moment he's a fair way off the mark and we would need to be confident that further exposure to the professional AFL environment will help him get to where we want.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2012, 12:25 PM

We need to treat him as a third year player next year, rather than a 23 year old player (who's age equivalent might have had five years in the system). It's obvious we need to cut the list deeply, though we need to be mindful that some of the players that have been developed over the last couple of years could be a better chance of making it than players that come in fresh, irrespective of their age and draft position.

Excellent point Jeemak.