PDA

View Full Version : Dogs look to promote another rookie

GVGjr
12-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Dogs look to promote another rookie (http://afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/141189/default.aspx)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/JohannisenTrain_246a.jpg

LINE-BREAKING midfielder Jason Johannisen is favoured to become the third rookie to be promoted to the Western Bulldogs' playing list this season after defender James Mulligan was placed on the long-term injury list on Wednesday.

AFL.com.au recently highlighted the depth of talent on the Bulldogs' rookie list, identifying Johannisen and fellow 19-year-old midfielder Lin Jong as players who would perhaps be in the running for senior berths if they were on the club's primary list.

Both Johannisen and Jong have been impressive with the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown.

Second-year rookie Johannisen, recruited from WAFL club East Fremantle, was sidelined with a medial ligament earlier this season but quickly regained form.

He appears likely to join elevated pair Mark Austin and Tom Campbell at AFL level, where his speed and elusiveness would complement the Bulldogs' admirable contested work.

Things don't look as positive for 23-year-old Mulligan, who has been struck down with a season-ending Achilles injury.

The 199cm 96kg Queenslander, who played three games for the Bulldogs last year, will be uncontracted at season's end and now faces an uncertain future at Whitten Oval. He played just five games in Williamstown's senior side this year.

Regardless of which player the Bulldogs decide to upgrade (Total Player Payments permitting), it will add some much-needed excitement and enthusiasm to a club that has lost five of its past six games - including their past three in a row - by an average of 58 points.

GVGjr
12-07-2012, 06:57 AM
After losing Ward to GWS, Johannisen has been our WOOF sponsored player this year.
Despite a few set backs with injuries since he joined the club, he has been making a lot of progress this year.

LostDoggy
12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Good positive stuff from the club. Love it. Three rookies in one year.

SlimPickens
12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Form was good at Willy last weekend, hopefully he can keep this going and see some senior footy later in the year.

LostDoggy
12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Form was good at Willy last weekend, hopefully he can keep this going and see some senior footy later in the year.

I expect him to play sooner rather than later.
What was the point promoting him if we aren't gonna play him just yet.

azabob
12-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I expect him to play sooner rather than later.
What was the point promoting him if we aren't gonna play him just yet.

He hasnt been promoted, has he? But as you suggest he most likely will.

Cyberdoggie
12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Definately got the skill set we are in need of. Might take him a while to adjust though, can't see him making a huge impact this year if he does get promoted but will be good experience none the less.

Ghost Dog
12-07-2012, 12:16 PM
you never know! Look at our new John Platten.

Mantis
12-07-2012, 12:34 PM

You've had your fair share of 'what the' comments over the years... but really, 'What the??'

Throughandthrough
12-07-2012, 12:45 PM

After watching the big replay with Peter Landy, allways thought that John's surname was Plattenwithcourage.

Ghost Dog
12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
You've had your fair share of 'what the' comments over the years... but really, 'What the??'

As long as I'm just getting my share. If I go over your limit Mantis, just put me on your ignore list and you won't read my posts. Think solutions!

Platten = Dahlhaus look alike.

BulldogBelle
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
It's true, you never know when a young player could just come in and put in some great performances. Can't wait to see him debut!

Mantis
12-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Ah... I get it.

I blame it on TDFitis

westdog54
12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Ah... I get it.

I blame it on TDFitis

I hear you.

Would love to see JJ get a crack at it. Was it Longmire that was rabbitting on about 'Reward for Effort' last weekend?

A bit of dash certainly couldn't hurt. Give the kid a taste and see what comes of it.

DragzLS1
12-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Look at Luke D last year! Tutt's first game was reqarded with 3 goals in his first 3 kicks of afl football (some sort of record?) and Clay Smith debut against west coast round 1 where he kicked 4 goals.

We have some luck with debutants of late :) lets hope JJ gets a go and produces a grat first game for us!

anfo27
12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Great news for the kid and I look forward to seeing JJ play as i haven't seen any vision of him at Willi yet.

Only negative on the article was having it confirmed that Mulligan really did play 3 games last year. I had already deleted those 3 games out of my memory for my own sanity but have now relived them all over again. I would say unfortunately that James was the worst player i have ever seen wear the red, white & blue.

Sockeye Salmon
12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Great news for the kid and I look forward to seeing JJ play as i haven't seen any vision of him at Willi yet.

Only negative on the article was having it confirmed that Mulligan really did play 3 games last year. I had already deleted those 3 games out of my memory for my own sanity but have now relived them all over again. I would say unfortunately that James was the worst player i have ever seen wear the red, white & blue.

Nic Bruton says hi

Desipura
12-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Nic Bruton says hi

Damian Ryan also says hi

anfo27
12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Nic Bruton says hi

Name rings a bell but do not recall seeing him play seniors so Mulligan still has the number 1 ranking.

Twodogs
12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
As long as I'm just getting my share. If I go over your limit Mantis, just put me on your ignore list and you won't read my posts. Think solutions!

Platten never had dreadlocks.

Nic Bruton says hi

Damian Ryan also says hi

I see them. They're over there with Alistair Ford waving to us.

Sedat
13-07-2012, 01:48 AM
I see them. They're over there with Alistair Ford waving to us.I see your Alister Ford and I raise you a Mark Komp. To quote Doug Heywood from The Winners circa 1982...."Mark Komp, kicks it like he normally does, very poorly"

Greystache
13-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Need more Tim Walsh- 1 game in 5 years and first year out of the AFL system not able to hold CHF in the B grade amateurs.

Twodogs
13-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I see your Alister Ford and I raise you a Mark Komp. To quote Doug Heywood from The Winners circa 1982...."Mark Komp, kicks it like he normally does, very poorly"

He's my son's physical education teacher. Parent teacher interviews usually go something like "How's he going" "He's excellent-no problems with him at all" and then we talk about football for half an hour. But yeah, weird, weird kicking style. Of course it was his job to kick the ball in after the opposition kicked a point.

Need more Tim Walsh- 1 game in 5 years and first year out of the AFL system not able to hold CHF in the B grade amateurs.

I kick, 1 goal must be some sort of record. I dont know any other player who has a 100% kick to goal ratio in AFL/VFL history.

Name rings a bell but do not recall seeing him play seniors so Mulligan still has the number 1 ranking.

Nick played a couple of games in 2003. You'd be excused for not remembering them.

Tutt's first game was reqarded with 3 goals in his first 3 kicks of afl football (some sort of record?)

Clen Denning kicked 6 goals with his first 6 kicks in 1935 for Carlton.

anfo27
13-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Are posters just naming terrible players or do they really believe that these players are worse than Mulligan?

Tim Walsh had more natural ability than Mulligan ever had. Mulligan does not have an ounce of natural ability.

Twodogs
13-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Are posters just naming terrible players or do they really believe that these players are worse than Mulligan?

Tim Walsh had more natural ability than Mulligan ever had. Mulligan does not have an ounce of natural ability.

But it's not just ablity that makes a good footballer. Abilty gets you a chance (in most cases-some make it on sheer dertermination or a family name), that's it.

anfo27
13-07-2012, 02:52 PM
But it's not just ablity that makes a good footballer. Abilty gets you a chance (in most cases-some make it on sheer dertermination or a family name), that's it.

I agree but Mulligan doesn't have ability, determination, family name or anything for that matter. He seems to have got a game because it was late in the year & we wanted to see how he went. He was put on the list because of his height & he can run.

bornadog
13-07-2012, 02:55 PM
This thread has turned to shit.

Maddog37
13-07-2012, 03:16 PM

I like to call it "the Mulligan effect".

jeemak
13-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think.

I'd happily see us promote and try another rookie. Not a Willy watcher, though if JJ has pace, can run and carry and penetrate with his kicking them we don't have anything to lose really.

bornadog
13-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Get off the fence and tell us what you really think.

I thought I did:D

anfo27
13-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Sorry for that bornadog. It is a JJ thread after all & not a 'how crap is James Mulligan' thread.

bornadog
13-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Sorry for that bornadog. It is a JJ thread after all & not a 'how crap is James Mulligan' thread.

No problems. Most of those players mentioned played more AFL games than my (or most of us on this forum) zero games:D

LostDoggy
13-07-2012, 07:14 PM
He's my son's physical education teacher. Parent teacher interviews usually go something like "How's he going" "He's excellent-no problems with him at all" and then we talk about football for half an hour. But yeah, weird, weird kicking style. Of course it was his job to kick the ball in after the opposition kicked a point.

Sure that's not his brother? First name escapes me, who was also at the club but just the reserves.
He is a pe teacher at secondary school near you.
Top bloke

Bulldog4life
13-07-2012, 07:26 PM
No problems. Most of those players mentioned played more AFL games than my (or most of us on this forum) zero games:D

Who are the ones who have?

bornadog
13-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Who are the ones who have?

Just guessing the odd ex player may be a forum member

Twodogs
13-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Sure that's not his brother? First name escapes me, who was also at the club but just the reserves.
He is a pe teacher at secondary school near you.
Top bloke

Mark?

LostDoggy
13-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Mark?

Andrew Komp.
This guy
http://sportsacademy.maribsc.vic.edu.au/teachers.html

Twodogs
14-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Andrew Komp.
This guy
http://sportsacademy.maribsc.vic.edu.au/teachers.html

Twodogs jr goes to a different school.

bornadog
25-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Confirmed as elevated

Scraggers
25-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Confirmed as elevated

Just read that ... Looking for to watching JJ play !!

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142587/default.aspx)

Dazza
25-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I like to call it "the Mulligan effect".

Hahahaha