PDA

View Full Version : Glen the boner weighs in

Ghost Dog
12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
On Tuesday night, Shuey's advocate effectively tagged Thomas as a stager as the Eagle unsuccessfully fought a charge of elbowing Thomas in the genitals. Shuey, who has copped some criticism for simulation this year himself, lost the case and has been suspended for two matches over the Thomas incident last weekend.

North, which did not have Thomas at the tribunal hearing, was not impressed that its player was accused of wrongdoing, with football operations manager Donald McDonald saying it was ''not something we would do''.
Advertisement

Archer, the Shinboner of the Century, agreed. ''I think obviously Shuey's representative is doing everything in his power to get him off, but personally I think he went down the wrong line,'' Archer said.

''One thing with the tribunal that's disappointed me in the last five or six years is the old-school way of looking after your fellow player just doesn't seem to be there any more. At the end of the day, [as a player] you're all part of the same club. Whether it's the right thing or the wrong thing, I reckon every player should try to look after each other and a bit of 'what happens on the field, stays on the field' sort of thing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/low-blow-says-archer-20120711-21w9k.html#ixzz20M11lryz

I wonder if Glen Archer has 'Shinboner of the century' on his business card? :rolleyes:

chef
12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't get it. Whats wrong with him being 'Shinboner of the century'?

Fantastic player(and bloke apparently). Wish some of our players had his spirit.

Ghost Dog
12-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Face it. People just like saying 'Shinboner'.
You wish? If you want vertical stripes on your players instead of hoops, I'll post the North Melbourne membership number for you if you like? :D

Anyway, regards the article, he has his elbow in his nether regions so the Eagles are drawing a very long bow.

Scraggers
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
What happens on the field stays on the field, unless you talk about a player's Mummy !!

AndrewP6
12-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't get it. Whats wrong with him being 'Shinboner of the century'?

Fantastic player(and bloke apparently). Wish some of our players had his spirit.

Agreed. And yes, he is a good bloke. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but a good bloke just the same.

Remi Moses
12-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Bit of payback for some moaning about head high tackles , earlier in the season.
It's interesting the whole "shinboner spirit" stuff, as they sometimes bemoan the term.
Other times they wear it with a badge of honor.

LostDoggy
12-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I think this highlights how bad we treated Minson.
Thomas is a stager but North the club and ex players are defending him to the end.
Minson did bugger all and we give him a week.

Maddog37
12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Long bow to draw Chops.

chef
12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
You wish? If you want vertical stripes on your players instead of hoops, I'll post the North Melbourne membership number for you if you like?:D .

Hilarious:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
12-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Long bow to draw Chops.

How is it a long bow?
It's two examples of treatment to a similar situation.
One is defend the player/club and the other is cowl into the corner.

Scraggers
12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Thomas is a stager but North the club and ex players are defending him to the end.

I agree Chops !!

After dealing with the sooky-la-la, we never once stood as a club and defended Wil. As much as I hate North, I admire their defense of their own.

Maddog37
12-07-2012, 05:23 PM
How is it a long bow?
It's two examples of treatment to a similar situation.
One is defend the player/club and the other is cowl into the corner.

Actually on thinking about it I was barking up the wrong tree. Fair call.

azabob
12-07-2012, 08:34 PM
What happens on the field stays on the field, unless you talk about a player's Mummy !!

Exactly my thoughts.

SonofScray
12-07-2012, 09:59 PM
There's been a few examples now, Mclean at the Blues and now this. We threw Will to the wolves.

Just on this saga - I hate references to the player's code and unwritten laws etc. We used to cop a lot of flak about not playing within the spirit of the game, with the won squad and the flood etc but it was never about the game, it was just taking a shot at our club once the battler tag on the field had been broken.

In this instance, it is one group wanting to stitch another up, pr have a decent sook but don't have a leg to stand on so they go for the 'unwritten' rule. The Eagles have every right to put shit on the opposition to try and save their man.