Date: 15th July, 2012
Time: 3.15pm
Venue:Etihad Stadium

TV/ Radio Schedule -
TV - Ch. 7 Live / Fox Footy Live coverage starts at 3.00PM
Radio - 3AW and Triple M

Odds –
Western Bulldogs - $ 11.00 and Hawthorn - $ 1.05
(If we cause an upset, they’re great odds to get onto)

FORM:
Western Bulldogs: LLLWL
Hawthorn: WLWWW

Last time we met -

R23 – 27th August 2011 at the MCG
Hawthorn 16.17.133 defeated Western Bulldogs 10.7.67

Previous 5 games head to head -

• R23/2011 @ MCG – Hawthorn 16.17.113 def Western Bulldogs 10.7.67
• R10/2011 @ TD – Western Bulldogs 9.8.62 lost to Hawthorn 13.13.91
• R14/2010 @ MCG – Hawthorn 12.7.79 def Western Bulldogs 11.10.76
• R03/2010 @ TD – Western Bulldogs 14.16.100 def Hawthorn 12.12.84
• R14/2009 @ MCG – Western Bulldogs 19.19.133 def Hawthorn 6.9.45

**An interesting point to note – Matthew Boyd has amassed between 36-38 disposals in four of the past 5 meetings – he’s a great option for SC/DT sides.

Observations –

Western Bulldogs
Our form hasn’t been that pleasant to stomach in recent weeks – the last three games we’ve been losing by an average of 58 points. We’ve lost the last 5 of out 6 games, surely the tide has to turn sometime, let’s hope it’s this week.

Matthew Boyd will play his 200th game and whilst the ‘motivational factor card’ shouldn’t be the reason we win a game – this week I hope they can lift and win it for our Captain.

Hawthorn
The Hawks are starting to kick into another gear and a win against us this week will have them in the Top 4 by the end of Round 16. Buddy Franklin will probably not play this week due to injury but they will find other avenues to tick their score over.

Jarryd Roughead also celebrates a milestone game his 150th

Selection Table –

Western Bulldogs –
A few in the mix to come back in – Murphy, Cooney, Williams, Hargrave

Hawthorn -
Out - Buddy Franklin due to injury
Possible inclusions - Burgoyne and Sewell.

Match-ups –

Liam Picken/Cyril Rioli

Liam just manages to do his job each week, goes about his business and is relentless - this week his likely match-up will possibly be Cyril Rioli who is a little pocket rocket. If Liam shuts him down that’s one less Hawk player to worry about.

Will Minson/Jarryd Roughead

Should be an interesting duel in the ruck between these two although Roughead coming off a 6 goal game last week will spend time in the ruck and forward line.

Ryan Griffen/ Brad Sewell
With Sewell’s possible inclusion this week in the Hawks side, perhaps he’ll line up on Griffen. It should be a good contest.

Conclusion –
As much as I’d like to see the Dogs win this game, I don’t see how the Dogs are going to score their goals. It’s a developmental year for us and we have plenty of young players who need time to learn all facets of the game.

Verdict –
It pains me to write this but Hawthorn to win by 38 points. If Buddy played the margin would’ve been much higher.

SlimPickens
12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Good preview Belle, thanks for that.

Glad you went with Slim getting Rioli, think Cyril is susceptible to a poor performance with heavy attention and hopefully Slim will be forthcoming.

Who do you see taking Roughead (Haw) as a defensive option? Lake or Marko?

Scraggers
12-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Great preview BB ... A tough job to be positive in what looms as a spanking.

I hope we give Boyd something to celebrate ... But I can't see it ... Hawks by 63 points.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
An interesting game this one as I think we played OK last week against Freo. I don't know why but I think we can cause a massive upset this week as I'm not sure the hawks will function as well wit out Buddy, it is set for Lake to just tear it apart. From previous form we have had close tough games before we pull away, let's hope this is true to form this week.

The match up for mine will be Boyd vrs Mitchell. I think they will again play. Head to head and if Boyd can be damaging by foot it willbe a long way to getting us up and going.

Eastdog
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Good preview BulldogBelle. This is going to be a tough match against Hawthorn who are looking very good and will probably finish in the top 4. Lets hope we can bring some competitiveness and put up a good showing against a very good team in our captain's Matthew Boyd 200th game. Buddy being out for Hawthorn is a very small help for us but it will still be tough with or without him.

jeemak
12-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks BulldogBelle.

Match-ups are pretty well spot on, though we might see Roughead playing forward this week to expose us in light of Franklin being out.

Shut down some of their defensive run and stifle their ball use in the same area and we will make a fist of it. Especially if we draw level in their midfield.

Greystache
12-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Good work BB,

Hoping for a close contest but not expecting to see it. Hawthorn belted us twice last year and it's hard to see that form reversing.

BulldogBelle
12-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

It was difficult trying to extract positives leading into this game - the main one I can draw is that our kids are getting games pumped into them which will benefit them in the long run.

As they say...there is no gain without pain.

jeemak
12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

It was difficult trying to extract positives leading into this game - the main one I can draw is that our kids are getting games pumped into them which will benefit them in the long run.

As they say...there is no gain without pain.

I'm feeling the same way!

How do we all see us reducing Hawthorn's control of the ball once we inevitably turn the thing over after bombing to our developing forward talls? Do you think our midfield and foward six have the ability to shut them down?

Go_Dogs
12-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the preview BB. Wonder if a couple of our taller forward options might be a chance to snare a few big grabs this week against a backline not filled with quality key defenders? Hopefully a few positives to come out of it, but will be expecting the Hawks to win by a lot.

bornadog
13-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Great preview BB, very hard to write these when you feel we don't have a chance. I guess what we all want is a competitive effort and not to be blown away.

I am looking forward to watching Liam on Cyril. Cyril is an exciting player when he gets the ball and as you say, Liam is relentless. Would like to have seen Buddy play as he really is a super star and great to watch.

I hope we don't play Williams in the forward line as he just isn't a natural footballer let alone a natural forward. I remember Rocket stuck him at FF in a couple of games and he was totally lost.

Cyberdoggie
13-07-2012, 02:00 PM
The Hawks have taken over from us as the flat track bullies.

I'd expect them to give us a real pantsing.

70 plus for me. :(

Ghost Dog
13-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Great preview BB, very hard to write these when you feel we don't have a chance. I guess what we all want is a competitive effort and not to be blown away.

I am looking forward to watching Liam on Cyril. Cyril is an exciting player when he gets the ball and as you say, Liam is relentless. Would like to have seen Buddy play as he really is a super star and great to watch.

I hope we don't play Williams in the forward line as he just isn't a natural footballer let alone a natural forward. I remember Rocket stuck him at FF in a couple of games and he was totally lost.

From what I read, Williams forward is a strategy to manage his recovery. I really don't know what to say in that regard.
Thanks for the write up Belle. Enjoyed reading it.

bornadog
13-07-2012, 02:21 PM
From what I read, Williams forward is a strategy to manage his recovery. I really don't know what to say in that regard.
Thanks for the write up Belle. Enjoyed reading it.

Yes, I heard Macca talk about looking after his shoulder etc etc. To me, he is a CHB and if he has a problem playing there due to his recovery, then he shouldn't be playing as he can't play FF, and we don't need to develop him there.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, I heard Macca talk about looking after his shoulder etc etc. To me, he is a CHB and if he has a problem playing there due to his recovery, then he shouldn't be playing as he can't play FF, and we don't need to develop him there.

Was it Peter German who said they tried him in the ruck and had their hearts in their mouths?
I think if he has problems handling the agility required in being a ruck, doesn't bode well for being a forward. But you never know. Anyway, WELCOME BACK BIG FELLA! Has a new gf now so maybe that will inspire him!

Axe Man
13-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Williams actually played forward against the Hawks in round 10 last year and snagged 2 goals. I seem to remember him playing as a 6'5 crumber though.

Axe Man
13-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Would like to have seen Buddy play as he really is a super star and great to watch.

I know being a masochist is a prerequisite for being a Bulldogs supporter but that's going too far, we're in for enough pain as it is!:(

LostDoggy
13-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I think if he has problems handling the agility required in being a ruck, doesn't bode well for being a forward.

Perhaps it wasn't agility, but the combative nature of ruck work that had them heart-in-mouth? Rucking is a pretty comprehensive way to test a shoulder that's been only recently mended. Very glad to see him back, though, wherever he plays.

And nice work, BulldogBelle! Although, the Hawks are flying, I think you have correctly identified the midfield as the area where we will see the most to get excited about. Liam Picken continues to push his case as one of the most valuable players we have, and Big Will could be effective in keeping Roughy honest in the ruck and around the ground, if he works hard enough. Griff is due for a blinder and while shutting down Sewell will be a tall order, he could be more damaging than Sewell if he gets some support from his team mates. I'm not going to to be watching the scoreboard as much as keeping an eye on the 1percenters and team things our blokes do for each other. It's an aspect of our game that is just starting to develop and, I think, will soon start to yield results closer to goal.

Cyberdoggie
13-07-2012, 04:54 PM

Surely CHF is harder on the shoulders?

You get whacked there more than anywhere else. Go up for mark and the defender smacks you across the head, the arms etc.

At least in defence all you are doing the whacking or the spoiling, so you should be prepared for it.

There is also less chance that you will be going for diving marks and landing poorly.