PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Grand Final

Dry Rot
24-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Port just had a training run yesterday - can they beat the Cats?

Topdog
24-09-2007, 08:59 AM
They can IMO. They are a very impressive unit and I really did think that the Pies were going to get up last week too. People kept saying Geelong easily but it was never going to happen.

if Port remain true to their style they can get up.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2007, 10:09 AM
My boy Nick Lower has been named as the likely inclusion for Wilson for the GF. If he plays it will be his first game this season, but it does show how highly he is regarded down there. For what it's worth, he gathered 45 possessions playing as a defensive mid in the Norwood reserves Prelim(?) final. Even though it was reserves, sounds like a very dominant performance which is pleasing.

Midway through the Port game, against everything I was brought up to stand for being a Norwood boy, the club which had a fierce rivalry with Port, I was saying that Port are good enough to win this weekend. They have so many quality finishers who use the ball well time and time again. Logan was exceptional with his ball use, I hadn't been convinced by him yet, but he was very good. They have just as much 'evenness' over every line, and perhaps, dare I say it, more talent, star power and finishing ability over every line. Geelong are going to need to play their best and hope Port don't have an awesome day, because I think it will be a very close game.

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I am unsure, most of me thinks they wont win, but after going through why I thought that, I started to think well maybe:

To me the bottom end of their team is not as strong, I see a team with Logan, and youngsters Boak, Westhoff as being exploitable in a grand final. I also would be unsure how well the backline of Thurstans, Pettigrew and Chaplain would hold up under the pressure of the big day.

Clearly they have midfield brilliance with the Lade, Brothers Burgoynes and Cornes, and the guys thats break games open in Pearce, Motlop and Rodan

And with all that said the last time Mark Williams had a team on the big stage they really came to play - and Geelong were not good Friday

So who knows? I fancy Geelong

mjp
24-09-2007, 12:50 PM
This is what I took out of the games last weekend:

1/.Geelong surely cannot play Mark Blake this week against Port. Ottens cannot ruck the game by himself, and Blake is simply having zero impact on the game - against the likes of Richards he could not break even - Lade and Brogan will destroy him. If they dont want to play King, fine - I would be very tempted to roll the dice and pinch hit with Mooney or someone whilst adding an extra runner.

2/.The inability of the Geelong taggers (Ling and Rooke) to:
a/.Keep up
b/.Get the ball

This must be a massive worry for the Cats. How exactly - if you cant keep up with Swan - are you going to go with a Burgoyne or Pearce? They need a plan B here.

3/.I am generally worried about some of the things I saw from Joel Corey and Jimmy Bartell last weekend. These two guys especially roll the dice big time at 50-50 contests...and Collingwood's poor foot skills let them get away with it (turnovers on the wings/half-forward). Are they going to play that way this week with Pearce and the Cornes brothers delivering the footy?

4/.Ablett is a genuinely good player - but, and it is a big but -if Cassissi can get hold of him, Geelongs one mid-field game breaker will be gone.

5/.Who is going to play on Motlop? Who is going to play on Ebert? Like the Dogs line-up, I see these smaller leading players in the Power forward line and wonder what the Geelong match-ups are going to be...Hunt and Scarlett will get smashed by these two (Scarlett has barely played on anyone all year, and Rocca doesn't count....and if he takes Tredrea, who does Harley play on??)

I went into the weekend expecting to favor the Cats...but if Port are able to win their share of contested footy, I think they will win and win quite comfortably.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Agreed. I was talking about Motlop with a few friends over the weekend, as I think he especially will be very difficult for the Cats to match up on.

If Port's ruck combination is given an easy run, it will make it difficult for the Cats on ballers.

Should be a ripper. Go the South Aussies!

Mantis
24-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Good post mjp,

The games of Ling, Rooke, Harley and Blake would have been a major concern for Cats fans. Ling and Rooke looked super slow and had no influence on the game. Harley was unsure of himself and doesn't seem to have a suitable match-up theis week. I would think he would have to play on Westhoff, but that match-up ways heavily in favour of Port. Blake was useless on Friday night, he was lucky that he was only matched up against Richards and Bryan who weren't much better. Different story this week against Lade and Brogan, Ottens will need help and I don't think Blake can offer it.

On Joel Corey's game, his use of the ball was horrible on Friday, kicked long to no-one in particular too many times and simply refused to hit up a leading target. If Geelong don't hit targets this week the pace of Port will be a factor.

Geelong looked slow on Friday and only the efforts of a few got them over the line. They will need a much better performance across the board this week to take on a Port team brimming with confidence.

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2007, 02:51 PM
This is what I took out of the games last weekend:

1/.Geelong surely cannot play Mark Blake this week against Port. Ottens cannot ruck the game by himself, and Blake is simply having zero impact on the game - against the likes of Richards he could not break even - Lade and Brogan will destroy him. If they dont want to play King, fine - I would be very tempted to roll the dice and pinch hit with Mooney or someone whilst adding an extra runner.

2/.The inability of the Geelong taggers (Ling and Rooke) to:
a/.Keep up
b/.Get the ball

This must be a massive worry for the Cats. How exactly - if you cant keep up with Swan - are you going to go with a Burgoyne or Pearce? They need a plan B here.

3/.I am generally worried about some of the things I saw from Joel Corey and Jimmy Bartell last weekend. These two guys especially roll the dice big time at 50-50 contests...and Collingwood's poor foot skills let them get away with it (turnovers on the wings/half-forward). Are they going to play that way this week with Pearce and the Cornes brothers delivering the footy?

4/.Ablett is a genuinely good player - but, and it is a big but -if Cassissi can get hold of him, Geelongs one mid-field game breaker will be gone.

5/.Who is going to play on Motlop? Who is going to play on Ebert? Like the Dogs line-up, I see these smaller leading players in the Power forward line and wonder what the Geelong match-ups are going to be...Hunt and Scarlett will get smashed by these two (Scarlett has barely played on anyone all year, and Rocca doesn't count....and if he takes Tredrea, who does Harley play on??)

I went into the weekend expecting to favor the Cats...but if Port are able to win their share of contested footy, I think they will win and win quite comfortably.

1) I think King will play - Blake has had every opportunity and hasn't really grabbed it, Lade creates too many goals in the forward 50 at throw ins, and to have yourself exposed when Ottens is resting just seems too risky to me. I cant see them going in with 1 ruckmen after playing 2 all year. What do you think of the chances of Prismall coming into the squad? Do you see Hunt as the player going out? I figure they will need the speed of Byrnes and the potential matchbreaking abilities of N Ablett up forward.

2) Ling is not that quick, who does he normally get from Port? SBurgoyne has struggled with tags a lot of the year but didn't seem particularly worried by Rawlings on Saturday? You would think SBurgoyne would be too quick for Ling? Would Ling get K Cornes? Could Rooke match up on Chad Cornes? Rooke was very good in their first final in his defence.

3) I expect both Corey and Bartel to bounce back, both will know they weren't good and will be keen to atone. And given the scrappiness and contested nature of grand finals they should have plenty of opportunities

4) This is THE issue for Geelong - they are not that dynamic in the middle - and Port are. Can Geelongs physicality, straight ahead we win contested footy get it done? I've tended to think Cassissi is overrated - although I'm aware he is a sandgroper mjp. Ablett really impressed me Friday night by carrying Geelong in close. If a few more of there guys do there bit then he can get out and cut them up a bit more with his run

5) What do you think of Scarlett on Ebert, Harley on Tredrea and Milburn on Motlop?

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Nathan Ablett gave them nothing as well.

Mantis
24-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Nathan Ablett gave them nothing as well.

That a fair bit to do with a 'fired up' Nick Maxwell being opposed to him.

mjp
24-09-2007, 03:26 PM
3) I expect both Corey and Bartel to bounce back, both will know they weren't good and will be keen to atone. And given the scrappiness and contested nature of grand finals they should have plenty of opportunities

5) What do you think of Scarlett on Ebert, Harley on Tredrea and Milburn on Motlop?

Bartel is interesting. When I watched the replay, the commentators seemed to love his game...I dont understand.

- Harley on Tredrea I dont mind.
- Milburn is a key outlet player for Geelong, and I wouldn't want to assign him to Motlop. I would almost rather play him on Westhoff or Tredrea (previous comment aside) because they are less like to do something miraculous on the turnover.
- Scarlett I like best playing on no-one at all. If he has to play on Ebert (assuming Ebert is fit), then I see a situation similar to Scarlett vs Brad Johnson, round 1 2007 happening...nothing good can come of that match-up for Geelong. Even if he manages to blanket Ebert (which I doubt he can), it will be at the expense of providing run from defense.

As for the other stuff, I think Shaun Burgoyne can do pretty much whatever he wants too - if he wants to towel up a tagger, then he can and will. Doesn't always have his game face on though, and is a little too accepting of it 'not being his day'.

If Prismall comes in, I doubt it would be for Hunt - he might come in for Rooke though...somehow I doubt it. Brent needed an injury to a Kelly, Corey or Bartell to get a chance.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2007, 03:30 PM
If Prismall comes in, I doubt it would be for Hunt - he might come in for Rooke though...somehow I doubt it. Brent needed an injury to a Kelly, Corey or Bartell to get a chance.

Speaking of Prismall, is he someone the Bulldogs should look at trading for?

The Underdog
24-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I think the loss of Egan has been massive for the Cats. It's completely upset their backline structure. Milburn now has to take the 3rd forward and isn't as damaging. Same for Harley but with the 2nd forward. I couldn't believe that people were pencilling the cats in 2 weeks ago for a GF win. Port are a damn good team on their day and they have a bunch of guys who've been there before. Which is more than the Cats can say. If Port get on top early, I can see the Cats falling in a hole.

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Bartel is interesting. When I watched the replay, the commentators seemed to love his game...I dont understand.

- Harley on Tredrea I dont mind.
- Milburn is a key outlet player for Geelong, and I wouldn't want to assign him to Motlop. I would almost rather play him on Westhoff or Tredrea (previous comment aside) because they are less like to do something miraculous on the turnover.
- Scarlett I like best playing on no-one at all. If he has to play on Ebert (assuming Ebert is fit), then I see a situation similar to Scarlett vs Brad Johnson, round 1 2007 happening...nothing good can come of that match-up for Geelong. Even if he manages to blanket Ebert (which I doubt he can), it will be at the expense of providing run from defense.

As for the other stuff, I think Shaun Burgoyne can do pretty much whatever he wants too - if he wants to towel up a tagger, then he can and will. Doesn't always have his game face on though, and is a little too accepting of it 'not being his day'.

Scarlett clearly is happiest just sweeping up across the 50 and using his footskills to set it up. Is Ebert capable of playing at a Johnson like level in a GF? - Johnno was just incredible that day.

I thought Bartel got too much of the ball wide, was a bit slow with his decision making and really just didn't give them much drive. The commentators love him because he has a rep for being tough and courageous and Bruce loves calling him Jimmy.

Interesting thoughts on the backline, maybe they'll go with Milburn playing small on Westhoff then, but really when you look at it, does he have to take Ebert? - if you think Scarlett and Harley will struggle, and I've just assumed Josh Hunt was not quick enough.

Wojinski is the other often in that backline mix, is he a prospect for Motlop? - but maybe he also runs off too much and is inclined to lose his man.

Good call on Burgoyne - he does look like he is starting to figure out the tag though,

Probably unlikely Bomber will drop Rooke you are right. Do you think Hunts kicking out of the backline is going to be important to them?

Twodogs
24-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I just cant get interested. My only involvment will be to drop my dad off at the 'G.

It's pure and utter envy on my part. I watch the teams run out and I am fuming already-I am fairly philisophical about sport mostly and am usually happy to see others doing well, but every grand final that passes without us is just another dagger in the heart for me.

Twodogs
24-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh and BTW. A poster I know on another site who gets info from deep inside Geelong's fortress says that on saturday that Steven King was told

"He's been told not to drink or celebrate after todays VFL GF. I think he's in.

And I think we may have a shock inclusion, possibly a first gamer. Watch #18 today."

The Coon Dog
24-09-2007, 06:24 PM
And I think we may have a shock inclusion, possibly a first gamer. Watch #18 today."

Nathan Djerrkura, might need his pace against the Power.

bornadog
24-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I just cant get interested. My only involvment will be to drop my dad off at the 'G. It's pure and utter envy on my part. I watch the teams run out and I am fuming already-I am fairly philisophical about sport mostly and am usually happy to see others doing well, but every grand final that passes without us is just another dagger in the heart for me.

I couldn't agree more. I usually pick a team I would like not to win and thats about it. In this case, I think Geelong deserves to win as they have been the best team all year and I wouldn't like to see Port win.

Twodogs
24-09-2007, 06:53 PM
This year will be the first time in four or five years that I'll be in Victoria for the GF.

dog town
24-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I think Ling will bounce back. He is a little bit slow for some of the roles he plays but he has got the job done on some quick players all year so I wont hang him after one game. He has towelled guys that are quicker than him all year in fact its actually been the slower guys like Swan and West (round 1) who have really gotten hold of him.

King will come in I think as others have suggested. I know 3 or 4 of the Geelong boys and the entire list including VFL players have been told they are welcome to hold off celebrations and join in training for the week then start again after the GF.

If Port dominate the stoppages then Geelong will be in strife. The cats run forward harder than any other side in the comp ( roll the dice as MJP said) but they have been able to do it for most of the season because not only have they dominated the contested ball and stoppages but they have had a brilliant back 6. Now that they have had the balance of that back 6 upset a little and are playing a side that is equally brilliant at the stoppages I think its going to be interesting if they get caught out a bit. Ottens is vital this week.

Just my gut but I think Scarlett will play on Tredrea and try to run him around. Harley might play on Motlop or Westhoff depending on who they want Milburn on. Thompson is certainly not scared to play Harley on smaller and quicker guys. Like the pies I think the power have the small forwards to upset the cats. They can split their leads up and make it hard for the cats to work together which is really their strength.

My tip would be to get on Port while they are at $2.90 but maybe thats more hopeful than anything as I am most definetly supporting the power this week. Will be watching it from the Gold Coast on my footy trip.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Just my gut but I think Scarlett will play on Tredrea and try to run him around. Harley might play on Motlop or Westhoff depending on who they want Milburn on. Thompson is certainly not scared to play Harley on smaller and quicker guys. Like the pies I think the power have the small forwards to upset the cats. They can split their leads up and make it hard for the cats to work together which is really their strength.

Interesting DT

I hadn't even considered Harley for the Motlop role

dog town
26-09-2007, 03:16 PM
He played on Johnson twice this year and was on Rusling and Medhurst at different stages the other night.

Is there a chance they might bring in Playfair who has been going well to do the job Egan was doing? Shattered for Egan who has now been ruled out. Genuinely nice guy and to go from Oak Park to AA chb in 4 or 5 years is a fantastic effort. Deserves a flag.

Dry Rot
26-09-2007, 09:09 PM
BTW, were we the only team this year to beat both the grand finalists?

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2007, 10:06 PM
He played on Johnson twice this year and was on Rusling and Medhurst at different stages the other night.

Is there a chance they might bring in Playfair who has been going well to do the job Egan was doing? Shattered for Egan who has now been ruled out. Genuinely nice guy and to go from Oak Park to AA chb in 4 or 5 years is a fantastic effort. Deserves a flag.

Rusling and Medhurst aren't anywhere near as dangerous on the ground as Motlop though, but you could well be right

I see Playfair as no chance - I dont think they will look to add a tall to their structure, just cant see it

Doggies
26-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Geelong by 16 points with Steve Johnson Norm Smith Medallist.
Bookmark it

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2007, 10:08 PM
BTW, were we the only team this year to beat both the grand finalists?

Shows something doesn't it, I am under no illusion about how badly we played at the end of the year - but steadfastly believe it can be turned around with a grueling summer of work. Most of our team is still on the up and our middle group will be better for the experience and being injury free (Murphy and Hahn).

Twodogs
28-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm getting stronger and stronger about Port.

Watching the two coaches last night on TFS Williams was relexad and looking forward to it. Thompson looked like he'd last slept a week or so ago and even my mum picked up on the fact he looked like he could hardly wait for it to be over.

Also I've driven through Geelong twice since yesterday and the place is completely off tap. Signs everywhere, flags on cars-Im so jealous!

Go_Dogs
28-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Williams is the best coach going around atm, imo.

Twodogs
28-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Williams is the best coach going around atm, imo.

During the grand final presser just now he heard one of the dictaphones in front of him click. He picked it up, turned the tape over, pressed record, put it back in front of him and then gave the journos a thumbs up. He continuinly baited Thompson who would only say "Im not going to take the bait". Port are either going to win or theyre just over here for the party and will lose by twenty goals.

I think they'll win and I'm off to the TAB.

Mantis
28-09-2007, 03:10 PM
After thinking long and hard about it I've come to the following conclusion. I am taking the selfish approach in thinking that if we have to wait 53 years + to see our side win one then every other long suffering fan (Geelong, Melbourne, St.Kilda) can bloody well wait too..

GO PORT...

Twodogs
28-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Steve Johnson was arrested for D&D and assault last night SEN have said.

The Coon Dog
28-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Steve Johnson was arrested for D&D and assault last night SEN have said.
Wasn't it David Johnson?

So many bloody Johnson's in the AFL these days.

bornadog
28-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Wasn't it David Johnson?

yes David

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Match-ups will be the key: Eade
9:47 AM Thu 27 September, 2007 | Back

By Rodney Eade,

Geelong: Has a very even side, with not many weaknesses, strong midfield and defence. Steve Johnson’s improved fitness and consistency is the added dimension to their forward line. They play a very good contested brand of football especially at stoppages and in the midfield. Ling, Bartel, Corey, Gary Ablett and Selwood are all very good in this area and then have the nous and ability to spread very quickly from a contested situation.

They will handball backwards first from most situations then players spread quickly into space to receive the ball. This is their normal mode of not only getting out of trouble but also setting up attacks. This actually got them into trouble against Collingwood as the Pies exerted great pressure on the “release” player – causing many turnovers.

The Cats have great foot skills and generally like to move the ball quickly. They will hit-up leading players through the middle and at half-forward, then have many options running past for the handball. Under pressure they will go long towards the goal square expecting a contest from either Mooney or Nathan Ablett.

Their defence is their greatest strength and usually they do not require extra numbers for support .Their midfielders, though, especially Bartel, Corey and Chapman, will push into defence to assist their mates.

Port Adelaide: The Power play a different game and at times will fluctuate between styles depending on the situation. Like Geelong, they are very good at stoppages and rely heavily on this strength to generate their run. Their main focus is to get numbers behind the ball, especially in the back 50.Their midfielders will push back as do the wingers with the half forwards playing up the ground. This assists in generating a great deal of run from defence. They love to share the ball by hand and foot as they swarm forward. They deliver to a fast-leading, dangerous forward line whose members can all kick multiple goals. Port’s biggest weapon is its talent and structure around stoppages led by Lade. He is a master of palming the ball and usually gives his teammates first access to the ball. They will at times slow the game down and move the ball methodically forward. This will happen if the opposition flood or by the Power playing numbers up the ground and they have no-one to kick to. Also, late in quarters they will play keepings-off to run down the clock.

Dangers to –

Geelong: The obvious danger to the Cats is Port’s stars in the centre square and at stoppages. Lade, the Cornes brothers, Shaun Burgoyne and Pearce have a great understanding, so the Cats must at least break even. This is also a strength of Geelongm but the Cats do not rely on it as much as Port. The run out of defence by Port especially Peter Burgoyne, must be checked. Pressure is paramount. Stokes and Byrnes will probably share duty on tagging Burgoyne. With Port’s ability to run and hit targets the biggest dangers to the Cats are Motlop and Ebert. Both are quick on the lead and are good marks. If stopped, the Cats will win.

Port Adelaide: The main focus of Port is the evenness of Geelong. They are a good running side but have good body size. Although they have all-round evenness, they have a couple of stars who can win the game off their own boots. These players must be stopped – Gary Ablett, Johnson, Chapman and to a lesser degree Mooney. Bartel, Corey, Ling and Selwood will still win the ball but if Port can stop the former quartet, Geelong’s goals will dry up. Geelong’s defence is a real strength. If Port moves the ball slowly or under real pressure then the Cats defence will dominate, rebound and set-up forward thrusts. The Power must then take some risks (as they do normally), play on quickly, change direction and get the ball to their forwards as quickly as possible.

Key Match-Ups – Dilemmas

The biggest problem for both coaches will be who to tag and who to let run free – especially in the midfield. Does Ling go to Shaun Burgoyne or Chad Cornes? Does Kane Cornes go to Gary Ablett or Jimmy Bartel? Who to run with Pearce? Who plays on Motlop, Ebert, Steve Johnson? There will be starting match-ups with contingencies if someone gets out of the loop.

Port having four taller defenders (Wakelin, Pettigrew, Thurstans and Chaplin) allows the Cats to play an extra small forward – Stokes or Byrnes, or both at the same time – to accentuate the pace and agility difference. Pettigrew will probably play on Johnson, Thurstans on Mooney, Wakelin on Nathan Ablett. This will give Chaplin the task on Stokes, Byrnes or Kelly. One of these will tag Peter Burgoyne.

At the other end the dilemma for Geelong will be to play on Westhoff. Strange, you say. Harley or Scarlett are the obvious match-ups but both will be needed on more dangerous players – Scarlett for Motlop and Harley for Tredeea. This leaves either Milburn or Rooke. Both are under-sized but have bigger bodies and more experience. The out-of-form Hunt will probably be assigned Brett Ebert – a big job. Port’s half forwards, Rodan and Pearce, will push up the ground. Enright and Mackie are great match-ups who could be dangerous if allowed to run.

In the midfield Ling will sit on Shaun Burgoyne and Kane Cornes must stop Gary Ablett. Corey will probably be asked to be accountable for Chad Cornes; Cassisi will be responsible for Bartel. And one match-up that will have a huge effect on the result is Ottens against Lade.

Result

In what should be an enthralling contest, the Cats have the talent to negate the Power’s X-Factor players. They have more depth in the midfield and enough flexibility in their attack to capitalise on the inexperience in Port’s defence. Geelong’s pressure has been good all year and this coupled with its evenness will get it over the line.

Geelong by 21 points

Norm Smith Medal: Corey Enright

Twodogs
28-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Wasn't it David Johnson?

Errrr. Yes it was. So as it wasnt Brad.:o

Raw Toast
28-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I've got a feeling that Peter Burgoyne will be a big key to this match. He kept Port in it against West Coast with his run from defence and was a bit unlucky for mine not to win the Norm Smith in 04. Media reports suggest he's set himself up for a big one.

The Cats really struggled when Marty Clarke was set back onto Stokes who gave him way to much time and space, and Byrnes did little to quell him. Wouldn't be greatly surprised to see Varcoe come in for Byrnes who didn't have the offensive game Stokes had and tends to get pretty tentative under pressure.

I think the Pies did well in getting Ling out of stoppages for much of the game. I reckon he likes to base his game on beating his opponent at stoppages and the Pies made him look very uncomfortable (he looked super nervous as well). In a way Port present him with fewer difficulties because they need Shaun Burgoyne to spend a fair bit of time on the ball. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a hff at the start if Ling moves onto him though. If I were the cats I'd I'd think about moving Ling onto Kane Cornes and maybe even Chad when he's in the middle.

I reckon that while Chad has the potential to break the game open he can also be a weak link in big games by getting a bit tight and trying for too much. Interesting that Harley started so poorly last week - not a good sign for a captain to be fumbling marks early in defence but maybe he'll have got that out of his system.

I'm going for the cats but not with great confidence - I'm not ready for a bloody port dynasty.

bornadog
28-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Bold prediction, Geelong will murder Port, they have been the best team all year, finished well ahead of every one on the ladder and rarely teams that are that dominant loose the GF. Port, I still don't know how they got to second on the ladder let alone the GF, we fixed them up when we didn't even have our best team in, they have surprised every one.

Geelong have the best defence in the league and can also kick some big scores, so 40points plus for me.

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm starting to think we werent that bad against Geelong in R17.

The Coon Dog
29-09-2007, 04:56 PM

How good were we in round 1?

The Coon Dog
29-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Great to see the Geelong players acknowledge the children who presented them with their medals. It was in stark contrast to the efforts displayed last year.

Also thumbs up to Mark Williams. Obviously he would have been bitterly disappointed but still found the time to personally congratulate each Geelong player.

LostDoggy
29-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Great to see the Geelong players acknowledge the children who presented them with their medals. It was in stark contrast to the efforts displayed last year.

Also thumbs up to Mark Williams. Obviously he would have been bitterly disappointed but still found the time to personally congratulate each Geelong player.

Every single year I watch closely to see how the players treat the kids, last year I was absolutely disgusted, this year the Cats were fantastic. I do the same for the National Anthem, for some reason seeing players with their hands on their hips frustrates me a lot.

I like Mark Williams, he stirs things up a bit, but he was very gracious in defeat.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Every single year I watch closely to see how the players treat the kids, last year I was absolutely disgusted, this year the Cats were fantastic. I do the same for the Grand Final, for some reason seeing players with their hands on their hips frustrates me a lot.

I like Mark Williams, he stirs things up a bit, but he was very gracious in defeat.
Was a great decision by the PR dept. I was watching it closely, it ran very smoothly making sure the cute PR lady was handing caps to players on their way up and telling them what to do. They earn't their money, i'm sure the media will pick up on it.

The Underdog
01-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I have to say that even though it was a rout, i thoroughly enjoyed the GF. Geelong played about as complete a game as football as you could. Didn't stop until there was about 5 minutes to go. Even when they were 100 points up they were chasing and tackling like the game was still alive. I was fairly ambivalent about who would win and didn't much care until the game started but with the way they played I was on the Cats bandwagon pretty early. You could say Port didn't provide much competition but they weren't allowed to by a team that was 100% switched on.

Other observations and good players:
-Max Rooke is a player I never particularly rated but his physicality in the 1st half was fantastic. Hard at the ball and the man, didn't go over the top. Tackle on Thurstans was a beauty. Fell away in the 2nd half but by then the damage was done.
-In the style of Gary Ablett Sr, Steve Johnston may not be that together off the field but on it he has the capability for genius. He's a joy to watch when he's on (except against us)
-Geelong's ability to get a possession out of a contested situation was brilliant. They kept the ball moving and used it well.
-How did McBurney and McInerney get GF gigs? 2 of my least favourite, over-officiating umpires.
-Look for Steven King to go to a bottom club and quietly disappear after 1 or 2 seasons without contributing much, now that he's got some trade value again.
-My highlight of the day was Jake King's speech after winning the GF Sprint. Maybe rookies don't get PR training :D

Go_Dogs
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
What did Jake King say? I missed that.

Dry Rot
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Anyone else get a bad sense of deja vu watching the Port forwards?

The Underdog
02-10-2007, 07:21 PM
What did Jake King say? I missed that.

Said he had put his money on Krak (Nathan Krakouer), cos he thought he'd shit it in:D