PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Achors - Round 16

GVGjr
15-07-2012, 01:07 PM
This is the round 16 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Hawthorn is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

F'scary
15-07-2012, 06:40 PM
B's: 1. Smith, 2. Williams as a forward, 3. one other from the usual suspects (Wallis, Libba, Dalhaus, Minson).

A's: 1. the longer the season's gone, the worse Cordy has looked; 2. Howard - will be lucky to avoid delisting, 3. just about everyone not mentioned so far.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Bankers
Boyd- 4 quarter effort as usual.
Cross- same as Boyd

Anchors
- our system (or lack thereof) of ball movement, especially into our 50.
- Howard's performance was pathetic in every aspect
- our set up at stoppages

Rance Fan
15-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Bankers
Boyd - Top effort
Cross - never gave in!
Higgins - 3 goals
Murphy/Lake - reasonable down back

Anchors
Sherman - poor
Cordy - very poor
Markovic - terrible
Howard - awful

westdog54
15-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Bankers

Boyd - Tried his guts out despite a couple of early blues.
Smith - Liking his workrate and makes pretty good decisions.
Lake - Lone hand in defence

Higgins, Cross and Williams get honourable mentions

Anchors

Howard - Was an absolute liability today. A giant leap backwards for him today.
Markovic - Another who's going backwards. zero impact.
Sherman - How he gets run down by a ruckman when he's running forward is beyond me. Arrogance combined with ineptitude.

Cordy was next in line.

G-Mo77
15-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Bankers
Boyd. As always works his arse off.
Lake down back was really good.
Williams up forward looked pretty good.

Anchors
Sherman. I try and give credit where it's due but nothing today warranted credit.
Howie, terrible.
Umpires, mainly in the first half. They were disgusting.

Greystache
15-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Bankers

Higgins- Moved much better today, kicked half our score, and used the ball well.

Williams- Showed quite a bit up forward, presented well and worked hard.

Lake- Prevented the margin blowing out even more.

Anchors

Howard- Just isn't an AFL footballer

Cordy- Just doesn't present, stands stationary behind his opponent calling for it long.

Sherman- Is going backwards quickly

Plenty more out of today too.

always right
15-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Bankers
Williams....shame the ball hardly went near him in th second half. How good was it seeing a lively centre half forward causing some mayhem?

Cross...give him credit. His disposal appears to have become so more positive.

Higgins....turned back the clock today to a time when he looked like he was going to be anything.

Anchors
Howard....I shuddered whenever he went near the ball.

Cordy....for Christ sake.....lead towards the bloke with ball

Sherman....was he even playing in the first half?

Bumper Bulldogs
15-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Bankers, Picken, Minson, Boyd, Williams & Wallis

Anchors, BMac, King, Grant, Sherman and Howard

The coaching staff need to take account of our side at the moment and step aside if the task at hand is beyond hat they Havel offer. Do the team thing!

Ghost Dog
15-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Bankers, Picken, Minson, Boyd, Williams & Wallis

Anchors, BMac, King, Grant, Sherman and Howard

The coaching staff need to take account of our side at the moment and step aside if the task at hand is beyond hat they Havel offer. Do the team thing!

What did you think of the team, on paper today? I thought it looked pretty strong. I'm not too sure what else the coach could have done? There was enough talent on the field at least.....

firstdogonthemoon
15-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Bankers were Higgins and Lake and sort of Murph and Williams and... GILBEE! wooo

ok he wasn't great but gee it is nice to have him back if only it was 2008

And Anchors Howard and Sherman and Etihad Stadium who continue to shut the captains bar at half time

jeemak
16-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Bankers:

Higgins - Finished well with limited opportunities. We need depth to stop him from being put behind the ball, because without Gia we don't have another forward option likely to score a goal

Lake - Even though he isn't at his best, he's still doing all he can to stop the tide of horseshit that comes his way all game

Murphy - See Lake. Without any system through the middle of the ground he has nothing to kick to, but still tried to work the ball out of the pressure situations (needs to kick up a bit more, he put a lot of players under pressure today)

Anchors:

Midfield/on-ballers - Just a pitiful effort in trying to draw even around the ground, and allowed individual opponents to have a greater affect on the ground than they had

Leaders - Don't really know who's taking charge on the ground at the moment and doing the things in the coaching staff can't communicate in the heat of battle

Umpiring - Didn't affect the end result of the game, though it just amazes me how terrible the umpiring can be on a Sunday afternoon in comparison to every other game across the entire round. Make these guys professional, and get them accountable immediately. The money is there, and the AFL needs to get its priorities right very quickly. There's not one person I talk to who has a reasonable understanding of the game that doesn't agree the umpiring and the interpretaions they have to work with are misguided, at best

Remi Moses
16-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Bankers- Boyd ( nearly Bog in a hiding says something)
Murphy( he was good)
Dickson ( very good early)
Higgins ( thought he was very good)

Anchors- young Ayce ( he doesn't know when to present .) mind you Lockett wouldn't get a kick in our F50!!
Sherman( woeful)
Howard( see above) gone into bat for this bloke but he was petrified!!

Ozza
16-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Bankers:

Higgins - good ball use/finishing.
Lake - saved a portion of the embarrassment.
Williams - looked good before running out of condition.
Boyd - for persistence and the right attitude.
Hawthorn supporter - for ensuring someone was at the game.

Anchors:

Howard - is miles off having the mindset to play AFL.
Sherman - useless.
Cordy - had a shocker....
Minson - wasn't able to influence the game.

SlimPickens
16-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Bankers

Higgins- was lively up forward and his set shots were very good.

Picken- another very good shut down role on the most overhyped player in the comp.

Lake- TGFBL

Williams- was sceptical but would continue wih him across half forward.

Anchors-

Forward entries again- dumb football

Cordy- I know you're tall but seriously if you're going to stand in the goal square with your hand in the air bloody get in front!!!

Howard- so very poor.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-07-2012, 10:21 AM
What did you think of the team, on paper today? I thought it looked pretty strong. I'm not too sure what else the coach could have done? There was enough talent on the field at least.....

I was pretty happy until 1/2 time and thoughtbthat we just made a few mistakes that let them get over the top of us.

What I can't understand is why leave Wallis on Mitchell, move Higgins into the back line

I just can't understand why a side can play ok the first 6 weeks of a season then no good after that, I don't see any of the so called game plan working or helping our side, i'm hoping I wrong but it looks as if the coaching team has lost the palyers, we are a better side than the rubbish we are dishing up at the moment.

Mantis
16-07-2012, 10:33 AM

How could you be happy with that team?

On paper our forwardline didn't look capable of kicking more than 8 goals... and our backline was either full of old guys (Murf, Gilbee, Hargrave, Lake) or battlers.

We would be in the bottom 1 or 2 in the comp for teams on paper.

LostDoggy
16-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I'd suggest the reason we fell away had to do with Hawthorn's superior skill in the midfield and at stoppages. They have seasoned, hardened and very skilful players who can get the ball out and others who spread so very quickly. It also helps that they can kick the ball long distances to perfection. Their forwards all know their role and are disciplined in where they go.

Some of our players seem to drop off when sides start to get on top of them. It doesn't take much for us to then lose our structures. For the younger ones, patience is required while we get games into the lads who we deem to be learning a bit each week. For some of the older ones, it's time to appraise who we keep and who we don't. The bottom line has to be - are they consistently sticking to our plan and structures? If Macca says some were wandering around aimlessly, what on earth were they doing? I'd be interested in who he was talking about here.

Dickson is good - finds space and contests well, but can't be expected to be the CHF or main man. He also needs to play in front and not try to edge a taller opponent under the ball from behind. (unless the instruction is for him to be goal side so he can run onto a long ball)

Sherman. Is there any discipline in where he runs to? Not sure what role he is supposed to be playing. Of all the players who should be impacting with his kicks and speed, he has been the most disappointing.

DJ. Attacks the player and keeps chasing. Better than last week. Has pace and I can see improvements in his game. But still doesn't get it enough and sometimes can be seen spectating. Not sure he knows where to run or position himself most effectively or how to time when to go. Timing and positioning are everything in his role and it's something I think he can get better at. But he loses opportunities by sometimes not judging this at all well.

Howard - a rabbit in the headlights. Needs a spell to regain confidence.

Tutt. Not there yet, but we need to get games into him.

Dahlhouse needs a week's rest.

Ozza
16-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Disappointing that Tutt was the sub again. Would have liked to have seen him get a good hit out.

bornadog
16-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Bankers

* Lake and Murphy- held the backline together

* Boyd - Tried his guts out for the club

* Libba, Wallis, Dahl - some shining light

Anchors

Serious doubts on the coaching panel and what they are trying to achieve.

* The forward experiment - not working

* Players beaten in their position and not moved - Howard on Lewis, the mismatch of the century.

* The continual bang on the foot to no one.