PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 17 vs Carlton

GVGjr
15-07-2012, 01:11 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against Carlton next Saturday night at Etihad?
As always a brief explanation for your changes would be good.

G-Mo77
15-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Well I'll get in early. Hopefully Judd out.

chef
15-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Well I'll get in early. Hopefully Judd out.

And Jamison.

LostDoggy
15-07-2012, 04:05 PM
And Walker?

GVGjr
15-07-2012, 04:23 PM
In's and outs for us please after the game

The Pie Man
15-07-2012, 06:53 PM
In : Ves, Austin, Jones, Grant, Wood

Out: Howard, Markovic, Cordy, DJ, Sherman

Rance Fan
15-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Out
Howard,Markovic,Sherman,Cordy,Gilbee

In
Anyone else

GVGjr
15-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Out
Howard,Markovic,Sherman,Cordy,Gilbee

In
Anyone else

Come on, we need to be a bit better than that.

Hotdog60
15-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Out Cordy, Howard.

In Panos, Veszpremi

I still think we need a forward that will lead at the on ballers. Also can kick a goal.

G-Mo77
15-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Out
Sherman (And stay out!), Cordy, Marko, Howard.

Injury concerns with Gilbee, Shaggy and Libba all went off the ground with injuries during stages of the game.

Ins
Jones, Wood, JJ, Austin

Would love to get Grant in there as well.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Based on today's effort I would flick Howard and give his spot to Tutt

Cordy out and as there's have stated bring in Panos

Gilbee and Shaggy out with injury and bing in Wood and Austin (Austin on match ups as I think the Blues will want to play tall against us.

Still an find room or Cooney unless he is fit (What ever is going to be his fit percentage from now on)

Greystache
15-07-2012, 08:01 PM
In- Jones, Roberts, JJ, Vez

Out- Cordy, Markovic, Sherman, Howard

Jones is the only genuine key forward on our list and we have to persist with him, Cordy has been given plenty of opportunity but just isn't providing an option for us up forward. Markovic looks to have done a hamstring and a weak Carlton forward line is a good chance to give Roberts a taste. Sherman is going backwards as a player and Howard isn't up to it.

Remi Moses
15-07-2012, 08:27 PM
In- Jones, Roberts, JJ, Vez

Out- Cordy, Markovic, Sherman, Howard

Jones is the only genuine key forward on our list and we have to persist with him, Cordy has been given plenty of opportunity but just isn't providing an option for us up forward. Markovic looks to have done a hamstring and a weak Carlton forward line is a good chance to give Roberts a taste. Sherman is going backwards as a player and Howard isn't up to it.

Agree, can't defend Howard on that effort he has to be better than that!!Sherman is awful in an ordinary side. I'd nearly have DJ out as well, he's in between AfL VFL player.If it's not Jones I hope Panos gets a gig

The Bulldogs Bite
15-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Howard and Cordy would be my two definite outs.

DJ not far behind.

Panos, Wood and JJ as the inclusions for mine.

always right
15-07-2012, 08:50 PM
In:

Jones, Grant, Wood, Austin

Out:

Cordy, Howard, Sherman, Marko

Play Williams and Jones as the key forwards.

Maddog37
15-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I want Wood, Jones and Grant all to play forward.

FrediKanoute
15-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I think ins and outs are like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. No matter where you put them or which colours you have the ship still goes down!

Bumper Bulldogs
15-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I want Wood, Jones and Grant all to play forward.

I think we need Wood's run out of th backline next week.

always right
15-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I think ins and outs are like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. No matter where you put them or which colours you have the ship still goes down!

So no changes from your point of view?

GVGjr
15-07-2012, 09:19 PM
We have to fix the forward line and I'd rather we stick with Jones at the moment.

In - Jones, Grant, Veszpremi and Austin
Out - Cordy, Markovic, Howard and Gilbee

Bulldog4life
15-07-2012, 09:30 PM
In - Jones, Grant, Veszpremi and Roberts

I'd like to see young Roberts get a game but not sure it will happen. Would leave DJ in. Thought he did ok.

jazzadogs
15-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Gilbee out for Veszpremi - don't see what Lindsay is adding to our side, that a younger player could not add. While we need experience in the team, I would prefer to give Vez more of a shot.

Cordy out for Panos - basically played Cordy at full-forward all game, and he didn't do enough. If Jones, Rough have to spend time in the VFL then so does he. Would like to see Panos get a chance.

Sherman out for JJ - Sherman was hopeless. JJ is reportedly quick, and deserves a crack over someone like Sherman.

Markovic out for Roberts - I believe Marko picked up an injury? Roberts seems to be having a good patch in the VFL, let him have a crack.

Howard out for Wood - Howard disappointed me oh so much today. Was Wood injured? Let him back in.

In conclusion:
INS: Vez, Panos, JJ, Roberts, Wood
OUTS: Gilbee, Cordy, Sherman, Markovic, Howard

Would love to get Liam Jones in as well, but I think the trial of Williams down forward is worth persisting with.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-07-2012, 09:58 PM
In : Ves, Austin, Jones, Grant, Wood

Out: Howard, Markovic, Cordy, DJ, Sherman

I agree on your outs but suggest you could have added Gilbee and Hargrave as well. That makes us 7 players short of being anywhere near competitive enough. Williams looked like a breath of fresh air on the forward line which doesn't say much for Cordy, Jones and Roughead who have been abject failures up forward. This is our weakest team for as long as I can remember.

westbulldog
15-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Out Sherman Howard Markovic Cordy Glbee
In Austin Wood Panos Grant Johannisen

Eastdog
15-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Panos, Jones, Grant Forward line. What do people think of that one?

azabob
15-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Austin and Wood missed with injury, are we sure they are ready to come back in?

Gia said he is ready to come back, so he most likely will come back.

My changes would be -

IN: Vez, JJ, Jones, Fletcher, Grant

OUT: Marko, Cordy, Sherman, Howard, DJ

Dog54
15-07-2012, 10:13 PM
In

Jones Grant Austin

Out

Howard this guy may have skill but is not hard enough or smart enough at the moment

Sherman he should go to mount hothead and he is going down hill very quickly

Cordy

Ghost Dog
15-07-2012, 10:15 PM
What's mount hothead?

LostDoggy
15-07-2012, 10:34 PM
In - Gia, Cooney, Grant, Jones, Austin

Out - Sherman, Howard, Cordy, Markovic, Gilbee,

Gia has said he is right to go this week. At least he can win a contest every now and then. Jones must play, with Williams down there might help him.

Give up on the sitting a ruckmen in the goal square. Go in with Dickson, Grant, Jones, Higgins, Williams as leading options, have Gia/Cooney in the goal square.

Time to take the game on Macca, lower the eyes hit up some targets. Quick ball movement.

If we don't change it up this week and keep playing the garbage we have served up the last few weeks we will get less and less supporters to the ground. Seriously today was torture.

SlimPickens
15-07-2012, 10:38 PM
We have to fix the forward line and I'd rather we stick with Jones at the moment.

In - Jones, Grant, Veszpremi and Austin

Pretty much agree with these changes.

Jones has to play, we need him across half forward. Cordy is not offering much up forward so he goes out.

bulldogsman
15-07-2012, 10:40 PM
In - Jones, Roberts, Cooney (if fit otherwise Grant), Wood (if fit otherwise Vez, JJ)
Out - Cordy, Markovic, Howard, Gilbee

Jones needs to stay in all year, he is our best forward prospect.
I'd like to see Roberts given a game and would like to see him tested on Henderson.
Lake can go to the resting ruck, expect Warnock to be an in this week.

DragzLS1
16-07-2012, 12:31 AM
In jones and Austin

Out Markovic (injured) cordy

Williams and jones up forward could work out well

EasternWest
16-07-2012, 12:36 AM
What's mount hothead?

I'm gonna take a guess and say that's Mt Hotham with an autocorrect. The suggestion is he'd a downhill skier.

FrediKanoute
16-07-2012, 12:46 AM
So no changes from your point of view?

No, I'd make changes, but I just don' expect things to change significantly.

I would bring in Panos at a minimum. Play him along side Cordy - one leads one plays from the square. Maybe Roberts....maybe Grant....maybe Roughhrad...

comrade
16-07-2012, 12:20 PM
We've already said that Cooney and Gia, two of our young, up and coming stars, will probably return next week.

LostDoggy
16-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I get the feeling that Cordy must be instructed to play in the square and not move from there. Its the only logical reason I can see why he is not leading out towards the ball carrier.
Anyway, I agree with most of the posters about who should be left out.
We are taking far too long to move the ball forward and its probably because of our dysfunctional forward line. I think that if we are looking for some outside speed we need to place young Pearce on the wing, his foot skills appear to be ok & he may be the one we can develop into a line breaker.
We also need to at least try a multi-pronged forward line, so I would like to see Panos or Grant come in to play a lead up role & leave Roughead or Cordy to play from the square. Williams looked ok at CHF so I would try that again.
Carlton look like they will be down on key defenders if Jamison is out, so we may actually be able to stretch them.
Our defence needs Wood back to provide some other run to assist Murph.
Austin & Lake should be able to cover Carltons marking targets.
I will probably be howled down, but I reckon after last week we will be getting Carlton at the right time & could beat them.
Injuries & suspension may actually give us a chance.
But, on the flip side, if yesterdays effort doesnt spark our guys into action, I fear for the not only the rest of the year, but next year also.

Dry Rot
16-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Aside from the guys who may have their cards marked (Moles?), I'd like to see a number of the guys at Willi be given say 3 games in a row (across our remaining games) to help make a call on who stays eg Vez, Panos and even Hill.

We don't look like we are going to win another game so I'd like to see the rest season as a bit of a trial to help sharpen up the list for next year.

soupman
16-07-2012, 09:20 PM
No, I'd make changes, but I just don' expect things to change significantly.

I would bring in Panos at a minimum. Play him along side Cordy - one leads one plays from the square. Maybe Roberts....maybe Grant....maybe Roughhrad...

Panos isn't a high possesion getter, so this would be similiar to the Cordy and Roughead forwardline. Two slow players that aren't high possesion getters. If Panos plays I believe Cordy's spot is the one he has to take.

I would like to see Jones come into the side and Williams continue to play up forward. His first half was one of the few positives, and it was weird to see a player with pace on the lead after our lumbering forwardline of rucks this year. His delivery by foot was also exceptional (with one horrible exception) and I believe at the very least he could open up some space for Jones to work with.

My side:

FB: 10. Wood, 36. Lake, 25. Hargrave
HB: 2. Murphy, 47. Austin, 15. Tutt
C: 4. Cross, 5. Boyd, 40. Dahlhaus
HF: 7. Higgins, 12. Williams, 14. Smith
FF: 29. Dickson, 19. Jones, 1. Grant
R: 27. Minson, 16. Griffen, 21. Liberatore

Int. 3. Wallis, 8. Veszpremi, 42. Picken, 39. Johannissen
Sub to be one of JJ or Veszpremi.

I want Tutt to be given a full game. I hate players getting successive games as a sub, and I want to give him an opportunity. Williams is backup ruck for Minson. He did this against Hawthorn despite Cordy being in the side. JJ gets an opportunity to show us what we've been lacking, speed and hopefully some skill. If he debuts I expect him to be the sub, although I'd prefer him not to be.

So:
Ins: Grant, Veszpremi, Wood, Jones, Johannissen, Austin
Outs: Gilbee, Sherman, Howard, Djerrkurra, Markovic, Cordy

Almost all the inclusions have pace, or at the very least aren't slow like Cordy and Markovic. Veszpremi is probably interchangeable with Djerrkurra, who hasn't been given much of a go. I just rate Veszpremi a lot higher.

azabob
16-07-2012, 09:31 PM
So:

Almost all the inclusions have pace, or at the very least aren't slow like Cordy and Markovic. Veszpremi is probably interchangeable with Djerrkurra, who hasn't been given much of a go. I just rate Veszpremi a lot higher.

So the million dollar question is, who is your sub? you have listed a few who shouldn't be, but not who will be.

PS - Vez shouldn't be the sub either for exactly the same reasons you listed in your post for the other players.

Remi Moses
16-07-2012, 09:32 PM
In

Jones Grant Austin

Out

Howard this guy may have skill but is not hard enough or smart enough at the moment

Sherman he should go to mount hothead and he is going down hill very quickly

Cordy

Mt hothead got out sprinted by David Hale at one stage.
Gone at years end

soupman
16-07-2012, 09:34 PM
So the million dollar question is, who is your sub? you have listed a few who shouldn't be, but not who will be.

PS - Vez shouldn't be the sub either for exactly the same reasons you listed in your post for the other players.

It would have to be JJ by process of elimination. This is also what I would expect the coaches to do with the side presented.

Dancin' Douggy
16-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Mt hothead got out sprinted by David Hale at one stage.
Gone at years end

One of the worst players I've seen in the red white and blue.
Yes I mean it.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2012, 09:57 PM
One of the worst players I've seen in the red white and blue.
Yes I mean it.

Sherman was better last year before his Gold Coast gaffe.

His real problem is that he is not suited to how the coach wants him to play.
There is no place for him under McCartney, but I expect him to get a game elsewhere and be better than he looks at the moment.

Mantis
16-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Sherman was better last year before his Gold Coast gaffe.

His real problem is that he is not suited to how the coach wants him to play.
There is no place for him under McCartney, but I expect him to get a game elsewhere and be better than he looks at the moment.

Sherman is the quintessential decent player in a good team.. No surprise to me that as our season has fallen apart his form has dropped away alarmingly.

He was going pretty well when we looked ok in the first 6 or 8 games.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Out Sherman

Ins: Alby Smedts, Charlie Pagnocolo, Joe Marmo, Joe Di Natale, Ivan Rasmussen, Zeno Tzatsaris, Angelo Petraglia, Roberto Groenawagen. Oh and bring back Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer as commentator and listen to him mangulate those wonderful names!

jeemak
17-07-2012, 01:28 AM
In - Giansiracusa, Grant, Veszpremi, Cooney (if able)

Out - Markovic, Sherman, TBC (based on fitness issues)

Gia to be the sub, as I don't think his body is going to allow him to play for four quarters.

Preferably Howard will be given another week to persevere and atone for two or three poor performances over recent weeks.

I would feel sorry for Sherman if he actually looked as if he wanted to contribute. But he doesn't, and I can't. He is worth hanging on to though, as in the past he has shown while playing for us that he can contribute to the scoreboard and we are desperately lacking for players that can do that. The reality is that until we start moving the ball with some fluidity his contributions are going to be limited however, we need to appreciate that players like him are going to be required when we turn our performances around over the next couple of years. He needs an attitude adjustment though, pronto.

LostDoggy
17-07-2012, 01:48 AM
I would feel sorry for Sherman if he actually looked as if he wanted to contribute. But he doesn't, and I can't. He is worth hanging on to though, as in the past he has shown while playing for us that he can contribute to the scoreboard and we are desperately lacking for players that can do that. The reality is that until we start moving the ball with somue fluidity his contributions are going to be limited however, we need to appreciate that players like him are going to be required when we turn our performances around over the next couple of years. He needs an attitude adjustment though, pronto.

I can't feel sorry for a guy with so much talent, on his 2nd chance, delivering such horse manure on a consistent basis. Watching him absorb $450k per annum for however long we have this guy clogging our list is exacerbating my acid reflux. He's burned a high draft pick and heaps of cash for sweet aunt Lilly's you know what return. Of the depressing parts of the year he is a lowlight for mine. I've been given access to a corporate box this weekend so no Sherman please as I want to down free beer without the reflux.

In - Jones, JJ, Gia, Cooney
Out - Cordy, Howard, Marco, Sherman

Tutty - full game with three Q1 goals please!

Remi Moses
17-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Out Sherman

Ins: Alby Smedts, Charlie Pagnocolo, Joe Marmo, Joe Di Natale, Ivan Rasmussen, Zeno Tzatsaris, Angelo Petraglia, Roberto Groenawagen. Oh and bring back Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer as commentator and listen to him mangulate those wonderful names!

You forgot the Great TD
Not Terry Daniher
Terry Dekonning

Remi Moses
17-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Panos isn't a high possesion getter, so this would be similiar to the Cordy and Roughead forwardline. Two slow players that aren't high possesion getters. If Panos plays I believe Cordy's spot is the one he has to take.

I would like to see Jones come into the side and Williams continue to play up forward. His first half was one of the few positives, and it was weird to see a player with pace on the lead after our lumbering forwardline of rucks this year. His delivery by foot was also exceptional (with one horrible exception) and I believe at the very least he could open up some space for Jones to work with.

My side:

I want Tutt to be given a full game. I hate players getting successive games as a sub, and I want to give him an opportunity. Williams is backup ruck for Minson. He did this against Hawthorn despite Cordy being in the side. JJ gets an opportunity to show us what we've been lacking, speed and hopefully some skill. If he debuts I expect him to be the sub, although I'd prefer him not to be.

So:

Like That team. Just like a debut from either Panos or JJ,and give us something to get excited about

Maddog37
17-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I can't feel sorry for a guy with so much talent, on his 2nd chance, delivering such horse manure on a consistent basis. Watching him absorb $450k per annum for however long we have this guy clogging our list is exacerbating my acid reflux. He's burned a high draft pick and heaps of cash for sweet aunt Lilly's you know what return. Of the depressing parts of the year he is a lowlight for mine. I've been given access to a corporate box this weekend so no Sherman please as I want to down free beer without the reflux.

In - Jones, JJ, Gia, Cooney
Out - Cordy, Howard, Marco, Sherman

Tutty - full game with three Q1 goals please!

I have some tablets to help reflux Superdog. The price is one seat in a corporate box!:D

DragzLS1
17-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I have some tablets to help reflux Superdog. The price is one seat in a corporate box!:D

Hrmm I think I may have some reflux all of a sudden.... haha

Agree with either Panos or JJ getting a debut. Lets get some games into these guys

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2012, 02:03 PM
My side:

So:

I am not totally unhappy with the attached suggestion , however I think we need to look at the team attitude, form all accounts Grants attitude has been disappointing down at Willly so I would not want To reward poor performance and give him a game. Surly we have an issue with him at this point as he should have had a big year based on the years gone by. With that in mind I would leave Sherman in, but put him on notice as I forward who is paid to kick pals he need to deliver.

G-Mo77
17-07-2012, 04:20 PM
So from reports Gia is almost a certainty to play this week, Cooney will miss again, Marko is out with a Hammy, Wood looks unlikely.

I won't change much from my initial 4 changes on Sunday.

Out
Sherman, Cordy, Marko, Howard.

Ins
Jones, Gia, JJ, Austin

Maybe try and squeeze Roughead or Campbell in. Gilbee and Shaggy were injured during the game but played through it. One may have to make way for a Ruck.

B: Lindsay Gilbee*, Brian Lake, Robert Murphy
HB: Ryan Hargrave*, Mark Austin, Jason Tutt
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Tom L. Williams, Tory Dickson
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Liam Jones, Shaun Higgins
Foll: William Minson, Thomas Liberatore, Liam Picken
I/C: Nathan Djerrkura (SUB), Jason Johannisen, Mitchell Wallis, Clay Smith

*Roughead to come in for either player if injured.

bornadog
17-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I really think DJ is not up to it. He really contributed very little on Sunday and I would be annoyed if he didn't make way for another player.

Out: Marko, DJ, Sherman, Howard,Cordy, Gilbee

In: Gia, Austin, Grant, Panos, Pearce, JJ

G-Mo77
17-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I really think DJ is not up to it. He really contributed very little on Sunday and I would be annoyed if he didn't make way for another player.

Out: Marko, DJ, Sherman, Howard,Cordy, Gilbee

In: Gia, Austin, Grant, Panos, Pearce, JJ

I thought DJ wasn't bad in the second half. He was one of the few that kept trying when very few others did. That's why I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That being said I really want to see a 7 - 8 player turn over this week so wouldn't be upset if he missed. I'd love to get some games into Panos and Grant back in the squad. Pearce and Roberts should come into the team at some stage as well why not try them this week.

bornadog
17-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I thought DJ wasn't bad in the second half. He was one of the few that kept trying when very few others did. That's why I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That being said I really want to see a 7 - 8 player turn over this week so wouldn't be upset if he missed. I'd love to get some games into Panos and Grant back in the squad. Pearce and Roberts should come into the team at some stage as well why not try them this week.

Yes, agree on Roberts as a possible this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Can't fault DJ's efforts, but he isn't up to it. Does a lot of running/chasing, but neither is effective. Struggles to find the ball, cannot pick it up cleanly and his disposal isn't damaging. I'd rather we develop somebody else too.

Mantis
17-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Can't fault DJ's efforts, but he isn't up to it. Does a lot of running/chasing, but neither is effective. Struggles to find the ball, cannot pick it up cleanly and his disposal isn't damaging. I'd rather we develop somebody else too.

Like whom?... And I mean like type.

Personally I think we need to continue to play DJ for the remainder of the year and possibly for most of next year as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Personally I think we need to continue to play DJ for the remainder of the year and possibly for most of next year as well.

I'd prefer Grant or Veszpremi as a forward -- whilst DJ's role is to crumb, he doesn't actually do this anyway and he doesn't kick goals either.

TBH though I'd play most before DJ as I don't feel he offers us very much at all.

bornadog
17-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I'd prefer Grant or Veszpremi as a forward -- whilst DJ's role is to crumb, he doesn't actually do this anyway and he doesn't kick goals either.

TBH though I'd play most before DJ as I don't feel he offers us very much at all.

This ^^

Hey, why do I keep agreeing with you:D

DJ, just doesn't seem to be up to playing AFL standard.

Remi Moses
17-07-2012, 06:56 PM
This ^^

Hey, why do I keep agreeing with you:D

DJ, just doesn't seem to be up to playing AFL standard.

He's an inbetweener ( AfL VFL)

bornadog
17-07-2012, 06:57 PM
He's an inbetweener ( AfL VFL)

We seem to have a few:(

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2012, 08:31 PM
We seem to have a few:(

So it's a perfect time to play them and sort out who will be around next year, I think we will all be a lot more tolerable of a belting if we see guys given a go. Out will the guys who will not be part of next years plans.

AndrewP6
17-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Judd gone for 4, so at least that's one less to worry about :cool:

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Sometimes, the wheel turns and you can play a better team on equal terms.
Shut down Yarran, Garlett and a few others and we are in this

DragzLS1
18-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Sometimes, the wheel turns and you can play a better team on equal terms.
Shut down Yarran, Garlett and a few others and we are in this

Putting money on this game I honestly beleive we will win it!

If we start with the same intencity we did against the hawks Carlton wont be able to fight back with soo many outs.. Walker out, Jamison out.. Liking our chances

westdog54
18-07-2012, 02:06 PM

If we start with the same intencity we did against the hawks Carlton wont be able to fight back with soo many outs.. Walker out, Jamison out.. Liking our chances

Do you think Ratten would survive the week if we rolled them?

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2012, 02:24 PM

No chance, as we have been terrible, this may be the game that kick starts our season:D

I too have a good feeling about this game, I hope we come out and have a red hot crack and lock them off. Maybe BMac set himself for his game a couple of weeks ago.

Carn the Dogs!

Pickenitup
18-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Moles a chance?

LostDoggy
18-07-2012, 07:29 PM

In two minds whether I want us to win now.

LostDoggy
18-07-2012, 08:11 PM

I told a Carlton mate at work 3 weeks ago to thank me, he said what for?

I said coz in three weeks when we roll you lot you can finally get rid of Ratten and go after Mick,

He obviously laughed very hard at me....not sure how hard he is laughing now...

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2012, 09:25 PM
As terrible as we are right now, if there's any side we can beat, it's Carlton this week.

LostDoggy
19-07-2012, 04:41 PM

I don't believe Jamison is out, he didn't get cited for sticking the knees into Petrie on the weekend.

Rumours are that Kreuzer might not be able to play due to injury.

So they would be without Warnock (suspended) and Hampson/Kruezer (injured)

If this was the case, would you go in with 1 ruckmen (Minson), or would you try and exploit our high advantage and give Cordy another week? Or go with Roughead instead?

DragzLS1
19-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't believe Jamison is out, he didn't get cited for sticking the knees into Petrie on the weekend.

Rumours are that Kreuzer might not be able to play due to injury.

So they would be without Warnock (suspended) and Hampson/Kruezer (injured)

If this was the case, would you go in with 1 ruckmen (Minson), or would you try and exploit our high advantage and give Cordy another week? Or go with Roughead instead?

If that is the case I would go with just Minson and Cordy / Cambell

I hope your right about kruezer if he is not playing then we would definately be in with a chance.

I think ill be asking some Carlton supporters at my work to thank me aswell ;) haha

divvydan
19-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Kreuzer, Henderson and Lucas all out, joining Judd and Walker on the sidelines. They'll bring in Casboult, Russell, Bower, Thornton and Bell.

I can only assume Casboult and Thornton will share the ruck.

LostDoggy
19-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Kreuzer, Henderson and Lucas all out, joining Judd and Walker on the sidelines. They'll bring in Casboult, Russell, Bower, Thornton and Bell.

I can only assume Casboult and Thornton will share the ruck.

Two first gamers with Casboult and Bell, Carlton might be close to calling it a day on this season

Maddog37
19-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone think we will win this one?

LostDoggy
19-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Feeling pretty good looking at the comparative teams. If we get smashed I'll join the chorus of major concern about the clubs direction but I'm predicting we'll be competative and think we are a 65:35 chance of winning :)

Pickenitup
19-07-2012, 07:40 PM
We Will win this easily Big Will will dominate

Remi Moses
19-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I know you wouldn't put your house on us , but can't believe we're over 3 $ to win this!

Maddog37
19-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I never bet on footy but hat might change in a hurry if that price is around. We have a good record against them.

I will also worry if we get pumped by what looks like a VFL side. Would be nice for some of the players to get "an easy kill" as they say in racing.

Go_Dogs
19-07-2012, 08:09 PM
IN: M.Austin, D.Giansiracusa, J.Grant, D.Pearce, P.Veszpremi
OUT: R.Hargrave, J.Sherman, L.Markovic, C.Smith, T.Dickson

Markovic, Smith and Dickson injured, presume Hargrave and Sherman dropped.

Eastdog
19-07-2012, 08:11 PM

We are a good chance this week to beat Carlton as they are really struggling at the moment but we are quite bad as well and they will probably still beat us.

G-Mo77
19-07-2012, 08:29 PM

Happy to see Sherman dropped.

No Jones, No Panos, No FF. Cordy is not that player and to me it seems he's getting worse every week. I'm seething about this particular part of our lineup this week.

Dickson out is a cruel blow.

Happy to see Grant back.

As you can see, mixed feelings after the team selection. :)

LostDoggy
19-07-2012, 08:31 PM
We won't win. Still preferring Cordy over Jones.

Eastdog
19-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Good to see Gia and Grant back into the side. Would of like to see Panos in the side. Maybe in the next few weeks. Dickson being out is a blow for us as I have been very impressed with his footy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-07-2012, 08:41 PM
So Shaggy has been dropped again, twice in 3 weeks now, and yet Howard keeps his spot?
Cordy retained over Jones, very lucky.
Looking increasingly likely that Panos isn't going to be given a go.

G-Mo77
19-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Seems that way doesn't it. I wouldn't be upset if Panos was not performing in the VFL but has done everything asked from all reports. A leading forward who is a beautiful kick, it seems a shame they won't even try him. The guy who is keeping him out just stands in one spot and can't make a contest. :confused:

Eastdog
19-07-2012, 08:47 PM
So Shaggy has been dropped again, twice in 3 weeks now, and yet Howard keeps his spot?

I also would of like to see Jones back in the side. Cordy just does not look for in the forward line. What do you think going forward would Cordy's role be in the side?

The Pie Man
19-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Yep, agree and bewildering.

Was 'relieved' to see Dickson had an abductor. I would struggle to understand it if he was dropped.

The Underdog
19-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Hargrave is a funny one. I thought he might have been rested last time but it appears as though he's definitely been dropped this time around. There must be something he's not doing that the selection panel want him to (or the other way around) but it doesn't augur well for next year. Interesting as while his disposal can be random and careless he has been part of our best 22 for a while and there is no obvious replacement for his versatility with Morris out. Howard staying in is also interesting in an I don't understand that way.

bornadog
19-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I would have liked to see Panos come in as Jones needs a few more weeks at VFL level and Cordy dropped.

The Underdog
19-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Yep, agree and bewildering.

Was 'relieved' to see Dickson had an abductor. I would struggle to understand it if he was dropped.

Someone stole Dickson?

The Pie Man
19-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't mind Hargrave (being the age he is) not playing, but how does Howard keep his spot ahead of him?

If Howard ends up a decent 100 game player and he, Ves, Austin & Woid form the most part of our backline for the next 6 years, then of course I'll eat this post

The Pie Man
19-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Someone stole Dickson?

Hahaha well played (Non-intentional from me :o)

The Underdog
19-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Hahaha well played (Non-intentional from me :o)

It would justify his non-selection:)

The Underdog
19-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Oh and welcome back Pat (and wierdly Pearce who would seem to be pretty close to the same player)

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Very disappointed that Cordy hasn't been dropped in favour of Jones or Panos.

I think Roughead and Jones in particular would kill Carlton this week -- it's utterly amazing we haven't brought either one in.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I also would of like to see Jones back in the side. Cordy just does not look for in the forward line. What do you think going forward would Cordy's role be in the side?

Cordy is a funny one for me, I thought when he was drafted it was as a future mobile ruckman who could go forward. I recall that in the lead up to his draft he was lauded for his mobility and his skill level, especially below his knees. Now he has bulked up considerably since then and it looks to have had an effect on his mobility. I've yet to see anything at this early stage of his senior development that would sugest he is going to be a permanent solution at full forward.

With Jones, I thought that this week against Carlton he would present a good mobile option for us, and with his strong contested marking ability that he could stretch their defense.
Hopefully Cordy can step up this week, I really want to see him make a sustained effort at leading rather than trying to just leap up vertically from a standing start.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2012, 09:22 PM

What do we really get from these ins? I would have been happy to give a few more kids a go.

anfo27
19-07-2012, 09:25 PM

I'm with you on this chops. We all love to win but winning this late in the year against a team that is missing so many players will achieve what?

I'd rather play a good team, play well & lose then play a rabble team & win.

Looking at that Carlton side we really should win.

G-Mo77
19-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Don't stress guys, we won't win. That forward line can't kick enough goals and we don't have the defence to stop Carlton's smalls. Carlton will beat us by around 30 - 45 points.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Don't stress guys, we won't win. That forward line can't kick enough goals and we don't have the defence to stop Carlton's smalls. Carlton will beat us by around 30 - 45 points.

All my Carlton mates reckon we will get up. Battle of the pessimists?

Dancin' Douggy
19-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Think Sherman should start packing his bags?

Templeton31
19-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Shaggy gets dropped but Howard, who was abysmal last week, survives. Howard must have had more hardball gets - it doesnt matter that his clangers gave away 5 goals...

Greystache
19-07-2012, 09:47 PM

I agree with you Gmo, we'd need to keep Carlton under 8 goals to win I'd think, it's a chance but it's hard to see it happening.

LostDoggy
19-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Looking at the team wouldn't be surprised to see Skinner come in for Cordy as a late change. Personally I'm happy Howard gets a chance to atone for what he served up last week. Really like to see both Hill and Panos get a run before the seasons dusted.

Eastdog
19-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Looking at the team wouldn't be surprised to see Skinner come in for Cordy as a late change. Personally I'm happy Howard gets a chance to atone for what he served up last week. Really like to see both Hill and Panos get a run before the seasons dusted.

Wouldn't mind seeing Skinner get a go as well as some Woofers suggested.

bornadog
19-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm with you on this chops. We all love to win but winning this late in the year against a team that is missing so many players will achieve what?

I'd rather play a good team, play well & lose then play a rabble team & win.

But its Carlton and I hate them as much as I hate Essendon. But then again

this :( is what will happen

Mantis
19-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Our backline = :eek:

Our forwardline = :eek:

Strap yourselves in for a rip snorter.

azabob
19-07-2012, 10:14 PM
What do we really get from these ins? I would have been happy to give a few more kids a go.

In the coaches eyes Austin, Vez, Grant & Pearce are kids.

azabob
19-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I agree with you Gmo, we'd need to keep Carlton under 8 goals to win I'd think, it's a chance but it's hard to see it happening.

No chance keeping them under eight, Betts will have a field day.

BulldogBelle
19-07-2012, 11:50 PM
How was Howard not dropped? Honestly. This is the elite level. His confidence was completely shot from the first bounce last week

Eastdog
19-07-2012, 11:55 PM
How was Howard not dropped? Honestly. This is the elite level. His confidence was completely shot from the first bounce last week

Maybe the match committee decided to give him another go to redeem himself but I agree that he should have been dropped based on last weeks performance.

Greystache
20-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Maybe the match committee decided to give him another go to redeem himself but I agree that he should have been dropped based on last weeks performance.

I would've thought we did that after a shocking performance against Essendon. Not only did he not redeem himself, he put in an even more inept performance 2 weeks later.

jeemak
20-07-2012, 01:39 AM

Average games in the group is 63. Take out Gia, and you end up with 22.75, with Grant having played the most with 44.

I know we've been hanging for Grant to display intensity and command the most from his ability, but he still hasn't played 50 games yet! A wirey, quick, skillful but underdeveloped 192cm player is the most senior of the ins, other than Gia.

Take out Grant, and you've got 15.66 games average amongst the rest. Austin and Veszpremi are the veterans of the group with 25 and 20 games respectively, across two clubs each.

Sure, it might be of benefit to the club to "play the kids", but you might find that it's more important to get games in to players that have around 25-50 games experience very quickly, because unfortunately due to our list management in recent times we're going have to rely on what we have in their age bracket to help the actual kids along when they get their chances.

Considering Willy didn't have a game last week I'm not too fussed with Jones or Panos missing again. Cordy is a forward, and I actually think that those who state he just stands in the goal square rather than leading to the ball have a pretty shallow understanding of how difficult it is being a 200cm+ player, playing in a severely disorganised and inneffective team. To assume he would be more effective leading up to a bunch of players that can't kick the thing for shit might be a little short sighted.

As for Howard, I'm not convinced he's going to become a regular contributor for us however, I think we've done the right thing by keepping him in the side. He needs games, pure and simple, and he needs to resolve to work through the current issues he's facing with intensity, attack on the ball and effectiveness in the seniors, not at Willy. Only the pressure experienced at senior level will sort this guy out (it's different for struggling talls, but that's another issue). Interestingly, I just did a quick comparision of Howard and Gilbee at the age of 21 and the numbers were a little surprising. Take a look, see what you think: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=8&pid1=3328&tid2=8&pid2=218&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

P.S. I know stats aren't everything, though I think it's important to remember that Gilbee was probably copping similar criticisms to Howard in 2001.

G-Mo77
20-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Considering Willy didn't have a game last week I'm not too fussed with Jones or Panos missing again. Cordy is a forward, and I actually think that those who state he just stands in the goal square rather than leading to the ball have a pretty shallow understanding of how difficult it is being a 200cm+ player, playing in a severely disorganised and inneffective team. To assume he would be more effective leading up to a bunch of players that can't kick the thing for shit might be a little short sighted.

So what your saying is don't try if your FF? I'm happy to sit at FF on Saturday then and save us a few $ on player payments. Cordy is not a forward. Yeah you can make excuses but smart forwards always find a way. Dickson still gets it done even though the disposal is deplorable. Space can be found if you know your trait. There is no place for Cordy in this team so they just throw him in a position he's not familiar with just to get games into him. I don't see the value in keeping him in the team at this position. VFL ruck for the rest of the year IMO.

Remi Moses
20-07-2012, 02:37 AM
All my Carlton mates reckon we will get up. Battle of the pessimists?

Carlton fans pessimists! Who would have thought that.
Would have had Jones or Panos in, as well.
Apparently there's doubts on Jamison( should have been suspended anyway!)and Scotland!!

Sockeye Salmon
20-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Apparently there's doubts on Jamison( should have been suspended anyway!)and Scotland!!

How the bloody hell are we expected to lose if Carlton are going to play their reserves?

This will take something special from McCartney or we could win and totally bugger up draft week!

BornInDroopSt'54
20-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Agreed but as its Carlton all other considerations are secondary.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-07-2012, 11:03 AM
How the bloody hell are we expected to lose if Carlton are going to play their reserves?

This will take something special from McCartney or we could win and totally bugger up draft week!

Yes and Port may win against Melbourne and threaten to go above us.

jeemak
20-07-2012, 11:11 AM
So what your saying is don't try if your FF? I'm happy to sit at FF on Saturday then and save us a few $ on player payments. Cordy is not a forward. Yeah you can make excuses but smart forwards always find a way. Dickson still gets it done even though the disposal is deplorable. Space can be found if you know your trait. There is no place for Cordy in this team so they just throw him in a position he's not familiar with just to get games into him. I don't see the value in keeping him in the team at this position. VFL ruck for the rest of the year IMO.

Of course that's exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:. You've got to wonder why he keeps getting played, if he's not trying and just standing around. I don't know his instructions each week, so it's pretty hard for me to comment.

I can't believe you're comparing Dickson to Cordy. You may not think he's a forward, but others and it seems the match committee do. I don't think he's going to be our most dominant forward, though I think he'll show he has the tools to be a ruck/forward that will allow us to avoid playing two specialist rucks in the future.

Playing him in the ruck at Willy isn't really going to help him be a better forward, is it?

Ghost Dog
20-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Scotland for them is like losing Cross for us. Is it actually possible for Daniel Cross to be out injured? When was the last time he missed a game from injury? Just take it for granted he will always be in the team. Teflon!

G-Mo77
20-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Of course that's exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:. You've got to wonder why he keeps getting played, if he's not trying and just standing around. I don't know his instructions each week, so it's pretty hard for me to comment.

Of course I think Cordy is trying but I'm not the only one who is sick of seeing a forward standing in the goal square not offering any leads. If he's instructed to do this then I'll throw the boots into Macca and Shannon Grant. I'd certainly hope that isn't the case because then we've seriously got more problems than I thought.

I can't believe you're comparing Dickson to Cordy. You may not think he's a forward, but others and it seems the match committee do. I don't think he's going to be our most dominant forward, though I think he'll show he has the tools to be a ruck/forward that will allow us to avoid playing two specialist rucks in the future.

Dickson's not quick, not that good overhead but still finds a way to find space. Not a fair comparison as Dickson's been a forward most of his career but it shows if you have the footy smarts that you can be damaging. Cordy doesn't seem like a natural fit at FF. I'm not confident Cordy can be a forward at all to be honest. I've got more confidence overall in Roughead who for some reason is in the dog house.

Playing him in the ruck at Willy isn't really going to help him be a better forward, is it?

I vision him as a ruck who can pinch hit at forward like you. Playing him at FF his entire senior career is not going to make him a better ruck either. A stint in the VFL at ruck wouldn't hurt at all.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2012, 01:22 PM

I also thought DJ did well last week. I think some posters get players in the gun and even if that player does well they won't recognize it.

bulldogsman
20-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Emergencies: Hargrave, Roughead, Skinner

So even Skinner is favoured over Panos and perhaps you could include Roughead as well. I don't think we will see Panos this year guys, unless he improves. He's maybe only ahead of Hill.

Eastdog
20-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Who do you think will be the sub this week?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Dickson's not quick, not that good overhead but still finds a way to find space. Not a fair comparison as Dickson's been a forward most of his career but it shows if you have the footy smarts that you can be damaging. Cordy doesn't seem like a natural fit at FF. I'm not confident Cordy can be a forward at all to be honest. I've got more confidence overall in Roughead who for some reason is in the dog house.

This confuses me too.

I think Roughead has been by far the best performed player out of Jones, Cordy, Grant and Campbell. I know a few have been very critical of his kicking for goal, which I have too, but aside from that Roughy had been playing pretty well. He was starting to do more around the ground, his intensity had certainly lifted and he was taking some big grabs in the forward half of the ground.

I think it's bizarre Roughy has been suddenly secluded. He's having/was having a good development season. If, for example, he converted his chances, we'd all be raving about how he's the next 'gun' big man of the competition. He missed 'em -- and whilst he drastically needs to improve this area of his game -- it's strange he's been outed.

westdog54
20-07-2012, 05:31 PM
This confuses me too.

I think Roughead has been by far the best performed player out of Jones, Cordy, Grant and Campbell. I know a few have been very critical of his kicking for goal, which I have too, but aside from that Roughy had been playing pretty well. He was starting to do more around the ground, his intensity had certainly lifted and he was taking some big grabs in the forward half of the ground.

The problem is though, when those 5 have shown little to no form between them (personally I think Campbell is the only one excused from that), its hard to separate them.

bornadog
20-07-2012, 05:40 PM
This confuses me too.

I think it's bizarre Roughy has been suddenly secluded. He's having/was having a good development season. If, for example, he converted his chances, we'd all be raving about how he's the next 'gun' big man of the competition. He missed 'em -- and whilst he drastically needs to improve this area of his game -- it's strange he's been outed.

Roughead has been ok this season. Agree he has done a bit more around the ground, but his kicking for goal hasn't been great. He is averaging around 4 marks a game and has kicked 4 goals 8. Ayce has a similar record with marks and he has kicked 7/7. So nothing to write home about from any of the talls.

G-Mo77
20-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Roughead has been ok this season. Agree he has done a bit more around the ground, but his kicking for goal hasn't been great. He is averaging around 4 marks a game and has kicked 4 goals 8. Ayce has a similar record with marks and he has kicked 7/7. So nothing to write home about from any of the talls.

Statistically speaking it's pretty even and not really thrilling. I feel more confident with Roughie taking a contested mark than Cordy. He just seems more likely to take one and can get off the ground when required, he's taken some terrific marks if my memory serves me correctly.

The Underdog
20-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Who do you think will be the sub this week?

Pearce would be my bet and hope.

divvydan
20-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Anyone know anything about the extent of Dickson's injury?

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-07-2012, 09:14 PM
This confuses me too.

Roughead was seen by the MC as Minson's understudy in the ruck at the start of the year so it is disappointing to see how he has dropped off. Needs to spend more time in the ruck where he is best suited. A greater shared distribution with Will around the ground would hasten his development. I agree it is a great pity to see him out of the side.