PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken....respect

always right
16-07-2012, 04:00 PM
No need to start yet another thread on what's going so desparately wrong at the kennel. Amongst all the negativity, I'd like to pay homage to one bloke who continues to stand up amidst all the carnage.....Liam Picken.

I watched him late in the last quarter against the hawks. He selflessly sprinted 20 meters away from Rioli to intercept a kick to a free hawks player....then when he was unable to prevent that player from delivering to Rioli, he bolted after Rioli and placed enough implied pressure on him to effect his kick. I suspect most players in any team would not have made the same effort in similar circumstances so late in the match. Most would have been more concerned about making sure their immediate opponent didn't get an easy kick over the top.

I could point to a dozen of examples similar to this in the game. If McCartney wants to instill a team-first ethos in the club, just post a picture of Picken on the whiteboard. This bloke bleeds for the team...often literally. Is there anyone more respected at the bulldogs by our supporters?

SonofScray
16-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Great highlight. His application in those instances is what we should expect of all players in all scenarios. Picken is the standout 'Bulldog' of this current squad.

The one on one where he beat a very dirty Cyril late was pleasing.

Remi Moses
16-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Been terrific again.

The Pie Man
16-07-2012, 04:23 PM
This bloke bleeds for the team...often literally. Is there anyone more respected at the bulldogs by our supporters?

No - imagine life today without him. He's a wonderful servant and role model to a young group.

Eastdog
16-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Great player Liam Picken who gives it his all and is an example of what the other players should do.

Ozza
16-07-2012, 04:36 PM
His spoil late in the game against Rioli and rebound from defensive 50 was the clear highlight of the day for me.

Sedat
16-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Great thread AR. I noticed this as well, he was prepared to leave Rioli to cover the free player and then harassed Rioli and prevented a certain goal. Muchos respect indeed.

Pickenitup
16-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I think he would be very high in the b and f this year
If most of our players had the same passion and heart as Picko well we would be a better side

bulldogsman
16-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Massive respect for Picken, let's his actions do the talking.

LostDoggy
16-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Captain material?

bornadog
16-07-2012, 06:18 PM
One of my favourites, gives his all. Rioli did not like the attention and gave him a punch to the head. Picken picked up 21 disposals for the day and clearly was the winner as he is nearly every week.

Edit: Just read the MRP and no report on Rioli - another disgrace by the AFL, as the entire Footscray end saw the incident. Also saw that little turd Mitchell punch Wallis to the face behind play, but again no report.

always right
16-07-2012, 06:26 PM
One of my favourites, gives his all. Rioli did not like the attention and gave him a punch to the head. Picken picked up 21 disposals for the day and clearly was the winner as he is nearly every week.

Edit: Just read the MRP and no report on Roili - another disgrace by the AFL, as the entire Footscray end saw the incident. Also saw that little turd Mitchell punch Wallis to the face behind play, but again no report.

I was towards the other end so it was difficult to see. I assumed Picken was playing up the contact as the umpire was standing 15 metres away watching. I was surprised that no free was paid considering how forceful the contact appeared to be.

DragzLS1
17-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Love Picken!! Always said if we had a team full of this guy we would be at the opposite end of the ladder!

Desipura
17-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Love Picken!! Always said if we had a team full of this guy we would be at the opposite end of the ladder!

Whilst I know where you are coming from, I cannot say I agree. To be at the top end of the ladder, you would want a bit more silk (no disrespect to Picken)

LostDoggy
17-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Son of a Gun, Gun of a Son

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Fantastic player and as I posted on another tread Ithk it may be time to see if he can be a midfielder in amongst our current group. That is if we have another tagged around tha can stand up, if we are ever going t look a. This the time is now.

Could Sherman be a tagged and release Picken into the midfield or as a defensive forward?

westbulldog
17-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Great player Liam Picken who gives it his all and is an example of what the other players should do.

Couldn't agree more, well said.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Whilst I know where you are coming from, I cannot say I agree. To be at the top end of the ladder, you would want a bit more silk (no disrespect to Picken)

He has never really had the chance to show it has he? He's a great kick on goal. Always played as a forward in the Western District and kicked bags.
Just the sort of bloke you need in times like this. A Tony Liberatore of our times.

jeemak
21-07-2014, 12:59 AM
Where is Liam's game at present?

I thought in recent weeks his intent was good, though time and again he's been a liability by foot and with the ball generally.

There's no denying I haven't been the biggest fan of his output aside from when he's tagging through the middle, but for the most part this year he's been a reasonable player that's just seemed to taper off over recent weeks.

Does Liam hold any value as a trade target? If we develop our list how we all think or want to see it develop does Liam have a spot?

In some ways I think because of the way he plays he gets a few more free passes than other players might get (not just at the Bulldogs, but across the comp) as it's easy enough to like a player who goes nuts at the footy all the time. But at what point do other posters think his output won't be sufficient enough to maintain a spot in our side?

always right
21-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Where is Liam's game at present?

I thought in recent weeks his intent was good, though time and again he's been a liability by foot and with the ball generally.

There's no denying I haven't been the biggest fan of his output aside from when he's tagging through the middle, but for the most part this year he's been a reasonable player that's just seemed to taper off over recent weeks.

Does Liam hold any value as a trade target? If we develop our list how we all think or want to see it develop does Liam have a spot?

In some ways I think because of the way he plays he gets a few more free passes than other players might get (not just at the Bulldogs, but across the comp) as it's easy enough to like a player who goes nuts at the footy all the time. But at what point do other posters think his output won't be sufficient enough to maintain a spot in our side?

Not sure but I do know that when Picken is no longer getting a game, it means our side has taken another significant step forward.

Sedat
21-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Won't be going anywhere with Wallis likely out injured for the rest of the season. I can see him getting squeezed out of the team in the next couple of years by more talented younger players but until then I take great comfort in seeing him selected in our team because of his unyielding hardness and absolute dedication to the team cause. His team-orientated attitude in everything he does is a fantastic influence on his younger peers.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Won't be going anywhere with Wallis likely out injured for the rest of the season. I can see him getting squeezed out of the team in the next couple of years by more talented younger players but until then I take great comfort in seeing him selected in our team because of his unyielding hardness and absolute dedication to the team cause. His team-orientated attitude in everything he does is a fantastic influence on his younger peers.

Agree with this.

He's very good at the basics; applying real and inferred pressure, tackling, repeat efforts, locking the ball in when being tackled/doing the tackling, spoiling and winning or neutralizing contested situations.

I thought we actually missed Picken's desperation when he went off. The heat of the game went up ten fold in the last and we lacked a little/ran out of legs. Strange move to sub him.

I was worried about him about 2 years ago, but he has been very good since. As Sedat says, likely to be over taken in a couple of years, at which point he'll be ready to retire anyway.

jeemak
21-07-2014, 05:04 PM
I appreciate all of that. In my mind there's little doubt he sets a good example to younger and older team mates alike, that's certainly not an issue for me.

Suppose my question is about whether we think he's adding enough value to our list, and will do over the next 24 months as he deteriorates relative to those he is competing with for a spot, or whether we think we might be able to secure some value for him while his stocks are reasonably high.

Our list profile suggests we can't really afford to lose players of his age without seriously considering the gap in experience we will face with the impending retirements of Morris, Boyd, Murphy and Gia (on top of Williams), but we are coming to a stage where we will need to start giving a lot of developing talent more games.

always right
21-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I appreciate all of that. In my mind there's little doubt he sets a good example to younger and older team mates alike, that's certainly not an issue for me.

Suppose my question is about whether we think he's adding enough value to our list, and will do over the next 24 months as he deteriorates relative to those he is competing with for a spot, or whether we think we might be able to secure some value for him while his stocks are reasonably high.

Our list profile suggests we can't really afford to lose players of his age without seriously considering the gap in experience we will face with the impending retirements of Morris, Boyd, Murphy and Gia (on top of Williams), but we are coming to a stage where we will need to start giving a lot of developing talent more games.

Personally I don't think Picken is the type of player that would attract a lot of interest from other clubs. What we would get for him wouldn't outweigh what he provides for our team.

LostDoggy
21-07-2014, 05:26 PM
He's invaluless

jeemak
21-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Personally I don't think Picken is the type of player that would attract a lot of interest from other clubs. What we would get for him wouldn't outweigh what he provides for our team.

I struggle with us keeping players in our team that wouldn't be of interest to other teams. In some ways it's conceding that they're not very good.

Understand that's not what you're saying, I just have trouble with the logic.

always right
21-07-2014, 05:51 PM
I struggle with us keeping players in our team that wouldn't be of interest to other teams. In some ways it's conceding that they're not very good.

Understand that's not what you're saying, I just have trouble with the logic.

Not so much the player himself but the role he plays. Does anyone chase small defenders/taggers nowadays? I imagine most clubs believe they can develop this type from within. Look at our own ranks where we now have Wallis, Picken and Jong who can all play this role.

DragzLS1
21-07-2014, 06:55 PM
He is a type of player that plays a position that isn't the most important, with other players that could do a decent job of.. His determination and attack just puts him in the top 5 playing that type of role. I personally would not trade a player like him as he sets an example and is the type of consistent player we need at such an important time.