PDA

View Full Version : Deep thinking Hill

bornadog
16-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/141474/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/tomhill246c.jpg

Staying in the moment is imperative on the football field - contest to contest, minute to minute. But for Tom Hill, someone who is so often lost in his own thoughts, staying in the moment is a skill that has to be learnt.

21 year-old Hill is one of the quieter characters in the Western Bulldogs playing group, not unsociable, just quiet.

View Tom Hill's player profile.

Yet behind his reserved and easy-going exterior is an aspiring footballer who is regularly deep in thought.

As well as honing his footy craft this season, a focus has been on the mental side of his game - staying in the current contest and veering away from being his own worst critic.

“I am probably one of those guys who stresses a lot and does my head in, overanalyses and that sort of thing,” Hill said.

The calming influence and educational manner of Senior Coach Brendan McCartney has made a huge impact on Hill as he continues to develop and evolve both on and off the footy field.

“With Macca coming in - he has probably been one of the biggest influences in my… not just football but life,” he said.

“He is really good at just bringing me back down to earth and staying in the moment and not overanalysing things - breaking it down and taking it play by play and moment by moment.

“I have spent a lot of one on one time with him this year and [I am] just continually learning new things about myself and about the game through him - he has been a big influence in that way.

Overlooked in the 2009 AFL Draft, Hill began his football journey with AFL’s 18th franchise, GWS Giants.

Within weeks of the Northern Knights recruit uprooting his life and moving north, he was booked in for knee surgery with a line ruled through his name for the rest of the season.

While the experience was confronting and at times lonely he believes it has made him more resilient as a person and the surgery ultimately kept his AFL dreams alive.

Hill returned to Melbourne through the 2010 draft, picked up with the Western Bulldogs fifth round selection (pick 89) - a move he was more than happy to make.

“Really happy to be home - obviously Sydney was a pretty tough year and it is good now… back at home with Mum and Dad,” he said.

“The security and comfort of just being home and not just your family but your mates that you grew up with - there is just a lot more support around you.”

Having that support network nearby came in handy sooner rather than later when he again went down with injury early last year. Luck was not on the key forward’s side with a foot injury sidelining him for 15 weeks.

Hill is not foreign to injuries - in his short football career he has endured two stress fractures in his feet, a dislocated left knee, an operation in his right knee to remove some bone as well as numerous bouts of osteitis pubis when he was younger.

Despite his unfortunate run he does not want to dwell on the past and with defender Dale Morris nearby he appreciates that it could be worse.

“Dale Morris is my mentor and obviously he has gone through pretty horrific injuries so it sort of puts it into perspective,” he said.

“Talking to Dale and just the senior players who have been through it all over their 10 year careers, they can really help guide you through those tough times.

“Big Will [Minson] and Rob Murphy as well are the two other guys that I really go to just for advice and support - they are really switched on and they are good.”

The 2012 Season has been a breakthrough for Hill, putting in a full pre-season and featuring in the Bulldogs NAB Cup campaign.

He's also added a number of strings to his bow playing for VFL affiliate Williamstown, assisting in the ruck and playing a role in defence earlier in the season.

“I am trying to put most of my time and energy and I guess craftwork into my forward play… [but] it is good to show a bit of versatility,” he said.

“Obviously guys are in and out of the team at senior level, so it is just about being patient and maintaining work-rate and a good attitude and intensity in games and hopefully, eventually being rewarded.

Kicking 13 goals within four weeks earlier in the season, Hill was beginning to find form before a groin niggle kept him out of the side that took on Port Melbourne.

Currently playing in Williamstown’s development squad, Hill is pressing his claims to return to the senior VFL side kicking five goals last weekend and being named among the best in two consecutive weeks.

“I was really starting to feel comfortable up forward and feel like I could compete consistently at senior [VFL] level,” he said.

“I am back at reserve level now just trying to get my confidence back up and just trying to recapture that form that I was in early, so hopefully an opportunity presents itself soon.

“This year has been a lot better mentally just to get some consistency and train back to back every week.

“In terms of skin folds and my strength I am easily feeling a lot more confident in my body than I previously have been.”

Hill is buoyed by the talent rising through the Bulldogs ranks and is even more excited by the guidance of McCartney going forward.

As for life after footy he is beginning an air-conditioning apprenticeship but hopes he won’t need to fall back on that for some time.

“We have a really good group of players and coaches here and we are working on things process by process,” he said.

“I think [McCartney] has been a tremendous inclusion as a Coach and it has certainly made a big difference in my football this year and hopefully going forward.

“In the future it is looking very bright - [we are] definitely in capable hands.”

Maddog37
16-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Someone needs to tell this fella to stop being so optimistic. Doesn't he know we are going to be wooden spooners with only twenty thousand members and no future!!

GVGjr
16-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Hill has done some fine things early this year but has slipped back to the field alarmingly.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is a player we are considering dropping at the end of the season. He has the balance of the season to prove he can stand up and have a future with us.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2012, 08:03 PM
So with our season going from bad to worse we run an article from a guy playing at the third level to tell us how everything will be wonderful.

We need much better promotion than this to engage supporters.

bornadog
16-07-2012, 08:10 PM
So with our season going from bad to worse we run an article from a guy playing at the third level to tell us how everything will be wonderful.

I disagree, I like the article and the discussion on his progress

azabob
16-07-2012, 08:41 PM

I tend to agree with Bulldog Joe on this one, I'm sure a few weeks ago there was an article on Redpath or Hooper. Neither player has looked like progressing past the VFL seniors, yet someone writes an article on them.

But they do say any publicity is good publicity.

Mantis
16-07-2012, 09:41 PM

But is he making progress?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Hill has done some fine things early this year but has slipped back to the field alarmingly.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is a player we are considering dropping at the end of the season. He has the balance of the season to prove he can stand up and have a future with us.

As someone who watches more of Willi than most of us, would you keep him on GVG?

GVGjr
16-07-2012, 10:25 PM
As someone who watches more of Willi than most of us, would you keep him on GVG?

It would all depend on his form and attitude. While the Dogs fluff around with 3 ruckman in the seniors and then resting another at Williamstown, Hill has been playing in the reserves. I suspect someone isn't happy with his output.