PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs seek more blockbusters

Greystache
17-07-2012, 02:22 PM
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/07/16/3461116/art-svBULLDOGS-620x349.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs will seek a multicultural-round blockbuster against a power Victorian club as part of their fixture request for next season.

The Age can reveal the Dogs have already begun to seriously think about their wish-list, having endured a rugged 2012 fixture from a commercial and playing perspective.

Home attendances are only 23,860 on average in eight games, although this includes the 8724 who showed up in Darwin for the clash against the Gold Coast, and membership has also dipped.

The Bulldogs are not the only team to suffer in what has been a tough economic environment and with all matches now broadcast live on television. The Dogs also have a team that is rebuilding.
Advertisement

Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said yesterday the multicultural-round clash would be a cornerstone of his request.

''From a footy perspective, the club is placing an emphasis on seeking a reduction in the number of six-day breaks, following eight this season,'' he said.

''We are also very focused on securing a continued solid commercial draw in 2013. This would include a match against a major Melbourne club as the cornerstone of multicultural round - given the Bulldogs represent Melbourne's west, one of the most culturally diverse regions in the country.''

The Bulldogs were the away team in this year's multicultural round when they played Essendon at Etihad Stadium. The Bombers would be one club the Bulldogs would look to host.

Bulldogs president David Smorgon told the club faithful during his pre-match address against Collingwood in round six that more needed to be done to develop blockbusters for clubs not regarded as traditional heavyweights.

The AFL has recently opened requests for the fixturing wish-lists of all clubs. This comes as Carlton and Richmond await a decision on whether they will play in their traditional opening to the season at the MCG. The teams have rejected plans for the game, the season-opener for the past five seasons, to be at Etihad Stadium.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou last month said the opening round would be a week earlier than normal, at Etihad - to permit two byes throughout the season as requested by the players - and while the Tigers-Blues game worked well launching the season, it would most likely be round two or three.

The AFL has been unable to strike a deal with Cricket Victoria, which has rights to the MCG until the end of March, in case there is a Victorian Sheffield Shield final.

Former Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett was upset that of the Hawks' four home matches in Launceston this year only one was against a Victorian-based side. It's understood the Hawks will ask for at least one more match against a Victorian side.

Essendon was angry it had only one home match in its opening five, and will ask for at least one more. The Bombers, however, will have the traditional Anzac Day clash against Collingwood as a home game next season, which typically falls in the opening five weeks of the season.

It's understood North Melbourne would again be interested in staging a season opener against the Bombers.

St Kilda will also play on Anzac Day next season, with a night clash to be held at Wellington's Westpac Stadium. It's understood the Saints are close to releasing details, with a preferred opponent a club from the eastern seaboard. Brisbane Lions have shown interest. The AFL has also indicated it will add more Monday night games.

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-seek-more-blockbusters-20120716-226ic.html)

Desipura
17-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeh, cos we really have a strong case for wanting blockbusters. I mean look at how we are performing, very attractive brand of footy. :rolleyes:

Eastdog
17-07-2012, 03:51 PM
We are playing a terrible brand footy at the moment but hopefully the requests for the 2013 draw for us work out as it will be very good playing the powerful Victorian clubs and getting a more of a commercial draw. I also hope we play a bit more at the MCG even though our home ground is Etihad Stadium.

bornadog
17-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Good initiative by the club and long overdue.

Desipura
17-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Good initiative by the club and long overdue.

We should have struck whilst we were hot in 2009/2010.

bornadog
17-07-2012, 03:58 PM

We had the highest average crowd at Eithad in 2009, and that is saying something when the Saints were also hot and Essendon is a co tenant. Round 15, we had 51387 v Collingwood, the following week 47120 (v Essendon) and the week after v Saints, 45082. The other games at Eithad that year attracted numbers like, 44268, 44620, 46818, 48,888.

Eastdog
17-07-2012, 03:59 PM

We were very good to watch then and against those powerful Victorian clubs and if they were doing well the matches would have been great to watch.

chef
17-07-2012, 06:04 PM
TBH the only blockbuster I can ever remember us playing outside of finals, was the last round in 98.

If we want to play them then we need to climb up to the top of the ladder.

What happened to our so called blockbuster against Norf? was it for the CFA or something?

bornadog
17-07-2012, 06:14 PM
TBH the only blockbuster I can ever remember us playing outside of finals, was the last round in 98.

If we want to play them then we need to climb up to the top of the ladder.

What happened to our so called blockbuster against Norf? was it for the CFA or something?

What do you call a blockbuster? The 1998 game just happened because two teams were fighting for top spot.

If a blockbuster is a big game, big crowd, then:

* Do you remember the Saturday night game versus Collingwood in 2006 at the MCG, Over 67,960 there.

* in Comparison the North game had 68,050 (diff of 90 over Pies match) and the week before against Essendon 67157.

They were our biggest H& A crowds since 1992.

chef
17-07-2012, 06:26 PM
What do you call a blockbuster? The 1998 game just happened because two teams were fighting for top spot.

If a blockbuster is a big game, big crowd, then:

* Do you remember the Saturday night game versus Collingwood in 2006 at the MCG, Over 67,960 there.

* in Comparison the North game had 68,050 (diff of 90 over Pies match) and the week before against Essendon 67157.

They were our biggest H& A crowds since 1992.

Thought I may have missed one or two. Yes to me a block buster is a big game and a big crowd and in all seriousness they are on the lower end of big crowds. Sadly we are just not a block buster team.

AndrewP6
17-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Right idea, completely wrong timing. I can just imagine the suits at AFL House giggling through our request. Teams that are shite (and playing an ugly style at the same time) don't get blockbusters. As stated by others, should've asked a couple of years ago.

Sedat
17-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Why would the AFL waste their time even listening to fixture requests from us? We have form when it comes to taking whatever crumbs the AFL throws at our feet, and we do it with a smile. We are curretly the minnows and the ugly ducklings of the competition, so we will continue to be used to plug all the shitty holes in the AFL's fixture. That means we'll be getting Sunday twilight and Foxtel games up to our eyeballs again in 2013, and frankly we don't deserve anything else with the tripe we've served up most of the season and the rubbish crowds we've attracted.

bornadog
18-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I commend the club for trying and not having a loser attitude. Not sure why posters are negative on this.

LostDoggy
18-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Why would the AFL waste their time even listening to fixture requests from us? We have form when it comes to taking whatever crumbs the AFL throws at our feet, and we do it with a smile. We are curretly the minnows and the ugly ducklings of the competition, so we will continue to be used to plug all the shitty holes in the AFL's fixture. That means we'll be getting Sunday twilight and Foxtel games up to our eyeballs again in 2013, and frankly we don't deserve anything else with the tripe we've served up most of the season and the rubbish crowds we've attracted.

Richmond have served tripe since 1981 and still have blockbusters. It's about building some "traditional" rivalry over time not where you are in the footy development cycle on field. I applaud the request - would love to play vs hawthorn in a west vs east billing.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I commend the club for trying and not having a loser attitude. Not sure why posters are negative on this.

Correct but so are most o the others, in this world it's all about timing and. Think we haven't got that right for this one. Also I would say that Carlton would be a better fit with this option.

I would float the idea so no one else beats us to it, but I would also see much more sense in tagging along with the saints to play in NZ.

We couldn't nude in a market overseas and even design a ANZAC jumper, we do have the colours to the Australian flag.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Correct but so are most o the others, in this world it's all about timing and. Think we haven't got that right for this one. Also I would say that Carlton would be a better fit with this option.

I wold float the idea so no one else beats us to it, but I would also see much more sense in tagging along with the saints to plan in NZ.

We couldn't nude in a market overseas and even design a ANZAC jumper, we do have the cours to the Australian flag.

Yes ...nude! a very good option. I know my students would pay to see Will Minson do a streak! Bulldoze the debt indeed:D

Maddog37
18-07-2012, 11:00 AM

So we should roll over and not even try to improve our draw? You would be the first one to whinge that we are not doing enough, are the AFLs bitches etc etc

Sedat
18-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I applaud the request - would love to play vs hawthorn in a west vs east billing.
The same Hawthorn that we drew 24k to on the weekend? Which was 8k less than the corresponding game last year and a further 8k less than the 2010 match between the two teams?

So we're asking the AFL for 'more blockbusters'? Who with? What exactly are we doing to cultivate any such rivalries? I'm all for proactive sugestions and ideas from our commercial team but simply asking for 'more blockbusters' doesn't cut it. There would be 16 other clubs asking for the same thing.

bornadog
18-07-2012, 11:28 PM
The same Hawthorn that we drew 24k to on the weekend? Which was 8k less than the corresponding game last year and a further 8k less than the 2010 match between the two teams?

So we're asking the AFL for 'more blockbusters'? Who with? What exactly are we doing to cultivate any such rivalries? I'm all for proactive sugestions and ideas from our commercial team but simply asking for 'more blockbusters' doesn't cut it. There would be 16 other clubs asking for the same thing.

So we just do nothing and continue as we are:confused: I am really surprised about your negativity towards this one

westdog54
18-07-2012, 11:45 PM

So we just do nothing and continue as we are:confused: I am really surprised about your negativity towards this one

I'll second that.

Its refreshing to see the club actually going out and saying 'we want' for once.

Carlton and Richmond were producing rubbish football between them for most of the last 5 years and yet they scored themselves the 'traditional' opening fixture.

Collingwood's form in 1995 and in the 5 or so years that followed was indifferent at best, and they were in an extraordinarily perilous financial position at the time. They got the ANZAC day game handed to them on a platter.

The only vehicle we have to get what we want in these situations is to make noise about it. Prior to the last 2 years we've had great crowds for the 3 or 4 years before that and its landed us SFA from the AFL.

Hotdog60
19-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Financially it would be hard, but I would like us to do some promotional games in the US.

AFL has quite a few teams in the US granted they might be mostly expats and I think they enjoy the physical contest. I think we have the right colours that would appeal to them being they are all gun-ho and patriotic.

Maybe Chicago1 would know more on how this would go.:)

SonofScray
19-07-2012, 10:27 AM

I hate the AFL's concept of a blockbuster. All it does is cause issues with the fixture and isolate the smaller clubs from the biggest. I'm glad the Club is thinking about how they can get a piece of that pie but much of what Sedat highlighted is bang on.

The AFL doesn't just add blockbuster to a game's title and 30k extra people show up.

Beyond that the Club could cultivate rivalries and extra interest against a handful of clubs we have history with or something to exploit:

Dogs v Dons : battle of the maribyrnong river/ local derby
Dogs v Blues : 'tragic history' / working class v blue bloods
Dogs v WCE : sumich choker hold / last game at WO
Dogs v Hawks : east v west
Dogs v Roos : survival of the fittest / fight to the death

Best way to make it happen is to call a Club out in the media,pick a fight, create some bad blood. Then come to blows on the field. Then say you're glad we flogged them and punched their heads in. If we are instigating, you don't need to emotionally invest in that stuff in the media so much, it can be a bit of theatre.

Make someone hate us. They'll come to see us because they want to see us get beaten. Those who love us will be there anyway and likely to be more vocal because in defence of the Club.

Bulldog4life
19-07-2012, 12:07 PM

I think it is a great initiative by the Club too.Unfortunately with some supporters The Club is continually dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.