PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Footscray

aker39
24-09-2007, 10:20 AM
No, I'm not that guy who has his own website about Footscray Not Western Bulldogs, but I do think it would be great for the Bulldogs to have a stand alone team in the AFL and call it Footscray.

With the redeveloped Whitten Oval, I look forward to be able to go and watch Footscray play there.

I't is clear that it is Rocket's preference to have a stand alone team, but how would the AFL view this, with the added expenses, when they are giving us $1.7m a year.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2007, 10:22 AM
No, I'm not that guy who has his own website about Footscray Not Western Bulldogs, but I do think it would be great for the Bulldogs to have a stand alone team in the AFL and call it Footscray.

With the redeveloped Whitten Oval, I look forward to be able to go and watch Footscray play there.

I't is clear that it is Rocket's preference to have a stand alone team, but how would the AFL view this, with the added expenses, when they are giving us $1.7m a year.

The AFL don't "give" us $1.7mil. It is compensation for getting screwed by the AFL when they can make more money out of someone else.

GVGjr
24-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I think we all agree that we would love to see it happen however, on the radio over the weekend the strong mail was that we will just go with Williamstown.

I wonder what impact a Footscray side would have to the Western Bulldogs membership numbers?

aker39
24-09-2007, 11:09 AM
The AFL don't "give" us $1.7mil. It is compensation for getting screwed by the AFL when they can make more money out of someone else.

They GIVE us compensation.

bornadog
24-09-2007, 06:51 PM
They GIVE us compensation.

yes you can call it that, but don't forget why we get it:

- bad deal at Telstra
- No blockbusters
- Play in ACT instead of multi million dollar deal to play twice in Darwin
just for starters, so they shouldn't dictate how we spend it, but as you said they probably do influence how we spend it.

Love to see a Footscray VFL team and I think membership would increase and so would merchandise spend. I was always a little pissed that Werribee stuck to Tigers as mascot. (let alone the control of our players)

Twodogs
24-09-2007, 06:55 PM
yes you can call it that, but don't forget why we get it:

- bad deal at Telstra
- No blockbusters
- Play in ACT instead of multi million dollar deal to play twice in Darwin
just for starters, so they shouldn't dictate how we spend it, but as you said they probably do influence how we spend it.

Love to see a Footscray VFL team and I think membership would increase and so would merchandise spend. I was always a little pissed that Werribee stuck to Tigers as mascot. (let alone the control of our players)

Man am I happy to see the back of that particular aspect of the Werribee allingment. I could have stuck the 'bees as a mascot but the Tiger thing made me sick.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Man am I happy to see the back of that particular aspect of the Werribee allingment. I could have stuck the 'bees as a mascot but the Tiger thing made me sick.

Never once called them Tigers - couldn't do it.

mjp
24-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Gotchy has been appointed coach of Willi for 2 years fwiw.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2007, 07:56 PM
What the story behind him?

GVGjr
24-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Gotchy has been appointed coach of Willi for 2 years fwiw.

I heard some appalling stories of Saade Ghazi coach exploits.

By the way have you heard that Aussie Jones is a candidate for the Sandi Dragons job?

hargs37
24-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Have a mate who was involved at Port when Saade Ghazi was coach and said he didn't have a clue. I live in the outer east, and have a slight interest in Box Hill, as a few kids from my local club have gone through there in the last couple of years. But I would travel the miles to take my kids to the Whitten Oval to watch a Footscray team run around in the VFL. And I believe the AFL would support our decision to have a stand alone team in the VFL. They seem pretty supportive of the current board and have a very high opinion of Smorgon and Rose and their ability to do the best thing for the footy club. Wouldn't it be awsome to see the boys run around in either the eighties strip, or even the traditional single red and white bar on blue. Think we would get great crowds( even as good as SANFL). Hope Rocket sticks to his guns!

Raw Toast
25-09-2007, 11:44 AM
It's probably too late but perhaps we need to make some calls to the club and write some letters. If the club, and maybe particularly Cam Rose, get a sense of a groudswell of support they might act on it. I'd want them to be pretty confident about the financial side of it though because we don't want to over-reach ourselves and add to our vulnerability...

LostDoggy
26-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I was told that the nature of the redevelopment rules out any VFL (or AFL, sadly) football at the WO. Is this true?

LostDoggy
26-09-2007, 03:45 PM
I was told that the nature of the redevelopment rules out any VFL (or AFL, sadly) football at the WO. Is this true?

Yeah, people aren't allowed to watch training/matches etc. there until mid 2008 as it is considered a construction zone or something to that effect.

westdog54
26-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, people aren't allowed to watch training/matches etc. there until mid 2008 as it is considered a construction zone or something to that effect.

Making 2009 a distinct possibility, depending on how long we sign up with Williamstown of course.