PDA

View Full Version : Dogs to consider putting Cooney on ice until 2013

bornadog
17-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/141739/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1_TR100712LC142-1.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney hasn't ruled out the prospect of resting the Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney for the last part of the season.

The Bulldogs will be without Cooney for a third consecutive week with knee soreness when they take on Carlton at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

Given the degenerative nature of the 26-year-old's knee problem, coupled with the fact the Bulldogs are 14th and out of finals contention, it seems logical the Bulldogs would consider putting Cooney on ice for the rest of the season to enable him to start afresh in 2013, and perhaps maximise the time he has left in the game.

Click here to view Cooney's career stats

McCartney was non-committal on the concept, but didn’t reject it either.

"There's still a lot to be played out with that," he said at Whitten Oval on Tuesday.

"(There's) still seven weeks to go and the last thing on our mind is looking at next year. We want to play better footy than we've played and we want all of our list to keep progressing and learning how we want them to play and keep working on their individual games, and Adam's part of that."

Pressed further on the idea of resting Cooney, McCartney said: "Possibly."

One senior Bulldog who will probably return, according to the coach, is veteran Daniel Giansiracusa, after recovering from a stress-related foot injury.

If he proves his fitness for the clash with the Blues, Giansiracusa - the Dogs' equal-leading goalkicker this season with Shaun Higgins on 18 - will return up to a fortnight ahead of schedule.

"He's brought his length of absence forward with some really good rehab, which is a good example to the younger players," McCartney said.

"The rest has worked. It needed a rest - it was inflamed and it was a pretty sore foot. He probably played two weeks too long with it, which seasoned players have a way of doing (because) they feel they need to be out there helping younger teammates."

The Bulldogs will also be without defender Lukas Markovic, who has suffered another hamstring injury, the seriousness of which will be confirmed by scans on Tuesday.

McCartney also elaborated on his post-match observation - made after his side's 72-point loss to Hawthorn on Sunday - that some experienced Bulldogs had at times been guilty of "walking around aimlessly".

"What I meant (by) 'aimlessly' was there are times in a game where there's another stoppage, well set the stoppage up; if you've lost possession of the ball, get on your opponent or a free opponent; and if you have the ball in your hands and we need to get the ball moving and you’re in the way, get out of the way so that someone else can get in there; or if you're the free player, get busy and draw the ball," he said.

"It was an apt description of what happened to some of our players."

McCartney said he wants his team to win more contested ball - the Hawks beat them 156-116 in this area - and move it quicker against Carlton.

divvydan
17-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Heard McCartney speaking about Cooney. Seemed like the journalist had already decided that the story was going to be Cooney resting until 2013 and just kept asking until getting an answer that wouldn't go completely against the story.

Desipura
17-07-2012, 05:37 PM
What does this achieve, if his knee is shot, no amount of rest will make it better.
If it cannot be improved, we should pay him out.

bulldogsman
17-07-2012, 08:04 PM
What does this achieve, if his knee is shot, no amount of rest will make it better.
If it cannot be improved, we should pay him out.

Perhaps they want to send him overseas to try something new??? Better to do it now then in preseason.

AndrewP6
17-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Back to contested ball....

Desipura
17-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Perhaps they want to send him overseas to try something new??? Better to do it now then in preseason.

If that's the case, why did they wait until now? It was widely known that it was not going to get better a long time ago.

Dancin' Douggy
17-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Put him on ice, explore every medical avenue.
If he's really gone pay him out.
Don't want to make the poor guy a cripple.
What terrible terrible luck for him and the club

LostDoggy
17-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Not sure Cooney is the type to try anything or everything to get his knee better.
Doubt a break will achieve much

Go_Dogs
17-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Agreed, hopefully the club is looking at all possible options, including overseas. If there is any chance of improving the knee, we must explore it. It's already obvious that the management program(s?) of the past few years isn't helping at all and we must try some new approaches.

Remi Moses
17-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Don't see the point of this.I'm sure they've exercised every option, and I just reckon it's futile.
Terrible for the club and Adam, and I feel we've been robbed of seeing a great player:mad:

Sedat
17-07-2012, 10:36 PM
This. Fly him to Germany and do whatever it takes to improve him physically. He has more talent and brilliance in his little finger than 3/4 of the list so let's exhaust all options to make him healthier and get him at or near his peak again. If it doesn't work out, life after footy beckons, but the current scenario is doing nobody any favours.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 01:46 AM
This. Fly him to Germany and do whatever it takes to improve him physically. He has more talent and brilliance in his little finger than 3/4 of the list so let's exhaust all options to make him healthier and get him at or near his peak again. If it doesn't work out, life after footy beckons, but the current scenario is doing nobody any favours.

Fly him anywhere that might help him. But not Hong Kong...

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Spot on and the time is now not in 4to6 weeks. Down the track. It will also. Allow am opportunity to give a young bulldog a ganratee of a few game in a row.

Win Win for all concerned. Guess I miss his class.

DragzLS1
18-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Oh god could you imagine an 80% fit Cooney! It would automatically give other teams a head ache not knowing wether to tag Coon, Griffen or both.. Either way it would change a hell of a lot! Like when he played Carlton last year :D got me off my chair!

Send him to Germany and do what ever operation is needed then give him time to recover during the rest of the season and off season.. Pre season take a slow approach with him and just get him right for next year. No point leaving him out and not doing anything about his knee, we all know he is our best player by a long shot if fully fit and at his peak.

mjp
18-07-2012, 02:08 PM
This. Fly him to Germany...

Kobe Bryant / Alex Rodriguez style?

I love it.

MrMahatma
19-07-2012, 03:43 PM

I love it.
I tweeted Cooney an article on that a few months back. Sounds similar to his issues. I'm sure they've known about it for a long time and would hope they've given it consideration. I'm sure they have.

LostDoggy
20-07-2012, 11:02 PM
In todays day & age surely they can use a Dremel and Spakfiller to fix a dodgy knee. Strewth we sent men to the moon in 69 surely a plastic knee isn't out of the question in 2012

Sedat
21-07-2012, 09:08 AM

I love it.
Cost should not even come into it. We have wasted far more money and club resources ploughing years of development into guys like Mulligan, Hooper, Djerkurra, Stack, etc.. for zero return. We have a bonafide superstar on our list entering his footballing prime - do whatever it takes to get him better. Not only will it massively benefit the playing group as a whole, the spin-off benefits to the likes of Griffen and Boyd will be enormous.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Cost should not even come into it. We have wasted far more money and club resources ploughing years of development into guys like Mulligan, Hooper, Djerkurra, Stack, etc.. for zero return. We have a bonafide superstar on our list entering his footballing prime - do whatever it takes to get him better. Not only will it massively benefit the playing group as a whole, the spin-off benefits to the likes of Griffen and Boyd will be enormous.

Agreed. I don't want to hear any cop-outs or further inaction (or what appears to be inaction) - bite the bullet and do it, stuff the cost. A fit Cooney would go a long way to giving us a chance at finals next year.

AndrewP6
21-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think cost is the issue. I remember last year or the year before they said something along the lines of it not being something that surgery could fix.

Ghost Dog
21-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't think cost is the issue. I remember last year or the year before they said something along the lines of it not being something that surgery could fix.

Can anyone confirm this?

AndrewP6
21-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

Here's one that has Rocket Eade saying there's not a lot they can do to improve it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-31/cooney-could-go-abroad/2817776

And this one, with the line "There is no cure", and Coons himself saying "It's not going to go away"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/adam-cooney-speaks-about-the-knee-that-has-dogged-him-sincw-2008/story-e6frexx0-1226095964548

Scorlibo
03-08-2012, 11:25 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143431/default.aspx

This sounds like exactly the same problem as Coons.

Hotdog60
03-08-2012, 02:47 PM

If it is the same problem I would say the dogs would be looking very close to see how this goes.

Greystache
03-08-2012, 03:01 PM

There's lots of new techniques being tried all the time, mostly based around regeneration using stem cells, hopefully someone hits on the winning formula in the near future as it would make a massive difference not just to elite athletes but to many people in everyday life.

The issue with this type of thing is there's so many different types of knee issue and a one stop solution isn't possible. Cooney's being a knee cap is probably one of the more difficult to fix, epscially as it's the result of a fracture. I hope a solution can be found soon, but I fear it won't happen during Cooney's time in the game.