PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - 17 July 2012

bornadog
18-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Dear Member,

To capitulate the way we did against Hawthorn —and that’s a good word to describe it — was really disappointing.

The thing with this game is that when the opposition kicks a goal, it goes back to the centre and you get another opportunity to jump in after it and put pressure on, to keep it in your forward line or defend it and we just lost our way there.

We were walking around aimlessly which we were disappointed in. There were people walking around just lost in the moment and not coming back to the team. That’s probably more disappointing than the score because that’s a behaviour that we’ve got to fix up and deal with.

I saw some experienced players lost in their actions and I saw some young players seeing those behaviours and getting caught up in it also.

When you follow this game and you go on champion data and go back in time and look at great players in their first, second and third year, look at their output and marry it up against young players on our list, you won’t see much difference.

The reality of the competition is, until they mature physically, and then they mature mentally, then their output in their fourth or fifth year is pretty much what you get through their career. More often than not, they’re able to duplicate that week to week. It’s just reality.

That is still the area that excites us most about our club.

To keep the morale of the group at a level it needs to be, we will keep coaching honestly with clear feedback. We’ll keep looking for the things the players do well and we’ll keep providing challenges for players with different match-ups and positions.

As part of the management of the Club, we’ll also keep watching the shop floor, the gym room and watching all the little areas of the Club for people that just come to work to get better every day.

Often what people don’t see when a Club has had some average on-field performances — are the wheels that are still wearing internally and the people that are getting better.

There’s still vibrancy at training, there’s still a high standard at training.

We’ll get out of this as our players mature and develop; we will get out of this. It just takes time that is well spent, well planned and well thought out.

Sincerely,

Brendan

jazzadogs
18-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Another well-reasoned letter. Valued insight into his views and how he's going about things.

chef
18-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I saw some experienced players lost in their actions and I saw some young players seeing those behaviours and getting caught up in it also.

Any chance you'll drop them Brendan.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Any chance you'll drop them Brendan.

Who would you see out of the team?

chef
18-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Who would you see out of the team?

Who ever the senior players Macca is talking about.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Let's see how we go at the selection table this week and then look to the deapt of the statement.

Experienced players or not they need to follow directions and meet expectations. I would hope that he is not giving games to layers that do not meet his standard and that will be moved on next year

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Who ever the senior players Macca is talking about.

So do you think McCartney is giving senior players a rather long line of credit? That's what the comment insinuates.
It certainly happened under Rocket , and perhaps does under all coaches at times. Mitch Hahn was one case where in retrospect, things could have been done differently.
Then again, Cross has been much maligned on the boards for a long time. His disposal has actually improved this season.

It's now half way through the year. One would assume he is forming a clearer picture of who reacts under what kind of playing conditions and expect to see some more moves made at the selection table in the second half.

Desipura
18-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Yet some people on here do not see our leadership group as an issue. Theu must be laying the foundations for the younger group.
You would find if we had a strong leadership group some middle tier players would improve their output as well, it has a domino effect on the playing group.
That aside, we need to recruit as many quality footballers on our list as we can.

chef
18-07-2012, 09:06 AM
So do you think McCartney is giving senior players a rather long line of credit? That's what the comment insinuates.

I guess we'll see come selection night. Senior players not doing the right thing and junior players see it and do the same. Wonder who gets dropped?

always right
18-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Yet some people on here do not see our leadership group as an issue. Theu must be laying the foundations for the younger group.
You would find if we had a strong leadership group some middle tier players would improve their output as well, it has a domino effect on the playing group.
That aside, we need to recruit as many quality footballers on our list as we can.

Does "senior players" equal "leadership group"? Probably but not necessarily.

I was intersted in his use of the word "capitulation".....the first time I have heard it uttered this year. From my point of view I would have thought it is a word that could have been trotted out three or four times this season. It's been the most disturbing aspect considering how much McCartney pushed the line pre-season that we would be a difficult team to score against.

McCartney needs to be given time to implement his gameplan. From my point of view we need to see significant improvement in our team by mid season next year or he will come under enormous and justifiable pressure. That doesn't necessarily mean wins on the board but it does mean we need to see development of players and a game style that has been embraced by players and supporters alike.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I guess we'll see come selection night. Senior players not doing the right thing and junior players see it and do the same. Wonder who gets dropped?

Right. I think Cross was a poor example in my previous post as you can never ever question his hunger. The words 'aimless' do not fit with a team that A) has nothing to lose at this point but go out and give it a shot, B) Indicates a weakening in resolve or confidence in the way we are moving forward or C) Begs the question of our fitness and ability to play out a game. Actually the more I think about it, the more it baffles me as it was the skippers 200th and that's something to get up for.

DragzLS1
18-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Cross and Boyd I would never question along with Picken.

The senior players he was talking about may be refering to Sherman ect..

Lets see what changes he makes this week at the selectors table