PDA

View Full Version : Maple thrives at Bulldogs

Hotdog60
19-07-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2012/07/17/mapes1.jpg

FOLLOWING his coaching ambitions hasn't always been an easy decision for Western Bulldogs development manager Chris Maple.

The 42-year-old, now one of Brendan McCartney's key assistants at the Whitten Oval, knows firsthand that life can change pretty quickly.

Originally a physical education teacher at Ballarat High School, Maple had just accepted the role of vice-principal when two days later he received another tempting offer.

After a decorated coaching career at country level and two years as an assistant to Gerard Fitzgerald at the North Ballarat Rebels, Maple was offered the top job at the TAC Cup powerhouse.

"It was pretty tough," Maple said.

"Both roles needed a pretty big commitment, and I was probably working about 80-odd hours a week."

But not only did Maple find time to fulfil both jobs with aplomb, he gained a reputation that soon had the Western Bulldogs calling.

While he admits he was somewhat lucky to get a chance at AFL level, Maple appears at home in his role helping to develop the Bulldogs' young list.

"When you think about it, coaching is teaching," he said.

"You're teaching technique, you're teaching tactics and how to become a better person.

"At school you learn that different kids respond to different things, and players are just the same."

Maple's coaching career began at Tatyoon in the Mininera league, before he led Buninyong to a drought-breaking Central Highlands league flag in 2002.

Along the way he also took charge of the Ballarat High School first XVIII, inspiring a side that contained future Hawthorn star Brad Sewell to its first premiership in more than 50 years.

Though his role is vastly different at the Bulldogs, Maple said his grounding at country level had been invaluable.

"As a country coach, you're the head of recruiting, a psychologist, the social function organiser - you do everything," he said.

"It teaches you how to do a variety of things."

While Maple still lives in Ballarat, the trek into work is made considerably easier by the fact he loves what he is doing.

"The opportunities day-to-day are pretty amazing. This afternoon I was working with Ryan Griffen and Adam Cooney, two of the elite players in the competition," he said.
LINK (http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2012/07/19/511081_latest-news.html)

comrade
19-07-2012, 02:07 PM
I'd love to see our younger players thrive as much as Maple is.

Desipura
19-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Shows an article after a win, "syrup" can then tell us how well we are nurturing the kids. It may or may not be true, at least it is after a win and everyone is happy.

westdog54
19-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Tatyoon is a pretty well drilled outfit in the MDFL, they're a powerful club for such a small town.

Maddog37
19-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd love to see our younger players thrive as much as Maple is.

Libba, Dahl and Wallis are going ok. Jones, Ruff and Cordy have shown patches for big boys.

Go_Dogs
19-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Libba, Dahl and Wallis are going ok. Jones, Ruff and Cordy have shown patches for big boys.

Agreed. The first three are just about in our top 5 midfield contributors across the season, not bad for 2nd year players. Jury still out on the big guys, but they are still growing into their bodies.

Overall, not a bad article. I didn't really know much about Maple, interesting to read he's got a teaching background too.