PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs re-branding??

AndrewP6
19-07-2012, 11:10 PM
From AFL.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142040/default.aspx

divvydan
20-07-2012, 12:32 AM
I do like the aggressiveness.

Cyberdoggie
20-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I like it, as long as it doesn't come in a white away version! :p

LostDoggy
20-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I really like it, a little more traditional I think, shows our history a bit more than 'robodog'.

Murphy'sLore
20-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I like it too, though I have to say both my kids bemoaned the possible loss of robo-dog. But this one is a lot more "doggy" really.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-07-2012, 10:47 AM
I too also like it very much, just a thought should we add a dog tag and collar and stamp EJ on it to remember the best football our club has ever had or CS as the best and fairest is named after him?

Ghost Dog
20-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Definitely we should use Dogs as a marketing strategy. People love puppies and Dogs. They look great on posters and other products. It's not as easy to market a swan or a crow, or.....power?

Cyberdoggie
20-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Definitely we should use Dogs as a marketing strategy. People love puppies and Dogs. They look great on posters and other products. It's not as easy to market a swan or a crow, or.....power?

Too true,

How many of us have wanted to have a bulldog as a pet at some stage of their lives and call it EJ?

It can't be just me.....

You can't exactly go ask you parents for a swan, a giant or a blue now can you!

Sockeye Salmon
20-07-2012, 01:08 PM

I had plenty of Blues with my old man

Ghost Dog
20-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Should we not have some arrangement with Lort Smith Animal hospital? That would be a good connection!
Or connection with RSPCA. PAL puppy food??

Desipura
20-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I had plenty of Blues with my old man
And you probably asked for it!

MrMahatma
20-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Looks great

Ghost Dog
20-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Looks great

I'm not sure. But it might grow on me. Regardless, good to see the club is not sitting on it's hands. One good thing about it, is it does look dynamic. I'd ove to see us go with something more traditional, like an Arsenal or Chelsea logo.
I can't imagine Man U or Inter Milan or other power house clubs having something so 'anime'.
Tradition! Love the hoops and hard to imagine us with any other jumper now

immortalmike
20-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Too true,

How many of us have wanted to have a bulldog as a pet at some stage of their lives and call it EJ?

It can't be just me.....

I wanted to get a Bulldog and call it "Johnno" does that count..?

On the logo. I like it, the Robo-dog looks too 90s, this looks traditional and updated at the same time.

Greystache
20-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Too true,

It can't be just me.....

I've got one called Griff.

I'm not old enough to have seen EJ, I actually don't remember that much of him while he was alive.

Remi Moses
20-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Good to see the constipated cat get the flick!

The Underdog
20-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I love the idea of a re-brand and like the logo on the whole (if not the font)

angelopetraglia
20-07-2012, 05:00 PM
A massive improvement. Thumbs up.

WBFC4FFC
20-07-2012, 06:46 PM
A definite improvement but they should remove "Since" and have "Est.".

Personally, I reckon they should use that retro logo they had on the jumpers against the Cat's, with the addition of "western Bulldogs", as it has FFC on it already, which displays the club's history.

PS: If the can get the motto Cede Nullis on it somehow, it would be great (but then the logo may appear to be too busy, which would obviously be a set-back
).

chef
20-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I think the robodog looks better and will be sad to see it go.

AndrewP6
20-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not a fan, to be honest. I think they should stick with Robodog.

MrMahatma
20-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure. But it might grow on me. Regardless, good to see the club is not sitting on it's hands. One good thing about it, is it does look dynamic. I'd ove to see us go with something more traditional, like an Arsenal or Chelsea logo.
I can't imagine Man U or Inter Milan or other power house clubs having something so 'anime'.
Maybe. Logo is only part of the brand though.

Soccer teams tend to have traditional logos but then change jumpers every year almost. Think Chelsea had a fluro yellow away one a year or so back...?

Rocco Jones
20-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Like the hoops jumper, seems like the 90% majority like it. Of course some people will prefer the style of the Robodog, but some people also think it's a good idea to wear clothes made by Ed Hardy.

Scraggers
20-07-2012, 10:00 PM
I wonder if the timing of the new logo is something to do with the game in Brittain ??

soupman
21-07-2012, 01:27 AM
I wonder if the timing of the new logo is something to do with the game in Brittain ??

I think you're reading too much into it. I'd say they have absolutely no connection.

chef
21-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Like the hoops jumper, seems like the 90% majority like it. Of course some people will prefer the style of the Robodog, but some people also think it's a good idea to wear clothes made by Ed Hardy.

That comes across as a bit arrogant.

I like the robodog so I must be a bogan:confused: Go figure.

The way I see it is you get fans from either winning or kids liking your brand, kids loved the robodog.

w3design
21-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I like better than robo dog. Love the fact it has our foundation of the club year on it .
Is there a picture of what the new logo looks like on the jumper.

azabob
21-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm not a fan, to be honest. I think they should stick with Robodog.

I can take or leave robo dog, more leave it, but don't like the new proposed logo or Ed Hardy.

Maddog37
21-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I like it. It looked good in context when they showed it in the paper. Easily recognizable.

Ghost Dog
21-07-2012, 12:31 PM
The new trend towards 'anime' style logos ( richmond, Hawthorn away strip ) is not the direction I would head personally on jumpers.
I prefer for example, the Brisbane Anniversary top, Port Adelaide, Freo, just a plain, more traditional look, with the cute logo thing to be used in apparel or at most, as a small logo where needed.
However, if we are trying to appeal to the youth market, maybe it IS a good idea.

Eastdog
21-07-2012, 12:36 PM

With the hoops which is our traditional jumper can't see us going back either. The new logo for a change looks good especially it having the year 1883 when we were founded but I'm used to the robo-dog logo as we have had it for a while so I'm on the fence both the new and old one look good. Richmond changed their logo recently as well.

Rocco Jones
21-07-2012, 03:17 PM
That comes across as a bit arrogant.

I like the robodog so I must be a bogan:confused: Go figure.

The way I see it is you get fans from either winning or kids liking your brand, kids loved the robodog.

I never said robodog fans like Ed Hardy. Just that taste in fashion/style is all relative and you can't please everyone. I (and it seems you!) think Ed Hardy clothes are repulsive but there are still people who buy them.

The logo could be the greatest thing on earth and there would still be people who thinks it looks terrible.

On getting new fans by doing what kids like...

Why don't we go with a Bulldog in a rocket drawn with a crayon? Thinking kids will like the robodog, carry that through to adulthood and then get a membership is a bit far fetched. If kids like it, what about teenagers? It is very 'try hard' looking and lame IMO and they hate that crap!

I teach kids. They are about three things and logos aren't one of them IMO. In order.

1- WINNING. This is simply enormous.

2- Someone to take them to games. If you really wanna get kids in this is the thing we can do 'easiest'. Have a program were you basically have child care + getting kid to a game in one with kids from the West going to Dogs games.

3- Friends about that is blended in with the top two.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another point is going with gimmicks over traditional elements to attract new members.

We wonder why we have had issues retaining members!

bornadog
21-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I like better than robo dog. Love the fact it has our foundation of the club year on it .
Is there a picture of what the new logo looks like on the jumper.

I doubt it will be on our jumper, maybe as a small emblem but not dominating like Robo

Eastdog
21-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I doubt it will be on our jumper, maybe as a small emblem but not dominating like Robo

The small emblem on the jumper would be good as well but its not essential.

F'scary
22-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I like Robodog as a costume character who runs on the ground before the match and goes to family day functions, etc and he should be retained for that.

But as a picture on a flag, a guernsey or a poster, I like the more traditional (pre WB rebranding) stuff (e.g., WEG) and the one they registered ticks the right boxes with me.

F'scary
22-07-2012, 12:31 PM
To be honest, the robodog emblem is just too 'this is the breed that mauls small children in parks' - that's right, it doesn't even look like a bulldog, it is a pit bull. None of the magic of the traditional cartoon characters that clubs have used in the past. A bulldog is the loveable character they used to walk out onto the ground on a leash before the game at the Western Oval. It's a bit Winston Churchill. Robodog is too UFC.

Also, what is Ed Murphy clothing?

AndrewP6
22-07-2012, 01:35 PM
To be honest, the robodog emblem is just too 'this is the breed that mauls small children in parks' - that's right, it doesn't even look like a bulldog, it is a pit bull. None of the magic of the traditional cartoon characters that clubs have used in the past. A bulldog is the loveable character they used to walk out onto the ground on a leash before the game at the Western Oval. It's a bit Winston Churchill. Robodog is too UFC.

Also, what is Ed Murphy clothing?

Ed Hardy is a clothing label, popular with celebrities and wannabe 'cool people' - the shop in Melbourne is in Chapel St, South Yarra. Founded by American tattooist/artist Don Ed Hardy. The company produces clothing and accessories with designs inspired by Hardy's work.

http://www.donedhardyy.com/upimages/1245679968ed-hardy-man-long-tee27.jpg

Maddog37
22-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Aaaaaagh my eyes, they burn!!

AndrewP6
22-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Aaaaaagh my eyes, they burn!!

Hahah... just in case you're wondering, that isn't me or my shirt.

Maddog37
22-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Hahah... just in case you're wondering, that isn't me or my shirt.

C'mon we know when no one else is home you dress up in your Ed Hardy!:D

LostDoggy
22-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I love it!! Please change to this logo

F'scary
22-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Ed Hardy is a clothing label, popular with celebrities and wannabe 'cool people' - the shop in Melbourne is in Chapel St, South Yarra. Founded by American tattooist/artist Don Ed Hardy. The company produces clothing and accessories with designs inspired by Hardy's work.

http://www.donedhardyy.com/upimages/1245679968ed-hardy-man-long-tee27.jpg

Thanks Andrew. The photo was very instructive. What is it they say about a picture and 1000 words? And (from your postings) not you style either.:cool:

AndrewP6
22-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks Andrew. The photo was very instructive. What is it they say about a picture and 1000 words? And (from your postings) not you style either.:cool:

Hahah... I take that as a compliment (I think :confused:). I don't mind some of the EH designs, but they're definitely for the cool people, and I'm not sure I fit that mould.

chef
23-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Hahah... I take that as a compliment (I think :confused:). I don't mind some of the EH designs, but they're definitely for the cool people, and I'm not sure I fit that mould.

I wouldn't call them cool, bogan springs to mind.

LostDoggy
23-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't call them cool, bogan springs to mind.

So true

HOSE B ROMERO
23-07-2012, 10:12 PM
I can take or leave robo dog, more leave it, but don't like the new proposed logo or Ed Hardy.

I like the look of the logo.
I know nothing of Ed Hardy.
I used to live around the corner from Mary Hardy in Middle Park and as a youngster in the early 70's, i used to enjoy watching World Championship Wrestling and seeing 'Kid' Hardy getting battered from pillar to post....

LostDoggy
23-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I would rather see the club concentrate on building a successful team rather than worry about peripheral things like new logos.

LostDoggy
23-07-2012, 11:40 PM
It's missing FFC , other than that i like the change

mighty_west
24-07-2012, 12:19 AM
About time, the yawning cat/robotic dog is god damn aweful.

Dancin' Douggy
24-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Tradition Tradition Tradition.

Anything new will date.
Appealing to kids is the job of game day mascots and side projects.

The club should be represented by strong traditional symbols.
They should seem to come from a time and a place when marketing wasn't a word yet.
They should seem to have appeared out of the ether.

Getting graphic designers involved is a horrendous mistake (and I'm a graphic designer by training)Go through the archives and find the strongest looking bulldog image from the past and stick with it.

I think Richmond and Brisbane have both made terrible mistakes by updating their lion and tiger.
They just look weaker and friendlier. What a waste of money.

BulldogBelle
24-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I would rather see the club concentrate on building a successful team rather than worry about peripheral things like new logos.

Agree

But given the club probably wont be playing finals for a few seaons, our membership probably wont exceed 30k the club is most likely looking for other ways of increasing revenue

Changing our logo will boost merchandise sales as supporters may want to have merchandise with the updated logo

Same as the jumper change this season probably boosted revenue

soupman
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
According to twitter we have just signed up as the first international client of digital marketing firm row27

bornadog
02-08-2012, 11:58 AM
According to twitter we have just signed up as the first international client of digital marketing firm row27

http://row27.com/about