PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs to play in London

divvydan
20-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Western Bulldogs will play Port Adelaide in London this year on November 3rd having reached an agreement with Surrey CCC.

Not really sure what to think of this.

Twodogs
20-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Brilliant. An opportunity to lose another game. I was hoping we'd only lose 17 this year.

Eastdog
20-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I guess they do it to promote our game in the UK but they don't really understand our game as Soccer, Rugby and Cricket are their main sports. AFL always will be our game.

G-Mo77
20-07-2012, 12:27 PM
An extra chance for someone to clock Pearce.

DragzLS1
20-07-2012, 12:36 PM
An extra chance for someone to clock Pearce.

lmao

Ghost Dog
20-07-2012, 12:40 PM
What's in it for us? any financial benefit?

divvydan
20-07-2012, 12:42 PM
More details here http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142068/default.aspx

SonofScray
20-07-2012, 01:10 PM
The British Bulldogs.

Not a bad idea, a bit of extra exposure out of season.

Scraggers
20-07-2012, 01:39 PM
The British Bulldogs.

Not a bad idea, a bit of extra exposure out of season.

Exactly ... You would think those British people looking to get into our great game, would show an affinity to the Bulldog.

This is a great way to promote the club ... We have to look outside the western suburbs if Melbourne. It's a national game, with an international focus.

With the amount of ex-pat British moving to Australia, it has to be a positive move.

LostDoggy
20-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Here is the blockbuster we asked for.
Add it to same nab cup round 1 fixture as this year in western Sydney with the giants and pies.

We should be happy.

FrediKanoute
20-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes......my one and only live game of the season!!!!!!!!!!

The Underdog
20-07-2012, 03:58 PM
What a colossal waste of time. I saw us play at the Oval in 98 and despite it being another excellent excuse to get drunk for backpackers, the game itself is a joke and the only people at it are Australians.

FrediKanoute
20-07-2012, 04:01 PM
What a colossal waste of time. I saw us play at the Oval in 98 and despite it being another excellent excuse to get drunk for backpackers, the game itself is a joke and the only people at it are Australians.

and the problem is??????

Eastdog
20-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I read that article link about this game and there are apparently a lot of countries that play our game obviously at a lower level compared to us.

Remi Moses
20-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Spot on.

Remi Moses
20-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Instead of wasting money on an end of season junket, why don't the AFL use some of the money on teams having their own VFL Teams?

The Underdog
20-07-2012, 04:42 PM
and the problem is??????

Look, it's great for you as someone who deosn't get to see them play live. You get to see the u20's go through the motions in Bulldogs jumpers. But if the idea is that we are playing a game overseas to try and reach a new audience then it's a failed one. If they aren't interested in it before then they sure won't be after watching a game played off-season with no intensity by kids.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't think this is a negative in any way for the club.

Few pessimists here.

If you're talking about the expansion/promotion of the game in other countries, I agree with you, but who could give a stuff about that?

It's an opportunity for the group to travel and do something a little different. I'd hope we only play the young kids -- even better for them.

westdog54
20-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Instead of wasting money on an end of season junket, why don't the AFL use some of the money on teams having their own VFL Teams?

Because that's a strategic decision for clubs to make.

bornadog
20-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Look, it's great for you as someone who deosn't get to see them play live. You get to see the u20's go through the motions in Bulldogs jumpers. But if the idea is that we are playing a game overseas to try and reach a new audience then it's a failed one. If they aren't interested in it before then they sure won't be after watching a game played off-season with no intensity by kids.

Chill out, not the end of the world and a bit of publicity for the club.

As long as it doesn't end up like this::D

Y-EuY8ZHaoI

The Underdog
20-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't think this is a negative in any way for the club.

Few pessimists here.

If you're talking about the expansion/promotion of the game in other countries, I agree with you, but who could give a stuff about that?

It's an opportunity for the group to travel and do something a little different. I'd hope we only play the young kids -- even better for them.

I don't think it's negative for the club, just a pointless junket all in all. And as it is basically ignored here and overseas, it has bugger all publicity value.
I don't have a with the the club being involved, I just don't understand why it is there at all.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Do we think it is a case that the AFL are paying for the players end f season trip as long as they play a game for the POM's?

I can't see much harm in it as it will give the players anther game a "AFL" level. I just hope that BMac and the coaching staff don't let effect the recurtment process.

craigsahibee
24-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I hope Danyle Pearce shouts his Mum a trip to London for Will's benefit ;-)

AndrewP6
24-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I wonder if Liz and Phil will go...