PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 18 vs St Kilda

Greystache
21-07-2012, 01:58 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the game against St Kilda next Sunday night at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would be good

Remi Moses
22-07-2012, 12:18 AM
In Jones Johanssien( good game tomorrow he comes in)
Out Cordy ( can't get near it) Higgins inj( thought he was very good until hurt:(

bornadog
22-07-2012, 12:25 AM
In Jones Johanssien( good game tomorrow he comes in)
Out Cordy ( can't get near it) Higgins inj( thought he was very good until hurt:(

Higgins will be out for 4 weeks with a hammy

jazzadogs
22-07-2012, 12:55 AM
People I would like to see in if fit: Jones, JJ, Dickson, Hargrave, Cooney, Smith (not all at once)

Players I would be content to see dropped: Cordy, Gilbee, Higgins (only due to injury), DJ

A swap of DJ for JJ, if JJ is available. Otherwise keep DJ in, at least he harasses.

Jones for Cordy.

Dickson for Higgins.

Hargrave for Gilbee (with Gilbee to only return for a farewell game, if form warrants it).

J Grant needs to be persisted with for at least 3-4 weeks. Same with Vez, who is the same age as Wood and shows similar upside IMO.

G-Mo77
22-07-2012, 01:01 AM

He's put together some really good football over the last 3 -4 weeks. Such a kick in the teeth for him. The body is constantly letting him down.

Eastdog
22-07-2012, 01:03 AM

It must be so frustrating for Higgins as soon as he gathers some good form.

GVGjr
22-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I would bring in Hargrave, Cooney (if available) Dickson and Jones and drop Veszpremi, Higgins (inj) Gilbee and Cordy.
Hargrave still has the pace to play and Dickson and Jones will be part of a new forward set-up
Gilbee isn't the answer at the moment, Veszpremi was disappointing and Cody isn't imposing himself on the game.

I want to see a forward line of
Dahlhaus Grant Tutt
Williams Jones Dickson

G-Mo77
22-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Dahlhaus Williams Tutt
Grant Jones Dickson

Agree but like Williams up the ground rather than deep. He didn't seem to roam as freely in the 2nd half and looked to play deeper which didn't suit him.

Eastdog
22-07-2012, 01:17 AM
A shame Matthew Panos probably won't debut this year as of course we was elevated from the rookie list. Where do you guys see the future of Zeph Skinner. Will he feature again in 2012?

GVGjr
22-07-2012, 01:30 AM
A shame Matthew Panos probably won't debut this year as of course we was elevated from the rookie list. Where do you guys see the future of Zeph Skinner. Will he feature again in 2012?

If Skinner gets some good games at Williamstown he is a chance to play other than that though the form Williams up forward might have locked him out.

jazzadogs
22-07-2012, 01:36 AM
If Skinner gets some good games at Williamstown he is a chance to play other than that though the form Williams up forward might have locked him out.
I think one of the toughest things for the club at the moment is trying to give our talls opportunity, without making the side top-heavy.

Panos, Jones, Roughead, Campbell, Markovic (I don't really see Skinner as a tall) all didn't play this week. But with Austin, Lake, Williams, Minson, Cordy in the side, we can't really afford to put too many more talls in. The rotation policy Macca seems to have been implementing has worked in parts, but it does make things tricky.

Roughead swap with Austin, give him another try in defence? He didn't look out of place when he went down there against the Demons...

Mantis
22-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Roughead swap with Austin, give him another try in defence? He didn't look out of place when he went down there against the Demons...

So Roughead plays on Riewoldt?

(Assuming Lake takes Kosi)

GVGjr
22-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Agree but like Williams up the ground rather than deep. He didn't seem to roam as freely in the 2nd half and looked to play deeper which didn't suit him.

That's probably a good point. Williams is doing a good job and I didn't think his decision making as a forward would be as good as it has been.
It's early days but I'm hoping he can continue on with it.

Maddog37
22-07-2012, 10:26 AM
His kicking skills look good too.

Desipura
22-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I would bring in Hargrave, Cooney (if available) Dickson and Jones and drop Veszpremi, Higgins (inj) Gilbee and Cordy.
Hargrave still has the pace to play and Dickson and Jones will be part of a new forward set-up
Gilbee isn't the answer at the moment, Veszpremi was disappointing and Cody isn't imposing himself on the game.

Dahlhaus Grant Tutt
Williams Jones Dickson

Given they will not try Panos at full forward, I don't mine this forward line. I would swap Grant and Williams positions.
As stated, Williams is best suited at CHF.

The Underdog
22-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Dahlhaus Grant Tutt
Williams Jones Dickson

I like it, although think Williams or Jones need to swap with Grant at CHF and Gia probably has to fit in there somewhere. That also gives us Williams, Jones and Dickson who are strong leading up to the ball carrier and Grant and Dahlhaus who are our 2 best crumbing forwards.
I like Cordy but think he still has a bit of baby giraffe around him. I don't think he'll put it all together for a year or two from a coordination perspective, but worth perservering with long term, albeit in the VFL for a few weeks.
Shame for Higgins, thought he was good against Hawthorn and really starting to recapture some form.

GVGjr
22-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Given they will not try Panos at full forward, I don't mine this forward line. I would swap Grant and Williams positions.
As stated, Williams is best suited at CHF.

Would you put Panos in ahead of Jones? To me Panos just has enough limitations to mean that getting to 10 or 20 games will be a struggle. Despite some form issues for Jones I have now doubt that he can become a very good player.

chef
22-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Williams has to play on Roo doesn't he?

The Underdog
22-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Probably a mix of him and Austin, given neither will have the fitness to run with him all game. There aren't really any other options on the list.

Desipura
22-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Would you put Panos in ahead of Jones? To me Panos just has enough limitations to mean that getting to 10 or 20 games will be a struggle. Despite some form issues for Jones I have now doubt that he can become a very good player.

Most certainly not, Jones is who we should be basing our forwardline around. Panos should have been played when Grant was out IMHO

w3design
22-07-2012, 10:14 PM

Yes for sure. Does that open a door for Panos at last?

Mantis
22-07-2012, 11:42 PM

So we give up on the Williams forward experiment or just shelve it this week?

G-Mo77
23-07-2012, 01:06 AM

I wouldn't shelve it for the week either I'd give him the CHF role for the rest of the year. I'm happy to let Austin try and go with Riewoldt. I'm also happy to promote a guy like Roberts to assist if that is needed.

chef
23-07-2012, 08:52 AM

I guess it depends on if the coach wants to win or educate.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2012, 09:29 AM

I guess it depends on if the coach wants to win or educate.

I guess that means Willians will play forward.

If the coach thinks Roughead can be a key back he has the perfect opportunity to play him there this week on Kosi.

I would play Lake on Riewoldt.

The Underdog
23-07-2012, 09:53 AM
I guess that means Willians will play forward.

If the coach thinks Roughead can be a key back he has the perfect opportunity to play him there this week on Kosi.

I would play Lake on Riewoldt.

Roughead is way too slow to play on Riewoldt. I struggle to see how Roughy can play as a key defender long term. Maybe on a resting ruck but most key forwards will be too quick for him.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Roughead is way too slow to play on Riewoldt. I struggle to see how Roughy can play as a key defender long term. Maybe on a resting ruck but most key forwards will be too quick for him.

I don't disagree with you, but the coach apparently believes that Roughead can be a key defender and to be fair he did go ok on Mitch Clark. Kosi would be the sort of match up he needs to be able to do if he is ever a chance at the role.

Sockeye Salmon
23-07-2012, 10:22 AM

He did say Roughead on Kosi.

If Roughead can't play on Kosi then he can't play as a defender, he won't get a more perfect matchup.

Mofra
23-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes for sure. Does that open a door for Panos at last?
I may be on my lonesome, but I don't see Panos making the transition to AFL level.

bulldogsman
23-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I may be on my lonesome, but I don't see Panos making the transition to AFL level.

It's looking that way.
I don't think he's improved much on last year which is disappointing.

G-Mo77
23-07-2012, 11:31 AM

No you're not on your own. I have my doubts as well but would still like to try him out at AFL level to see what we have. I watched Cordy, our FF, take a mark 40M out in the first quarter take his shot and not even make the distance. Panos would have put it right through the middle. He's done enough at the VFL to get a call up, give him a shot. What else do we have to lose?

bornadog
23-07-2012, 12:59 PM

After watching Willi yesterday, I think you are right.

The Underdog
23-07-2012, 01:12 PM

If Roughead can't play on Kosi then he can't play as a defender, he won't get a more perfect matchup.

My bad, misread it. You are right, Kosi is an ok matchup for Roughhead, but given Lake never takes the primary forward we still need a matchup for Riewoldt (Austin or Williams) and Lake would take Siposs

Desipura
23-07-2012, 01:20 PM
In: Cooney, JJ, Jones, Hargrave & Roughy
Out: DJ, Gilbee, Higgins Cordy & Ves

Dickson for Cooney if he is not right.

Ozza
23-07-2012, 01:31 PM
In: Dickson; Jones; Wood or Addison (if fit);

Out: Higgins (Inj.), Cordy; Gilbee;

G-Mo77
23-07-2012, 01:35 PM
In: Dickson; Jones; Wood or Addison (if fit);

Out: Higgins (Inj.), Cordy; Gilbee;

Dylan gets potted a lot on this board but it would have been great to have him in there to shut down that little rat Betts. It'd be nice to have him in for Milne this week.

Mantis
23-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Dylan gets potted a lot on this board but it would have been great to have him in there to shut down that little rat Betts. It'd be nice to have him in for Milne this week.

Not a chance.

Dylan has the turning circle of a truck and can't play on quick & agile opponents... You can't remember the mess Ash McGrath made of him?

G-Mo77
23-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Not a chance.

Dylan has the turning circle of a truck and can't play on quick & agile opponents... You can't remember the mess Ash McGrath made of him?

Sadly I do. McGrath's a different player though and ran him all over the ground. Apart from Morris, Dylan's our best small defender.

Mantis
23-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Sadly I do. McGrath's a different player though and ran him all over the ground. Apart from Morris, Dylan's our best small defender.

Murphy is a much better defender than Addison... which is why he is picking up the opposing teams best small forward, but sadly this is robbing us of the creative flair that Bob offers.

Greystache
23-07-2012, 03:43 PM
In- Jones, JJ, Hargrave, Dickson

Out- Cordy, DJ, Gilbee, Higgins

SlimPickens
23-07-2012, 04:35 PM
In- Jones, JJ, Hargrave, Dickson

Out- Cordy, DJ, Gilbee, Higgins

Agree with this, shame Higgins got injured was really showing some solid intent and performing quite well.

ReLoad
23-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I just don't get it, why are people asking for Shaggy to be back in the side?
Surely we are better off putting games into a kid?

Rocco Jones
23-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Definitely not on your own. He is a forward pocket/full forward decoy throwback from the 80s. I have never rated him. Fans of him will bring up the 'what about Pods?' thing. Pods tore the VFL apart, I don't think Panos is anything more than a good ordinary player at VFL level.

Maddog37
23-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Has Shaggy got a history of playing ok on Milne?

westbulldog
23-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Outs : Gia Cordy Vez Gilbee Higgins (inj)
Ins : Dickson Hargrave Cooney Jones JJ

LostDoggy
23-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Lot of yo-yos this season. Out one back next. Another criticism of our taskmaster.

azabob
25-07-2012, 11:30 AM
JJ upgraded to senior list, likely inclusion one would think.

G-Mo77
25-07-2012, 11:52 AM
JJ upgraded to senior list, likely inclusion one would think.

Dead set certainty. I heard he was pretty good again on the weekend so he's putting it together consistently. Arguably he's been the best WB listed player playing in the VFL. The door is off it's hinges now. Good luck JJ!

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Dead set certainty. I heard he was pretty good again on the weekend so he's putting it together consistently. Arguably he's been the best WB listed player playing in the VFL. The door is off it's hinges now. Good luck JJ!

Please give him a full game and not the sub nonsense. Let him into the heat of battle so we can see what he has got and he can see first hand what is required.

G-Mo77
25-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Please give him a full game and not the sub nonsense. Let him into the heat of battle so we can see what he has got and he can see first hand what is required.

Sunday 3:15. Sub. :o

Completely agree with this though Joe. I hate seeing first gamers sit on the pine for 3 quarters. We've constantly done this since the shit sub rule was introduced.

bulldogsman
25-07-2012, 12:45 PM
In : Jones, Addison, JJ, Dickson, Hargrave, DJ
Out : Cordy, Vez, Pearce, Higgins, Gilbee, Cooney

Give Jones a bit of a run as the 2nd ruck. Helped him last year.

DragzLS1
25-07-2012, 12:50 PM
GO JJ!! He will be the sub no doubt the way Tutt was made the sub.. I do beleive that he will get a fair crack though over the coming few weeks

Ghost Dog
25-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I hate it when a fresh player is made a sub. Just builds nerves. Let him on from the first bounce please!

Cyberdoggie
25-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately someone has to play the sub role, and it's probably an easier decision for the coach to just give that to the new guy because you don't have to make anyone unhappy.

azabob
25-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately someone has to play the sub role, and it's probably an easier decision for the coach to just give that to the new guy because you don't have to make anyone unhappy.

If that is the case, that is a massive cop out.

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't understand the calls for Cordy to go out this week.

I only watched on replay, but Cordy appeared to be playing around CHF and he moved better, he blocked and dished off and to me it looked like his best game.

Having said that there is history this year of keeping players while their form is poor and then dropping them when they show something.

KT31
26-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't understand the calls for Cordy to go out this week.

I only watched on replay, but Cordy appeared to be playing around CHF and he moved better, he blocked and dished off and to me it looked like his best game.

Having said that there is history this year of keeping players while their form is poor and then dropping them when they show something.

No use in dropping Cordy, or any other young bloke for that matter.
Get as many games into them as posible , play them in different roles, see what they have to offer and get a idea if they belong on the list or not.

neddie
26-07-2012, 12:09 PM
No use in dropping Cordy, or any other young bloke for that matter.
Get as many games into them as posible , play them in different roles, see what they have to offer and get a idea if they belong on the list or not.
Agree,no point in playing Cooney,Hargrave or Gilbee,congrats.to JJ.

jeemak
26-07-2012, 03:01 PM
In - Jones, Cooney, JJ

Out - Cordy, DJ, Higgins

I would like to see Ayce snag a few in the VFL, though I'd be just as happy to keep him in. If we do keep him in I'd still bring in Jones, have Williams play on Riewoldt and have Austin come out of the side.

A little light on in the ruck, perhaps Roughead can come in to play on Kosi and share some of the ruck duties if required. If we did that, then Cordy would have to miss.

The Pie Man
26-07-2012, 03:38 PM
In: Jones, JJ, Dickson, Addison
Out: Cordy, DJ, Higgins, Pearce

I am hoping that they resist the temptation to play Williams on Riewoldt - Jones needs to play deep with Williams CHF and Grant drifting back & forth. Not too worried about leaking goals in defence, we need to work on the forward 50 more in what will very likely be a comfortable with to the Saints.

The Pie Man
26-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Spew - Austin confirmed out for the year with a wrist injury

Revised changes

In: Jones, JJ, Dickson, Addison, Roberts
Out: Cordy, DJ, Higgins, Pearce, Austin

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Shitty news isn't it! Roberts would be a really good chance to make his debut now.

Maddog37
26-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Gees Austin is unlucky with injuries. How do you factor that in when assessing his possible elevation? Surely it would not be a positive.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Revised changes

In: Jones, JJ, Dickson, Addison, Roberts
Out: Cordy, DJ, Higgins, Pearce, Austin

Either Williams has to go back, or Roughead will come in to take their resting ruckman/Kosi.

I think Hargrave will now be an inclusion and once more forced to play tall:mad:.

chef
26-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Either Williams has to go back, or Roughead will come in to take their resting ruckman/Kosi.

I think Hargrave will now be an inclusion and once more forced to play tall:mad:.

Or we could debut Roberts.

jazzadogs
26-07-2012, 05:57 PM
So Roughead plays on Riewoldt?

(Assuming Lake takes Kosi)
I wouldn't be upset to see Roughead come in and play on Kosi, with Williams down back to play on Riewoldt.

Panos can come in and play the role that Williams did last week, with Cordy or Jones at CHF (preferably Jones).

bornadog
26-07-2012, 05:59 PM

yes thats possible to

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Which is the way I would be leaning.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 06:00 PM
I wonder if Skinner will get selected again this year. As jazzadogs said it would be great to see Panos come into the side.

Hotdog60
26-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Panos may come in as a back

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Or we could play 3 ruck again with Cordy

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Panos may come in as a back

I would much rather Roberts

bornadog
26-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Official

In: Addison, Hargrave Roughead, Jones, JJ, Smith and Dickson

Out: Higgins, Cordy, Austin, DJ,

Greystache
26-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Official

In: Addison, Hargrave Roughead, Jones, JJ, Smith and Dickson

Out: Higgins, Cordy, Austin, DJ,

Seems about right, although I assume Roughead will play in defence in which case I'd prefer to have given Roberts a taste, although maybe next week is better.

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Bench is addison, Gia, Roughead, Hargrave, jj,liber and dahlhouse

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Dahlhaus not starting.

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Dahlhaus not starting.

He has played all 16 games hasn't he? He's only 19, might be time he got a rest.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2012, 08:21 PM

We know Gia, Libba and Dahlhaus will play so only one of Addison, Roughead, JJ and Hargrave is in.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 08:27 PM
He has played all 16 games hasn't he? He's only 19, might be time he got a rest.

Fair point. It's coming towards the end of the season and we are well and truly out of the finals race.

chef
26-07-2012, 08:28 PM
We know Gia, Libba and Dahlhaus will play so only one of Addison, Roughead, JJ and Hargrave is in.

Hope it's JJ, but I think it will be Roughead.

Maddog37
26-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Supercoach team says no!!!!!!

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 09:33 PM

I don't see the point promoting JJ then not playing him but anything is possible with selections this year.
Prefer Hargrave over Addison.

F'scary
26-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Or we could play 3 ruck again with Cordy

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

JohnGentStand
26-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon

My bad, misread it. You are right, Kosi is an ok matchup for Roughhead, but given Lake never takes the primary forward we still need a matchup for Riewoldt (Austin or Williams) and Lake would take Siposs

:confused:since when doesnt Lake take on the best??? Sure he doesnt play CHB but as soon as the best approach goal he is "the man'

Looking at the players named on the bench this week I cant help thinking we may have a late withdrawal from the starting squad.....

G-Mo77
27-07-2012, 01:43 AM

I thought it was a strange bench when I saw it. Hard to say who goes as there is a pretty strong case for all. Me, personally I'd go Addison simply because we need a small defender for the likes of Tiprat and Saad.

I'm thinking there maybe someone who has those injuries which have bothered us all season, rest and tightness.

bornadog
27-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Final team:

IN: Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones, Clay Smith, Tory Dickson

Out: Shaun Higgins (Hamstring), Ayce Cordy, Nathan Djerrkura, Mark Austin (Wrist)

I really don't know why the MC thinks Vez can play???

bornadog
27-07-2012, 06:23 PM
B: Daniel Pearce, Brian Lake, Robert Murphy

HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Tom L. Williams, Christian Howard

C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen

HF: Jason Tutt, Liam Jones, Jarrad Grant

F: Clay Smith, Tory Dickson, Patrick Veszpremi

Foll: William Minson, Mitchell Wallis, Liam Picken

I/C: Daniel Giansiracusa, Jordan Roughead, Thomas Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus

Emg: Dylan Addison, Ryan Hargrave, Jason Johannisen

In: Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones, Clay Smith, Tory Dickson
Out: Shaun Higgins (Hamstring), Ayce Cordy, Nathan Djerrkura, Mark Austin (Wrist)

chef
27-07-2012, 06:29 PM
What was the point of upgrading JJ?

Eastdog
27-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Who might be this week's sub?

LostDoggy
27-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Who might be this week's sub?

Roughead. We need the extra mobility when one of runners goes down in the 1st quarter.

Seriously can't see Liberatore doing it or Dahlhaus but anything is possible under our taskmaster.
Hoping Gia isn't right, looked awful last week and JJ comes in.
As chef says- what was the point promoting him?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Bit bizarre to upgrade JJ if you're not going to play him.

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Bit bizarre to upgrade JJ if you're not going to play him.

I don't get it!:eek:

GVGjr
27-07-2012, 10:31 PM
What was the point of upgrading JJ?

I think he is a certainty to play next week. If so, does the timing matter?

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 10:34 PM

If he's playing well, why not?Hopefully he gets rested:)

Eastdog
27-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Hopefully Panos and JJ play in the next few weeks. Be good to see these two debut.

bulldogsman
27-07-2012, 10:57 PM

I agree, as long as he plays some time during the year timing shouldn't matter.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2012, 11:29 PM

Well if we get a good performancethis week we may be resting another player after they play well. Not sure what message that sends to the individuals.

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Well if we get a good performancethis week we may be resting another player after they play well. Not sure what message that sends to the individuals.

BJ, every club is resting players it's a real battle of attrition.
Even David Hale got rested tonight, and it's going to come to a stage where players don't play more than 20 games a season.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Final team:

I also get confused as to what the MC sees in Vezpremi. How is this selection supposed to intimidate or cause an issue for the opposition coach?
We are so god awful predictable at times. Can't they mix it up a bit? Murphy or Lake forward, Williams to CHF has worked well.

chef
28-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Do you know this for a fact Gary?

I think he will come in as a late change this week, well that's what I'm hoping.

stefoid
28-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe Guido wont come up.

GVGjr
28-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Do you know this for a fact Gary?

I think he will come in as a late change this week, well that's what I'm hoping.

No not as a fact but I was talking to some friends that indicated that the game against North Melbourne was the most likely one for him to debut. I'm guessing that he would be as happy as just to get the promotion at the moment.

azabob
28-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I also get confused as to what the MC sees in Vezpremi. How is this selection supposed to intimidate or cause an issue for the opposition coach?
We are so god awful predictable at times. Can't they mix it up a bit? Murphy or Lake forward, Williams to CHF has worked well.

Vez can actually use the footy by foot. He improved his fitness dramatically over the Pre season and if he continues improving his fitness I think he will make it.

As you say he is only young, give him time. ;)

Greystache
28-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Final team:

I've always seen Vez as a forward, ye despite being recruited as one for some reason he's never been played there.

I think the MC are throwing him a final lifeline there. If he can't cut it as a forward I'd expect his time in the AFL will be up.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I see St Kilda have turned the 1.03 Frankston train into a 'Celebration of the saints' with music and other stuff happening on the train. Innovative! We should do the same, from the west!
Might have to leave a few stink bombs on board ^_^

Ghost Dog
28-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Vez can actually use the footy by foot. He improved his fitness dramatically over the Pre season and if he continues improving his fitness I think he will make it.

As you say he is only young, give him time. ;)

Actually I did not realize until just now they have him up forward this week! At last!
Well done for the club for trying to mix it up a bit. Will do his confidence the world of good to snag a few goals.

Eastdog
28-07-2012, 12:43 PM
How many debutants have we had this year?

The Underdog
28-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I've always seen Vez as a forward, ye despite being recruited as one for some reason he's never been played there.

I think the MC are throwing him a final lifeline there. If he can't cut it as a forward I'd expect his time in the AFL will be up.

I always thought he had the football nous and finishing skills to play forward. I wondered whether the MC didn't think he had the application to do the defensive work they expect from their forwards. He was also blocked by Gia and Higgins (and Dickson) taking the small leading forward spots. Hopefully they give him a crack at this role and he can take hold of it, otherwise I fear you might be right.

Greystache
28-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I always thought he had the football nous and finishing skills to play forward. I wondered whether the MC didn't think he had the application to do the defensive work they expect from their forwards. He was also blocked by Gia and Higgins (and Dickson) taking the small leading forward spots. Hopefully they give him a crack at this role and he can take hold of it, otherwise I fear you might be right.

I was a little surprised Dickson was ahead of Vez at the start of the season for that midsized forward role, but Dickson has done a very good job since and made it his own.

Neither have especially good fitness bases which restricts their ability to defend, but perhaps the MC saw that Dickson was fat and unfit when drafted, has lost weight and improved his fitness substantially, and would think with another preseason would go to another level again, whereas Vez has been a professional for 5 years and hasn't made great strides in that area so doesn't have the same upside.

The Underdog
28-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I was a little surprised Dickson was ahead of Vez at the start of the season for that midsized forward role, but Dickson has done a very good job since and made it his own.

Neither have especially good fitness bases which restricts their ability to defend, but perhaps the MC saw that Dickson was fat and unfit when drafted, has lost weight and improved his fitness substantially, and would think with another preseason would go to another level again, whereas Vez has been a professional for 5 years and hasn't made great strides in that area so doesn't have the same upside.

I have to say I've been impressed with Dickson's improvement defensively recently. He still needs to impact the scoreboard more frequently but hopefully that will come. Agree I thought Vez would be ahead of Dickson for that role at the start of the season but Dickson has done enough to hold the spot and proved it was a solid choice.

G-Mo77
28-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I've got no idea who they'll go with as the sub. Maybe Smith again?

Late change?

LostDoggy
28-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I've got no idea who they'll go with as the sub. Maybe Smith again?

Late change?

Smith is starting.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2012, 06:07 PM
I have to say I've been impressed with Dickson's improvement defensively recently. He still needs to impact the scoreboard more frequently but hopefully that will come. Agree I thought Vez would be ahead of Dickson for that role at the start of the season but Dickson has done enough to hold the spot and proved it was a solid choice.

One of the best set shots bar Gia.

The Underdog
28-07-2012, 06:34 PM
One of the best set shots bar Gia.

I've actually been slightly disappointed with a few of the relatively easy shots he's missed but that may be more related to his fitness levels as his technique looks solid.

Remi Moses
28-07-2012, 06:47 PM

It's not good enough from Veszpremi to be fit enough after 5 years in the system .
Watched him in the warm up last week and he was blowing heavy to be honest.

G-Mo77
28-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Smith is starting.

The team picked is pretty irrelevant. Smith can still be the sub.

Don't think that Shaggy or JJ played so there will be a late change it seems.

The Underdog
28-07-2012, 07:50 PM
It's not good enough from Veszpremi to be fit enough after 5 years in the system .
Watched him in the warm up last week and he was blowing heavy to be honest.

He certainly looked fit pre-season. Not sure why it continues to be an issue. I suspect he's not naturally an endurance athlete but there's certainly a disconnect somewhere as after 5 years he should have a reasonable base. If he wasn't doing enough work on the track I couldn't imagine he'd be getting picked at all under this regime.

Desipura
28-07-2012, 09:21 PM

This is what I believe as well. Unless, they always viewed him as a forward and the plan was to improve his defensive work as a forward so they played him down back to teach him.

LostDoggy
28-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Highly unlikely. The bench is the bench unless we make a late change. Can't bring someone from on field to be the sub unless you want to pay a fine.

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Highly unlikely. The bench is the bench unless we make a late change. Can't bring someone from on field to be the sub unless you want to pay a fine.

That's not a rule but I can't remember us ever having done it.

G-Mo77
29-07-2012, 12:11 AM

I don't think we've ever done it but any of the players selected can be the sub. Seen it happen before with other teams.

The Underdog
29-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Looking at the fact that JJ didn't play yesterday, and thinking about last week, I wonder if Vez actually may not come up after jarring his knee in the 2nd quarter. I know he played on last week but it's the kind of thing that can get worse once it cools down. There is also the possibility that JJ was kept out to be on standby I suppose.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 01:29 PM
This is what I believe as well. Unless, they always viewed him as a forward and the plan was to improve his defensive work as a forward so they played him down back to teach him.

Didn't work well at all. Vez does not enjoy a contest, he is not hard enough at the ball.

stefoid
29-07-2012, 01:30 PM
If Hargs isnt picked with Austin and Marcovic out, will he ever be?

bornadog
29-07-2012, 01:35 PM
If Hargs isnt picked with Austin and Marcovic out, will he ever be?

Did he play yesterday?

Bulldog Joe
29-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Shaggy did play for Willi yesterday so JJ is the only one who could come into the selected side.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Didn't work well at all. Vez does not enjoy a contest, he is not hard enough at the ball.

I was a fan of Vez and I remember having a few discussions with BAD about whether or not Vez could make it, but I have to agree he has far more flaws than traits. After 5 or so seasons at the elite level, his improvement has been disappointing.

His last chance is to make it as a forward. Funnily enough, I think it might be his best chance. It'll be interesting to see how many players we trade/cut at the year's end. Obviously Vez would be on the cusp, so if he can string a decent 'back end' to the year he could save himself.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I was a fan of Vez and I remember having a few discussions with BAD about whether or not Vez could make it, but I have to agree he has far more flaws than traits. After 5 or so seasons at the elite level, his improvement has been disappointing.

His last chance is to make it as a forward. Funnily enough, I think it might be his best chance. It'll be interesting to see how many players we trade/cut at the year's end. Obviously Vez would be on the cusp, so if he can string a decent 'back end' to the year he could save himself.

If they end up keeping him, he needs to have a massive pre-season. He needs to change his body shape by trimming down and working hard on the training track. He is a beautiful long kick of the ball, and I agree, he needs to show something to the MC that he can make it.

I do prefer him in the forward line, so lets hope he can snag some goals.

G-Mo77
29-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Shaggy did play for Willi yesterday so JJ is the only one who could come into the selected side.

OK. Obviously the guy I knew there had to much to drink. :p