PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 17

GVGjr
22-07-2012, 12:01 AM
This is the round 17 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Carlton has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

azabob
22-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Bankers

1. Williams attacks the ball well and looks comfortable as a forward
2. Dahl kicking four
3. Wallis
4. Tutt kicking a pressure goal after the siren and his long kicking into the forward fifty in general.

Anchors

1. Griffs goal kicking
2. Higgins hammy, was starting to get some consistency
3. Poor disposal when kicking short and sidewards in defence
4. The person who jumped the fence when Dahl was kicking for goal on the boundary in the last.

Special mention out of bounds rule, twice in two weeks I'm confused by that rule, funnily enough both were in the same pocket.

bornadog
22-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Bankers

* Dahl - Live wire and played in his rightful spot, ie in the forward line.

* Williams - Actually looks dangerous up forward, needs to learn to take a contested mark, but I guess he has been punching the ball all his career.

* Lake - Must be all Australian Fullback this year.

Anchors

* Carlton Supporters a pack of morons, jumping the fence and almost impeding Dahls shot at goal (the one that hit the post). Should have had another shot.

* Umpires - no idea. The one against Lake in the opening minutes of the last. What a joke. The deliberate out of bounce against Pearce, another joke. The free to Betts for the so called elbow when he instigated the whole thing. Three shots at goal for nothing.

* The Coach - Playing Murphy on Betts. Moving Griffo from the forward line in the second half. Having faith in DJ, VEZ, Giilbee, who are not up to it and leaving Shaggy out.

bulldogsman
22-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Bankers

Dahlhaus - Looked dangerous
Picken - Tried hard as always and made life hard for his opponent Murphy
Williams - Like him up forward a lot

Anchors

Pearce - Fumbled, made skill errors and struggled defensively. Why did we pick him over Hargarve? Or even JJ?
Vez - I'm going to have to change my avatar
Gia - Slow

always right
22-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Bankers

Dahlhaus....only player in our side with any creativity
Cross....has had a very good season despite the critics on this board. Was brave as usual last night
Williams....we have our new centre half forward. He just needs to stay on the park..

Anchors

Gia.....sad but is now kinda irrelevant
Griffen....pretty good last night but nowadays rarely hurts the opposition. That missed goal on the run in the third, under little pressure, summed it up.
Coaches....lost count of the number of times Carlton had loose players out the back. So much for the claim pre season that we would be difficult to score against
Leadership.....who was prepared to stand up and make a statement when the tide turned in the third term.

LostDoggy
22-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Bankers
Williams....we have our new centre half forward. He just needs to stay on the park..

That's my worry. While he looks good, he is our most injury prone player playing in one of the hardest positions possible.
At the moment he can't do it for 4 quarters, I understand its after coming back from a long spell.

GVGjr
22-07-2012, 11:47 AM
That's my worry. While he looks good, he is our most injury prone player playing in one of the hardest positions possible.
At the moment he can't do it for 4 quarters, I understand its after coming back from a long spell.

Yep, he has a long way to go but most defenders turned forwards can't put 4 quarters together.
What I have been most happy about is that his decision making as a forward has been very good. Perhaps being pitted against some good forwards has given him some ideas of where to run and how to react.

If he can stay injury free I hope we stick with him as a forward for the balance of the season.

F'scary
22-07-2012, 11:52 AM
B: Williams (our new FF / CHF), Dahlhaus, Lake
A: Gia & Gilbee (they're cooked and need to retire), a number of our lesser experienced players who are just not stepping up this year and have me wondering if they ever will, our coaching team is a bit wooden with responding and with selections.

LostDoggy
22-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Yep, he has a long way to go but most defenders turned forwards can't put 4 quarters together.
What I have been most happy about is that his decision making as a forward has been very good. Perhaps being pitted against some good forwards has given him some ideas of where to run and how to react.

If he can stay injury free I hope we stick with him as a forward for the balance of the season.

I'd like to see him against better backs. In 2 weeks he has been on Bower and a hawk back(was it Gibson?) either way neither are the top class backs of the league.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-07-2012, 07:30 PM

The problem with playing Williams as a forward leaves us short of a CHB where both Austin and Markovic are only battlers and hardly good enough against quality forwards. Too much is required of Lake who desperately needs support particularly without the reliability of Morris.

F'scary
22-07-2012, 07:38 PM
The problem with playing Williams as a forward leaves us short of a CHB where both Austin and Markovic are only battlers and hardly good enough against quality forwards. Too much is required of Lake who desperately needs support particularly without the reliability of Morris.

Ok but where are the greater problems? For me one of Marko or Austin plugging CHB is less serious a problem than leaving Cordy or Roughead at full forward where they are complete duds. Jones needs to come back as CHF. Jones should play CHF, partly because I reckon FF will be kinder on William's dicky shoulders.

SlimPickens
22-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Bankers
Dahl, Libba and Wallis- almost going to the footy to watch these lads exclusively.

Anchors
Murphy- Critical turnovers which cost us big time.

Griffen- Needs to work harder defensively.

Clearance work- very ordinary.

Cordy-

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok but where are the greater problems? For me one of Marko or Austin plugging CHB is less serious a problem than leaving Cordy or Roughead at full forward where they are complete duds. Jones needs to come back as CHF. Jones should play CHF, partly because I reckon FF will be kinder on William's dicky shoulders.

I agree on Roughead who is better suited as a ruckman and Cordy whilst Jones has been unconvincing. The only reason Williams is playing up forward is because the others have been so poor. That doesn't alter the fact that Williams is better suited at CHB.

Mantis
22-07-2012, 11:45 PM

And Lake probably only has one more year left too.

Hopefully the likes of Talia and Roberts can make some sort of impact next year.

westdog54
23-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Bankers

Dahlhaus - Found myself watching in awe virtually every time he got the ball. At the risk of sounding like Bruce, geez he's fun to watch, isn't he?
Williams - Loving his work leading up the ground
Cross - The best overhead mark at the club and his courage defies belief at times.

Anchors

Cordy - A liability again. He is offering us absolutely no value as a full forward. Works nowhere near hard enough to impact on the game.
Murphy - Some very uncharacteristic and costly turnovers.
Higgins' hamstring - The poor bloke just can't take a trick.

Doc26
23-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Anchors

Cordy - A liability again. He is offering us absolutely no value as a full forward. Works nowhere near hard enough to impact on the game.
Murphy - Some very uncharacteristic and costly turnovers.
Higgins' hamstring - The poor bloke just can't take a trick.

Are Bob's turnovers really that uncharacteristic ? For all Murph's brilliance I have come to expect some awful disposal by foot.

Hotdog60
23-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Are Bob's turnovers really that uncharacteristic ? For all Murph's brilliance I have come to expect some awful disposal by foot.

Are Murph's clangers as a result of no clear targets up field and maybe players not working hard enough to give him a option.

KT31
23-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Are Murph's clangers as a result of no clear targets up field and maybe players not working hard enough to give him a option.

Love Bobby, but it has not been out of character for him over the years to put one out on the full, then two minutes later hit a target on the chest fifty metres away.

Maddog37
23-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I agree on Roughead who is better suited as a ruckman and Cordy whilst Jones has been unconvincing. The only reason Williams is playing up forward is because the others have been so poor. That doesn't alter the fact that Williams is better suited at CHB.

I believe that is your opinion and not a fact.

LostDoggy
23-07-2012, 11:29 AM
[/B]

Maddog37
23-07-2012, 11:40 AM

I never said it was a fact.

Ozza
23-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Bankers:

The positive signs from Jarrad Grant and Jason Tutt. Thought they both showed some good signs.
Dahlhaus playing as a more permanent forward - and getting on the scoreboard.
Williams - looks good as a lead up forward.

Anchors:

Cordy has been a worry for a few weeks. Doesn't look like taking a mark.
Higgins' injury - after 4 and a half good games in a row - a real shame he loses the continuity.
Chipping the ball sideways and bakwards - against a quick side, when our skills aren't good enough....and the ball has started 75-80 out from goal. Lake, Murphy, Cross the worst offenders - experienced players.
Veszpremi - disappointing night for him.

And a half banker/half anchor to Crossy. Superb marking over head - and overall had a good game - but gee his disposal puts us under the pump at times.

Mantis
23-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Chipping the ball sideways and bakwards - against a quick side, when our skills aren't good enough....and the ball has started 75-80 out from goal. Lake, Murphy, Cross the worst offenders - experienced players.

We were just asking for trouble weren't we?

We were having bets on which number kick in the sequence would cause the turnover that would result in the shot on goal from Carlton.... It was just so predictable.

LostDoggy
23-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Did I read it correct that DJ had only 2 possessions in almost 2 quarters? I noticed him about 10 times near the ball.
Did he fumble it that much?

bornadog
23-07-2012, 12:54 PM
We were just asking for trouble weren't we?

We were having bets on which number kick in the sequence would cause the turnover that would result in the shot on goal from Carlton.... It was just so predictable.

Funny thing is yesterday at Willi, the backline starting doing the same thing chipping it around when finally they kicked it straight to Werribee and they kicked a goal to put them up two goals at the 24 minute mark in the last. Almost cost them the game.

Ozza
23-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Funny thing is yesterday at Willi, the backline starting doing the same thing chipping it around when finally they kicked it straight to Werribee and they kicked a goal to put them up two goals at the 24 minute mark in the last. Almost cost them the game.

Sounds like the bad influence filtering down!

I understand there is a time and a place for it. I'm not one of those supporters that sit there yelling "Why are we going backwards? The goals are that way".....BUT....when you are within a long kick from goal - surely you send the ball in - or go long down the boundary line side. Brian Lake is a shocker for going backwards - his first option is always to look back and towards the centre.

In the last quarter - Scotland was in a similiar position 3 or 4 times. He went long and deep towards the boundary side. They were in front - and Scotland never seems to make the wrong decision. We just play some very dumb footy at times. With Betts and Gartlett ready to pounce.

Greystache
23-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Bankers

Dahlhaus- Provided about the only spark we've seen in two months

Williams- His work rate up forward was off the charts

Lake- Holding closed the flood gates at the moment

Anchors

Higgins hamstring- He was stringing together some very good footy over the past month. I commented at the game it was the best I'd seen him moving in a long time. Sure enough 5 mins later he does his hammy.

Boyd and Griffen's defensive efforts- How many times do they stop following their opponents once they get to their half forward line, only for them them to keep running and be on then end of a short pass into space and a shot on goal.

DJ- Has a genuine crack but just isn't an AFL footballer, it's time to make the call on him.

SlimPickens
23-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Noticed the Dahl and Picken both had over 20 pressure acts each. Considering Picken also had 13 tackles, that is phenomenal work without the footy in hand.

always right
24-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Bankers:

The positive signs from Jarrad Grant and Jason Tutt. Thought they both showed some good signs.
Dahlhaus playing as a more permanent forward - and getting on the scoreboard.
Williams - looks good as a lead up forward.

Anchors:

Cordy has been a worry for a few weeks. Doesn't look like taking a mark.
Higgins' injury - after 4 and a half good games in a row - a real shame he loses the continuity.
Veszpremi - disappointing night for him.

And a half banker/half anchor to Crossy. Superb marking over head - and overall had a good game - but gee his disposal puts us under the pump at times.

I think Crossy is unfairly maligned. I can't remember a single instance where he placed a teammate under pressure. In fact this has been a major improvement in his game this season.

Ghost Dog
24-07-2012, 12:14 AM
I think Crossy is unfairly maligned. I can't remember a single instance where he placed a teammate under pressure. In fact this has been a major improvement in his game this season.

Took some bloody great marks under pressure. Just a great mark for his size. I think he has actually improved his kicking this season. I Was not a fan last year but to be fair, has done everything asked of him. Warrior!

always right
24-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Took some bloody great marks under pressure. Just a great mark for his size. I think he has actually improved his kicking this season. I Was not a fan last year but to be fair, has done everything asked of him. Warrior!

IMO his disposals have been far more attacking. It is actually rare for him to chip it sideways. I would argue that Lake's disposals are (generally) less effective.

westdog54
24-07-2012, 12:25 AM
IMO his disposals have been far more attacking. It is actually rare for him to chip it sideways. I would argue that Lake's disposals are (generally) less effective.

This.

Crossy's kicking has improved out of sight this year. IT just goes to show you that professionalism and work ethic get you everywhere in football.

jeemak
24-07-2012, 12:41 AM

Funny, I've been a massive Cross basher over the last couple of years though since our game agains GWS I've had no complaints. Also, I thought some of his foot skill was significantly better than it has been in the past across the first half on Saturday night. What I did notice though, was some of his pressure acts and in close hands were a little off. Nothing to complain about though.

jeemak
24-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Bankers:

Grant - Some shoddy kicking was the only blight on a game where he presented, kicked goals and used the ball with excellent hands. He's actually looking like the most creative player we have with hands, aside from Wallis and Liberatore.

Williams - Needs to learn to get two hands in the air over the coming weeks, but presented and finished decisively.

Tutt - Classy player. He clearly needs to work his way to a point where he wins around 20 touches a game and nullifies his opponent, though he has pace, tenacity and is prepared to use the ball creatively. For mine, in the top handful of excting younger players we have on the list.

Anchors:

Senior skill errors - Our senior players need to have the resolve required to demonstrate reliability to those they are supposedly mentoring.

DJ - I have wanted to like the guy as a player, but he just doesn't generate enough ball and is too unsure of himself. We can't cuddle him anymore, he needs to be delisted.

Tackling - We had Murphy, Liberatore and Austin with zero tackles. The overall tackling numbers were terrible. If we're not going to be any good, we should at least tackle consistently. Get realistic Bulldogs, there's no excuse for that crap.

Sedat
24-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Brian Lake is a shocker for going backwards - his first option is always to look back and towards the centre.It must be a team rule because every single player in our defensive unit does it. Many of the same players would run and gun in the same position in years past. There's a time and place for tempo footy but there's also a time and place to take the game on - it is the latter area that we have been abysmal in this season, and it can't be the players because many of them have shown this ability in the past. The problem with malong this a team rule is that the opposition structure up accordingly because we are so predictable. And because we lack any semblance of skill, we struggle to retain possession using this game style.

Nobody has mentioned this anchor but a crowd of 24k for a Bulldogs v Carlton fixture is a pitiful crowd, irrespective of the position of both teams on the ladder. They are both co-tenants at Etihad FFS, and it was a perfect night for footy. Our fans are clearly voting with their feet and it is obvious that they do not like what they are seeing from a gameplan perspective. Slow, static ball movement and no run and dare whatsoever makes for an awfully tedious spectacle - I really hope that BMac has plans in place to add much quicker ball movement to the equation in 2013 because our crowds and memberships will only continue to head south if we continue serve up such a passive, unimaginitive, dull style of footy every week next season. The Geelong teams that he was an integral part of certainly didn't play such a static game style - quite the opposite in fact.