PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - 24 July 2012

bornadog
24-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

We did a lot right to create an opportunity to win the game against Carlton and then lost that opportunity in the last quarter — there were a significant number of one-on-one battles late in the game that they won which hurt us.

From a result point of view, purely short term, we certainly were disappointed with our inability to control the contest in the last quarter, which stopped us from getting our hands on the ball — the ball should’ve been retained in our forward 50 much better.

A big part of this game is that sometimes you have to learn the hard way, the best education and learning often comes off the back of a more experienced opponent pushing you out of the way. It happened last week to a couple of our midfielders and it happened again on Saturday night, but they’re the right type of people and they’ll learn quite quickly.

We saw Ryan Griffen build on some strong form from the week before. We were really pleased with a couple of our young players who had games they’d rather forget the week before and bounced back and showed they’re made of the right minerals.

A high number of our young players continued to show the sort of players they’re going to be for a long period of time.

We will keep coaching our players to go quick with the ball sometimes and that it’s ok at other times to hold the ball up and deal with what’s in front of them – we’ll keep practising it and implementing it under high pressure and that’s the only way we’ll know what type of players will take us forward and what type of personalities we want to build our team around.

We’re confident we are going to do all that – to build a Club around strong, resilient people, good team players and the type of people that the harder it gets the harder they fight.

Sincerely,

Brendan

KT31
25-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Could not find the post, but I'm positive B.Mac said we had a good list and it did not need much tweeking.
Now its, "want to build our team around" and "to build a Club around strong".
Call it what you like, refresh, rebuild, reboot, redux etc.
If the club doesn't pull its finger out soon and show some spirit we will be relocated.

Maddog37
25-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Is that last sentence aimed at the members?

AndrewP6
25-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Could not find the post, but I'm positive B.Mac said we had a good list and it did not need much tweeking.
Now its, "want to build our team around" and "to build a Club around strong".
Call it what you like, refresh, rebuild, reboot, redux etc.

Here's (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/19/mccartney-s-bulldogs-premiership-plan/) one where he says the list is 'healthy'

Desipura
25-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Here's (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/19/mccartney-s-bulldogs-premiership-plan/) one where he says the list is 'healthy'

Gee you love having a dig at him at any opportunity don't you?
Oh well, I guess you are not alone.

azabob
25-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Andrew in fairness in the same article he also said,

“So there’s a little bit of a refresh, there’s a rebuild.”

AndrewP6
25-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Andrew in fairness in the same article he also said,

“So there’s a little bit of a refresh, there’s a rebuild.”

True -even he didn't know the right word to use! :)

azabob
25-07-2012, 08:58 PM
True -even he didn't know the right word to use! :)

I think he wanted to say rebuild, but preferred to toe the company line so early on. :)

Cyberdoggie
26-07-2012, 12:45 PM
To be honest i dont' really care about all the jargon used if you are or are not rebuilding etc, what does bother me is that we couldn't even beat a limp Carlton side with no Judd, no Walker no ruckman, and heaps of others with a near full strength side and being 20 odd points up for most of the match.

Again we struggled to score after half time.