PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs may split with Williamstown

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 12:13 PM
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6421/gettmiimage.jpg

THE alignment between the Western Bulldogs and Williamstown appears on is last legs as a major shakeup in the VFL continues.

With both clubs weighing up their options after a tense season, there is a strong chance the Bulldogs will now field stand-alone side in the state competition next season.
In what would be a popular move for fans, the team could potentially play out of Whitten Oval with selected games further afield in the western suburbs.
It is understood the Seagulls held a board meeting last Friday night to discuss moves to break away from the Dogs after a season of bickering over the delicate balancing act between winning games and developing young AFL listed players.
Williamstown general manager Brendan Curry last night refused to speculate on when the alignment would end, but he earlier this month said the Seagulls were eyeing a stand alone existence.

Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said the club had a "strategic objective" to have a stand-alone team at some time in the future.
Both clubs have an agreement in place until the end of 2014, but that can still end if Williamstown walks.
The VFL is already expanding to 14 teams next season, with Essendon and Bendigo parting ways to create separate teams in the feeder league.
Richmond and Coburg will combine for the final time next season, before the Tigers go it alone in 2014.
The Dogs remain diplomatic about the relationship with Williamstown, but the move to have their own team would be a significant boost to senior coach Brendan McCartney's teaching methods.
It would cost the Dogs about $400,000 to join the likes of Collingwood, Geelong and the Bombers in fielding their own reserves team.
With the landscape changing at a rapid pace in the VFL, the league's general manager Grant Williams will detail plans for the future in this weekend's VFL Record.
Williams and other AFL Victoria staffers are adamant there is no crisis despite the latest spat between aligned clubs.
"The competition will always be evolving," Williams said.
He denied speculation that all AFL clubs would jump ship and end alignments.
"There will always be a combination of partial alignments, alignments and stand alone teams," Williams said.
"We think the standard of competition is very good and provides ample opportunity for AFL players to develop and gives ample opportunity for non-listed AFL players to develop as well."
Williams distanced himself from any tension between aligned clubs, saying that was a matter for the clubs.
But AFL Victoria has been in discussions with both clubs on an on-going basis.
Williams confirmed that it was possible that 15 VFL team competition could be next year if the Dogs and Seagulls split.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-may-split-with-williamstown/story-e6frf9jf-1226435138339

OLD SCRAGGer
26-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Play games at Whitten Oval under the name of FOOTSCRAY>>>>would LOVE that to happen:)

SlimPickens
26-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Reckon the split might be inevitable. Although mildly disappointed, long term I can see the value in having an exclusive Bulldogs reserve team with top up players.

Also watching a doggies team run around at WO on a fortnightly basis will pretty cool.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Where are we going to find the cash?

anfo27
26-07-2012, 01:26 PM

My thoughts exactly. Would love to see us go it alone but can we afford to do it?

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Reckon the split might be inevitable. Although mildly disappointed, long term I can see the value in having an exclusive Bulldogs reserve team with top up players.

Also watching a doggies team run around at WO on a fortnightly basis will pretty cool.

Agree SlimPickens. In the long run it would be a very good thing for us. Collingwood and Geelong have gone down that route. If we don't get our own stand alone team who do you think we may align with?

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Agree SlimPickens. In the long run it would be a very good thing for us. Collingwood and Geelong have gone down that route. If we don't get our own stand alone team who do you think we may align with?

Coburg's probably the only choice and I don't think they'll be much help, from what I hear they're in dire straits right now.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Coburg's probably the only choice and I don't think they'll be much help, from what I hear they're in dire straits right now.

We would have to maybe go with a VFL which is unaligned and in good financial state.

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 02:19 PM
We would have to maybe go with a VFL which is unaligned and in good financial state.

Only Port Melbourne fits into this criteria and there is no way they'll align with anyone.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said the club had a "strategic objective" to have a stand-alone team at some time in the future.

Looks like its inevitable at some stage in the future.

I think Macca has been totally unfair to Williamstown this year and has not respected the agreement we had with Willi. I can understand where he is coming from but.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 02:24 PM

Sponsorship

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Only Port Melbourne fits into this criteria and there is no way they'll align with anyone.

Yeah I would say Port Melbourne would not want to align with anyone. Frankston I believe is another VFL which is unaligned. Not sure of what their financial state.

Mantis
26-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Sponsorship

How achievable is this considering our standing within the AFL community?

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Looks like its inevitable at some stage in the future.

I think Macca has been totally unfair to Williamstown this year and has not respected the agreement we had with Willi. I can understand where he is coming from but.

Also can understand he wants to develop players his own way but this is what is in place and he should work with Willy.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 02:33 PM

I think its more of a factor of the economic situation coupled with whether our marketing department are able to achieve it.

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah I would say Port Melbourne would not want to align with anyone. Frankston I believe is another VFL which is unaligned. Not sure of what their financial state.

Frankston are already signing VFL players for next season who aren't getting games because of AFL alignment. Seems like they've got no intention of aligning either.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Frankston are already signing VFL players for next season who aren't getting games because of AFL alignment. Seems like they've got no intention of aligning either.

I believe also that Essendon and Bendigo are parting ways also. They will be unaligned as well but they also probably don't want to align with anyone.

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I believe also that Essendon and Bendigo are parting ways also. They will be unaligned as well but they also probably don't want to align with anyone.

From what I can gather Bendigo are pretty excited about going alone. No one here thinks they can pull it off though. Their last Bendigo team, The Diggers was a disaster. Players around here are committed to their BFL teams and not many want to make the move to a VFL club.

Cyberdoggie
26-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Do Eastcoast Jeans still exist? :D

Maybe a local pub might sponsor us.

I can see it now, Westernbulldogs AFL team.......sponsored by "the plough hotel".

Cyberdoggie
26-07-2012, 03:24 PM
From what I can gather Bendigo are pretty excited about going alone. No one here thinks they can pull it off though. Their last Bendigo team, The Diggers was a disaster. Players around here are committed to their BFL teams and not many want to make the move to a VFL club.

Not with the money on offer.

A big problem with VFL teams and in particular stand alone ones.

One or two players can earn a decent sum but the majority will earn more in local leagues,
so unless your trying to impress afl scouts after missing out on being drafted there isn't a lot of upside to playing with a side like Bendigo if your a local.

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Not with the money on offer.

A big problem with VFL teams and in particular stand alone ones.

One or two players can earn a decent sum but the majority will earn more in local leagues,
so unless your trying to impress afl scouts after missing out on being drafted there isn't a lot of upside to playing with a side like Bendigo if your a local.

Pretty much CyberDoggie. The Bendigo community just didn't warm to the Diggers either and once they became the Bendigo Bombers they treated the town like crap and rarely showed up here, it was pretty much just Essendon wankers who supported them. The BFL comp is still #1 here and it's going to take a lot to pry, not only players away but supporters as well.

angelopetraglia
26-07-2012, 04:04 PM
We have to find the money. We have no other choice. If we can't, we basically are condemning ourselves to the bottom half of the ladder. We had the same challenges in regards to facilities and we managed a way to close this gap.

To compete with the best teams we need to the ability to nurture and develop our own talent. The only way to do this is with our own stand alone team in the VFL.

You only have to look at the talent that Geelong and Collingwood have produced through their stand alone VFL teams.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 04:08 PM
We have to find the money. We have no other choice. If we can't, we basically are condemning ourselves to the bottom half of the ladder. We had the same challenges in regards to facilities and we managed a way to close this gap.

To compete with the best teams we need to the ability to nurture and develop our own talent. The only way to do this is with our own stand alone team in the VFL.

You only have to look at the talent that Geelong and Collingwood have produced through their stand alone VFL teams.

Quite right angelopetraglia. We need to have our own stand alone team to produce that talent. Essendon will probably go down this route as well now and probably Richmond according to the article as they are going to split from Coburg in the next year or so.

Jeanette54
26-07-2012, 04:19 PM
If a stand alone "Footscray" VFL side can somehow use the (now) excellent facilities at Western Oval, alongside our current team; then the advantages to player/team development are even more obvious.

Almost back to the days of the seniors and the twos.

Now if we could only arrange for the "twos" to play a curtain raiser before the main game....... :-)

Oh, dream on !!

How readily the AFL squandered the fans love of watching their developing players when it dumped the reserves competition.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 04:47 PM
How readily the AFL squandered the fans love of watching their developing players when it dumped the reserves competition.

Biggest mistake made by the AFL ever.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I agree BAD. Great idea!

Remi Moses
26-07-2012, 05:19 PM

Exactly my thoughts.
It's to difficult a juggling act, In fairness every club is "resting" players as we're playingthe most physically demanding sport in the world.

Remi Moses
26-07-2012, 05:22 PM
If a stand alone "Footscray" VFL side can somehow use the (now) excellent facilities at Western Oval, alongside our current team; then the advantages to player/team development are even more obvious.

Almost back to the days of the seniors and the twos.

Now if we could only arrange for the "twos" to play a curtain raiser before the main game....... :-)

Oh, dream on !!

To much. Next you' ll be asking to have a kick on the ground after a game!!
Then they'll be training at 5 o'clock on a Thursday!
Just to much

Axe Man
26-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here for a second, if having a stand alone reserves side is such an advantage, why don't all the clubs do it? Obviously us, North and maybe Melbourne may struggle for the cash, but surely the other clubs could afford it. In particular does anybody know why Hawthorn still align with Box Hill? They have plenty of money for a stand alone side, yet it doesn't seem to be hurting their on field results at present.

On a side note, if AFL clubs increasingly choose to go alone, surely an AFL reserves comp would have to be reinstated and split from the VFL? Otherwise there will be +20 sides in the VFL!

Maddog37
26-07-2012, 05:32 PM
4,000 members put in $100 each. I would be more than happy to go for that.

chef
26-07-2012, 06:00 PM
If we are going to play home games at the WO then they need to put a fence around the ground.

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 06:04 PM
If we are going to play home games at the WO then they need to put a fence around the ground.

I'm sure we could organise a fencer between now and the start of next year. :)

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 06:05 PM

When the redevelopment was happening at WO it's purpose was to upgrade the training facilities and not actually play any games there although they did play one VFL game there this year. Maybe we could have a partial alliance with 2 VFL teams like North Melbourne have with Werribee and North Ballarat.

Remi Moses
26-07-2012, 06:10 PM
When the redevelopment was happening at WO it's purpose was to upgrade the training facilities and not actually play any games there although they did play one VFL game there this year. Maybe we could have a partial alliance with 2 VFL teams like North Melbourne have with Werribee and North Ballarat.

That would be a disaster. What sort of development is that for the Norf players?

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 06:15 PM
That would be a disaster. What sort of development is that for the Norf players?

Not a good idea. Well it seems we have 2 choices. Align with another VFL team or make a stand alone team.

craigsahibee
26-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Great Idea.

$8.50 a month extra for Bulldog for Life members on the Direct Debit plan.

Works for me.

w3design
26-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm sure we could organise a fencer between now and the start of next year. :)

The big worry re fencing the oval might be getting it past the council. If I recall correctly they own the oval, and probably see it as a public park.
I guess this could be overcome by leaving the gates open when no game is in progress. But that would mean using 'Common Sense'. Not something councils on the whole are well known for unfortunately.

Footscray back playing at the Whitten Oval.... Ahhh the heart sings at the thought.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 06:54 PM
The big worry re fencing the oval might be getting it past the council. If I recall correctly they own the oval, and probably see it as a public park.
I guess this could be overcome by leaving the gates open when no game is in progress. But that would mean using 'Common Sense'. Not something councils on the whole are well known for unfortunately.

Footscray back playing at the Whitten Oval.... Ahhh the heart sings at the thought.

Might be cheaper to not have a fence and just have a collection with a bucket and some coins:D

Scraggers
26-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Might be cheaper to not have a fence and just have a collection with a bucket and some coins:D

The Hyde Street Band and a blanket

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Ahh. Didn't even think of that. Fair point.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Collingwood play their VFL games at Victoria Park and it doesn't have a fence.

Greystache
26-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Something like that would be a good idea.

I think the reserves team should be called Footscray, and we could have a Footscray membership add on for say $50 to Western Bulldogs memberships which gets you into all Whitten Oval matches

GVGjr
26-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I think the club needs to have a real think about this. If you play games at the Whitten Oval and call the team Footscray I think there would be a reasonable portion of supporters that would drop off the Western Bulldogs completely unless they were finals bound.

chef
26-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Collingwood play their VFL games at Victoria Park and it doesn't have a fence.

They are also loaded and can afford to lose money on their VFL team.

Greystache
26-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I think the club needs to have a real think about this. If you play games at the Whitten Oval and call the team Footscray I think there would be a reasonable portion of supporters that would drop off the Western Bulldogs completely unless they were finals bound.

It may also bring back the supposed thousands of members who dropped off due to the name change, not that I believe there's as many as some make out.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 08:07 PM

Very good point GVGjr. Maybe just call them Western Bulldogs the same as the senior team.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 09:09 PM

Assuming Willi says they want to go it alone. Whats your solution to the situation?

Remi Moses
26-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Couldn't see people dropping off the seniors to be honest, just to watch the two's.
Playing interstate you'd find people would go watch the VFL team.

Dazza
26-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I'd go to every home Western Bulldogs game.

Probably watch the VFL when we play away. Including playing the Vic sides as the away side. Especially if the VFL game is at Whitten oval.

GVGjr
26-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Assuming Willi says they want to go it alone. Whats your solution to the situation?

We shouldn't need a solution. Williamstown would only want to go it alone because we have been negligent. Lets re-do our commitments and make sure we honor them. Right at this moment I see more downside than upside in going it alone.
We already have a declining membership and we have a massively declining participation in people attending our games. To give people a viable and especially an emotional alternative could see an acceleration of people dropping off from buying a membership.
I also think the cost of $400,00 that's being quoted is either a very low ball estimate or at best a shoestring budget to work with.

I'd love to see us playing games at the Whitten Oval and calling us Footscray but I want to do it when the timing is right and it has the best chance of success. I'm just not confident it's the right time for us.

GVGjr
26-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Couldn't see people dropping off the seniors to be honest, just to watch the two's.
Playing interstate you'd find people would go watch the VFL team.

So why don't they go and watch Williamstown except for when we were in the GF?

GVGjr
26-07-2012, 10:07 PM
It may also bring back the supposed thousands of members who dropped off due to the name change, not that I believe there's as many as some make out.

It won't. At best they are conditional supporters not loyal ones.
You might get a few hundred but you won't get a few thousand.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 10:17 PM
It won't. At best they are conditional supporters not loyal ones.
You might get a few hundred but you won't get a few thousand.

The VFL don't attract big crowds unless it's a big derby or big match.

bornadog
26-07-2012, 10:53 PM
We shouldn't need a solution. Williamstown would only want to go it alone because we have been negligent. Lets re-do our commitments and make sure we honor them. Right at this moment I see more downside than upside in going it alone.
We already have a declining membership and we have a massively declining participation in people attending our games. To give people a viable and especially an emotional alternative could see an acceleration of people dropping off from buying a membership.
I also think the cost of $400,00 that's being quoted is either a very low ball estimate or at best a shoestring budget to work with.

I'd love to see us playing games at the Whitten Oval and calling us Footscray but I want to do it when the timing is right and it has the best chance of success. I'm just not confident it's the right time for us.

I don't agree we should call the VFL side Footscray, it will only start a whole movement and conflict between the bring back he Footscray name versus the Western Bulldogs name and split the supporters.

BTW, you say we have been negligent, you can blame that one on the coach;)

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 11:10 PM

You have to go to games live to have seen that.

GVGjr
26-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't agree we should call the VFL side Footscray, it will only start a whole movement and conflict between the bring back he Footscray name versus the Western Bulldogs name and split the supporters.

Fully agree.

When the original Williamstown and Werribee alignment was shelved it was a huge mistake and the reason we were given was costs.

The next one was working with just Werribee but we wanted more and it fell apart badly.

Williamstown have bended more than anybody but we apparently want more than that so we might have to go it alone.

If the first option couldn't work because of costs I'm not sure how the go it alone one will be covered. If Brendan McCartney is the cause of it then he must have a convincing argument that the cost will be minimised by fast tracking the players. I don't see that happening quickly.

Personally I'd rather beef up the coaching ranks with a couple of more decent assistant coaches.

azabob
26-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Fully agree.

Personally I'd rather beef up the coaching ranks with a couple of more decent assistant coaches.

Couple as in addition or replacing? I can't see the replacing happening, unless someone from above says something. McCartney has brought across King and Grant so one would think only Montgomery would go out of the three.

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Fully agree.

When the original Williamstown and Werribee alignment was shelved it was a huge mistake and the reason we were given was costs.

The next one was working with just Werribee but we wanted more and it fell apart badly.

Williamstown have bended more than anybody but we apparently want more than that so we might have to go it alone.

If the first option couldn't work because of costs I'm not sure how the go it alone one will be covered. If Brendan McCartney is the cause of it then he must have a convincing argument that the cost will be minimised by fast tracking the players. I don't see that happening quickly.

Do you think GVG that we could align ourselves either with Werribee or North Ballarat. North Melbourne are partially aligned to both at the moment but North could stay with Werribee and we could align with North Ballarat. Could that work.

Ghost Dog
27-07-2012, 12:33 AM
No point it being Footscray. Be proud of where we are and move on. What of the VFL though? When we have a side that is purely for development, and not trying that hard to win, won't it damage the comp?

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 02:38 AM
So why don't they go and watch Williamstown except for when we were in the GF?

What I've seen at Willy games there's a fair sized portion of Dog fans.
I actually follow Port Melb, but went to see our younger players .

Hotdog60
27-07-2012, 06:36 AM
I for one wouldn't mind a stand alone team in the VFL. But I would call it Western Bulldogs still and the positive points I can see are if it was free entry and the club relied on merchandise, food drink and supporter gear for income. Parents would take their kids along because it's a free day out and then get the kids following the team with a bit of luck and then become future members of the main team.
Our kids can get fast tracked and be played in positions that we want to develop them in. I still like the idea of Hill and Panos as a forword combo and at this level in our own team this could of been happening for the season.

We get to see if players are up for it maybe earlier into their careers and or if we want to pursue them more and the game plan should be the same in the Seniors as in the reserves which should help player grasp their role in the team more quickly.

Points raised loss of main members but if the club is doing well at both levels could we gain future members with the free exposure. Cost is a telling factor and local merchants may like the idea of the lower financial cost at a lower level than in the main group so you may gain a little bit of sponsorship and be wise with the selling on a game day.

Also the club would need to have games played that didn't clash with the dogs AFL fixture some supporters can get to both games.

Ghost Dog
27-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I for one wouldn't mind a stand alone team in the VFL. But I would call it Western Bulldogs still and the positive points I can see are if it was free entry and the club relied on merchandise, food drink and supporter gear for income. Parents would take their kids along because it's a free day out and then get the kids following the team with a bit of luck and then become future members of the main team.

Also the club would need to have games played that didn't clash with the dogs AFL fixture some supporters can get to both games.

Mr Hotdog, I love your work.

LostDoggy
27-07-2012, 09:30 AM
If we can afford the cost to be in charge of our own development then do it.
If they don't want us and all the positives we have then tell them where to go!
Its not a one way street, we have done plenty for them over the years. It's not like it's been ideal for us.

Like to see them prosper in the bastardized competition that the vfl now is.

soupman
27-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I have a different question to those raised in this thread. Team balance and what will it affect?

For example, last weekend non AFL playing players make up the following stand alone VFL side:

FB: Addison, Talia, Mulligan
HB: Hargrave, Roberts, ...
C: Moles, Smith, JJ
HF: Panos, Jones, Hooper
FF: Skinner, Hill, Roughead
R: Campbell, Greenwood, Jong

Redpath

Look at all the massive players that are impractical to play together, and this is considering Markovic is out as well. Without a VFL reserves side we are forced to play all these big blokes together, should we have this many on our squad. Does this mean we recruit less big blokes because they will only stifle eachothers development?

I'm just not sure how we are meant to field a side that has 6 massive guys all spending time up forward in Hill, Jones, Roughead, Panos, Redpath and Campbell, when they are all by and large big strong marking targets with maybe a couple of leading forwards amongst them. Ball hits the ground and our crumbers are nowere to be seen because a) we don't have any and b) the ones we potentially have are forced to play as midfielders because the above mentioned certainly can't play through the middle.

bornadog
27-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a different question to those raised in this thread. Team balance and what will it affect?

For example, last weekend non AFL playing players make up the following stand alone VFL side:

FB: Addison, Talia, Mulligan
HB: Hargrave, Roberts, ...
C: Moles, Smith, JJ
HF: Panos, Jones, Hooper
FF: Skinner, Hill, Roughead
R: Campbell, Greenwood, Jong

Redpath

Look at all the massive players that are impractical to play together, and this is considering Markovic is out as well. Without a VFL reserves side we are forced to play all these big blokes together, should we have this many on our squad. Does this mean we recruit less big blokes because they will only stifle eachothers development?

I'm just not sure how we are meant to field a side that has 6 massive guys all spending time up forward in Hill, Jones, Roughead, Panos, Redpath and Campbell, when they are all by and large big strong marking targets with maybe a couple of leading forwards amongst them. Ball hits the ground and our crumbers are nowere to be seen because a) we don't have any and b) the ones we potentially have are forced to play as midfielders because the above mentioned certainly can't play through the middle.

I think you will find teams like Collingwood, Geelong have players that are just VFL players, otherwise as you say, team balance will be right out. Of Course these players have to be on the payroll and will cost extra.

SlimPickens
27-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I think you will find teams like Collingwood, Geelong have players that are just VFL players, otherwise as you say, team balance will be right out. Of Course these players have to be on the payroll and will cost extra.

Correct but really VFL seniors get what roughly $500 a game which in the scheme of things isn't a huge amount of money.

Having our own team could also allows us to invite players down for the season to have a closer look at them for the year and see how they respond to our coaching, our plans etc

KT31
27-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Correct but really VFL seniors get what roughly $500 a game which in the scheme of things isn't a huge amount of money.

Having our own team could also allows us to invite players down for the season to have a closer look at them for the year and see how they respond to our coaching, our plans etc

Agree, and say with a dozen core VFL players it will also strengthen our training stocks.
Players who had been forced to train at Willy, will now train with the main group 100% of the time.
We will also have the main say on who plays where on the weekends.
Footy back at Whitten could only be a good thing.
Would also give us a chance to add to our nine flags.

soupman
27-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Thats not the issue I see. I understand that we will draft in extras to fill out the squad.

My issue is to do with the type of players in our side ie. All year we have heard supporters complain about how top heavy the Bulldogs are. How 3 ruckmen is too much, that our forwardline has too many big blokes. My point is that by having a stand alone side we aren't fielding a VFL reserves side, which means all of our players play senior VFL. This means that depending on the Bulldogs selection and injuries, we may have 3 ruckmen playing in the same side in the VFL. Tom Hill recently has been playing VFL reserves because Willy's forwardline is too tall to put him in the mix too.

Basically, without having a thirds side that we can drop players to, we are forced to play everybody in the same side no matter the effect on team balance. This means theoretically that our forwardline could be made up of 6 key forwards, all getting in the way of eachother.

LostDoggy
27-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Thats not the issue I see. I understand that we will draft in extras to fill out the squad.

My issue is to do with the type of players in our side ie. All year we have heard supporters complain about how top heavy the Bulldogs are. How 3 ruckmen is too much, that our forwardline has too many big blokes. My point is that by having a stand alone side we aren't fielding a VFL reserves side, which means all of our players play senior VFL. This means that depending on the Bulldogs selection and injuries, we may have 3 ruckmen playing in the same side in the VFL. Tom Hill recently has been playing VFL reserves because Willy's forwardline is too tall to put him in the mix too.

Basically, without having a thirds side that we can drop players to, we are forced to play everybody in the same side no matter the effect on team balance. This means theoretically that our forwardline could be made up of 6 key forwards, all getting in the way of eachother.
I don't see that as a problem more an advantage.
They are playing together developing, not in the 3rd rate vfl reserves. Think Geelong and collingwood are doing ok with it.
The 3 rucks were in the seniors and none were playing at Williamstown.

w3design
28-07-2012, 01:17 PM
If we can afford it, I think we must go with the stand alone option. While I would miss going down to Willy, Whitten Oval games would more than make up for that.

Now sorry but, a VFL side should definitely be Footscray and NOT the Western Bulldogs.
There is a long and glorious tradition of Footcray the VFL side. There is no history of a WB side in the VFL.
I am quite sure people are bright enough to not get confused by the two different club names, and am equally certain it would gain far more fan support than it would lose to any confusion. Particularly now that the WB are wearing a Footscray jumper these days.

I would be happy with the idea espoused earlier of paying a $50/ season [ or whatever] surcharge on my membership to also become a 'Footscray member' in order to support the project financially as well.

Yes we could use the team to look at potential recruits to see if they have the right stuff, but it might also extend for an extra year or two the careers of ageing stars, allowing them to avoid the cold turkey finishes to distinguished careers. The other obvious benefit of this would be new kids getting to play with and learn from champions earlier in their development.