PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to bring back the Reserves to the AFL

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 04:06 PM
With the VFL clubs starting to look more closely at thier games suggesting that the AFL club interference in the playing style is hurting them, is it time to bring back the old reserves style game, played pre match at the ground?

bornadog
26-07-2012, 04:50 PM
With the VFL clubs starting to look more closely at thier games suggesting that the AFL club interference in the playing style is hurting them, is it time to bring back the old reserves style game, played pre match at the ground?

Yes, I agree, its time to bring them back. Attendance has been falling rapidly at games this year and part of the reason is live TV. If the reserves were playing, and not telecast live, then I think fans would attend earlier to games and watch the boys developing.

Of course this would cost more with flying teams around the country, so would that mean its a state by state proposition?

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 06:01 PM
My boss is a recruiter with Hawthorn he says it would add additional 2m to each club.

Remi Moses
26-07-2012, 06:06 PM
How?

Eastdog
26-07-2012, 06:07 PM
My boss is a recruiter with Hawthorn he says it would add additional 2m to each club.

That sounds very good financially if that is the case.

G-Mo77
26-07-2012, 06:09 PM
How?

Yes, how?

azabob
26-07-2012, 06:12 PM

How?

Yes, how?

Could Savage mean cost each club 2 million?

bornadog
26-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Could Savage mean cost each club 2 million?

I think so, but can't see how?

Axe Man
26-07-2012, 06:36 PM
This is pure guess work from me but I would imagine that the operating costs at the grounds to have another game before hand could be prohibitive in some cases. We all know that Etihad costs a fortune to operate and we require a decent crowd before we break even. Opening the gates earlier and playing another game would inevitably increase the operating costs. It's also worth remembering the AFL sides like to warm up on the ground well before the start of the match.

It would be great to have the reserves play before the seniors again but I can't see it happening too often (may work at Geelong). If an AFL reserves comp was to get up again it may be more economical to play the matches at the old suburban grounds; Whitten Oval, Vic Park, Arden Street, Windy Hill, etc (no idea if all the grounds are fit for matches these days).

w3design
26-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Docklands playing surface would not survive a doubling of games unfortunately.

I think the answer is a state based rather than national 2nd tier comp.
Best would be a two tier VFL, with promotion/demotion system like the UK soccer system played at VFL and old local grounds. This accommodating the increased number of teams [AFL stand alone ] without abandoning our quite good second tier comp [ VFL], or starting a whole new league.
Although the scheduling could be complex, playing the VFL level games alternate to the AFL team's matches, so fans are not forced to choose between attending one or the other.
When an AFL and VFL co-game is scheduled, that could be played as a double header special. This could be akin [ particularly for the poorer clubs] to the Anzac Day and Dream Time matches etc, that the big clubs get. This would pull in larger crowds [ and more money], defraying extra venue costs, and maybe helping struggling clubs financially.
So many die-hard fans really miss the ressies comp.,this could boost interest for fans. I am sure it would attract more interest in Victoria than watching GWS playing Fremantle on pay TV. It would also give an interest to fill in the bye rounds with something at least.

Such a system could give opportunities to more players to prove their potential to AFL clubs. Right now the numbers of players who had initially fallen through the cracks, but have been picked up lately as mature aged recruits, suggests there is an untapped pool of talent still out there crying out for a second chance at the big time. This could be their door way.